Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino
2 hours ago, Krytern said:

That is funny because those thumbnails look like LinusTechTips' new thumbnails.

fgfgdgffg.JPG

I fail to see the resemblance.

All of you are overreacting like little children.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

its ces he is trying to get many people as possible tow watch him. 

It didn't start at CES. As far as I know it started with this Asus mini desktop computer

I for one clicked on Linus' banana.  Would click again.  Even if there weren't a banana.

Linus has obviously seen this criticism and is basically thumbing his nose at the naysayers at this point, as the latest thumbnails are only getting more ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Kloaked said:

All of you are overreacting like little children.

You're getting oddly worked up considering that it is supposedly other people who are overreacting.

I don't have a horse in this race. I stopped watching LTT quite awhile ago, as I could tell which way the wind was blowing.

Is it even a clickbait? I'm perfectly fine with a "clickbait" if the thumbnail and the title has something to do with the video. Grow up people. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

1 minute ago, SSL said:

You're getting oddly worked up considering that it is supposedly other people who are overreacting.

I don't see how pointing out that these sensational people are acting like children is considered oddly worked up. Should I just not say anything at all? :P

Just now, Kloaked said:

I don't see how pointing out that these sensational people are acting like children is considered oddly worked up. Should I just not say anything at all? :P

You can say what you like. I simply fail to see what is childish about discussing Linus using clickbait to increase views.

Could it be that you just disagree, but don't know how to articulate a meaningful rebuttal?

1 minute ago, SSL said:

You can say what you like. I simply fail to see what is childish about discussing Linus using clickbait to increase views.

I would hardly call most of the comments here meaningful criticism of LTT's supposed clickbait - it's almost as if one guy assumed what he saw was clickbait and then more people jumped on board to the idea and just went with it.

There's like one video in the last little while that I can see as "clickbait" if I absolutely had to pick out any of them and label them as "clickbait", which would be the "Revive your old laptop" video - I skimmed through the video since I'm not entirely a fan of Luke's videos to begin with (one reason I haven't watch a whole lot of LTT videos lately - and it's nothing against him), and I didn't see anything in the video that has to do with the thumbnail.

I really haven't seen them do anything out of the norm, but I haven't watched every single video in the last month or so - but I have watched enough that I am under the impression that they are not doing anything that they haven't done before, and nothing they're doing is really "clickbait".

7 minutes ago, SSL said:

Could it be that you just disagree, but don't know how to articulate a meaningful rebuttal?

I didn't feel like writing out my whole disagreement like I did just now to people who use phrases like "Linus's disturbing trend to clickbait". A lot of the posts in this thread criticizing LTT of clickbait are ironic and sensational.

6 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I would hardly call most of the comments here meaningful criticism of LTT's supposed clickbait - it's almost as if one guy assumed what he saw was clickbait and then more people jumped on board to the idea and just went with it.

There's like one video in the last little while that I can see as "clickbait" if I absolutely had to pick out any of them and label them as "clickbait", which would be the "Revive your old laptop" video - I skimmed through the video since I'm not entirely a fan of Luke's videos to begin with (one reason I haven't watch a whole lot of LTT videos lately - and it's nothing against him), and I didn't see anything in the video that has to do with the thumbnail.

I really haven't seen them do anything out of the norm, but I haven't watched every single video in the last month or so - but I have watched enough that I am under the impression that they are not doing anything that they haven't done before, and nothing they're doing is really "clickbait".

I didn't feel like writing out my whole disagreement like I did just now to people who use phrases like "Linus's disturbing trend to clickbait". A lot of the posts in this thread criticizing LTT of clickbait are ironic and sensational.

Well, at the end of the day you're resorting to attacking people (children?) instead of explaining why, to you, most of these videos are not clickbait.

As far as I'm concerned, they're on the money. Certainly with the change in how Linus is marketing his videos, and I would also agree that many videos fit the definition of clickbait.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

Well, at the end of the day you're resorting to attacking people (children?) instead of explaining why, to you, most of these videos are not clickbait.

Noted.

1 minute ago, SSL said:

As far as I'm concerned, they're on the money. Certainly with the change in how Linus is marketing his videos, and I would also agree that many videos fit the definition of clickbait.

I really don't see it. I see them as trying to be humorous and people are taking it too seriously.

Just now, Kloaked said:

I really don't see it. I see them as trying to be humorous and people are taking it too seriously.

They can be both. Linus has admitted that they are making the change due to positive effects on views.

It's an unfortunate decision when there are other ways to improve viewership and strengthen the channel in ways that matter. Linus has never taken himself too seriously, but there's a difference between keeping things light and becoming a caricature for the sake of attention.

5 minutes ago, SSL said:

They can be both. Linus has admitted that they are making the change due to positive effects on views.

It's an unfortunate decision when there are other ways to improve viewership and strengthen the channel in ways that matter. Linus has never taken himself too seriously, but there's a difference between keeping things light and becoming a caricature for the sake of attention.

I don't think they're going overboard with what they're doing - since like I said I personally don't see what they're doing with the thumbnails as "clickbait". Though if they actually are on a trend toward it being worse like you were implying earlier, then I could see the problem. As it sits right now, there's too much (what I think is) actual clickbait on Youtube for these tech channels to take part in it.

I hate the whole "can't beat them then join them" mentality.

I believe on a wan show or something(best and worst of the year wan show?) They say that they have 30 people working for them or something(150% of the amount they had last year I believe is how they got that) If I remember right anways...

3 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

I believe on a wan show or something(best and worst of the year wan show?) They say that they have 30 people working for them or something(150% of the amount they had last year I believe is how they got that) If I remember right anways...

Pretty sure they said 13, not 30.

Right now they are sitting at around ~15 employees.

5 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Pretty sure they said 13, not 30.

Right now they are sitting at around ~15 employees.

Based on LMG website staff list, if you discontinue Luke and Yvonne, it's 13.

http://www.linusmediagroup.com/history/

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I dont like the new ones at all...

I liked the old ones better.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Why is it that some people fail to understand that just because a situation isn't the worse possible, it doesn't mean it isn't bad or it doesn't exist?

What I mean is just because LinusTechTips' clickbait isn't the worst clickbait on YouTube, doesn't mean it isn't clickbait and it isn't a issue.

I am not a child and you are a arrogant muppet for thinking someone is a child because they have a difference in opinion to you. I resent your comment calling me one. I was being civil, don't attack people on your high horse.

Love the good ole speculation. Views are what keeps every channel alive, and if Linus has to ride the meta then so be it. I think it's a little more than More employees = more salary = I need more views = I need to make a thumbnail that is embarrassing to myself and all my subscribers. Not that I know Linus personally but something like changing the entire template for the video thumbnail was definitely more calculated and probably more prompted than a water cooler conversation.

Do I like the thumbnails? No. They are repulsive, stupid and caused me to vomit a little in my mouth.

Do I blame Linus? No. But if I were in his shoes, and my audience has now changed substantially and I needed to do this to increase viewers, I'd think about it. Not for too long but I'd definitely think about it. aside from that it's his channel and until I have a channel with over 3.5Million subs I will have to shut up =)

16 minutes ago, FinalplayerRyu said:

These thumbnails are really annoying... on the same level as these:

Reveal hidden contents

20160106165358-oculus-rift-vr-tech-virtu

Reveal hidden contents

HTC-Vive-20.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

vr_1024x512_jm_01.jpg

Marketing and graphic designs are catching your attention as intended!!! I'm shocked!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Marketing and graphic designs are catching your attention as intended!!! I'm shocked!

If catching attention was all that there is to it... if my attention turns into a negative feeling towards a product/brand/company, then it is working against them. Especially the first one invokes always a slight anger with a combined facepalm in me... good job oculus...

Free Korean/Chinese Browser MMO Banners also catch my attention with their animation, doesn't mean they get any money/time from me.