Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino
17 hours ago, paradonym said:

the thing is - such a thumbnail + title won't let me click this video - because I don't want to see someone holding SSDs - it rather lets me google for "60 TB SSD" and then I'll get some news articles about it...

the thing is - they can't please everyone. the way i see it you guys are the just making noise about nothing.

8 hours ago, mad dudy said:

the thing is - they can't please everyone. the way i see it you guys are the just making noise about nothing.

It clearly bothers a lot of people so it isn't just "noise about nothing". Just because it doesn't bother you it doesn't negate the importance it is to others.

4 hours ago, Krytern said:

It clearly bothers a lot of people so it isn't just "noise about nothing". Just because it doesn't bother you it doesn't negate the importance it is to others.

The inverse is also true :P

Who cares about thumbnails, really? I think ppl complaining look butthurt.

If the content is shit then its OK  complain,I for one never even notice the thumbnails.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

1 hour ago, Taja said:

Who cares about thumbnails, really? I think ppl complaining look butthurt.

If the content is shit then its OK  complain,I for one never even notice the thumbnails.

Agreed. They were fairly open about it, saying that the new thumbnails were producing additional views. It might not even be their primary source of revenue anymore but additional revenue = better videos/resources/etc so I'm not really sure why people are so upset over it.

If the thumbnails REALLY bother you, just dislike the video, unsubscribe, or don't watch the videos. I'm sure if videos start having a worse ratio of Likes:Dislikes, lower view counts, or a loss in overall subscription, they'll consider making changes.

2 hours ago, Taja said:

Who cares about thumbnails, really?

As already stated in this thread clearly a lot of people since a lot of people are complaining about it.

2 hours ago, Taja said:

I think ppl complaining look butthurt.

Criticising something that people perceive as negative makes them look butthurt now?

If you think about it this is a feedback/criticism thread, not a "whose opinion is better". If your criticizing criticism, your not helping either way, as I doubt anyone will change their minds on here. So criticizing criticism is a waste of time. (yes i know this is ironic but I have time to burn)

Just my 2 cents 

Its getting worse then ever with the moronic thumbnails for the videos.

Cheesier and cheesier, soon it will be a cheese fondu

4 hours ago, Krytern said:

As already stated in this thread clearly a lot of people since a lot of people are complaining about it.

Criticising something that people perceive as negative makes them look butthurt now?

YES, criticising something IRRELEVANT is being butthurt. Is like crying because the new lol/dota/overwatch character is not hot, or hating on your favorite pizza place because now they sell pineapple pizza. people can perceive anything they want,that does not make things valid. But people always think they can talk about stuff that does not affect their lives like it is a big deal (ex:gay marriage) and that is the definition of butthurt.

If the channel is using clickbaits (that is not) or using OFFENSIVE thumbnails, or the content is bad, or they are biased,or they are focusing only on advertising, THEN you can criticise. Criticising because you think linus use a ugly shirt or luke has a beard, that is betthurt and not valid.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

On 2017-01-15 at 6:36 AM, g12601 said:

Just be happy it's not this

shit.PNG

That might just as well be LTT right now. I can't tell the difference. And what bothers me the most is that they have started using misleading thumbnails

1 hour ago, AxelRantila said:

That might just as well be LTT right now. I can't tell the difference. And what bothers me the most is that they have started using misleading thumbnails

Yes I found that out too

I don't to see clickbait video thumbnails to want to kill myself.
So I got that going for me.

Seriously though this started a while ago.

I make bad life decisions.

On 17/01/2017 at 3:43 AM, Taja said:

YES, criticising something IRRELEVANT is being butthurt. Is like crying because the new lol/dota/overwatch character is not hot, or hating on your favorite pizza place because now they sell pineapple pizza. people can perceive anything they want,that does not make things valid. But people always think they can talk about stuff that does not affect their lives like it is a big deal (ex:gay marriage) and that is the definition of butthurt.

If the channel is using clickbaits (that is not) or using OFFENSIVE thumbnails, or the content is bad, or they are biased,or they are focusing only on advertising, THEN you can criticise. Criticising because you think linus use a ugly shirt or luke has a beard, that is betthurt and not valid.

Why are you getting so triggered? Do you worship LTT so much that it bothers you that what they are doing bothers us?

It's thumbnails ARE clickbait. Look at Luke's video about his laptop. Look at all of Linus' videos where he is doing some moronic face which looks like it is from Buzzfeed, or a children's science show. The entire reason they are using these new thumbnails, is for clicks, to get more clicks, to bait in clicks, clickbait. It isn't hard to understand.

This isn't an emotive issue for me personally.

But I will say, I've been watching fewer LTT videos lately, simply because I haven't been noticing them in my YouTube subscription feed.

Going for the generic YouTube attention grabbing thumbnails, probably will get you more random clicks from the people who use YouTube that way. I'd question if it's a trade off worth making, if it alienates the usual fanbase though.

Came to the forum to give my two cents, glad to see a topic already exists about this issue.

I noticed the clickbait-ish thumbnails during the CES and thought to myself "OK, I guess they wanna play this way for CES, let's give them the benefits of doubt this week".

But the last Holy Sh!t episode was just too much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm okay with the video title "The Fastest Storage EVER". That's pretty much the point of this serie after all.

But the thumbnail, I mean come on:

Capture.PNG

In comparison, going back to previous episodes of Holy Sh!t serie, thumbnails were still a bit clickbait-ish, but far less cringy:

Capture2.PNG

I can understand that you get more views because Youtube system & stuff. I get that. This is your company, your choices, and clearly you did this for a legitimate reason as a business.

But we'd appreciate that you try to be a bit less cringy. Right now you're not even hiding it, and as a fan I think this is just wrong and sad.

I find myself noticing the new videos on the forums more than on YouTube, it just blends into everyone else. 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

11 hours ago, Krytern said:

Why are you getting so triggered? Do you worship LRR so much that it bothers you that what they are doing bothers us?

It's thumbnails ARE clickbait. Look at Luke's video about his laptop. Look at all of Linus' videos where he is doing some moronic face which looks like it is from Buzzfeed, or a children's science show. The entire reason they are using these new thumbnails, is for clicks, to get more clicks, to bait in clicks, clickbait. It isn't hard to understand.

Im not getting triggered, you are Just wrong. And people shouting wrong thigs botters me, whichever the tópic is.

Edit: I sounded like an asshole, but my point is: People are using irrelevant arguments, and i cannot accept that.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

Triggered? nah, just when browsing YouTube I used to spot LMG videos by their unique thumbnail design when glancing over, and often would click,  Right now it blends in with the junk I have playing when in a game as background content, and given how rarely I game now.... 

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

People. Linus said his experimenting with thumbnails. If something doesn't work, he'll stop it. This works well for most people that go to the channel for the first time, so if you guys react super hateful, he may change it. It's just a thumbnail people. One JPEG or whatever file makes you triggered. I care about the content, not thumbnails.

6 hours ago, Factory OC said:

People. Linus said his experimenting with thumbnails. If something doesn't work, he'll stop it. This works well for most people that go to the channel for the first time, so if you guys react super hateful, he may change it. It's just a thumbnail people. One JPEG or whatever file makes you triggered. I care about the content, not thumbnails.

Yes but under what criteria does he decide if it works? By simply getting more views and clicks? Sure! But remember, Pewdiepie is the most popular youtuber on the planet, and many people here really dislike his content.

Simply getting a lot of views doesn't inherently mean better content.

I still find it hilarious that people who disagree with us, feel the need to call us "triggered". Please stick to facts and logical arguments, not trendy words.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)