COVID-19 - READ THE RULES BEFORE REPLYING

WkdPaul
6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Me, taking some vitamins to supplement some vitamin D because of staying indoors:

I do take some supplements, but way under the recommended dosage

I also take multi vitamins, only for the vitamin D and the Zinc. And same as you, it's under the recommended dosage (daily vitamins, but I take it once every 2-3 days).

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

By the way, how effective are surgical mask against cov cov? Since I feel like when I breathe in, the air I breathe is majorly from the open gap beside my nose anyways

Studies I can find forces air and particles through the mask material, but not while wearing it as normal

As others have said, it's effective against droplets propagation from the person wearing it, not against you getting infected. And while not perfect, it's better than nothing ... though, sometimes nothing is not much different than some masks sold out there !!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Mom's BF tested positive, he started having symptoms and went to get tested.

They're now in quarantine for 14 days and my mom is waiting for her test result. 😞

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

They're now in quarantine for 14 days and my mom is waiting for her test result. 😞

Oh geez, hope it's mild and not severe

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Oh no. All the best for them ✊🏻

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

Oh geez, hope it's mild and not severe

Mild for now, they're both over 65, and ironically, he's working part-time as a security guard for COVID testing drive-through ...

1 minute ago, Benji said:

Whoops!

He's not patient facing, when he was assigned there, he specifically told his supervisor he needed to be away from patients. His argument was pretty simple ; he didn't want to risk getting COVID, and he didn't need the job (he's retired and only works 2-3 days a week out of boredom).

So he's not sure how he got infected, could be from a visit at the grocery store, or one of the staff at the testing site (he's not patient facing, but others were, for now he's the only one at that site to test positive and I'm not sure what is the testing schedule the staff is under).

This is what my teacher said:
Rule #1: WEAR YOUR FRICKEN MASK
Rule #2: Refer to rule #1

Rule #3: Refer to rule #1

etc.

elephants

3 minutes ago, Benji said:

*snip*

This 1000%

It's infuriating, for the last few months, people have gotten complacent with the masks and aren't keeping their distances anymore. Every time I go to the grocery, I either have to move away from someone, or I have to tell someone to backup (second one mostly in line ups). Wear your mask AND keep your distance.

23 minutes ago, Benji said:

And when your teacher didn't also tell you that the most important thing is not just to wear a mask, but to keep distance, he's probably not the brightest lightbulb. The mask isn't there to protect you. For some reason, it's always "wear your masks, wear your masks", but who talks about keeping the distance anymore? For some reason nobody since they think about making FFP2 masks mandatory nationwide during grocery shopping (Bavaria already enforced that).

He mentioned other things too.

This was the highlight.

He also said "keep 7 feet distance, if anyone coughs pretend they have the plague, etc."

elephants

2 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

One of my friends is in isolation. She works at a larger Grocery retailer, and one of her coworkers on the same shift tested positive. They were asymptomatic so my friend is probably fine, but she's getting tested anyway.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Finally getting back under control up here. Schools in Anchorage are opening tomorrow. Safe to say at this point we didn't get a big spike from people being dumb for the holidays.

Spoiler

H25QQT2ALRAJFMRKETNYRTLKLI.jpg

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

43 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Finally getting back under control up here. Schools in Anchorage are opening tomorrow. Safe to say at this point we didn't get a big spike from people being dumb for the holidays.

Hide contents

H25QQT2ALRAJFMRKETNYRTLKLI.jpg

What in god's name are the data points along the bottom?

A M J J A S O N D J?

I assume they're supposed to be days or weeks or something but I'm very curious what they actually mean.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

What in god's name are the data points along the bottom?

A M J J A S O N D J?

I assume they're supposed to be days or weeks or something but I'm very curious what they actually mean.

Months. It's weird because it starts when we had our first cases up here and not in January. April, May, June, July, etc. It's hard to find many sources up here, but if you're curious on what all ADN(our main newspaper) has.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021/01/18/tracking-covid-19-in-alaska-153-new-cases-reported-monday-no-new-deaths/

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

Months. It's weird because it starts when we had our first cases up here and not in January. April, May, June, July, etc. It's hard to find many sources up here, but if you're curious on what all ADN(our main newspaper) has.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021/01/18/tracking-covid-19-in-alaska-153-new-cases-reported-monday-no-new-deaths/

Ahh months - yes that makes sense - still, oddly laid out 😛

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Ahh months - yes that makes sense - still, oddly laid out 😛

Not the weirdest thing they've done here. There's an intersection where we drive on the UK side of the road.

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Healthcare workers? Nope ... Professional athletes? Of course, because, you know, the amount of tax they pay means they deserve preferential treatment ... WTF of a stupid reason is that. Fuck him and anyone that think it's a good reason.

14 hours ago, Voluspa said:

Not the weirdest thing they've done here. There's an intersection where we drive on the UK side of the road.

Bah! We've had one of those for like 3 years now. >_> Annoying..

Anyway, on the topic of COVID, I am confirmed to get my first shot on Saturday. I'm stoked, but... I hope I don't have a negative reaction to the shot itself. >_>

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

4 hours ago, Sarra said:

Bah! We've had one of those for like 3 years now. >_> Annoying..

Anyway, on the topic of COVID, I am confirmed to get my first shot on Saturday. I'm stoked, but... I hope I don't have a negative reaction to the shot itself. >_>

Have you had any reactions to previous vaccinations (aside from a sore area on the injection site)?

On 1/19/2021 at 10:37 AM, wkdpaul said:

My mom got her result this morning, she's also positive, but has absolutely no symptoms, her BF has mild fever and lost taste and smell but is otherwise ok, thankfully, since they're both at risk because of their age.

Are people who have previously contracted the virus still going to be receiving the vaccine? I'm assuming that anyone who has recovered from the virus and now tests negative would have built up a natural immune response, so would a vaccine provide any additional benefit or would it just be a waste of a shot that could have gone to someone else who needed it?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

*snip*

That's actually a very good question, my instinct would be that they don't need the vaccine, but I've not seen any official position on that either way. So it's really unclear for now.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Have you had any reactions to previous vaccinations (aside from a sore area on the injection site)?

I got the flu shot in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2019. In 2015, 2017, and 2019, it gave me the worst flu I've had each time. I hadn't had a serious flu since 2005.

Other than that, I've never had a bad reaction to a vaccine. But, I also wasn't allergic to gluten or diary then, and I might have other allergies now that I didn't before... Or didn't know about before.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Are people who have previously contracted the virus still going to be receiving the vaccine? I'm assuming that anyone who has recovered from the virus and now tests negative would have built up a natural immune response, so would a vaccine provide any additional benefit or would it just be a waste of a shot that could have gone to someone else who needed it?

In my county we are recommending that people who have recovered from COVID still get a vaccination because we've only been seeing about 90 days of immunity after an infection. "Yes. Due to the severe health risks associated with COVID-19 and the fact that reinfection with COVID-19 is possible, you should be vaccinated regardless of whether you already had COVID-19 infection.", that's pulled directly from my county public health website. Obviously it varies by county, state, province, or country.