COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
2 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Does the Pfizer vaccine contain egg protein? I though the reason it had to be kept at -80c was because they used some brand new technique to create it?

From the articles I've read, it's because of how they made the vaccine in relation to how our body detects the virus (modRNA), but it's still containing proteins that can trigger allergic reactions in people allergic to eggs and other foods.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

25 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

I'm a bit confused by that, I've seen it happened, but as far as I know, it's similar with the flu vaccine (they contain egg proteins) ... not sure why they thought it would be fine with this vaccine.

The Moderna vaccine tmk is egg-free.

Not Covid news direct but probably Covid had a bearing on this. It seems that down in Alabama the Amazon warehouse is trying to Unionize. The NLRB is involved and they could vote some time in January for Unionization. Im surprised it was a warehouse in the Deep South that is doing this. However with the strain Amazon workers have been under, I'm not surprised by them wanting a union. I linked the news video on YouTube. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

16 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Does the Pfizer vaccine contain egg protein? I though the reason it had to be kept at -80c was because they used some brand new technique to create it?

The Pfizer as well as the Moderna vaccine is egg free, hence even crazy vegans will have nothing to worry. The reason why it needs to be stored in such low temperature is because mRNA easily denatures. 

17 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Some of the prominent scientists involved in the creation of the Oxford vaccine seem to be indicating a belief that COVID is probably going to end up being a seasonal disease much like the flu.

It will be. Just like how the 1918 Spanish flu infected 500 million people ended up resolved and became a seasonal virus, same goes with the coronavirus. It will be an annual thing requiring an annual shot. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

22 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Here in the UK we've been hearing about people who have suffered from severe allergies having reactions to the Pfizer vaccine to the point the government have advised that anybody with any history of allergies should not receive the jab.

Allergic reactions to vaccines are uncommon (in terms of the number of people that have them), but common (in the sense that those people regularly have reactions to vaccines). I don’t think the reactions should be that concerning, people don’t generally die from allergic reactions if they have medical personnel around them (so they just need to be careful where they administer). 

For the first time since all this began I having genuine concerns & worries. A week ago we're told about a new mutation that is spreading, 3 days ago we're told that this new mutation could potentially be 70% more effective at spreading and most of the South of England are put into full lockdown as a consequence then today they announce they've detected another mutation that's been imported from South Africa and if the SA Science is correct could be even more contagious than our own mutated variant.

So now we potentially have 2 new wildly contagious variants confirmed, what happens if they meet? Do they form a super mutation that's vaccine resistant and ends up killing potentially millions in the UK alone? Are we heading for another Spanish Flu where literally hundreds of millions die around the world?

I asked my partner who is a microbiologist about this, he said that viruses don’t share mutations, the only thing that’ll happen is the virus’ “off-spring” will have the same mutation (unless they mutate again). Virus mutation is also random, so the chance they become resistant is entirely unrelated. 
My understanding is also that unless the spike protein mutates (the way the virus gets inside our cells), the vaccines should remain effective. The issue with mutations that effect the spike is that generally they’ll render the virus inert, since it won’t be able to access our cells (only so many “keys” for our cell “locks”). 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Are you a medical professional? Genuine question BTW, I'm asking because I would guess that you probably are.

I'm not a medical professional, and I always suggest people consult their GP for advice regarding medicines and interventions. GPs have appropriate medical history and can advise accordingly. I am a clinical immunologist, so I have a greater knowledge of vaccines, the clinical trial process etc. I am currently researching colorectal cancer. (However I have also been involved in two laboratories in NZ researching COVID-19, and developing our vaccine response, more discussion than collaboration however!). 

Here in the UK we've been hearing about people who have suffered from severe allergies having reactions to the Pfizer vaccine to the point the government have advised that anybody with any history of allergies should not receive the jab.

A vaccine stimulates the immune system to react to a particular antigen included in the vaccine, within a particular vector. All of these componenets, the antigen, adjuvant (stimulator of the immune system) and vector can react with the immune system in a particular way. We hope to create a similar response to when an individual is infected with a pathogen. 

I'm not sure on what they used for the Pfizer vaccine, however the whole S-protein of the COVID-19 can create Th2 immunopathologies leading to lung damage, the N protein can also cause these Th2 pathologies. A Th2 response is what we call the response when Th2 effector cells are recruited, and is typicial of an allergic or parasitic response. Most covid-19 vaccines have gotten around this by using a recombinant RBD-terminal of the S-protein, instead of a complete/part of the S-protein. There still may be a small Th2 response. 

Additionally, some adjuvants, including alum, may cause a minor Th2 response. Both of these reactions are dependant on the person, so someone with a history of allergic reactions, including atopy, eczema, asthma, should consult their doctor before receiving the vaccine. 

That said, these were a few cases among tens of thousands. I wouldn't worry. And if you choose not to get the vaccine, that is fine - herd immunity is dependent on vaccine effectiveness and the R-number. I believe in the UK it is around 1.18 (please correct me if I'm wrong), and with a vaccine effectiveness of >90%, we would only need to vaccinate 60-70% of the population to reach herd immunity. Although I believe everyone that can, should be immunised. 

For the first time since all this began I having genuine concerns & worries. A week ago we're told about a new mutation that is spreading, 3 days ago we're told that this new mutation could potentially be 70% more effective at spreading and most of the South of England are put into full lockdown as a consequence then today they announce they've detected another mutation that's been imported from South Africa and if the SA Science is correct could be even more contagious than our own mutated variant.

It's not more contagious. Viruses have an extremely high mutation rate. What I suspect has occurred is the S-protein has mutated to a higher affinity for the ACE2 receptor. This does not mean it is more transmissible, and does not affect the vaccine effectiveness. None of this higher transmissibility has been confirmed to my knowledge, so I think for now, just do the usual mask wearing, social distancing etc. I strongly dislike the media so far of scaremongering - this higher transmissibility may simply be a result of prevalence of the strain, and we can only see epidemiological evidence (which is perfectly fine, but we don't know if the strain is more contagious, it is simply a little different). 

So now we potentially have 2 new wildly contagious variants confirmed, what happens if they meet? Do they form a super mutation that's vaccine resistant and ends up killing potentially millions in the UK alone? Are we heading for another Spanish Flu where literally hundreds of millions die around the world?

This is not a new species. You might have have heard of the term 'antigenic shift'. This occurs in influenza viruses as a result of zoonotic transmission and leads to recombination of the viral fragments within a cell. For instance, swine flu and human flu can both infect a pig, the viruses can combine and a new novel strain will develop. Because our immune systems have not recognised a strain as similar, the virus can evade the immune system for longer. 

However, coronaviruses do not undergo antigenic shift. In fact they are a relatively conserved virus - the original SARS back in 2003 is 87.5% similar in terms of genome sequence. 

To add, there are many strains of COVID-19 now due to locality. COVID itself isn't super contagious - I believe Influenza and measles are definitely still more contagious, however because COVID-19 is more novel to our immune systems, its impact is more severe, and the more a virus persists, the longer it can spread, so it is more prevalent. 

I think the biggest kick in the nuts is we thought we had started the fight back and then we're told that actually everything we achieved in 2020 might all be for nothing.

Some of the prominent scientists involved in the creation of the Oxford vaccine seem to be indicating a belief that COVID is probably going to end up being a seasonal disease much like the flu.

Coronaviruses are seasonal, and an individual may develop a severe infection. It is more akin to the 'common cold', where pathology may be cause by a range of viruses, although more benign. We don't need a vaccine for them, simply because they are not severe enough. 

Rest assured, more conserved regions are always targeted with a vaccine, and these vaccines should prove effective against the new strain. Even if a vaccine isn't fully effective, it usually halts transmission of the disease. We take this into account as people have very different immune systems - in their HLA genes. HLA is the molecule on antigen-presenting cells, and most cells, that recognise a pathogen. We call this HLA heterogeneity, and we target a vaccine to be as effective in most/all HLA haplotypes, and usually if it does not pertain immunity to a particular haplotypes, it will prevent transmission via activation of the immune system. 

TL:DR

1) I'm not a medical professional, I am an immunologist in a research role. 

2) Some vaccines can enhance an allergic-type reaction, however special precautions ensure these are minimal. People are very different. Consult your doctor.
3) Don't worry. Media is full of shit, we really don't know if this new strain is more transmissible or more prevalent. 
4) 2020 ends soon, rest assured there will not be any super-COVID-19. 

5) I wouldn't think COVID will end up as a seasonal virus, until we have further prospective evidence. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

Moderna vaccine was approved in Canada and we received the first shipment already ;

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/moderna-vaccine-arrives-canada-1.5854649

Edited by wkdpaul

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 12/24/2020 at 10:33 PM, PhantomJaguar77 said:

Thought they had pretty strong restrictions in place? 

34 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They do, but California also has a large population and warm weather that encourages the not-so-smart to mingle. And as we've seen, lockdowns don't stop people from hosting house parties or otherwise ignoring rules for personal meetups.

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

I know people personally who don’t give a damn about said restrictions. And that’s only in my own social circle. Recent numbers mean a lot more don’t care also. 

CPU: i7 9700K GPU: MSI RTX 2080 SUPER VENTUS Motherboard: ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming 4 RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG GAMMIX D10 3000MHz Storage: ADATA SU630 480GB + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe 1TB + WD Blue 1TB PSU: HighPower 80+ Gold 650W Case: Slate MR Mirror Finish OS: Windows 11 Pro Monitor: Dell S2716DGR 27" Mouse: Logitech G300s Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Cherry MX Brown Speakers: Bose Companion 2 Series III Headset: HyperX Cloud Revolver Microphone: Razer Seiren X

On 12/26/2020 at 6:48 AM, Donut417 said:

On paper, very little is supposed to actually be open. In practice, it’s pretty much business as usual here. Lockdowns have neither public nor law enforcement support, and so are effectively neutered. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Theorizing, if even more infectious strain emerges - could a virus or a disese bring all of the civilization to the knees?

I think either that or a supervolcano will end the current worldwide civilization.

I edit my posts more often than not

On 12/24/2020 at 10:30 AM, RorzNZ said:

Snippity 

Outside the SARS-COV-2 line, would mRNA vaccines prove effective against Influenza and Rhinoviruses? The latter has many serotypes that traditional vaccines are unable to cover, though I’m curious if the newer vaccines can overcome this obstacle. 

My eyes see the past…

15 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

On paper, very little is supposed to actually be open. In practice, it’s pretty much business as usual here. Lockdowns have neither public nor law enforcement support, and so are effectively neutered. 

Here in Michigan they have a pretty decent strategy for bars and restaurants not following the rules. They revoke their Liquor licenses. Because the penally for selling booze without a license is pretty steep. 

7 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Here in Michigan they have a pretty decent strategy for bars and restaurants not following the rules. They revoke their Liquor licenses. Because the penally for selling booze without a license is pretty steep. 

I wonder if simply suspending all liquor licenses within the State during the course of “Lockdown” would’ve gotten more cooperation (with a portion of the license costs refunded accordingly)? 

My eyes see the past…

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

I wonder if simply suspending all liquor licenses within the State during the course of “Lockdown” would’ve gotten more cooperation (with a portion of the license costs refunded accordingly)? 

Probably not. But taking the license away and not giving it back will make business think twice. 

95% proof vaccination still leaves the option to infect older people with fatal COVID infection?

2 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

95% proof vaccination still leaves the option to infect older people with fatal COVID infection?

Can you elaborate as to what you're asking?

The "95%" thing means that 95% of people who get the vaccine get immunity. The other 5% usually still retain a stronger protection to fighting off the disease, so even if you're in that 5%, you're still better off then not.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Can you elaborate as to what you're asking?

The "95%" thing means that 95% of people who get the vaccine get immunity. The other 5% usually still retain a stronger protection to fighting off the disease, so even if you're in that 5%, you're still better off then not.

The chance of 5% not "successfully"  vaccinated "regular people" would still bring the virus to older people who are vulnrable?

Or what the 5% of unsuccessful vaccination means? Just vaccinated, but won't carry the virus if affected?

1 minute ago, Tan3l6 said:

The chance of 5% not "successfully"  vaccinated "regular people" would still bring the virus to older people who are vulnrable?

Or what the 5% of unsuccessful vaccination means? Just vaccinated, but won't carry the virus if affected?

Read what you quoted - the 5% of people get reduced protection but not immunity. Yes it means they could pass on the infection to others, but they will recover much faster (thus limiting the window of possible spread to others).

This is why vaccinating the elderly is among the top priority for most countries. Better to get most of them immune, and the remaining with better protection than nothing right away, so less chances of them dying.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Outside the SARS-COV-2 line, would mRNA vaccines prove effective against Influenza and Rhinoviruses? The latter has many serotypes that traditional vaccines are unable to cover, though I’m curious if the newer vaccines can overcome this obstacle. 

I could see an mRNA vaccine against Influenza because we have well-described regions to target for a vaccine (hemagglutinin and neuroaminidase). However as we have a routine process for creating a seasonal flu vaccine, we would probably not see any funding for one. Mass production and funding are the primary drivers for these novel ideas. Without COVID I doubt we would see a real mRNA vaccine. 

I'm not sure of any vaccines against Rhinoviruses, as they cause the common cold - not really a problem regarding severity. Antivirals that target the viral replication seem to work well for severe cases. 

The regional stay-at-home order for SoCal was set to expire this Monday but might be extended well into 2021 with no set end date. 

In Los Angeles County, the nation’s most populous, county estimates show that about 1 in 95 people are contagious with the virus. Officials estimate one person dies every 10 minutes from COVID-19 in the county.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/politics/california-hospitals-brace-for-holiday-coronavirus-cases/2481163/

15 minutes ago, PhantomJaguar77 said:

The regional stay-at-home order for SoCal was set to expire this Monday but might be extended well into 2021 with no set end date. 

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/politics/california-hospitals-brace-for-holiday-coronavirus-cases/2481163/

Wait, they estimate one person dies of COVID every 10 minutes, in one county in California? Over 140 people are dying from COVID every day just in Los Angeles County? To call that staggering is an understatement, how did it get so bad there?

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1