Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino
2 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Honestly, who really cares what the thumbnail for the video looks like?

Clearly a lot of people from the comments and threads that keep being made.

2 minutes ago, MEC-777 said:

Some people seem have way too much time on their hands to complain about the most mundane, silly things. 

I could say you have way too much time on your hands to reply about the most mundane, silly thing.

3 minutes ago, Krytern said:

Clearly a lot of people from the comments and threads that keep being made.

I could say you have way too much time on your hands to reply about the most mundane, silly thing.

I just don't understand how something like this bothers people to such an extent? Would you care to explain? 

To me, it's just a video thumbnail. It's irrelevant to the quality, content and title of the video, IMO.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

35 minutes ago, Krytern said:

I don't understand why some people defend the thumbnails were just for CES when they started using them BEFORE CES.

Well considering the CES videos were in the screen cap I figured it was part of the point OP was making. Of course I was a bigger fan of the older thumbnails.

9 hours ago, mrchow19910319 said:

Should be glad that  this was not deleted. 

We don't delete threads that attack us.

We delete threads that attack users on a personal level.

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I just don't understand how something like this bothers people to such an extent? Would you care to explain? 

To me, it's just a video thumbnail. It's irrelevant to the quality, content and title of the video, IMO.

I still enjoy LTT videos. I used to watch literally every single one they released daily.

I just can't stand seeing the thumbnails in my subscription feed. It makes me hate seeing my subscription feed and I see my subscription feed on a daily basis it just gets tedious.

1 hour ago, MEC-777 said:

I don't see how you can say that the thumbnail has no relation to the quality, content or title of the video.... 

A thumbnail should give a visual summary of the video - like their videos used to. Not someone pulling a stupid face stood next to a product, 

Capture.JPG

Title - A video on how gaming PCs have developed in terms of size to performance

Thumbnail - A small PC which apparently has a lot of power, video presumably about small PCs packing a punch

You look at the thumbnail, you have a general idea of what the video is about.

You read the title, you have a general idea of what the video is about. 

Capture.JPG

Title - A new high end gaming cube from SUPERMICRO/Calyos, which is also fanless.

Thumbnail - Some box running what looks to be FurMark and someone pouting next to it. 

Some of them aren't so bad. Some of them are just... 

I think it bothers people because it's like LTT are just forgetting who their audience is and going for short term view gains from more casual gamers/just getting into tech who click on a video titled 'HOLDING A 60TB SSD' . 

Capture.JPG

Forgetting about the enthusiasts that don't want a title and thumbnail of 'HOLDING A 60TB SSD'. Who gives a fuck? I don't give a fuck if you're holding it... Tell me a bit about it... Who's it from? What technology does it use?

Looking at that I have no interest in watching it because it tells me fuck all about the video, other than he held a 60TB SSD and I'm guessing the video isn't just him holding a 60TB SSD. 

It's just not what I'd expect from LTT... It just doesn't seem like them. It's not how they got to where they are

3 hours ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

Forgetting about the enthusiasts that don't want a title and thumbnail of 'HOLDING A 60TB SSD'. Who gives a fuck? I don't give a fuck if you're holding it... Tell me a bit about it... Who's it from? What technology does it use?

they did tell you a bit about it, did you forgot the part where it said '60tb ssd? what technology it use? ssd technology what other technology could it be using cumming technology?

to me it does seem like them, they make somewhat silly video about things most people wont do, buy or ever see face to face.

5 minutes ago, mad dudy said:

to me it does seem like them, they make somewhat silly video about things most people wont do, buy or ever see face to face.

Many of us did go out and buy a $1000 HDMI cable made of unicorn hair solid silver for better overclocking. /s

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

8 hours ago, Krytern said:

I just can't stand seeing the thumbnails in my subscription feed. It makes me hate seeing my subscription feed and I see my subscription feed on a daily basis it just gets tedious.

To be honest, I've noticed the change in their thumbnails for their videos, but it hasn't changed how I feel about their content. It also doesn't bother me because I know why they're doing it and why they're trying it. 

I neither hate nor like them. It's just a cover image for a video. Guess I just don't get it. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I don't like that they have started to use outright misleading thumbnails. See the "Reviving your old laptop" video for a prime example of this

I don't care too much personally, but I find myself clicking on LTT videos less and less. This is probably because the thumbnails make it look like it belongs to some crappy clickbait channel, and not a channel I'm actually subscribed to. More than once have I looked through my feed, saw one of these thumbnails and thought "what is this doing in my sub box?" and skip right past it before realizing later that it was an LTT video. 

It's a cheap way to bring in more viewers, and may just end up alienating the fans.

And yes, I would consider lowbrow shocked/crazy face thumbnails to be clickbait. I hope they don't start using red arrows and circles.

On 1/13/2017 at 1:34 PM, MEC-777 said:

Honestly, who really cares what the thumbnail for the video looks like? I don't watch videos based on the thumbnails, but based on the title and content. 

Some people seem have way too much time on their hands to complain about the most mundane, silly things. 

I think it's an evil communist ploy to spread butthurt across teh interwebs

Their latest video "Can dual core still game" has solidified their thumbnail future

Linus has to pay back the dept he spent on all those Razer Blade laptops.

What better way to prop up revenue than to put out more click bait thumbnails?

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Actually he wasn't holding a 60tb ssd afterall (just a dummy), misleading title :P

I don't think people complaing about the clickbait for no reason. Linus can of course choose to make the vids however he wants but I only think it can benefit himself if he also keeps his ears open for what his community have to say sometimes.

Personally it reminds me a lot of Pewdiepie's videos and I didn't like that so much either. The problem for me is that I feel I have wasted my time watching something that wasn't really what I thought. Could've spent that time on something else.

I'm finding myself glossing over their thumbnails, often not even noticing it's their videos! those type of thumbnails are on crappy content videos so I just don't give them the time of day.  Sure it may be netting them more views but it's from new viewers and they will loose some of those who's been with them for years.  And since the internet is getting a hate on for clickbait-style content whether or not it's actual content, I don't see how it's a long time prospect.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

On 1/14/2017 at 6:22 AM, MEC-777 said:

To be honest, I've noticed the change in their thumbnails for their videos, but it hasn't changed how I feel about their content. It also doesn't bother me because I know why they're doing it and why they're trying it. 

I neither hate nor like them. It's just a cover image for a video. Guess I just don't get it. 

I unsubscribed because of the new thumbnails, and it has definitively changed (or rather, further solidified how I feel about LTT).

For the last year or so, I have only watched about 1 video a week from LTT. I used to watch a lot more, but at some point I think the content just got a lot worse. The humor got a lot more cringey (in a bad way), the subjects were uninteresting, all the ads were extremely obnoxious (like 1/3 of the videos were sometimes ads, on top of the regular YouTube ads, and some videos being 100% ads). The entire channel just went to shit over the course of a few months. But I stayed subscribed because once in a while they would post a video I thought seemed interesting.

Then they changed their thumbnails... After a while it just became too embarrassing to stay subscribed. Whenever someone would look over at my screen with YouTube open it felt like someone caught me watching My Little Pony, or something of that sort. Not just that, but the thumbnails really made me cringe. So instead of just ignoring videos that didn't seem interesting, their uninteresting videos now started to shit up my subscription feed. Since I didn't watch most videos, the majority of what I saw from LTT was the thumbnails. It would probably have been easier to accept if I had watched, and continued to watch all their content, but I don't.

Like I said, it also affects how I feel about LTT in general. I've always felt like LinusTechTips is slowly getting worse and worse, and the Nerd Sports Vessel exclusive thing really proved that Linus is a massive sellout who cares more about money than his viewers. Judging by the few comments we have from them regarding the new thumbnails, they don't like them either. So if they don't like it, and a lot of fans don't like them, why do it? Oh right, because apparently it gives them more views (correlation does not imply causation Linus). And what does that mean? That making more money (views = money) is more important to Linus than making good content that his fans like, and that's something I look down upon a lot.

That's my 2 cents.

I clicked all the videos without an ugly face on it - but it seems like linus changed strategies - his Instagram looks exactly the same - looks like he's attracting the younger generation - the 10 +-5 years old guys - to have a base on future viewers...

You are allowed to have animated avatars on LTT, but - try to have images like "userbars" in the signature - no chance...

Excels last cell is XFD1048576 and once was IV65536.

(if you want to have the most effective mousepad - use a colored matte floor tile)

On 14.1.2017 at 1:42 AM, mad dudy said:

they did tell you a bit about it, did you forgot the part where it said '60tb ssd? what technology it use? ssd technology what other technology could it be using cumming technology?

the thing is - such a thumbnail + title won't let me click this video - because I don't want to see someone holding SSDs - it rather lets me google for "60 TB SSD" and then I'll get some news articles about it...

You are allowed to have animated avatars on LTT, but - try to have images like "userbars" in the signature - no chance...

Excels last cell is XFD1048576 and once was IV65536.

(if you want to have the most effective mousepad - use a colored matte floor tile)

On 1/8/2017 at 6:17 PM, Slottr said:

I think you need to review what clickbait is:

I absolutely LOVE that they made a video for it! xD

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440