Experiences with non-techies

So, there's this new client we're taking over, last IT company they were doing business with were utter idiots, to the point were most employees wouldn't enter tickets and instead lived with their problems because they would either a) do a bad job fixing it, or b) would take forever to fix simple problems, if ever...

So ... we have taken over and there's TONS of problems we are slowly uncovering. One user had problems with her ethernet connection (from day one and the last IT support company fix didn't work), one of our tech tried to troubleshoot what was wrong and everything pointed to the switch they have at that desk (already a red flag, they only need 3 connection in that area : 2 users and one network printer, they should have 4 network connection at the wall, not 2).

The inventory for that office doesn't show any switch there (another red flag) ... and on the network side, we can only see one of the 2 devices connected, so yeah, it's definitely the switch (at this point we had tried many thing including cables, ports on the switch and wall, etc...), but we do everything remotely (we're doing remote support and will only show up if the only solution needs a physical presence).

This morning we found out what the problem was : the users at those 2 desks were not given a switch, but a useless passive splitter that doesn't allow 2 devices to be connected at once ... Who thought this would even work?!?!?!?!?!?! Lets just say that we're slowly getting the scope of how incompetent that last IT support company was!!!!!

What they installed at that desk ;

https://www.amazon.ca/Duttek-Splitter-Interface-Ethernet-Connector/dp/B07352DXVX/

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

So, there's this new client we're taking over, last IT company they were doing business with were utter idiots, to the point were most employees wouldn't enter tickets and instead lived with their problems because they would either a) do a bad job fixing it, or b) would take forever to fix simple problems, if ever...

So ... we have taken over and there's TONS of problems we are slowly uncovering. One user had problems with her ethernet connection (from day one and the last IT support company fix didn't work), one of our tech tried to troubleshoot what was wrong and everything pointed to the switch they have at that desk (already a red flag, they only need 3 connection in that area : 2 users and one network printer, they should have 4 network connection at the wall, not 2).

The inventory for that office doesn't show any switch there (another red flag) ... and on the network side, we can only see one of the 2 devices connected, so yeah, it's definitely the switch (at this point we had tried many thing including cables, ports on the switch and wall, etc...), but we do everything remotely (we're doing remote support and will only show up if the only solution needs a physical presence).

This morning we found out what the problem was : the users at those 2 desks were not given a switch, but a useless passive splitter that doesn't allow 2 devices to be connected at once ... Who thought this would even work?!?!?!?!?!?! Lets just say that we're slowly getting the scope of how incompetent that last IT support company was!!!!!

https://www.amazon.ca/Duttek-Splitter-Interface-Ethernet-Connector/dp/B07352DXVX/

At least the inventory was right a switch didn't exist ?

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

Why does that product even exist!?!?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

14 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Probably invented by some con artist

These are technically used to run 2 ethernet lines through 1 line, but you're supposed to use them as a pair, not just one by itself. It's also useless on a Gb network.

Ethernet cables have 8 wires, Gb uses all 8, but 100/10Mbps use only 4, so these Y connectors "changes" the wiring pinout so that each ports use 4 wires on the cable between the 2. Maybe there was a time where it would've been useful or if you need an emergency extra port, but it's not something I would deploy as a permanent solution in a business in 2018, especially when it looks like the dumbass that installed this only installed one!

Not sure if I explained correctly, so here's an image I found online ;

BFKCJ.png.53545bf67c00e78b6eecd50480e3b6a3.png

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

When they ask me about a particular thing while they're litterally holding they're phone in the hand..      ... Just Google it !

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

5 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

When they ask me about a particular thing while they're litterally holding they're phone in the hand..      ... Just Google it !

i can get that though, it can be much easier having it explained to you than reading it off the web

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

My landlord thinks that a cpu cooler can bring temps below ambient of you blow air on it faster than 35cfm.... This is the same guy that thinks Pentium 4 is the best processor and all other processors are slower.

anothter nice one from the dude that refused to listen to my instructions for how to quickest install a new graphics card:

him: hey whats latency messured in, nano or mili seconds?

me: uuu probably nano but for what?

him: RAM

me: thats generally said in clock cycles

him: ok but what about harddrives?

me: thats most likely in mili seconds

him: ok so the unit varies then based on the memory, i see

me: your harddrive dosent count as the same thing as your RAM, thats storage

him: i see, i guess im retarded

hey at least he is learning, its something

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I'm still getting things mixed up when they say PC a "CPU".

When they say: "Can you turn my CPU on?"

I'll be like: "Huh? Ooh ok ok I'll turn it on."

They really need to get used to say "PC" as computer instead of CPU....

I'd reply their CPUs were on their motherboards if they asked me.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My friend says he can upgrade the ram on his monitor by downloading it. 

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

Just now, Julian5 said:

My friend says he can upgrade the ram on his monitor by downloading it. 

It's a real thing. downloadmoreram.com

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

On 5/11/2018 at 8:12 AM, Karakofire said:

Pentium 4 is the best processor

Rubbish, Athlon 64 is higher number.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

On 23/5/2018 at 12:53 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's a real thing. downloadmoreram.com

wOW tEcHnOLoGY iS aMAzIng

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

On 23/5/2018 at 12:54 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Rubbish, Athlon 64 is higher number.

is that 64 cores I hear?

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Julian5 said:

is that 64 cores I hear?

Yeah but that's why I got a 6700k. Cuz it has 6700 cores

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

is that 64 cores I hear?

Yes, 64 times faster than the Pentium 4. Now you may be asking "but Crunchy, 4x64 =/= 64". Glad you asked! The Athlon 64 by itself is 32 times faster than the Pentium 4, but once you add the 'X2' to the Athlon 64, it multiplies that by 2. Is clearly superior choice for gaming PC.

Just now, DocSwag said:

Yeah but that's why I got a 6700k. Cuz it has 6700 cores

I got a Ryzen 5 1600 because 5x1600 = 8,000 cores.

On 23/5/2018 at 12:58 AM, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yes, 64 times faster than the Pentium 4. Now you may be asking "but Crunchy, 4x64 =/= 64". Glad you asked! The Athlon 64 by itself is 32 times faster than the Pentium 4, but once you add the 'X2' to the Athlon 64, it multiplies that by 2. Is clearly superior choice for gaming PC.

But wait, If you are running a 64 bit OS then it multiplies again right? double the speed of a 32 bit,

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

I got a Ryzen 5 1600 because 5x1600 = 8,000 cores.

Why not an i5 8400 with 5x8400 = 32000 cores?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Just now, DocSwag said:

Wouldn't fit in my budget :(

Just now, Julian5 said:

But wait, If you are running a 64 bit OS then it multiplies again right? double the speed of a 32 bit,

Yes, it does.

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If we went by that logic, how would we explain the i9 7980XE? D:

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

On 23/5/2018 at 1:05 AM, Hiitchy said:

(9 x 7989) x exponential 64 (os bits)

Elemental 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Laptops

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

9x7980 = 71,820 XE cores. XE = Xtra Efficient.