Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

How fast does it go

Can I get it in red

what does this button do

image.png.1024677a91dbbe7c0e9c01a2b55e7030.png

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

No Joke, I just explained to a customer the following:

Consumer (Cx): Hey I see you have the nike run club app but no walking app, how am i supposed to do my walking?

Me: Sir you can use the Nike run club to walk or run, either is fine.

Cx: Ok but when I do my walks with this it gives me a mile number. Is that my miles or is it the distance if I were in a car or what is it?

Me: Well a mile would be the same distance in a car just faster, that number shows the number of miles you have travelled

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

I hate it when the first solution people try to fix hardware or software not working properly is to reinstall Windows instead of some smaller task. What makes it worse is the rare case of resetting Windows again after the first time doesn't work...

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

7 minutes ago, thegreengamers said:

I hate it when the first solution people try to fix hardware or software not working properly is to reinstall Windows instead of some smaller task. What makes it worse is the rare case of resetting Windows again after the first time doesn't work...

I usually only recommend reinstalling the OS if absolutely nothing else worked and I can't think of any other solution.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

18 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I usually only recommend reinstalling the OS if absolutely nothing else worked and I can't think of any other solution.

I never recommend anyone do that, unless I can drive out and do it myself, plus I can typically see something better in person to fix the problem without that

59 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

I never recommend anyone do that, unless I can drive out and do it myself, plus I can typically see something better in person to fix the problem without that

Usually I can't drive to the places of fellow forum users, but I agree.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

Worse comes to worse I'll guide them through a one-time use of TeamViewer so that way I can get in there and muck about.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

Worse comes to worse, I reinstall Windows. Easy way to 'clean out' cluttered program files that aren't needed, and I do it (roughly) yearly anyways.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Worse comes to worse, I reinstall Windows. Easy way to 'clean out' cluttered program files that aren't needed, and I do it (roughly) yearly anyways.

Personally speaking I haven't needed to reinstall windows in my systems in forever as I have come to keep them quite clean but whenever someone insists on you solving their OS issues I don't even bother troubleshooting on these systems... "sorry mate, gonna need a reinstall of windows only way around".

Certain OS makes my heart hurt from how poorly taken care they are with tons of bloatware running, registry errors and what not.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

You know what annoys me most? 

When tech-illiterate people try to sound smart but make themselves look stupid in saying stuff that doesn't make sense. 

Like how they say our eyes can't see more than 30 frames as proven by science (but refuse to share reliable info), how more frames lead to a faster game (even though it doesn't directly affect game speed) and here's my favorite; more RAM slows down your PC. HOW?! 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I was at a meeting with an academic advisor for a university I'll potentially attend (for a cybersecurity degree) and she was talking about the active tech scene in the location and as she put it how "they all get together on the blockchain"...Meanwhile I'm just sitting there like

image.png.b1e85d8a5fdea85a322ee47313690b0c.png

53 minutes ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

You know what annoys me most? 

When tech-illiterate people try to sound smart but make themselves look stupid in saying stuff that doesn't make sense. 

Like how they say our eyes can't see more than 30 frames as proven by science (but refuse to share reliable info), how more frames lead to a faster game (even though it doesn't directly affect game speed) and here's my favorite; more RAM slows down your PC. HOW?! 

I think startup can be slowed down by a few seconds with lots of RAM due to how superfetch works. My understanding is Windows will attempt to load more programs into memory upon booting as your memory capacity increases which takes longer to read from your drive. Of course this makes little difference in practice and only affect startup. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

PC Specs:

CPU: AMD 1700x Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero RAM: 4 * 8GB G.Skill RGB DDR4 Graphics: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 500GB Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: EVGA 750w G3 Monitors: Dell SG2716DG +  2x Dell U2515H

Freenas specs:

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 V2 Cooler: Some noctua cooler Motherboard: Supermicro X9 SRL-F RAM: 8 * 8GB Samsung DDR3 ECC Storage: 6 * 4TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAIDZ2 Controller: LSI H220 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro PSU: EVGA 650w G3

Phone: iPhone 6S 32 GB Space Grey

34 minutes ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I think startup can be slowed down by a few seconds with lots of RAM due to how superfetch works. My understanding is Windows will attempt to load more programs into memory upon booting as your memory capacity increases which takes longer to read from your drive. Of course this makes little difference in practice and only affect startup. Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

I've never heard of this being a problem, and I know quite a few people that have a pretty high RAM capacity(talking upwards of 32Gb).

5 hours ago, ThatFlashCat said:

I did find my 2GB netbook to be one of my faster booting devices even though it had a HDD but that was also because the BIOS load time was pretty much 0

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Personally speaking I haven't needed to reinstall windows in my systems in forever as I have come to keep them quite clean but whenever someone insists on you solving their OS issues I don't even bother troubleshooting on these systems... "sorry mate, gonna need a reinstall of windows only way around".

Certain OS makes my heart hurt from how poorly taken care they are with tons of bloatware running, registry errors and what not.

I don't know why but i always manage to get my pc ruined multiple times a year. Usually i get a stupidly odd bug that nobody on the planet ever had and reinstalling solves it.

Last time for example, i have a USB 3.0 hub, external, and an external USB 3.0 drive. For some reason the drive didn't work with the hub.

Other drives worked fine in the hub so the ports were fine, connecting the drive to another usb port (not the hub) also worked so the drive was fine as well.

Only the hub + usb drive combination didn't work anymore. Nothing got installed (no updates, no programs) since it last worked. 

Tried reinstalling the driver, all USB ports stopped working, at that point i wasn't left with many options. You can't do much without a keyboard or mouse.

Reinstalled windows, problem solved.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Wow

Just.......wow20180525_122408.png.3586bb8ccb5610c4b679eb617c2c035c.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Wow

Just.......wow20180525_122408.png.3586bb8ccb5610c4b679eb617c2c035c.png

And what platform is used to develop console games...? PC. Checkmate lol

5 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

"Can't aim with KBM" 

"Too easy to kill people with KBM"

30 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

And what platform is used to develop console games...? PC. Checkmate lol

The sheer hypocrisy is laughable, alongside his tone. 

SmartSelect_20180525-003154_Chrome.gif

On 11/21/2017 at 7:24 AM, Bananasplit_00 said:

make sure you just dont insert the file where she got her education...

she went from special ed teacher to librarian to tech teacher

I like pie.

7 hours ago, Beer_Nontitju said:

So I was finishing a build for someone's kid and he thought the display was the windowed side panel of the PC case.

Did someone say... iBUYPower Snowblind?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb