Linus's Disturbing Trend to Clickbait

Eaglerino
5 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes but under what criteria does he decide if it works? By simply getting more views and clicks? Sure! But remember, Pewdiepie is the most popular youtuber on the planet, and many people here really dislike his content.

Simply getting a lot of views doesn't inherently mean better content.

I still find it hilarious that people who disagree with us, feel the need to call us "triggered". Please stick to facts and logical arguments, not trendy words.

I think it's just a case of where they want the channel to go. 

If they want it to be a fairly close, well-liked and friendly community, then those thumbnails aren't the way to go. 

If they aren't too bothered about a 'community' as such, and just want to focus on YouTube stats and figures (which as a business, makes sense in some ways) then the new style of thumbnails probably work best. 

This is why I personally wasn't fond of the transition into a more professional production style videos; it takes the community aspect out of it - some people, granted die-hard original fans - have also commented on the decline of the forum. 

It's like they're handing out an award for 'Grumpiest LTT Forum Poster' in this thread LOL

On 19/01/2017 at 11:27 AM, Taja said:

Im not getting triggered, you are Just wrong. And people shouting wrong thigs botters me, whichever the tópic is.

Edit: I sounded like an asshole, but my point is: People are using irrelevant arguments, and i cannot accept that.

Wrong about what, exactly? I am wrong that some of the thumbnails are deceiving and all of them look like they're straight out of Buzzfeed?

1 hour ago, Krytern said:

Wrong about what, exactly? I am wrong that some of the thumbnails are deceiving and all of them look like they're straight out of Buzzfeed?

I was wrong about the usage of the word "wrong". The thumbnails are not "deceiving", they are Just goofy or ridiculous. Wrong is saying that this is clickbait, because it is not BAIT. 

And the fact it bothers people is OK, ppl can be bothered by ANYTHING. 

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

38 minutes ago, Taja said:

And the fact it bothers people is OK, ppl can be bothered by ANYTHING. 

This thread proves this point ;D

We see it this way: 

We we make good content and we want people to watch it. 

For some reason more people watch if we make a silly face in the thumbnail.

So..... I guess we will play the game.

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We see it this way: 

I think thats a more than good enough reason. You have to admit though bad timing with the clickbait FAP and the funny face thumbnails :P 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

3 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We see it this way: 

You should add a dickbutt in the next thumbnail, just for good measure.

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

We see it this way: 

no, you're not making good content

since you moved to the new location the quality of LTT video have gotten worse and worse to the point it's barely watchable

from all the CES coverage I only watched a single video

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

since you moved to the new location the quality of LTT video have gotten worse and worse to the point it's barely watchable

Your opinion is duly noted, but there is plenty of evidence to support my position as well :)

1 minute ago, LinusTech said:

Your opinion is duly noted, but there is plenty of evidence to support my position as well :)

you are gaining random people's views while losing your core audience at the same time - time will show you this

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

Why do you torture yourself then? LOL  Quit watching and/or unsubscribe ;D

1 minute ago, chrisholland03 said:

Why do you torture yourself then? LOL  Quit watching and/or unsubscribe ;D

I'm not torturing myself

as I said, I barely even see any of LTT's videos anymore - I look at the thumbs and title and say "fuck it"

8 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

I do like some of your content but it is leaning towards the younger audience and a lot of the backbone of older, more mature watchers is falling. A build guild would help this signifigantly ;);) 

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

2 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We see it this way: 

For some reason more people watch if we make a clickbait thumbnail.

FTFY. I've also looked at the titles of your videos, and they've gone clickbait as well.

Goofy or silly isn't clickbait. Images or text that grab attention or curiosity by hiding info (CAN THIS THING GAME?) or looking catchy (when it probably isn't supposed to be) is clickbait. And clickbaiting is not good journalism.

Example of a non clickbait thumbnail and title:

Example of a clickbait thumbnail:

Example of clickbait title:

Example of both:

At the end of the day, I'm baffled and sad that you consider clickbaiting as a part of "good content". Are you afraid that less people will watch it if you plainly and accurately present your content? Because that's the level of integrity I expect you to keep after 8 years of excellent and reliable journalism.

Dirty tactics is dirty Linus, regardless of how many viewers or followers it gives. I hope you understand.

EDIT: I also want to address your (new?) channel description that you have. You say "We make entertaining videos about technology". Now if you strictly do that, then fine. But as a reputable journalist, you're not here to just entertain. Entertainment is part of your content, but your focus should be on what you do, ie. "tech reviews, showcases and other content". Right now, entertainment has taken over your content, video titles and thumbnails just because they make more views.

Edited by Shahnewaz

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

1 hour ago, Shahnewaz said:

EDIT: I also want to address your (new?) channel description that you have. You say "We make entertaining videos about technology". Now if you strictly do that, then fine. But as a reputable journalist, you're not here to just entertain. Entertainment is part of your content, but your focus should be on what you do, ie. "tech reviews, showcases and other content". Right now, entertainment has taken over your content, video titles and thumbnails just because they make more views.

Linus have said several times that he want to move away from reviews. I think his words were along the lines of "the top gear of computers".

They don't want to do reviews or "tech journalism". They want to make entertaining videos... and apparently entertaining means silly and stupid.

32 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Linus have said several times that he want to move away from reviews. I think his words were along the lines of "the top gear of computers".

They don't want to do reviews or "tech journalism". They want to make entertaining videos... and apparently entertaining means silly and stupid.

Wow, I never knew that. Well... I don't know anymore. Good luck to LTT then.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

4 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Your video and sound quality, and editing quality has massively improved, but the content and the testing of the products you talk about has equally deteriorated. This is why channels like Digital Foundry and PCPerspective is gaining more traction as of late. They do the same as you, but they do it thoroughly and consistently so.

Just go back to your own videos in 2014-2015 and watch your own content from before the move. Watch the CONTENT, not the picture quality and sound quality.

The content was better. It was technical enough to satisfy the tech savvy, yet easily digestible even if you didnt understand much about tech in the first place. The testing was thorough enough (not Anandtech, The Techreport, PCPer or Digital Foundry levels of thorough) to not put the tech savvy off, yet you laid out the information clearly enough for anyone to understand it.

You mentioned things you found out "on the side" of the testing, instead of just skipping over it as you have done on a few occasions recently. Heck you even explained WHY you tested the way you did, and WHY that was important. That was helpful to people.

Heck back then you cared about THE RESULT, more then the brand name. Yet now we hear the same thing over and over "it's whatever, just pick a brand you want"... you don't reccomend anything, even when your own data clearly, without bias, suggests that product A is better then B for reason(s).

Why Linus, why can you not see this?

17 hours ago, zMeul said:

you are gaining random people's views while losing your core audience at the same time - time will show you this

You sound like a megalomaniac. You are his "core" audience? Or the minority that are complaining are his "core" audience? And "time Will Tell"? Yeah, right. 

Jesus, his core audience does not give A SHIT. 100 People out of a Million are complaining, no one gives a shit about the thumbnails, you Just think ppl does because you found People like you. If you dont like the videos anymore, Just stop watching, holding on to something you dont like makes no sense.

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

19 hours ago, LinusTech said:

We see it this way: 

And a big reason I subscribed to your channels in the first place was because you not only put out good content, but also had reasonable thumbnails in a time of clickbait

And you may disagree with me here, but I am starting to see warning signs of the quality of content going down. And then I'm not talking about an exception here and here, I am talking in general

I think the loss of Vessel hit them hard.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1.JPG

This one is just taking the piss tbh lol. Do you remember who your audience is?

20 hours ago, zMeul said:

I'm not torturing myself

as I said, I barely even see any of LTT's videos anymore - I look at the thumbs and title and say "fuck it"

Just watch them. The videos aren't bad, and the thumbnails are kinda funny you have to admit :)

24 minutes ago, obi-fade-kenobi said:

1.JPG

This one is just taking the piss tbh lol. Do you remember who your audience is?

I am lost for words... Is that what you have become Linus

4 minutes ago, Alec M said:

Just watch them. The videos aren't bad, and the thumbnails are kinda funny you have to admit :)

No, they are not funny>:(. Content is ok, but not as good as it used to be.