NVIDIA quietly announces a GT 1010 that's apparently faster than a GT 1030 DDR4

Ash_Kechummm
41 minutes ago, Kisai said:

The UHD 630 iGPU is nearly identical in performance to the 1030

I wouldn't call 100% - 200% more performance nearly identical

if its under 60$ I'll toss one in a media center PC to give me the ability to stream modern stuff and not have DRM isues

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

2 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Right, but I was thinking more along the lines of, say, a fledgling Twitch streamer or something.

That's where second hand GTX cards come into play.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

23 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's where second hand GTX cards come into play.

Yeh, I guess, if that's all that you can find available...

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

2 hours ago, The1Dickens said:

Yeh, I guess, if that's all that you can find available...

VCE isn't as good (experience with HD7970 and RX580).

PMSL

On 1/17/2021 at 2:41 AM, Spotty said:

I was not expecting Nvidia to release a new Pascal card in 2021.

Pascal will never die.

On 1/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, SAVE-12-HK said:

how is it possible 1010 is faster?

Gt 1010  has gddr5. So it may be faster then the gddr4 variant of the get 1030

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Came from other topic, to those who say "there's no market for this, an iGPU is better" there *is* a market for cards like the 1010, you might not see lots of them in highly developed places but cards like the 210 and 710 are common in poor countries, comes reasonably cheap considering a high end card or rig costs literal years of work. A low end card doesn't requires aux power and you can pretty much slot it in any mobo that comes with a PCIe slot. The only downside is that apparently the 1010 will be fully digital, no more VGA.

An iGPU is better, yes, but you're talking about a **current gen** iGPU, the UHD630 comes packed with a 700 dollar CPU for God's sake, old onboard outputs can't keep up with today's requirements (even playing a youtube vid) and most of the times upgrading the entire computer is in a word impossible, but adding a card like that can give your old computer a couple more years of life, apparently nvidia knows this and keeps releasing cards, they also know AMD failed to satisfy low end users, the last truly low end cards were the HD5450/6450 more than 10 years ago, the R5/R7 and RX cards were pathetic compared to what nvidia offered in the same price bracket.

I fix computers, most of them don't even have a graphics card and rely on the onboard graphics for everything, yes they're probably painfully slow compared to a brand new PC but adding a 710 or a 1010 usually does the trick and people don't need to sell a kidney to get it.

Pretty well this. Old PCs have a bit of a challenge decoding the newer codecs such  as VP9 and HEVC. The GT 1010 could resolve that, while providing some GPU power for lighter indie games, as well as something usable for productivity software for those in poorer areas. If 4K Netflix and 4K BD would work on it, this can be a great option for old HTPCs as well. 

The price is the wild card however. If it will go for sub-$50, I think it would be an excellent option to bring an old system up to snuff, utility-wise, though I feel that to be optimistic at best. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 1/17/2021 at 7:04 PM, Kisai said:

These cards are entirely pointless to have. The UHD 630 iGPU is nearly identical in performance to the 1030, and nvidia wants to make an even less powerful one? Who's the target for this? Potato boxes for SEA?

Workstations for people that don't give a fuck about GPU performance. Xeons/Threadrippers don't have iGPUs, so if you don't need anything more than a display output you buy the cheapest GPU and shove it in.

It's the same market that Intel's targeting with the DG1. Cheap-as-chips GPU for people that only need a display output.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

On 1/17/2021 at 12:52 PM, Dabombinable said:

My GTX 650ti is a lot faster than the DDR4 GT 1030...so that is an extremely low bar.

it's also ancient. there are reasons to want a low end nvidia card. i haven't looked at the 1010 at all, but if it has nvenc then that's a pretty awesome usecase for it if you main gpu is AMD for example. 

or maybe someone has a system with a proprietary power supply (they bought a prebuilt off eaby for $20 or whatever) that does not have pci-e power. that severely limits your gpu options, and modern low end cards liek the 1030 and iirc the GTX 1050 too do not require pci-e power connectors on the power supply. 

i know older cards are a LOT faster, but they aren't always practical. i say that as an owner of a GTX 690, one of the coolest cards nvidia has ever made. but, there is a reason it sits on a shelf as a collection item even though it's in working condition. it's just not practical.

She/Her

On 1/17/2021 at 2:41 AM, Spotty said:

I was not expecting Nvidia to release a new Pascal card in 2021.

Maybe if we pretend like this is a really good graphics card all the scalpers will rush out to buy it, then get stuck with a bunch they can't sell.

Wow, the GT 1010!? I've been waiting for this for years! This is going to be the best value graphics card on the market! Hopefully I will be able to buy one on launch!

They'll just put it in the beat-up old i5-2400 HP Elites they buy in bulk for $40-50 each (tops), then sell the whole thing as a 4K gaming computer for $500.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Gt 1010  has gddr5. So it may be faster then the gddr4 variant of the get 1030

Correction: the shitty 1030 uses DDR4, not GDDR4. There's a reason why it's so slow.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

2 hours ago, Ashley xD said:

it's also ancient. there are reasons to want a low end nvidia card. i haven't looked at the 1010 at all, but if it has nvenc then that's a pretty awesome usecase for it if you main gpu is AMD for example. 

or maybe someone has a system with a proprietary power supply (they bought a prebuilt off eaby for $20 or whatever) that does not have pci-e power. that severely limits your gpu options, and modern low end cards liek the 1030 and iirc the GTX 1050 too do not require pci-e power connectors on the power supply. 

i know older cards are a LOT faster, but they aren't always practical. i say that as an owner of a GTX 690, one of the coolest cards nvidia has ever made. but, there is a reason it sits on a shelf as a collection item even though it's in working condition. it's just not practical.

The GT 1010 and 1030 don't have NVENC though, which is another reason that something such as the 650ti can be practical. There are also models that have no PCIe power connector as well. It is an old card, but if need more than a display adapter, then it is a better choice (if you find one with sane pricing - I'm seeing even second hand 1050ti more expensive than new).

PMSL

On 1/17/2021 at 3:52 AM, Dabombinable said:

My GTX 650ti is a lot faster than the DDR4 GT 1030...so that is an extremely low bar.

It's not meant to be a gaming or high performance card, it's literally just in the "make monitor turn on" spec as said before, low res videos, web browsing, and maybe some office work, nothing else, it'll probably cost like 30-50 dollars and literally just be meant to power a display.

speaking that the gt710 can barely play video at this point, it is needed

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

18 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

The GT 1010 and 1030 don't have NVENC though

Huh, why though

Would think it would be a great selling point for capture PC and what not

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Huh, why though

Would think it would be a great selling point for capture PC and what not

The chips are designed without it. Its as simple as that.

4 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

It's not meant to be a gaming or high performance card, it's literally just in the "make monitor turn on" spec as said before, low res videos, web browsing, and maybe some office work, nothing else, it'll probably cost like 30-50 dollars and literally just be meant to power a display.

speaking that the gt710 can barely play video at this point, it is needed

Point is, the GT 1030 DDR4 is pathetic. The GDDR5 1030 matches the GTX 650ti BTW in gaming performance (Tech Jesus found that out with a scam 1GB GTX 650ti).

And there are people out there who simply can't afford better for gaming, which is why gaming performance is still relevant (and what if people would like to stream?). When you look at the GT 1030 DDR4 benchmarks BTW, and then the price, plus the fact that initially they weren't even labelled as being DDR4, the DDR4 GT 1030 is a total ripoff.

PMSL

14 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Workstations for people that don't give a fuck about GPU performance. Xeons/Threadrippers don't have iGPUs, so if you don't need anything more than a display output you buy the cheapest GPU and shove it in.

It's the same market that Intel's targeting with the DG1. Cheap-as-chips GPU for people that only need a display output.

I think you have that backwards. Servers in a rack don't have iGPU's, the video parts on servers, they typically have something built into the BMC (ASpeed 2500 BMC found on SuperMicro), but why would you put one of these cards in a server when you can connect to the BMC over ethernet, or the VGA connector. Workstations are far more likely to have a Quadro RTX in it.

The 1030 has no video encoder/decoder, so that makes it pointless for a media box or a streaming box.

Again, who is this targeted at that an iGPU wouldn't suffice? Usually the lower-end CPU parts that both AMD and Intel offer have iGPU parts.

>x10 card with a boost clock.

I wonder how high it goes.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

I think you have that backwards. Servers in a rack don't have iGPU's, the video parts on servers, they typically have something built into the BMC (ASpeed 2500 BMC found on SuperMicro), but why would you put one of these cards in a server when you can connect to the BMC over ethernet, or the VGA connector. Workstations are far more likely to have a Quadro RTX in it.

The 1030 has no video encoder/decoder, so that makes it pointless for a media box or a streaming box.

Again, who is this targeted at that an iGPU wouldn't suffice? Usually the lower-end CPU parts that both AMD and Intel offer have iGPU parts.

The GT 1010 and 1030 do have the decoder. That's separate from NVEC in all of Nvidia's GPU (from what I understand - may be some excpetions).

PMSL

Hell yeah the GPU architecture which is named after me is getting another hurrah.

inb4 sold out

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Seems like it's useful for a video out? I don't know anyone who buys these for performance reasons.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

The GPU is already sold out. Intel bought the majority of them so that you use Intel Xe graphics, and the rest by miners for mining lower valued crypo currency. Scalpers took note and ordered the rest of the year production. The cheapest GT1010 is now 800$

The good news is that you can now buy the GeForce 210 (1GB DDR2, yes) for only 182$ on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-VCGG2101XPB/dp/B003O2RXA6

These videos prove my point that as long as you can find a seller whom isn't a rip-off merchant and want to gaming and/or streaming, a GTX 650ti (even the models without auxiliary power) is a better choice. And if you can get a 750ti...

GT 1030 GDDR5 vs GTX 650ti
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3337-ebay-scam-gtx-1050-1gb-gpu-benchmarked

GT 1030 both versions vs Vega 2400G and 750ti (spoilers, it gets rekt):

https://www.techspot.com/review/1658-geforce-gt-1030-abomination/

You would be better off with a GT 1030 that only used system RAM than the DDR4 GT 1030...that will be flogged by a GDDR5 GT 1010.

PMSL

21 hours ago, Kisai said:

Workstations are far more likely to have a Quadro RTX in it.

Only if they have any need for GPU capabilities. You're thinking of a "workstation" as some all-powerful monster system that can crush any task thrown at it. Which is often how we see them in the enthusiast space, but isn't what they are in the real world.

Not every "workstation" has a Quadro, nor does every "workstation" have a 16-core monster CPU. Intel still make 4c/4t i5-equivalent Xeons, because the security features and ECC memory support are very important to many companies. And these i5-equivalent Xeons don't have iGPUs, so Dave in finance - who doesn't need any significant compute power, but needs a Xeon for security reasons - gets the cheapest GPU around, because all he really needs is a display output. These sorts of systems are incredibly common, and their CPUs are classed and labelled as "workstation" CPUs. They just use a more general definition of workstation than we're used to seeing in the enthusiast space.

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB