Experiences with non-techies

My best friend is such a pain, I've built 3 gaming rigs for him in the last 6ish years and he complains EVERY time! Also, reason I've built 3 is because he has issues with his job and needs to sell stuff for quick $. I try to explain to him he's wasting way more $$ having me build him a brand new rig every-time and he will not settle for anything that isn't BNIB, not even a certified refurbished item. He goes on how he doesn't want to spend too much money but is convinced he will get more system performance buying a $400 mobo VS a $150 one, feels the need to have a 750w+ PSU when running an SSD and 1 GPU, as well as RGB AIO coolers perform better apparently ....Just today I came over cause he said he needs more RAM when playing around in task manager he noticed the usage to be very high. HE HAD 30+ TABS OPEN IN CHROME AND MANY OF THEM PLAYING SOME SORT OF VIDEO as well as whatever game he was playing. fml.

Current Rig

Thermaltake Tempered Glass Chassis W/ 3 LED Fans
Side Mounted MSI GTX 1070 8GB Armour Edition
Gigabyte Gaming 7 Mobo
KabyLake i7 7700k
Thermaltake AIO Cooler - Dual RGB Fans
Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
EVGA 750w PSU
500GB Samsung EVO M.2
750GB Crucial SSD
1TB WD HDD
Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, DustonFoster said:

My best friend is such a pain, I've built 3 gaming rigs for him in the last 6ish years and he complains EVERY time! Also, reason I've built 3 is because he has issues with his job and needs to sell stuff for quick $. I try to explain to him he's wasting way more $$ having me build him a brand new rig every-time and he will not settle for anything that isn't BNIB, not even a certified refurbished item. He goes on how he doesn't want to spend too much money but is convinced he will get more system performance buying a $400 mobo VS a $150 one, feels the need to have a 750w+ PSU when running an SSD and 1 GPU, as well as RGB AIO coolers perform better apparently ....Just today I came over cause he said he needs more RAM when playing around in task manager he noticed the usage to be very high. HE HAD 30+ TABS OPEN IN CHROME AND MANY OF THEM PLAYING SOME SORT OF VIDEO as well as whatever game he was playing. fml.

only 30 tabs?? Noob.

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

1 hour ago, Jtalk4456 said:

only 30 tabs?? Noob.

Seriously. I've got more than that open in just this one window.

image.thumb.png.eaa6604dcd728d9b5222a98530163034.png

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

3 hours ago, Jtalk4456 said:

only 30 tabs?? Noob.

1 hour ago, GilmourD said:

Seriously. I've got more than that open in just this one window.

i hate having more than 5 open and any given time, i regularly use the "close all tabs to right" i don't quite understand the mentality have having so may tabs open all the time. My SO on the other hand has 2 windows with like 40-60 tabs each.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

8 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

i hate having more than 5 open and any given time, i regularly use the "close all tabs to right" i don't quite understand the mentality have having so may tabs open all the time. My SO on the other hand has 2 windows with like 40-60 tabs each.

I probably have 200 or more tabs in chrome on my galaxy s8

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Today I was surprised by such a non-techie question that I did not know how to answer:

What is a motherboard?

How am I supposed to explain this? Lol. I just went along that it's the component that allows all parts of an electronic system to work together to keep it simple... But really, is this really the so-called "digital generation"?

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

12 minutes ago, Eibe said:

Today I was surprised by such a non-techie question that I did not know how to answer:

What is a motherboard?

How am I supposed to explain this? Lol. I just went along that it's the component that allows all parts of an electronic system to work together to keep it simple... But really, is this really the so-called "digital generation"?

if the cpu is the brain the mobo is the central nervous system, skeletal system, and muscular system combined

43 minutes ago, Jtalk4456 said:

if the cpu is the brain the mobo is the central nervous system, skeletal system, and muscular system combined

I also used the nervous system metaphor, but still, I don't think he really got it (I don't think he was interested in knowing anyway).

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

14 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

It's because I literally have that many things going on at once. Different forums I belong to, selling stuff on Reverb (and sometimes buying to my wife's dismay), tracking shipments, faecbuk, YouTube, mail, Reddit, etc. I go back and forth between things constantly.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Told several people (coworker. teacher....) that the computer is slow because of small amount of RAM. Told them that they should go to downloadmoreram.com and download more RAM. All of them believed it.

4 hours ago, Funtoink63 said:

Told several people (coworker. teacher....) that the computer is slow because of small amount of RAM. Told them that they should go to downloadmoreram.com and download more RAM. All of them believed it.

That's cold! xD

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

• 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, here we go. 

Get ready boys, because this is going to be a long one. 

20180609_192636.thumb.jpg.997c4867494d7be3944a08fb58ac19b8.jpg

In a nutshell, this is a comment thread where some fanboys were defending a company that we commonly like to call "The one fruit with a bite on the side", also known as Apple Inc, against haters and some neutral folks. Now, I don't have any personal like or dislike for the company, only that I own some of their products and I generally like what they do but some of the things they've done are questionable to my eyes. 

Anyway, there's these that I'd like to address because they really just seem to hit a new high of utter fanboyism in my eyes. As for the top one, well, he's more of the neutral kind, wanting Apple to be treated in more or less the same with other tech companies like Google and Microsoft on the account of their weaknesses, and not be treated differently in account for their large influence. Criticism is necessary for product improvement and Apple has proven so in some degree though I'll leave you to decide if they willingly or reluctantly done so. 

Either way, this one caught my eye. 

20180609_193148.jpg.440719eb5c8c43529ef87e1f1ae47a8f.jpg

Now, is Apple having a microscope on them 24/7? I don't really think so. Yes, they are being watched but there are also quite a lot of apologists out there. But that's not my issue. It's the last one. 

Your earlier comments were along the lines of "The facts are everywhere but you have to search for them on Google". I'm sorry dude, but the people you're defending against, the haters, aren't going to bother going to spend the 2 minutes to search up on things that go against their bias. Because that's exactly what it is, a bias. People who are extremely biased aren't going to search up for information that goes against that and would rather find information that supports it.

Furthermore, a comment like that isn't going to convince many because the first impression it has is "I can't be bothered to search up on facts to support my thesis but I'll just put it out there to make it look like I know what I'm talking about". Look, maybe that's not your intention and I get that. But even if the haters will disregard it as fake news, at least put some effort in putting some sources from reputable mediums in order to show that you're willing to make a case. Because the whole "There's proof out there but I'm not going to show you and you're going to have to find it yourself" is one of the most common copouts for people who don't really know what they're saying. Perhaps you are different and that's fine, but that does not give a good first impression. 

And another thing, "iKnockOff users". Really? Is that how we're going to judge users of other phones due to different preferences? Sure, there are the hardcore Android fanboys who are just as bad (probably worse, actually), but are we seriously going to rope in those people who couldn't care less about what platform they're on? 

Moving on... 

20180609_203352.thumb.jpg.0c71c88da26db6f3eb433480c4bcb593.jpg

"100% of Androids spy on its users and why aren't you guys criticizing that?" 

We do. Look beyond the websites that act as Google apologists who think they can do no wrong. 

"Why when Samsung iPhoneys were exploding planes, homes and automobiles, Android users STILL blamed Apple for it? Saying 'oh, Apple must've paid the victims to say that'.." 

Oh, the Note7 fiasco? No reasonable person blamed Apple. In fact, it was the biggest tech meme of 2016 and Samsung rightfully deserved the flak it got from the news, blogs, consumers and in terms of profit. The only ones who claimed Apple did it are, once again, the hardcore Apple haters/Android fanboys. Do not rope in the regular users who couldn't care less. 

"I sense you're making up BS to bash Apple" 

Kindly re-read the first comment. Nowhere am I seeing Apple bashing, and nowhere am I seeing BS masquerading as "facts" (this is indicated by the use of the word "seemingly"). The first comment expressed concern that Apple may not be held accountable to the same degree as others like Google or Microsoft for their mistakes. There was no Apple bashing. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

"Look up the sources yourself. Stop being a lazy iHater" 

I'm sorry dude, but the people you're defending against, the haters, aren't going to bother going to spend the 2 minutes to search up on things that go against their bias. Because that's exactly what it is, a bias. People who are extremely biased aren't going to search up for information that goes against that and would rather find information that supports it.

Furthermore, a comment like that isn't going to convince many because the first impression it has is "I can't be bothered to search up on facts to support my thesis but I'll just put it out there to make it look like I know what I'm talking about". Look, maybe that's not your intention and I get that. But even if the haters will disregard it as fake news, at least put some effort in putting some sources from reputable mediums in order to show that you're willing to make a case. Because the whole "There's proof out there but I'm not going to show you and you're going to have to find it yourself" is one of the most common copouts for people who don't really know what they're saying. Perhaps you are different and that's fine, but that does not give a good first impression. 

That's all. 

Also, I have to mention this. In your comment, you said "Luckily criticism makes Apple stronger". Which was exactly the point of the first comment. Criticism allows people and others to know their mistakes and when held accountable, it will need to be fixed so it doesn't happen again. 

Come on, people. I know Apple is mighty and powerful but couldn't we be rational and criticize them where necessary? Hell, even our resident Apple fanboys will attach sources to prove their point. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

On 6/9/2018 at 8:44 AM, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Oh boy, here we go. 

Get ready boys, because this is going to be a long one. 

20180609_192636.thumb.jpg.997c4867494d7be3944a08fb58ac19b8.jpg

In a nutshell, this is a comment thread where some fanboys were defending a company that we commonly like to call "The one fruit with a bite on the side", also known as Apple Inc, against haters and some neutral folks. Now, I don't have any personal like or dislike for the company, only that I own some of their products and I generally like what they do but some of the things they've done are questionable to my eyes. 

Anyway, there's these that I'd like to address because they really just seem to hit a new high of utter fanboyism in my eyes. As for the top one, well, he's more of the neutral kind, wanting Apple to be treated in more or less the same with other tech companies like Google and Microsoft on the account of their weaknesses, and not be treated differently in account for their large influence. Criticism is necessary for product improvement and Apple has proven so in some degree though I'll leave you to decide if they willingly or reluctantly done so. 

Either way, this one caught my eye. 

20180609_193148.jpg.440719eb5c8c43529ef87e1f1ae47a8f.jpg

Now, is Apple having a microscope on them 24/7? I don't really think so. Yes, they are being watched but there are also quite a lot of apologists out there. But that's not my issue. It's the last one. 

Your earlier comments were along the lines of "The facts are everywhere but you have to search for them on Google". I'm sorry dude, but the people you're defending against, the haters, aren't going to bother going to spend the 2 minutes to search up on things that go against their bias. Because that's exactly what it is, a bias. People who are extremely biased aren't going to search up for information that goes against that and would rather find information that supports it.

And another thing, "iKnockOff users". Really? Is that how we're going to judge users of other phones due to different preferences? Sure, there are the hardcore Android fanboys who are just as bad (probably worse, actually), but are we seriously going to rope in those people who couldn't care less about what platform they're on? 

Moving on... 

20180609_203352.thumb.jpg.0c71c88da26db6f3eb433480c4bcb593.jpg

"100% of Androids spy on its users and why aren't you guys criticizing that?" 

We do. Look beyond the websites that act as Google apologists who think they can do no wrong. 

"Why when Samsung iPhoneys were exploding planes, homes and automobiles, Android users STILL blamed Apple for it? Saying 'oh, Apple must've paid the victims to say that'.." 

Oh, the Note7 fiasco? No reasonable person blamed Apple. In fact, it was the biggest tech meme of 2016 and Samsung rightfully deserved the flak it got from the news, blogs, consumers and in terms of profit. The only ones who claimed Apple did it are, once again, the hardcore Apple haters/Android fanboys. Do not rope in the regular users who couldn't care less. 

"I sense you're making up BS to bash Apple" 

Kindly re-read the first comment. Nowhere am I seeing Apple bashing, and nowhere am I seeing BS masquerading as "facts" (this is indicated by the use of the word "seemingly"). The first comment expressed concern that Apple may not be held accountable to the same degree as others like Google or Microsoft for their mistakes. There was no Apple bashing. I don't see anything wrong with that. 

"Look up the sources yourself. Stop being a lazy iHater" 

That's all. 

Also, I have to mention this. In your comment, you said "Luckily criticism makes Apple stronger". Which was exactly the point of the first comment. Criticism allows people and others to know their mistakes and when held accountable, it will need to be fixed so it doesn't happen again. 

Come on, people. I know Apple is mighty and powerful but couldn't we be rational and criticize them where necessary? Hell, even our resident Apple fanboys will attach sources to prove their point. 

image.jpeg.554eb68dc791108c09e90361a04bca8e.jpeg

13 minutes ago, rhysj6 said:

In my English class we are doing speeches and someone who was taking the Mick said "To what extent does the CPU architecture affect the motherboard and data corruption"

I couldn't stop laughing lol

It's a very big extent. Skylake affects data corruption a lot worse than Ivy Bridge. /s

To be fair, CPU architecture does effect motherboards. Different architectures may require different motherboards. Kaby and Coffee Lake are examples of this.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Client called because he needs access to some ressource on a file server.

Ok, I check his AD access (just to be sure, he could already have access). Turn out he does have access ... ok, sometimes they say "I need access" when they mean "I need a mapped drive for a specific folder", so I'll just map that folder to a drive, easy!

So I remote in the guy's PC ... and he already has a mapped drive directing him to the correct folder (WTF?). So I confirm with him again what folder he needs, he tells me again and I inform him it's the one that's already mapped but he insists it isn't ... Ok that's possible, since we have different servers for different locations maybe he needs access to a project from another location that has a similar name, right?

Nope, what he has (from my POV, is the correct server and folder). I inquire a colleague about the project folder he's asking access for and I get confirmation that this project is only on the server he already has access to!

So I ask him to check with his supervisor, or a colleague, to confirm the specific folder he needs. He puts me on hold and a few minutes later he comes back with the specific folder, that happens to be a the root of the folder that's already mapped ... sigh ... at least that was a good way to spend 25 minutes! lol

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

20 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Client called because he needs access to some ressource on a file server.

Ok, I check his AD access (just to be sure, he could already have access). Turn out he does have access ... ok, sometimes they say "I need access" when they mean "I need a mapped drive for a specific folder", so I'll just map that folder to a drive, easy!

So I remote in the guy's PC ... and he already has a mapped drive directing him to the correct folder (WTF?). So I confirm with him again what folder he needs, he tells me again and I inform him it's the one that's already mapped but he insists it isn't ... Ok that's possible, since we have different servers for different locations maybe he needs access to a project from another location that has a similar name, right?

Nope, what he has (from my POV, is the correct server and folder). I inquire a colleague about the project folder he's asking access for and I get confirmation that this project is only on the server he already has access to!

So I ask him to check with his supervisor, or a colleague, to confirm the specific folder he needs. He puts me on hold and a few minutes later he comes back with the specific folder, that happens to be a the root of the folder that's already mapped ... sigh ... at least that was a good way to spend 25 minutes! lol

I literally went through that twice this week...

4 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

I literally went through that twice this week...

I had another one like this last week that lasted close to 45 minutes but I can't remember what it was about! lol But it was similar, kept going back and forth, and in the end the user realized everything was as it should! xD

I honestly prefer those to the type of user that "gets in your face" ;

User called, some point of sale problems, turns out they had a blackout during the night and the POS server didn't turn back on (as in Point Of Sales, not Piece Of Shit ... but seeing what they're using, the terms are interchangeable) ... So I escalated to have the UPS looked at since that shouldn't have happened. But I digress, I see the server is down and I ask her to go to the server rack and start it manually.

She didn't like that, she complained she NEVER had to do that before and that she shouldn't have to do it! Every time I tried explaining what the problem was (blackout and the UPS might have an issue), she would cut me off and start ranting again.

What should've been a 5-10 minute call turned into a 25 minute call because she wouldn't listen and would cut me off every time!!! :dry:

In then end she did go to the rack and started the server, but she didn't apologize or anything! *sigh*

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

I had another one like this last week that lasted close to 45 minutes but I can't remember what it was about! lol But it was similar, kept going back and forth, and in the end the user realized everything was as it should! xD

I honestly prefer those to the type of user that "gets in your face" ;

User called, some point of sale problems, turns out they had a blackout during the night and the POS server didn't turn back on (as in Point Of Sales, not Piece Of Shit ... but seeing what they're using, the terms are interchangeable) ... So I escalated to have the UPS looked at since that shouldn't have happened. But I digress, I see the server is down and I ask her to go to the server rack and start it manually.

She didn't like that, she complained she NEVER had to do that before and that she shouldn't have to do it! Every time I tried explaining what the problem was (blackout and the UPS might have an issue), she would cut me off and start ranting again.

What should've been a 5-10 minute call turned into a 25 minute call because she wouldn't listen and would cut me off every time!!! :dry:

In then end she did go to the rack and started the server, but she didn't apologize or anything! *sigh*

My biggest problem is when we get tickets that are literally like this. And I'm using "literally" correctly. None of this is hyperbole.

Subject: HELP!!!
Body: My thing is broken!!!

It astounds me that nobody understands that you need to describe the problem. It also astounds me that about 80% of the time there's nothing actually wrong but rather they never even tried to make it work. They just see things are off and don't bother turning them on.

7 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

My biggest problem is when we get tickets that are literally like this. And I'm using "literally" correctly. None of this is hyperbole.

Subject: HELP!!!
Body: My thing is broken!!!

tenor.gif?itemid=5638083

4 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

@wkdpaul respect for your patience! I could not do IT support because these retards would drive me nuts. I would be fired on my first day for raging.

My boss and I rage on each other fortunately. It's the only way we survive.

• 2 months later...

Today I observed one of my Classmates how he explained to a Substitute teacher how a scanner works, that it slef made me cringe but the fact that he needed to explain to her how a normal everyday Headset with a regular 3.5mm jack works just made me Facepalm so hard that I nearly droped my Glasses. I mean she is a teacher, dosen't she know these simple things ? LOL

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Me: You like tech right?

Friend: Yeah

Me: So Nvidia released new graphics cards … [I ramble about their use in medical imaging, gaming, raytracing]

Friend: So can you plug it into a laptop? [points to my 2016 MBP]

Me: If you buy an enclosure for it sure

Friend: So it'll work on my 2007 MacBook?

Me: …..

AMD Ryzen 3950x under a Noctua D15S, 32 Gb G Skill FlareX 3200 DDR4 running at 3200 CL14, Gigabyte Aorus Pro 570 Wifi, Gigabyte 2070 Super hooked to a Dell U2718Q 4k HDR monitor & an Acer 1440p 144hz IPS panel of some kind, an Inland 1 TB M.2 PCIE 4 main drive, a Samsung NVME M.2 250Gb, WD Blue 500Gb  and 1 TB SSDs, Corsair RMX750, Rainbows and butterflies...

2 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Today I observed one of my Classmates how he explained to a Substitute teacher how a scanner works, that it slef made me cringe but the fact that he needed to explain to her how a normal everyday Headset with a regular 3.5mm jack works just made me Facepalm so hard that I nearly droped my Glasses. I mean she is a teacher, dosen't she know these simple things ? LOL

Oh gosh...

Some people just don't know stuff, in high school I'd constantly be helping teachers with tech troubles.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!