Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino

I don't like the new thumbnails. Haivng text on them was why I liked them and how they stood out from the crowd. One of the new ones was even misleading.

I also remember Linus mentioning on a WAN show that they have rejected questionable sponsors in the past. But after seeing Youtuber HonorTheCall finding out some questionable stuff about one of their CES sponsors, I'm not sure that is the case anymore

3 hours ago, AxelRantila said:

I don't like the new thumbnails. Haivng text on them was why I liked them and how they stood out from the crowd. One of the new ones was even misleading.

I also remember Linus mentioning on a WAN show that they have rejected questionable sponsors in the past. But after seeing Youtuber HonorTheCall finding out some questionable stuff about one of their CES sponsors, I'm not sure that is the case anymore

Interesting...

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

Hey if you don't like the shocked faces he makes on the youtube thumbnails then go pay for and watch the videos they put out on vessel...............................:D

6 minutes ago, fdz said:

*snip*

Thread merged with the existing one.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

I'll just quote what I had said in another thread.

I totally agree with the clickbait style thumbnails and titles as they have gotten worse recently. I get it that's the current trend with youtube but it just makes them look "unprofessional", for a lack of a better word.  I don't understand the need to present themselves like Buzzfeed when their videos are clearly better that that.

As for video content sometimes being inconsistent, I think this is partially the product of having to produce videos for 3 channels. Plus their main channel has at least 1 new video uploaded everyday. That's a pretty hefty workload. Sometimes quality may suffer a bit when you have to worry about quantity. However, their hands are sort of tied as part of being a relevant youtuber is to have new content on a consistent basis. Also, keep in mind that the more videos they upload, the more ad spots they can offer to potential sponsors, and these built in ads are where the majority of the income comes from.

It's amazing to see how much LTT has grown from its humble beginnings inside Linus's garage to currently having their own studio in a multi-unit warehouse.  The channel has shifted away from its roots where they do unboxings/building guides/actual in-depth reviews to a more broader, generalized approach, with a more mainstream appeal.  Personally, I likes his older videos better.  I find myself not watching his new stuff on a more frequent basis as sometimes I find it to be shallow.  Maybe the analytics speak otherwise, but some of the new videos just don't appeal to me. I guess I'm in the minority

Well this is just childish, moving the Thread into Off Topic when its critism about the direction of the channel. I will check the channel here and there to see if they returned from their trip. Until then i am out until they get their act together.

Not going to lie, but this thread is the childish thing.

I don't like the new thumbnail style as much as the next person, but get used to it. That style is not going anywhere for a while. Now I don't think it was the best idea to start the format before and during CES but that is what happened. 

Screenshot (103).pngWhile I'm not bothered like anyone else about the Thumbnails that include their faces, it seems to me that @LinusTech and @Slick are sort of doing a case study if their target audience would like it or not. It seems that the temperament and sense of humor of a lot of LTT's viewers are like that of a 6th grader. Maybe they can shed some light about this for tomorrow's WAN show.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Now I know, this topic has already raised some attention among you fellow LTT viewers. I just wanted to express my personal opinion, as professional as possible, on this emotional matter.

For me personally, the new thumbnails are just another reason to stop watching LTT videos. The amount of overacting is just too damn high.

I watch LTT videos for the jokes and the interesting projects, so I didn't miss much by not watching the entire CES videos. I really hope that the new thumbnail format was just a condition of AMD so they would sponsor the CES videos.

There are many YouTube creators that i found very honest and friendly, but stopped watching because there thumbnails, video names or just the videos in general got way to aggressive and overreactive.

I really hope that LTT is not going to be one of these creators.

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.25.45.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.25.54.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.26.00.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.26.30.png

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 11.26.43.png

Its annoying for me too, but from what I heard, it gets them more viewers that way or something. @nicklmg

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

6 minutes ago, rn8686 said:

Its annoying for me too, but from what I heard, it gets them more viewers that way or something. @nicklmg

Click bait, "appealing" thumbnails, that's what gets you views these days, unfortunately...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

7 minutes ago, Integer93 said:

For me personally, the new thumbnails are just another reason not to stop watching LTT videos

So you like the new thumbnails? Your entire post is very conflicting.

I would have posted this in one of the several threads that are already discussing the said subject. No need to create an entire new thread just to voice your opinion.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

I dont like them.

My brother said he did stop watching any videos because of it.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

5 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

So you like the new thumbnails? Your entire post is very conflicting.

I would have posted this in one of the several threads that are already discussing the said subject. No need to create an entire new thread just to voice your opinion.

No i don't like the thumbnails. I Just forgot to delete one 'not'.

Yes maybe i should just write a reply to the other Topics. But I wanted to make a personal statement without people screaming clickbait all around me.

5 minutes ago, Integer93 said:

No i don't like the thumbnails. I Just forgot to delete one 'not'.

Yes maybe i should just write a reply to the other Topics. But I wanted to make a personal statement without people screaming clickbait all around me.

Trust me, a lot of people (I'm not talking about the ones who are saying it's 'clickbait') are sharing the exact same concern. Particularly in this forum.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

10 hours ago, FinalplayerRyu said:

Well this is just childish, moving the Thread into Off Topic when its critism about the direction of the channel. I will check the channel here and there to see if they returned from their trip. Until then i am out until they get their act together.

Should be glad that  this was not deleted. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 1/11/2017 at 8:55 AM, SSL said:

You can say what you like. I simply fail to see what is childish about discussing Linus using clickbait to increase views.

Could it be that you just disagree, but don't know how to articulate a meaningful rebuttal?

I remembered playing league of legend when people try to insult you: "whoa, look at mommy's good boy, mom tell you to shut down pc right?? that's why you dc just now" &" whoa..25 years old already still behave like a kid" And who talks like that??? Kid. Simple as that. My point is , don't need to argue with them... cos more than likely they won't give you an justifiable answer.... 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

There's nothing wrong with the tumbnails, I mean you watch the video not look at the tumbnail. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

I don't see what is the problem here really. You get what you clicked for unlike real clickbait link.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

i really don't understand why people keep calling these thumbnails click baitly when they are not. its not like the put a nude picture of luke for a  thumbnail then have never have him nude in the video then its click bait.

11 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

i really don't understand why people keep calling these thumbnails click baitly when they are not. its not like the put a nude picture of luke for a  thumbnail then have never have him nude in the video then its click bait.

1) Some thumbnails do contain things which are never in the video, such as their laptop revival video never containing water (from what I've heard).

2) Whether or not it is "clickbait" is kind of irrelevant. They look like crap and are flat out embarrassing regardless of if they are clickbait or not.

With that being said, there are plenty of threads about it already. We don't really need another one.

Hello chaps,

I'm writing this because I'm quite discouraged by the recent influx of "Click Bait" that Linus Media Group(LMG) has been using on their videos.  I find it's becoming more and more often,(the WORST of them being "How to revive your old laptop").  Right down to the thumbnail it's become click bait, and it coincides with the recent increase in paid promotion spots, take with that what you will(e.g. the Toyota video). I know that I'm not the only one who's become discouraged by these titles, although I don't mind paid promotion spots because they blatantly state what it is unlike some.  

For such a professional media group, it feels slightly amateur of them to traverse this route and, not to mention what it feels like being a long time user. It feels as though they're now, trying to cater to a new audience leaving the one they built, behind.  Hopefully they change, stop the nonsensical titles and go back to their roots.  Normally this type of thing doesn't upset me, but having been a member of the LTT community for as long as I have this honestly bugged me.

Anyhow, apologies for the short rant but I know I'm not alone in this argument.

Cheers!

Here are a few examples, and you can say "He cut out the replies on purpose", I didn't. Go to each respective video and look at the replies.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor