Hanging on for dear life - Windows 7 won't let you shut it down

rcmaehl

Sources:
ZDNet (quote source)

Bleeping Computer (MS response source)

Summary:
A bug of unknown origin is preventing users from shutting down Windows 7. I guess Windows 7 doesn't want you to leave.

Media:
windows-7-bug.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

A weird bug of unknown origins has been hitting Windows 7 computers...according to multiple reports. Windows 7 users have been reporting that they are receiving a popup message that reads "You don't have permission to shut down this computer". The cause of the bug remains unknown at the time of writing. The good news is that they've found at least least one temporary workaround and one unofficial fix to resolve the issue.

Step 1: Create another admin account.
Step 2: Log into that account (or another admin account that was already on the system).
Step 3: Log back into the default admin account.
Step 4: Shut down or reboot normally.

A more permanent way to go around this bug has been put forward by several users on Reddit and by IT support firm Quick Heal.

Step 1: Press Windows+R to open the Run window.
Step 2: Type gpedit.msc and press Enter.
Step 3: In the Group Policy Editor window go to: Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options.
Step 4: In the right panel of the Security Options option,search and double-click on "User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode."
Step 5: In the new window, select Enable.
Step 6: Reopen the Run window, but this time type "gpupdate /force" and press Enter. This will update all group policies.
Step 7: Restart or shut down your system normally.

Windows 7 reached official end of life (EOL) on January 14, 2020 and is not scheduled to receive new fixes. Last month, Microsoft made an exception to this rule when it provided a fix for a bug that broke wallpaper display. Microsoft will most likely need to make a another exception and deliver a second post-EOL update pretty soon.

BleepingComputer asked a Microsoft spokesperson for comment and was told that they are investigating the issue. “We are aware of some Windows 7 customers reporting that they are unable to shut down without first logging off and are actively investigating”, a Microsoft spokesperson told BleepingComputer.

My Thoughts:

Hmmm, I've seen this issue on Windows 10 where normal users were unable to open built in Microsoft UWP Apps, but never on Windows 7, and never in regards to shutting down a computer. Hopefully Microsoft will be releasing a patch for this but I'd love to see them say no because Windows 7 is EoL. Regardless, what an interesting bug.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

3 minutes ago, greenmax said:

Just turn the pc off with the button on the case or the psu switch.

Image result for your pc was shut down incorrectly

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I have another one that actually works non-destructively; I switched to Linux Mint.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

How long until people claim "MS did this on purpose to force upgrades"?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a bug or exploit from some other software that wasn't tested on 7.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a bug or exploit from some other software that wasn't tested on 7.

And I wouldn't put it past MS to actually have done it on purpose although it isn't likely.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

What about "shutdown /s /t 0"?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

Honestly no-one should be surprised if it turns out it was intentional..... (its well within their MO)

Edited by jagdtigger

Considering that W7 no longer has support I think people should be forced to update or switch to something that has support for their own good.

18 minutes ago, Beskamir said:

Considering that W7 no longer has support I think people should be forced to update or switch to something that has support for their own good.

I don't care about their own good, but if their systems become repositories for bots further messing up the internet for the rest of us then I care. And yes, windows 7 pc's will now be at a higher risk of bot infection due to the fact it is no longer maintained at a domestic level. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

It seems a bit odd that en masse Computers suddenly enable a group policy setting. TBH this sounds more like someone testing an exploit than anything else.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I don't care about their own good, but if their systems become repositories for bots further messing up the internet for the rest of us then I care. And yes, windows 7 pc's will now be at a higher risk of bot infection due to the fact it is no longer maintained at a domestic level. 

Not to mention Windows 10 really isn't bad at all these days. Early on, sure it had tons of really dumb shit, but today, it's far beyond reliability of any other Windows. Back in WinXP, Vista and Win7 days I basically had to reinstall OS clean pretty much ever yhalf a year coz there was always some dumb shit breaking for no logical reason. Windows 10, I now have it installed on my PC for months and it just works. No issues, no weird bizarre problems. And I keep it fully updated with every update. Hell, the "forced" updating isn't even annoying and a lot of big updates now just hang there and wait for you to manually confirm them. They also solved stupid forced driver installs which don't seem to annoy me anymore. So, all in all, Win10 really matured and is a solid OS that I actually really like using.

40 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It seems a bit odd that en masse Computers suddenly enable a group policy setting. TBH this sounds more like someone testing an exploit than anything else.

Getting Sasser/MSBlast vibes all over again :D

Here’s me running win 7 cause I’m too lazy to upgrade lol. The days where I played around and excessively fine tuned my systems are kinda over. Now I just want to switch it on for a couple games and then forget about it :/

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

Is your router updated? Is your car? Your wifi adapter? Your phone? Your smart watch/bluetooth headphones/mouse/etc? As I bet we could find an exploit on any or all of them you have not patched. But fine, say other people need to stop using their products or buy new ones. "I'm alright Jack" right?

3 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Or the exact thing Windows 10 updates do? ;)

9 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Honestly no-one should be surprised if it turns out it was intentional..... (its well within their MO)

I think Hanlon's Razor applies: never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

I'd say either Microsoft left a serious bug in Windows 7, or a recently updated third-party app is playing havoc.

26 minutes ago, Commodus said:

I think Hanlon's Razor applies: never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

I would agree if this werent their umpteenth "stupid mistake" to make ppl ditch w7....

"I can't let you do that Dave" 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

And once again, Microsoft has to release a free update lol. Maybe it's there way of saying "upgrade to Windows 10, it's better."

--Dominik W

(What else do you need, this is just a signature, plus I have them disabled 😅)

12 minutes ago, Dominik W. said:

And once again, Microsoft has to release a free update lol. Maybe it's there way of saying "upgrade to Windows 10, it's better."

With their non-existent internal testing it really isnt.....