Experiences with non-techies

18 minutes ago, Ollie5 said:

My dad constantly complains about his old moto g 2. It's battery is dead, it barely runs chrome without stuttering and it has a tiny amount of storage. Plus, it doesn't help that it was an underpowered phone from the getgo. 

"My damn phone's dead halfway through the day AGAIN!"

"Dad, look at this new phone. It does everything you need. Why don't you get a new one?"

"Mine's fine look, still works. Better than your Samsung crap"

*sigh*

My dad bitches about his phone. It has a hair line crack in the glass. But he refuses to buy a new one. My sister just got an iPhone 8 which retails for $600 roughly, I bought a OnePlus 3t for $550 with accessories. He wont go out and pay $200 or less for a new phone. His is one of those $129 Samsung's, it does what he needs it to do. So for fathers day, Im taking his ass to the T Mobile store and he will have a new phone because I will buy it, he will have no choice in the matter. I might even splurge and get him one a little more expensive. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

i actually did use my phone as a replacement for my laptop because.. well i didn't have one.. so when im not on my desktop i just used my phone

now that i actually do have a laptop, phone usage -> only when im outside / school 

Funny because my phone has always served as a school device. I've written 2 of my essays entirely on my phone lol.

Kubuntu 22.10

Ryzen 7 5700X

RX 6700 XT

Just now, Donut417 said:

My dad bitches about his phone. It has a hair line crack in the glass. But he refuses to buy a new one. My sister just got an iPhone 8 which retails for $600 roughly, I bought a OnePlus 3t for $550 with accessories. He wont go out and pay $200 or less for a new phone. His is one of those $129 Samsung's, it does what he needs it to do. So for fathers day, Im taking his ass to the T Mobile store and he will have a new phone because I will buy it, he will have no choice in the matter. I might even splurge and get him one a little more expensive. 

Might take a trip to the local Three store with mine and do the same thing lol

Will usually reply from 4pm - 2am GMT ish. Depends how late the WAN Show is :P 

What Antivirus does the LTT Comunity Use? | More to come soon...

Just now, Aeternalis said:

Funny because my phone has always served as a school device. I've written 2 of my essays entirely on my phone lol.

And yet in most British secondary schools, phones are banned :/

6 minutes ago, Aeternalis said:

my phone is a media device

that is all.  

sending messages on discord, fucking around on ltt, watching youtube, that is about it.

5 minutes ago, Ollie5 said:

And yet in most British secondary schools, phones are banned :/

same

lunch / inbetween classes

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

• 3 minutes ago, themctipers said:

my phone is a media device

that is all.  

sending messages on discord, fucking around on ltt, watching youtube, that is about it.

same

lunch / inbetween classes

Yep, banned then too.

32 minutes ago, themctipers said:

he smart, samsung is crap lol 

No they aren't (in my opinion). My Galaxy S4 that has had years of use and more than enough abuse (screen never went off, dropped, etc) still looks brand new and works better than my 2 year old iPhone 6. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Went to a friend's place because her computer wasn't working.

>try to turn it on, no response

>check the cables on the back everything seems ok

>wait there's something wrong here

>psu power output has two cables connected

>ask her why she did that and said she went to a hardware store with a drawing of the cable and asked the guys there for a longer cable because the one she had was too short, she plugged in both and boom goodbye computer

Later inspection revealed everything except for the cd reader was dead, and I got a free beer.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

No they aren't (in my opinion). My Galaxy S4 that has had years of use and more than enough abuse (screen never went off, dropped, etc) still looks brand new and works better than my 2 year old iPhone 6. 

it's software was shit

and then it got much much better

its hardware is quite nice except for the glass back 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, kk027 said:

The s6/Note 5s did not have a Snapdragon processor. Anywhere.

im pretty sure it did

terrible battery life and hot as fuck ..

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 minutes ago, kk027 said:

It did not have a Snapdragon processor due to problems with the 810.

ive been living a lie for 3 years fuck

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I've just realized how much faster my G4400 is at general use and web browsing than most office / other people's PCs I've had the displeasure of using.

This includes some peoples £2000 Facebook Macs.

I mean sure I have SSDs, but they're ancient and cost nothing for the same type today (Crucial M4s passed down, MX300s are faster and cheaper).

I just don't get what people do with their computers that make them so much slower than my £50 CPU. Also I think the latest celerons are faster than my G4400 now? The new pentiums are 2C 4T, and the new celerons are what my G4400 is but with newer cores.

Linus is my fetish.

11 hours ago, themctipers said:

ive been living a lie for 3 years fuck

They used exynos 7420s. I'm not sure but those might've run pretty hot too, just not as crap as heatdragon 810

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

16 hours ago, Ollie5 said:

My dad constantly complains about his old moto g 2. It's battery is dead, it barely runs chrome without stuttering and it has a tiny amount of storage. Plus, it doesn't help that it was an underpowered phone from the getgo. 

"My damn phone's dead halfway through the day AGAIN!"

"Dad, look at this new phone. It does everything you need. Why don't you get a new one?"

"Mine's fine look, still works. Better than your Samsung crap"

*sigh*

It's same here!

"My phone bla bla doesn't work out of storage apps can't work bla battery goes psycho"

"get a new phone"

"eh..."

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

16 hours ago, themctipers said:

a 6s+ back in 2015 because the note 5 has terrible battery and crapdragon 810 lol

Pretty sure the Note5 only had one choice of SoC

The same Exynos 7420 that powered the S6

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Oh crap, I think a non - techie bought my H110i GT cooler:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332511711573?euid=8f8de9d1373548e499a8fb74b54c6055&bu=43036745901&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Message I got this morning:

'Is the bracket sent for an amd. It does not fit my board, which is an Z170 socket , Intel LGA 1151.

Please advise'

Erm ...

s-l1600.jpg

Right there on the top right of the Intel backplate you can see 1366<->115X

I replied with instructions that he needs to remove the nuts / bolts that were left installed from my X99 setup, and reinstall them into the inner holes.

And yes, I did package both brackets:

s-l1600.jpg

I wrapped them both up in kitchen roll and put them in the box ...

s-l1600.jpg

What will I do if he actually claims the Intel backplate isnt in the box? Im pretty sure he just couldnt figure out that the nuts needed reinstalling into the inner holes though.

In the future I had better include a link to the online instruction manual, I always lose the ones inside the boxes.

Linus is my fetish.

14 minutes ago, Bhav said:

Oh crap, I think a non - techie bought my H110i GT cooler:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332511711573?euid=8f8de9d1373548e499a8fb74b54c6055&bu=43036745901&cp=1&sojTags=bu=bu

Message I got this morning:

'Is the bracket sent for an amd. It does not fit my board, which is an Z170 socket , Intel LGA 1151.

Please advise'

Erm ...

Right there on the top right of the Intel backplate you can see 1366<->115X

I replied with instructions that he needs to remove the nuts / bolts that were left installed from my X99 setup, and reinstall them into the inner holes.

And yes, I did package both brackets:

I wrapped them both up in kitchen roll and put them in the box ...

What will I do if he actually claims the Intel backplate isnt in the box? Im pretty sure he just couldnt figure out that the nuts needed reinstalling into the inner holes though.

In the future I had better include a link to the online instruction manual, I always lose the ones inside the boxes.

I always keep everything that comes in my boxes, and the boxes just to avoid that shit when I sell

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

The power went out at work one night so the manager let her technically incompetent boyfriend nose arround the server rack after 12 hours of the store being down I came in after my shift at a nother store and asked what was wrong I walked in back and discovered he turned the power off to the router and insisted he didn't do it .

When you’re mad that manufacturers are making devices more secure (on Oreo, Samsung removed all biometric data if an insecure screen lock is used as per Google guidelines), so you decide to make your phone less secure in favor of a tiny bit of extra convenience...

0703A980-ECBD-4DDC-982D-0CA3420D283E.jpeg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I always keep everything that comes in my boxes, and the boxes just to avoid that shit when I sell

Oh fudge, its actually either mine or Corsair's fault.

I didnt have any Socket 115X standoffs with the cooler. I've searched top to bottom and there are none anywhere in sight.

I've offered either a refund if the buyer wants to send me it back, or even better wait for Corsair to send me a socket 115X mounting kit as I still have warranty on the cooler and I've just submitted a ticket for one, which I'll then post to the buyer.

Also the backplates I got with the cooler are both different to the ones in the latest manual for the cooler, so I think its due to having bought it before newer sockets came out that I didnt have the right standoffs that are needed now for 115X. 

Linus is my fetish.

I FOUND THE BAG OF MISSING SCREWS!!!!!

Fortunately the buyer was understanding and said he will leave me A+ feedback after getting them and a copy of my original invoice.

Disaster averted, but erm, I already submitted a ticket for new screws from corsair oopsie. I'll reply to it tomorrow and also tell them I found the screws.

Linus is my fetish.

"It seems they did not bother testing their product on a real phone"  

Maybe you should have double checked before you bought it. You bought a screen protector for the first Moto Z when you own a Moto Z2 Force... 

Screenshot_20180206-152221.jpg

On 2/6/2018 at 11:18 AM, LoganTNZ said:

"The human eye cant see over 30 fps"

I applied to a tech college a while ago. Went to the interview.

Finished the questionnaire. Had my chat with the administrator about the courses I want to study.

We had 10 minutes left before the interview was over, so we had some small talk about computers.

I said that I recently purchased a 144FPS monitor, and the motion is amazing in comparison to 60, however certain games don't benefit as much.

'I personally don't notice the difference after about 24FPS'

I couldn't tell whether he was joking or not, but I laughed irregardless. I believe he was not joking.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold ||