Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino

God, how many people are going to make a topic about this? 

WE GET IT.

ktf.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

8 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Hello chaps,

I'm writing this because I'm quite discouraged by the recent influx of "Click Bait" that Linus Media Group(LMG) has been using on their videos.  I find it's becoming more and more often,(the WORST of them being "How to revive your old laptop").  Right down to the thumbnail it's become click bait, and it coincides with the recent increase in paid promotion spots, take with that what you will(e.g. the Toyota video). I know that I'm not the only one who's become discouraged by these titles, although I don't mind paid promotion spots because they blatantly state what it is unlike some.  

For such a professional media group, it feels slightly amateur of them to traverse this route and, not to mention what it feels like being a long time user. It feels as though they're now, trying to cater to a new audience leaving the one they built, behind.  Hopefully they change, stop the nonsensical titles and go back to their roots.  Normally this type of thing doesn't upset me, but having been a member of the LTT community for as long as I have this honestly bugged me.

Anyhow, apologies for the short rant but I know I'm not alone in this argument.

Cheers!

tottaly agree, and we need to make them stop

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

as many as needed to make a change :-p

Moderators might as well as make a new pinned thread with the title "Clickbait complains here" so we don't have a new topic of it in daily basis xD

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I dont give a flying fluck about that. Channels need to survive, youtubers need to get money. If that's a way, why freakin not. Doesnt make the video any worse and that's the reason im here.

As long as the Content is not getting bad, im okay with that.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Moderators might as well as make a new pinned thread with the title "Clickbait complains here" so we don't have a new topic of it in daily basis xD

i haven't seen them cause i am mostly on the news part of the site, put it shows people don't like it.

Ps: ola :-p

large.jpg

Seriously. Enough with the complaining.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

How am I to know that there are daily topics on it? Obviously, if there are daily topics on it then the issue transcends something of "Normal" concerns. The only solution is for LMG to respond either formally or implied by removing the click baits, otherwise more people will make them. It's a simple fact.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

1 minute ago, Rodniz said:

I dont give a flying fluck about that. Channels need to survive, youtubers need to get money. If that's a way, why freakin not. Doesnt make the video any worse and that's the reason im here.

As long as the Content is not getting bad, im okay with that.

although i fill like there videos aren't as good as they use to be, they seem rushed.

anyone thinks the same ? 

Either way, I don't need to defend it.  The issue has raised brows at least, no need to take anger out on me.  Settle your qualms elsewhere, if it bothers you so much are you not better than I?  You're complaining about people complaining.

The Louvre

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

although i fill like there videos aren't as good as they use to be, they seem rushed.

anyone thinks the same ? 

Well they said they were "Running out of ideas" and they put out that video for hiring new people.  I'm under the assumption that's why they feel "Rushed" they're trying to find quick ideas to throw out as a video and I suppose the click bait is supposed to make up for the content/lack thereof?  The "Reviving your old laptop" video was by far the worst, and most blatant use of click bait. Obviously they ran out of ideas(This is in no way an insult to them) so they thought "Hey let's pull Luke's old laptop out and slap an SSD in it."  That's hardly "Reviving".

The Louvre

5 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

How am I to know that there are daily topics on it? Obviously, if there are daily topics on it then the issue transcends something of "Normal" concerns. The only solution is for LMG to respond either formally or implied by removing the click baits, otherwise more people will make them. It's a simple fact.

There's an amazing new breakthrough technology on forums these days called search! /s ;)

Build: Intel S2600gz, 2x E5-2670, EVGA SC 1070, Zotac 1060 6GB mini, 48GB Micron 1333mhz ECC DDR3, 2x Intel DPS-750XB 750 watt PSU

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/elerek/saved/3T7D4D

1 minute ago, Elerek said:

There's an amazing new breakthrough technology on forums these days called search! /s ;)

Interesting, perhaps I will look into it later.  Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

The Louvre

4 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Either way, I don't need to defend it.  The issue has raised brows at least, no need to take anger out on me.  Settle your qualms elsewhere, if it bothers you so much are you not better than I?  You're complaining about people complaining.

I too am sick of the complaining about click bait because it's not my definition of click bait. They make money from advertising get use to it at least they are not as lame as a late night infomercial. there are plenty of other channels by people with higher education that cover more informative/advanced topics

we should all learn from zombie Jesus:

7Fq8IMnPsy7ysuMs3TyhiYVqUiTn2SPcUWBljLmq

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I too am sick of the complaining about click bait because it's not my definition of click bait. They make money from advertising get use to it at least they are not as lame as a late night infomercial. there are plenty of other channels by people with higher education that cover more informative/advanced topics

we should all learn from zombie Jesus:

7Fq8IMnPsy7ysuMs3TyhiYVqUiTn2SPcUWBljLmq

I don't have an issue with advertisements whatsoever, the blatant clickbait that doesn't represent their content is the issue.

The Louvre

4 hours ago, Integer93 said:

*snip*

37 minutes ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

*snip*

Threads merged

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

It's enough when they stop with the crap.

LMG's best content came from in-depth discussions and benchmarking, not 4minute snaps on the latest gizmo.  If I wanted that their is many other trash channels I could subscribe too.

If we just accept crap and don't discuss it, then crap is all you will get.  

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

3 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

I don't see what is the problem here really. You get what you clicked for unlike real clickbait link.

I don't see the problem either. It's not like the video is actual clickbait material. You still get the content that's in the title... I really question if people actually know what clickbait content is.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

8 hours ago, Integer93 said:

The amount of overacting is just too damn high.

Just look at their fun channel.

On 1/9/2017 at 0:11 AM, Eaglerino said:

Disturbing Trend

disturb
dɪˈstəːb/
verb
gerund or present participle: disturbing
  1. 1.
    interfere with the normal arrangement or functioning of.
    "take the rollers out carefully so as not to disturb the curls too much"
    synonyms: disarrange, muddle, rearrange, disorganize, disorder, mix up, interfere with; More
  2. 2.
    interrupt the sleep, relaxation, or privacy of.
    "I'll see my patient now and we are not to be disturbed"
    synonyms: interrupt, intrude on, butt in on, barge in on; More
  3. 3.
    make (someone) anxious.
    "I am disturbed by the document I have just read"
    synonyms: perturb, trouble, concern, worry, upset; More

Most of the CSS "clickbait" videos probably had thumbnails like that just because they were editing on the run and had to upload so much. Plus they were probably having fun with it too. 

That being said, I can see the latest two videos being clickbait considering that the "offline" games title was very vague and the NVIDEA shield one only discussed spying for a few seconds at the end of the video. Still decent quality though.

1 minute ago, Kek Ops said:

Most of the CSS "clickbait" videos probably had thumbnails like that just because they were editing on the run and had to upload so much. Plus they were probably having fun with it too. 

That being said, I can see the latest two videos being clickbait considering that the "offline" games title was very vague and the NVIDEA shield one only discussed spying for a few seconds at the end of the video. Still decent quality though.

I don't understand why some people defend the thumbnails were just for CES when they started using them BEFORE CES.

Honestly, who really cares what the thumbnail for the video looks like? I don't watch videos based on the thumbnails, but based on the title and content. 

Some people seem have way too much time on their hands to complain about the most mundane, silly things. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS