Experiences with non-techies

I found this while listening to the scooby doo theme song on youtube

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

On 2/11/2018 at 6:16 AM, Aleksbgbg said:

I applied to a tech college a while ago. Went to the interview.

Finished the questionnaire. Had my chat with the administrator about the courses I want to study.

We had 10 minutes left before the interview was over, so we had some small talk about computers.

I said that I recently purchased a 144FPS monitor, and the motion is amazing in comparison to 60, however certain games don't benefit as much.

'I personally don't notice the difference after about 24FPS'

I couldn't tell whether he was joking or not, but I laughed irregardless. I believe he was not joking.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

Sorry man. 

I kinda get where you're coming from but I just don't get how the notch on the iPhone X is beneficial. 

Also, "how on earth it reduces screen area"??? 

Dude, it cuts into the fucking display, as in the thing you're looking at. The notch reduces the actual viewable display area. 

Look, I like the iPhone X and while I don't like the notch personally, I didn't mind it too much while using it. But that's the difference. I don't like it but I also don't mind it that much. Maybe try to understand where others are coming from before doing a counter argument that can only be described as "pretty petty". 

SmartSelectImage_2018-02-15-00-29-19.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

1 hour ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

Sorry man. 

I kinda get where you're coming from but I just don't get how the notch on the iPhone X is beneficial. 

Also, "how on earth it reduces screen area"??? 

Dude, it cuts into the fucking display, as in the thing you're looking at. The notch reduces the actual viewable display area. 

Look, I like the iPhone X and while I don't like the notch personally, I didn't mind it too much while using it. But that's the difference. I don't like it but I also don't mind it that much. Maybe try to understand where others are coming from before doing a counter argument that can only be described as "pretty petty". 

SmartSelectImage_2018-02-15-00-29-19.jpg

imo it's for an iconic design. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

2 hours ago, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

sniiiiiipped

image.png.4d2581ffeeb004380ab97c847f1ae0b1.png

I had a friend the other day have their trackpad "stop working" turns out that they had pressed the disable teackpad key on the keyboard, it two seconds to work this out after them struggling with the issue for over an hour

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

5 minutes ago, grimreeper132 said:

I had a friend the other day have their trackpad "stop working" turns out that they had pressed the disable teackpad key on the keyboard, it two seconds to work this out after them struggling with the issue for over an hour

I had a similar issue with my mom, except her laptop needed to be restarted.

Really funny for me, since her troubleshooting basically ends at "Did you turn it off and on again?" and she hadn't tried it.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I had a similar issue with my mom, except her laptop needed to be restarted.

Really funny for me, since her troubleshooting basically ends at "Did you turn it off and on again?" and she hadn't tried it.

yea no they didn't try that either, as also would of fixed it

The owner of "too many" computers, called

The Lord of all Toasters (1920X 1080ti 32GB)

The Toasted Controller (i5 4670, R9 380, 24GB)

The Semi Portable Toastie machine (i7 3612QM (was an i3) intel HD 4000 16GB)'

Bread and Butter Pudding (i7 7700HQ, 1050ti, 16GB)

Pinoutbutter Sandwhich (raspberry pi 3 B)

The Portable Slice of Bread (N270, HAHAHA, 2GB)

Muffinator (C2D E6600, Geforce 8400, 6GB, 8X2TB HDD)

Toastbuster (WIP, should be cool)

loaf and let dough (A printer that doesn't print black ink)

The Cheese Toastie (C2D (of some sort), GTX 760, 3GB, win XP gaming machine)

The Toaster (C2D, intel HD, 4GB, 2X1TB NAS)

Matter of Loaf and death (some old shitty AMD laptop)

windybread (4X E5470, intel HD, 32GB ECC) (use coming soon, maybe)

And more, several more

1 hour ago, grimreeper132 said:

My disable trackpad button doesn't works and so I have to put tape on it to prevent me from moving the mouse around while typing and it still doesn't work as well either because it moves EVEN WITH TAPE

IMG_9508.JPG

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

On 1/16/2013 at 2:35 PM, ErwinS said:

Customer walks into the IT shop I worked at. She looks around (Computers and gadgets everywhere) . She walks to the counter and asks me if we sell clothes.

post-502-13667861193552_thumb.jpg

OMG, I had a similar thing happen to me, although it was not when I worked for CompUSA or PC Warehouse. I was working in a guitar shop and a woman came in asking if we sold gloves. I showed her some drummers gloves (for better grip on drumsticks) and she's like "No, gloves for when your hands are cold" and looked at me like I had brain damage in a room full of musical instruments.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

21 hours ago, themctipers said:

My disable trackpad button doesn't works and so I have to put tape on it to prevent me from moving the mouse around while typing and it still doesn't work as well either because it moves EVEN WITH TAPE

IMG_9508.JPG

Asus machine? Clean Win install? Go to the Asus site and install the ATK package. It's their stupid little software bit that handles all the function keys.

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

On 2/11/2018 at 9:16 AM, Aleksbgbg said:

I applied to a tech college a while ago. Went to the interview.

Finished the questionnaire. Had my chat with the administrator about the courses I want to study.

We had 10 minutes left before the interview was over, so we had some small talk about computers.

I said that I recently purchased a 144FPS monitor, and the motion is amazing in comparison to 60, however certain games don't benefit as much.

'I personally don't notice the difference after about 24FPS'

I couldn't tell whether he was joking or not, but I laughed irregardless. I believe he was not joking.

A lot of people actually don't see it. I really don't see much difference beyond 60 so 120Hz screens are a waste of money for me.

3 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Asus machine? Clean Win install? Go to the Asus site and install the ATK package. It's their stupid little software bit that handles all the function keys.

id much rather prefer the trackpad not being activated or allowed to when i am typing.

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 minutes ago, themctipers said:

id much rather prefer the trackpad not being activated or allowed to when i am typing.

Windows should have an option to disable the trackpad when typing.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

25 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Right. The ATK package allows the Fn+F9 key combo to turn off the trackpad. I found that out the hard way when my former idiot of a boss did a clean Win10 install on one of our Asus TP300LA machines instead of using the custom-prepped image we had and nothing worked.

21 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Windows should have an option to disable the trackpad when typing.

True. You could always disable the trackpad in Device Manager. 

image.png.710f5f6e94ee1ea958a2a414d3159bf6.png

11 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

True. You could always disable the trackpad in Device Manager. 

image.png.710f5f6e94ee1ea958a2a414d3159bf6.png

but i use it to navigate

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

49 minutes ago, Juvel said:

I used to work at a computer shop for IT support and service. Whenever something is wrong with the machine, they'll always ask if it's a virus or not. If the shortcut on the desktop is gone, they would think all of their data on the computer are gone.

My mum isn't non-techy but she just double clicks on EVERYTHING she wants to open. That includes links and buttons on the web browser. She would double click on the Google searches to open them too and I got really annoyed watching her using the computer at some point of my life.

I have another one but it's not really non-techies. My friend is a photographer but not much of a computer guy so he bought a netbook(yes, those 10-inches) and brought it to college. Apparently he actually used that netbook to edit photo and do his work. I remember him posting a comment which he thinks tiny computer are less powerful(true to some extent).

i really like netbooks, mine was both great and garbage. so sad that Atoms are dead

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I had an argument with my mum a couple of weeks ago. She asked for a mouse for her iPad to match her keyboard. I mentioned that didn't make sense and mice weren't officially supported by iPads anyway. She had a go at me and spent two hours looking for iPad mice to no avail... It's worth mentioning that she also has a MacBook Air...

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

29 minutes ago, Dude said:

I had an argument with my mum a couple of weeks ago. She asked for a mouse for her iPad to match her keyboard. I mentioned that didn't make sense and mice weren't officially supported by iPads anyway. She had a go at me and spent two hours looking for iPad mice to no avail... It's worth mentioning that she also has a MacBook Air...

cant you like get a mouse via OTG like on android?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

cant you like get a mouse via OTG like on android?

Nah, fam. 

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

To this day my co-worker swears that re-seating a coax cable on a modem “discharges static”. Explained if it was loose to begin with this would work, but coax is grounded so... 

Oh and when the accountant is in it’s non-stop fun. Last week she had printer issues. Walked over, closed the paper tray and hit the ready button to “fix” it. Also  she was using the magnifier instead of just going full screen on a terminal window. Showed her how, and then came back saying she couldn’t get out of it again. Taught her how to do that. She’s been using a computer for 20 years...

When you're the only sane person in the comments 

Screenshot_20180222-165607.jpg

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD2L1V3 said:

When you're the only sane person in the comments 

Screenshot_20180222-165607.jpg

pleas stop

for your own sanity

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.