corona virus

Letgomyleghoe
Go to solution Solved by Letgomyleghoe,

ATTENTION: there is a covid 19 F@H event happening, you can find it HERE.

this is a good opportunity to help with research!

Message added by SansVarnic

Due to the nature of this topic, please keep cool heads and conversation On Topic.

Intentional Derailing, Political Rhetoric, or Arguing will result in removal of comments/replies and warnings issued.

The "No politics" rule will be enforced even harder. This will be last warning you get. If someone posts any political rhetoric (about parties, ideology, policy etc.), you will receive PM from moderator telling to step off the thread. As forum does not have functionality to do it better ways. If you continue to post ANYTHING after receiving PM, you will get warnings for not following staff instructions.

Posting news about what governments in your parts of world do in order to act on this crisis is fine, but will be looked case-by-case. (Updated 03/19/2020)

Remember the core values of this forum;

• Ensure a friendly atmosphere to our visitors and forum members.
  • Encourage the freedom of expression and exchange of information in a mature and responsible manner.
  • "Don't be a dick" - Wil Wheaton.
  • "Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted.
  • Remember your audience; both present and future.

26 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

More culturism than anything. They have a bunch of shameful cultural practices, which are at cause here.

Please!!!  As if the righteous white culture was without stain... ?

16 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Please!!!  As if the righteous white culture was without stain... ?

Stop making everything about race, I mentioned culture; Koreans and Japanese don't have that problematic eating or medicine habits. Don't think even the Neanderthals had those wildlife markets. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

This Movie was made during the Avian Flu Crisis.  

The South Korea government funded this movie.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

2 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Plus, frankly, we've been lucky that an outbreak of one of the deadlier viruses hasn't happened in modern times.

Influenza, for example, varies per it's lethality. Some variants are pretty harmless with proper treatment and modern medicine (seasonal Flu). Some variants can wipe out millions of people if not properly quarantined.

Speaking of viruses, my Fiancee and I watched 1995's Outbreak last night. Still a goddamn awesome movie. There are a lot of technical inaccuracies (such as CDC scientists shaking hands when near an infection zone - in real life they "bump" elbows), but it's still a great story and really holds up well still.

Outbreak was an amazing movie, glad you watched it.

Ryzen 3600 4.33ghz . CM Hyper 212 Turbo. MSI X470 Gaming Plus Max. Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 3200 @ 3200 CL 15 (OC). Powercolor RX 5700XT Red Dragon. FD Meshify S2. Crucial P1 M.2 1TB. Corsair Vengeance 650W 80+ Silver.

Core 2 Duo 3.4ghz . WenjuFeng cooler . ASUS P5G41C-M LX . Crucial 1066mhz 3GB DDR2 . Gainward Golden Sample HD 4850 . Coolermaster Elite 430 . Seagate 160GB IDE 7200RPM . BeQuiet System Power 9 400w 80+ Bronze

Based on the figures on the OP, at 2000 cases and 50 deaths thats a rather modest 2.5% mortality rate. While not great, its not the devastating virus some media outlets are portraying it as.

Another set of figures I found had 7711 cases and 170 deaths, still 2.2% mortality.

Even if the whole world was infected and that mortality rate stayed true at 2.5% ..the worst we would see is 1.875 million deaths and world population reduced down to 2014 levels. ~ 7.3 billion.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

31 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Stop making everything about race, I mentioned culture; Koreans and Japanese don't have that problematic eating or medicine habits. Don't think even the Neanderthals had those wildlife markets. 

Let's put things straight please, would you?  I'm talking about white CULTURE... You're talking about race, I'm not!

If you want to talk about disgusting things, let's talk about rat steaks and rats "delicious" kebab in Amsterdam. A delicacy for them, wanna try eating rat? O_o
Each culture has things that other culture will find distateful, disgusting, etc.

You are the one who talked about " a bunch of shameful cultural practices ".

So tell me... What is the "shameful cultural practice" at hand which caused "mad cow"? As I've said, we have our own skelettons too. Don't judge there.

19 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Let's put things straight please, would you?  I'm talking about white CULTURE... You're talking about race, I'm not!

If you want to talk about disgusting things, let's talk about rat steaks and rats "delicious" kebab in Amsterdam. A delicacy for them, wanna try eating rat? O_o
Each culture has things that other culture will find distateful, disgusting, etc.

So tell me... What is the "shameful cultural practice" at hand which caused "mad cow"? As I've said, we have our own skelettons too. Don't judge there.

Being part Korean I know about the exotic meats from China, N.Korea/S.Korea, and Japan.  However it's best to avoid to eat those unless you want to risk your health.  

Also farmed Fish and Seafood isn't safe as well.  Such as Swaii and Tilapia.  Even farmed Salmon is unsafe.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

3 hours ago, mr moose said:

Plague still kills about 8 American's a year and about 340 in the Congo.   The plague didn't go away we just learnt how to treat it better.  The difference between coronavirus and the plague is that the plague is bacterial infection (treatable with antibiotics) while the others are a virus.  When people say "wasn't virus X supposed to wipe us out"  what they are saying is basically part due to falling for media sensationalism (which @RorzNZ tried to explain at the start of this thread), and also part due the fact that authorities have to work on worst case scenario,  even though every year we get better at dealing with it so each outbreak isn't quite the crisis it first looked like.

Yeah I was bashing on the media part. I get it's a large problem at hand but you get news outlets saying which bunker invest in and write your wills

ƆԀ S₱▓Ɇ▓cs: i7 6ʇɥפᴉƎ00K (4.4ghz), Asus DeLuxe X99A II, GT҉X҉1҉0҉8҉0 Zotac Amp ExTrꍟꎭe),Si6F4Gb D???????r PlatinUm, EVGA G2 Sǝʌǝᘉ5ᙣᙍᖇᓎᙎᗅᖶt, Phanteks Enthoo Primo, 3TB WD Black, 500gb 850 Evo, H100iGeeTeeX, Windows 10, K70 R̸̢̡̭͍͕̱̭̟̩̀̀̃́̃͒̈́̈́͑̑́̆͘͜ͅG̶̦̬͊́B̸͈̝̖͗̈́, G502, HyperX Cloud 2s, Asus MX34. פN∩SW∀S 960 EVO

Just keeping this here as a backup 9̵̨̢̨̧̧̡̧̡̧̡̧̡̡̢̢̡̢̧̡̢̡̡̢̧̛̛̛̛̛̛̱̖͈̠̝̯̹͉̝̞̩̠̹̺̰̺̲̳͈̞̻̜̫̹̱̗̣͙̻̘͎̲̝͙͍͔̯̲̟̞͚̖̘͉̭̰̣͎͕̼̼̜̼͕͎̣͇͓͓͎̼̺̯͈̤̝͖̩̭͍̣̱̞̬̺̯̼̤̲͎̖̠̟͍̘̭͔̟̗̙̗̗̤̦͍̫̬͔̦̳̗̳͔̞̼̝͍̝͈̻͇̭̠͈̳͍̫̮̥̭͍͔͈̠̹̼̬̰͈̤͚̖̯͍͉͖̥̹̺͕̲̥̤̺̹̹̪̺̺̭͕͓̟̳̹͍̖͎̣̫͓͍͈͕̳̹̙̰͉͙̝̜̠̥̝̲̮̬͕̰̹̳͕̰̲̣̯̫̮͙̹̮͙̮̝̣͇̺̺͇̺̺͈̳̜̣̙̻̣̜̻̦͚̹̩͓͚̖͍̥̟͍͎̦͙̫̜͔̭̥͈̬̝̺̩͙͙͉̻̰̬̗̣͖̦͎̥̜̬̹͓͈͙̤̜̗͔̩̖̳̫̑̀̂̽̈́̈́̿͒̿̋̊͌̾̄̄̒̌͐̽̿̊͑̑̆͗̈̎̄͒̑̋͛̑͑̂͑̀͐̀͑̓͊̇͆̿͑͛͛͆́͆̓̿̇̀̓͑͆͂̓̾̏͊̀̇̍̃́̒̎̀̒̄̓̒̐̑̊̏̌̽̓͂͋̓̐̓͊̌͋̀̐̇̌̓̔͊̈̇́̏͒̋͊̓̆̋̈̀̌̔͆͑̈̐̈̍̀̉̋̈́͊̽͂̿͌͊̆̾̉͐̿̓̄̾͑̈́͗͗̂̂́̇͂̀̈́́̽̈́̓̓͂̽̓̀̄͌̐̔̄̄͒͌̈́̅̉͊̂͒̀̈́̌͂̽̀̑̏̽̀͑̐̐͋̀̀͋̓̅͋͗̍́͗̈́̆̏̇͊̌̏̔̑̐̈́͑̎͑͆̏̎́̑̍̏̒̌̊͘͘̚̕̚̕̕̚̕̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͠͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅ8̵̨̛̛̛̛̮͍͕̥͉̦̥̱̞̜̫̘̤̖̬͍͇͓̜̻̪̤̣̣̹̑͑̏̈́̐̐́̎͒̔͒̌̑̓̆̓͑̉̈́́͋̌͋͐͛͋̃̍̽̊͗͋͊̂̅͊͑́͋͛̉̏̓͌̾̈́̀͛͊̾͑̌̀̀̌̓̏̑́̄̉̌͂́͛̋͊̄͐͊̈́̀̌̆̎̿̓̔̍̎̀̍̚̕̕͘͘͘̕̚͝͝͠͠͠0̶̡̡̡̢̨̨͕̠̠͉̺̻̯̱̘͇̥͎͖̯͕̖̬̭͔̪̪͎̺̠̤̬̬̤̣̭̣͍̥̱̘̳̣̤͚̭̥͚̦͙̱̦͕̼͖͙͕͇̭͓͉͎̹̣̣͕̜͍͖̳̭͕̼̳̖̩͍͔̱̙̠̝̺̰̦̱̿̄̀͐͜͜ͅͅt̶̡̨̡̨̧̢̧̢̨̧̧̧̧̢̡̨̨̢̨̢̧̢̛̛̛̛̛̠͍̞̮͇̪͉̩̗̗͖̫͉͎͓̮̣̘̫͔̘̬̮̙̯̣͕͓̲̣͓͓̣̹̟͈̱͚̘̼̙̖̖̼̙̜̝͙̣̠̪̲̞̖̠̯̖̠̜̱͉̲̺͙̤̻̦̜͎̙̳̺̭̪̱͓̦̹̺͙̫̖̖̰̣͈͍̜̺̘͕̬̥͇̗̖̺̣̲̫̟̣̜̭̟̱̳̳̖͖͇̹̯̜̹͙̻̥̙͉͕̜͎͕̦͕̱͖͉̜̹̱̦͔͎̲̦͔̖̘̫̻̹̮̗̮̜̰͇̰͔̱͙̞̠͍͉͕̳͍̰̠̗̠̯̜̩͓̭̺̦̲̲͖̯̩̲̣̠͉̦̬͓̠̜̲͍̘͇̳̳͔̼̣͚̙͙͚͕̙̘̣̠͍̟̪̝̲͇͚̦̖͕̰̟̪͖̳̲͉͙̰̭̼̩̟̝̣̝̬̳͎̙̱͒̃̈͊̔͒͗̐̄̌͐͆̍͂̃̈́̾͗̅̐͒̓̆͛̂̾͋̍͂̂̄̇̿̈͌̅̈́̃̾̔̇̇̾̀͊͋̋̌̄͌͆͆̎̓̈́̾̊͊̇̌̔̈́̈́̀̐͊̊̍͑̊̈̓͑̀́̅̀̑̈́̽̃̽͛̇́̐̓̀͆̔̈̀̍̏̆̓̆͒̋́̋̍́̂̉͛̓̓̂̋̎́̒̏̈͋̃̽͆̓̀̔͑̈́̓͌͑̅̽́̐̍̉̑̓̈́͌̋̈́͂̊́͆͂̇̈́̔̃͌̅̈́͌͛̑̐̓̔̈́̀͊͛̐̾͐̔̾̈̃̈̄͑̓̋̇̉̉̚̕̚͘̕̚̚̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͠ͅͅͅͅͅi̵̢̧̢̧̡̧̢̢̧̢̢̢̡̡̡̧̧̡̡̧̛̛͈̺̲̫͕̞͓̥̖̭̜̫͉̻̗̭̖͔̮̠͇̩̹̱͈̗̭͈̤̠̮͙͇̲͙̰̳̹̲͙̜̟͚͎͓̦̫͚̻̟̰̣̲̺̦̫͓̖̯̝̬͉̯͓͈̫̭̜̱̞̹̪͔̤̜͙͓̗̗̻̟͎͇̺̘̯̲̝̫͚̰̹̫̗̳̣͙̮̱̲͕̺̠͉̫̖̟͖̦͉̟͈̭̣̹̱̖̗̺̘̦̠̯̲͔̘̱̣͙̩̻̰̠͓͙̰̺̠̖̟̗̖͉̞̣̥̝̤̫̫̜͕̻͉̺͚̣̝̥͇̭͎̖̦̙̲͈̲̠̹̼͎͕̩͓̖̥̘̱̜͙̹̝͔̭̣̮̗̞̩̣̬̯̜̻̯̩̮̩̹̻̯̬̖͂̈͂̒̇͗͑̐̌̎̑̽̑̈̈́͑̽́̊͋̿͊͋̅̐̈́͑̇̿̈́̌͌̊̅͂̎͆̏̓͂̈̿̏̃͑̏̓͆̔̋̎̕͘͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͠͠ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅZ̴̧̢̨̢̧̢̢̡̧̢̢̢̨̨̨̡̨̧̢̧̛̛̬̖͈̮̝̭̖͖̗̹̣̼̼̘̘̫̠̭̞͙͔͙̜̠̗̪̠̼̫̻͓̳̟̲̳̻̙̼͇̺͎̘̹̼͔̺̹̬̯̤̮̟͈̭̻͚̣̲͔͙̥͕̣̻̰͈̼̱̺̤̤͉̙̦̩̗͎̞͓̭̞̗͉̳̭̭̺̹̹̮͕̘̪̞̱̥͈̹̳͇̟̹̱̙͚̯̮̳̤͍̪̞̦̳̦͍̲̥̳͇̪̬̰̠͙͕̖̝̫̩̯̱̘͓͎̪͈̤̜͎̱̹̹̱̲̻͎̖̳͚̭̪̦̗̬͍̯̘̣̩̬͖̝̹̣̗̭͖̜͕̼̼̲̭͕͔̩͓̞̝͓͍̗̙̯͔̯̞̝̳̜̜͉̖̩͇̩̘̪̥̱͓̭͎͖̱̙̩̜͎̙͉̟͎͔̝̥͕͍͓̹̮̦̫͚̠̯͓̱͖͔͓̤͉̠͙̋͐̀͌̈́͆̾͆̑̔͂͒̀̊̀͋͑̂͊̅͐̿́̈́̐̀̏̋̃̄͆͒̈́̿̎́́̈̀̀͌̔͋͊̊̉̿͗͊͑̔͐̇͆͛̂̐͊̉̄̈́̄̐͂͂͒͑͗̓͑̓̾̑͋̒͐͑̾͂̎̋̃̽̂̅̇̿̍̈́́̄̍͂͑̏̐̾̎̆̉̾͂̽̈̆̔́͋͗̓̑̕͘̕͘͜͜͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͠͠͝ͅo̶̪͆́̀͂̂́̄̅͂̿͛̈́̿͊͗́͘͝t̴̡̨̧̨̧̡̧̨̡̢̧̢̡̨̛̪͈̣̭̺̱̪̹̺̣̬̖̣̻͈̞̙͇̩̻̫͈̝̭̟͎̻̟̻̝̱͔̝̼͍̞̼̣̘̤̯͓͉̖̠̤͔̜̙͚͓̻͓̬͓̻̜̯̱̖̳̱̗̠̝̥̩͓̗̪̙͓̖̠͎̗͎̱̮̯̮͙̩̫̹̹̖͙̙͖̻͈̙̻͇͔̙̣̱͔̜̣̭̱͈͕̠̹͙̹͇̻̼͎͍̥̘͙̘̤̜͎̟͖̹̦̺̤͍̣̼̻̱̲͎̗̹͉͙̪̞̻̹͚̰̻͈͈͊̈́̽̀̎̃̊́̈́̏̃̍̉̇̑̂̇̏̀͊̑̓͛̽͋̈́͆́̊͊̍͌̈́̓͊̌̿̂̾̐͑̓̀́͒̃̋̓͆̇̀͊̆͗̂͑͐̀͗̅̆͘̕͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅͅḁ̶̢̡̨̧̡̡̨̨̧̨̡̡̢̧̨̡̡̛̛̛͍̱̳͚͕̩͍̺̪̻̫̙͈̬͙̖͙̬͍̬̟̣̝̲̼̜̼̺͎̥̮̝͙̪̘̙̻͖͇͚͙̣̬̖̲̲̥̯̦̗̰̙̗̪̞̗̩̻̪̤̣̜̳̩̦̻͓̞̙͍͙̫̩̹̥͚̻̦̗̰̲̙̫̬̱̺̞̟̻͓̞͚̦̘̝̤͎̤̜̜̥̗̱͈̣̻̰̮̼̙͚͚̠͚̲̤͔̰̭̙̳͍̭͎̙͚͍̟̺͎̝͓̹̰̟͈͈̖̺͙̩̯͔̙̭̟̞̟̼̮̦̜̳͕̞̼͈̜͍̮͕̜͚̝̦̞̥̜̥̗̠̦͇͖̳͈̜̮̣͚̲̟͙̎̈́́͊̔̑̽̅͐͐͆̀͐́̓̅̈͑͑̍̿̏́͆͌̋̌̃̒̽̀̋̀̃̏̌́͂̿̃̎̐͊̒̀̊̅͒̎͆̿̈́̑̐̒̀̈́̓̾͋͆̇̋͒̎̈̄̓̂͊̆͂̈́̒̎͐̇̍̆̋̅̿̔͒̄̇̂̋̈́͆̎̔̇͊̊̈́̔̏͋́̀͂̈́̊͋͂̍̾̓͛̇̔̚͘̚̕̚͘͘̕̕̕̚͘͘̚̕̚̕͜͜͜͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅç̵̧̢̨̢̢̢̧̧̡̨̡̢̧̧̧̨̡̡̨̨̢̢̢̧̨̢̨̢̛̛͉̗̠͇̹̖̝͕͚͎̟̻͓̳̰̻̺̞̣͚̤͙͍͇̗̼͖͔͕͙͖̺͙̖̹̘̘̺͓̜͍̣̰̗̖̺̗̪̘̯̘͚̲͚̲̬̞̹̹͕̭͔̳̘̝̬͉̗̪͉͕̞̫͔̭̭̜͉͔̬̫͙̖̙͚͔͙͚͍̲̘͚̪̗̞̣̞̲͎͔͖̺͍͎̝͎͍̣͍̩̟͈͕̗͉̪̯͉͎͖͍̖͎̖̯̲̘̦̟̭͍͚͓͈͙̬͖̘̱̝̜̘̹̩̝̥̜͎̬͓̬͙͍͇͚̟̫͇̬̲̥̘̞̘̟̘̝̫͈̙̻͇͎̣̪̪̠̲͓͉͙͚̭̪͇̯̠̯̠͖̞̜͓̲͎͇̼̱̦͍͉͈͕͉̗̟̖̗̱̭͚͎̘͓̬͍̱͍̖̯̜̗̹̰̲̩̪͍̞̜̫̩̠͔̻̫͍͇͕̰̰̘͚͈̠̻̮͊̐̿̏̐̀̇̑̐̈͛͑͑̍̑̔̃̈́̓̈́̇̐͑̐̊̆͂̀̏͛̊̔̍̽͗͋̊̍̓̈́̏̅͌̀̽́̑͒͒̓͗̈́̎͌͂̕̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅͅS̵̡̡̧̧̨̨̡̢̡̡̡̡̧̧̡̧̢̫̯͔̼̲͉͙̱̮̭̗͖̯̤͙̜͚̰̮̝͚̥̜̞̠̤̺̝͇̻̱͙̩̲̺͍̳̤̺̖̝̳̪̻̗̮̪̖̺̹̭͍͇̗̝̱̻̳̝̖̝͎̙͉̞̱̯̙̜͇̯̻̞̱̭̗͉̰̮̞͍̫̺͙͎̙̞̯̟͓͉̹̲͖͎̼̫̩̱͇̲͓̪͉̺̞̻͎̤̥̭̺̘̻̥͇̤̖̰̘̭̳̫̙̤̻͇̪̦̭̱͎̥̟͖͕̣̤̩̟̲̭̹̦̹̣͖̖͒̈́̈́̓͗̈̄͂̈́̅̐̐̿̎̂͗̎̿̕͘͜͜͜͜͝͝ͅͅt̸̡̡̧̧̨̡̢̛̥̥̭͍̗͈̩͕͔͔̞̟͍̭͇̙̺̤͚͎͈͎͕̱͈̦͍͔͓̬͚̗̰̦͓̭̰̭̎̀̂̈́̓̒̈́̈́̂̄̋́̇̂͐͒̋̋̉͐̉̏̇͋̓̈́͐̾͋̒͒͐̊̊̀̄͆̄͆̑͆̇̊̓̚̚̕̚̕͜͠͝͝ͅͅơ̵̡̨̡̡̡̨̛̺͕̼͔̼̪̳͖͓̠̘̘̳̼͚͙͙͚̰͚͚͖̥̦̥̘̖̜̰͔̠͕̦͎̞̮͚͕͍̤̠̦͍̥̝̰̖̳̫̮̪͇̤̱̜͙͔̯͙̙̼͇̹̥̜͈̲̺̝̻̮̬̼̫̞̗̣̪̱͓̺̜̠͇͚͓̳̹̥̳̠͍̫͈̟͈̘̯̬̞͔̝͍͍̥̒̐͗͒͂͆̑̀̿̏́̀͑͗̐́̀̾̓́̌̇̒̈́̌̓͐̃̈́̒̂̀̾͂̊̀̂͐̃̄̓̔̽̒̈́̇̓͌̇̂̆̒̏̊̋͊͛͌̊̇̒̅͌̄̎̔̈́͊́̽̋̈̇̈́́͊̅͂̎̃͌͊͛͂̄̽̈́̿͐̉̽̿́́̉͆̈́̒́̂̾̄̇̌̒̈̅̍̿̐͑̓͊̈́̈̋̈́̉̍̋̊̈̀̈́̾̿̌̀̈́͌̑̍́̋̒̀̂̈́́̾̏̐̅̈̑͗͐̈͂̄̾̄̈́̍̉͑͛͗͋̈́̃̄̊́́͐̀̀̽̇̓̄̓̃͋͋̂̽̔̀̎͌̈́̈́̑̓̔̀̓͐͛͆̿̋͑͛̈́͂̅̋̅͆͗̇́̀̒́̏͒̐̍͂̓͐͐̇̂̉̑̊͑̉̋̍͊̄̀͂̎͒̔͊̃̏̕̚̕̕͘͘͘̚͘̚͘̕͘̚͘̚̚̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͝͠͠͝͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅc̴̨̡̢̢̢̡̡̢̛̛̛̻͇̝̣͉͚͎͕̻̦͖̤̖͇̪̩̤̻̭̮̙̰̖̰̳̪̱̹̳̬͖̣͙̼̙̰̻̘͇͚̺̗̩̫̞̳̼̤͔͍͉̟͕̯̺͈̤̰̹̍̋́͆̾̆̊͆͋̀͑͒̄̿̄̀̂͋̊͆́͑̑̽͊̓́̔̽̌͊̄͑͒͐̑͗̿̃̀̓̅́̿͗̈́͌̋̀̏̂͌̓́̇̀͒͋̌̌̅͋͌̆͐̀̔̒͐̊̇̿̽̀̈́̃̒̋̀̈́̃̏̂̊͗̑̊̈̇̀̌͐̈́̉̂̏͊̄͐̈̽͒̏̒̓́̌̓̅́̓̃͐͊͒̄͑̒͌̍̈́̕͘̚͘̕͘̚̕͜͝͠͝͝͝ͅǩ̴̢̢̢̧̨̢̢̢̨̨̨̢̢̢̨̧̨̡̡̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̜̥̩̙͕̮̪̻͈̘̯̼̰̜͚̰͖̬̳͖̣̭̼͔̲͉̭̺͚̺̟͉̝̱̲͎͉̙̥̤͚͙̬̪̜̺͙͍̱̞̭̬̩̖̤̹̤̺̦͈̰̗̰͍͇̱̤̬̬͙̙̲̙̜͖͓̙̟̙̯̪͍̺̥͔͕̝̳̹̻͇̠̣͈̰̦͓͕̩͇͈͇̖͙͍̰̲̤̞͎̟̝̝͈͖͔͖̦̮̗̬̞̞̜̬̠̹̣̣̲̮̞̤̜̤̲̙͔͕̯͔͍̤͕̣͔͙̪̫̝̣̰̬̬̭̞͔̦̟̥̣̻͉͈̮̥̦̮̦͕̤͇̺͆͆̈͗̄̀̌̔̈́̈̉̾̊̐̆̂͛̀̋́̏̀̿͒̓̈́̈́͂̽̾͗͊̋̐̓̓̀̃̊̊͑̓̈̎̇͑̆̂̉̾̾̑͊̉̃́̑͌̀̌̐̅̃̿̆̎̈́̀̒́͛̓̀̊́̋͛͒͊̆̀̃̊͋̋̾̇̒̋͂̏͗͆̂̔́̐̀́͗̅̈̋̂̎̒͊̌̉̈̈́͌̈́̔̾̊̎́͐͒̋̽̽́̾̿̚̕͘͘̚̕̕̕̚̚̕̚̕͘͜͜͜͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅͅB̸̢̧̨̡̢̧̨̡̡̨̡̨̡̡̡̢̨̢̨̛̛̛̛̛̛͉̞͚̰̭̲͈͎͕͈̦͍͈̮̪̤̻̻͉̫̱͔̞̫̦̰͈̗̯̜̩̪̲̻̖̳͖̦͎͔̮̺̬̬̼̦̠̪̤͙͍͓̜̥̙̖̫̻̜͍̻̙̖̜̹͔̗̪̜̖̼̞̣̠̫͉̯̮̤͈͎̝̪͎͇͙̦̥͙̳̫̰̪̣̱̘̤̭̱͍̦͔̖͎̺̝̰̦̱̣͙̙̤͚̲͔̘̱̜̻͔̥̻͖̭͔̜͉̺͕͙͖̜͉͕̤͚̠̩̮̟͚̗͈͙̟̞̮̬̺̻̞͔̥͉͍̦̤͓̦̻̦̯̟̰̭̝̘̩̖̝͔̳͉̗̖̱̩̩̟͙͙͛̀͐̈́̂̇͛̅̒̉̏̈́̿͐́̏̃̏̓̌̽͐̈́͛̍͗͆͛̋̔̉͂̔̂̓̌͌͋̂͆̉͑̊̎́̈́̈̂͆͑́̃̍̇̿̅̾́́̿̅̾̆̅̈́̈̓͒͌͛̃͆̋͂̏̓̅̀͂̽̂̈̈́̎̾̐͋͑̅̍̈́̑̅̄͆̓̾̈́͐̎̊͐̌̌̓͊̊̔̈́̃͗̓͊͐̌͆̓͗̓̓̾̂̽͊͗́́́̽͊͆͋͊̀̑̿̔͒̏̈́́̏͆̈́͋̒͗͂̄̇̒͐̃͑̅̍͒̎̈́̌̋́̓͂̀̇͛̋͊͆̈́̋́̍̃͒̆̕̚̚̕̕̕͘̕̚̚͘̕͜͜͜͜͝͠͠͝͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅͅͅI̵̡̢̧̨̡̢̨̡̡̢̡̧̡̢̢̢̡̢̛̛͕͎͕̩̠̹̩̺̣̳̱͈̻̮̺̟̘̩̻̫͖̟͓̩̜̙͓͇̙̱̭̰̻̫̥̗̠͍͍͚̞̘̫͉̬̫̖̖̦͖͉̖̩̩̖̤̺̥̻̝͈͎̻͓̟̹͍̲͚͙̹̟̟̯͚̳̟͕̮̻̟͈͇̩̝̼̭̯͚͕̬͇̲̲̯̰̖̙̣̝͇̠̞̙͖͎̮̬̳̥̣̺̰͔̳̳̝̩̤̦̳̞̰̩̫̟͚̱̪̘͕̫̼͉̹̹̟̮̱̤̜͚̝̠̤̖̮̯̳͖̗̹̞̜̹̭̿̏͋̒͆̔̄̃̾̓͛̾̌́̅̂͆̔͌͆͋̔̾́̈̇̐̄̑̓̂̾́̄̿̓̅̆͌̉̎̏̄͛̉͆̓̎͒͘̕̕͜͜͜͜͜͜͜͝͠ͅͅƠ̷̢̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̟̰͔͔͇̲̰̮̘̭̭̖̥̟̘̠̬̺̪͇̲͋͂̅̈́̍͂̽͗̾͒̇̇̒͐̍̽͊́̑̇̑̾̉̓̈̾͒̍̌̅̒̾̈́̆͌̌̾̎̽̐̅̏́̈̔͛̀̋̃͊̒̓͗͒̑͒̃͂̌̄̇̑̇͛̆̾͛̒̇̍̒̓̀̈́̄̐͂̍͊͗̎̔͌͛̂̏̉̊̎͗͊͒̂̈̽̊́̔̊̃͑̈́̑̌̋̓̅̔́́͒̄̈́̈̂͐̈̅̈̓͌̓͊́̆͌̉͐̊̉͛̓̏̓̅̈́͂̉̒̇̉̆̀̍̄̇͆͛̏̉̑̃̓͂́͋̃̆̒͋̓͊̄́̓̕̕̕̚͘͘͘̚̕̚͘̕̕͜͜͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͠ͅS̷̢̨̧̢̡̨̢̨̢̨̧̧̨̧͚̱̪͇̱̮̪̮̦̝͖̜͙̘̪̘̟̱͇͎̻̪͚̩͍̠̹̮͚̦̝̤͖̙͔͚̙̺̩̥̻͈̺̦͕͈̹̳̖͓̜͚̜̭͉͇͖̟͔͕̹̯̬͍̱̫̮͓̙͇̗̙̼͚̪͇̦̗̜̼̠͈̩̠͉͉̘̱̯̪̟͕̘͖̝͇̼͕̳̻̜͖̜͇̣̠̹̬̗̝͓̖͚̺̫͛̉̅̐̕͘͜͜͜͜ͅͅͅ.̶̨̢̢̨̢̨̢̛̻͙̜̼̮̝̙̣̘̗̪̜̬̳̫̙̮̣̹̥̲̥͇͈̮̟͉̰̮̪̲̗̳̰̫̙͍̦̘̠̗̥̮̹̤̼̼̩͕͉͕͇͙̯̫̩̦̟̦̹͈͔̱̝͈̤͓̻̟̮̱͖̟̹̝͉̰͊̓̏̇͂̅̀̌͑̿͆̿̿͗̽̌̈́̉̂̀̒̊̿͆̃̄͑͆̃̇͒̀͐̍̅̃̍̈́̃̕͘͜͜͝͠͠z̴̢̢̡̧̢̢̧̢̨̡̨̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̛̲͚̠̜̮̠̜̞̤̺͈̘͍̻̫͖̣̥̗̙̳͓͙̫̫͖͍͇̬̲̳̭̘̮̤̬̖̼͎̬̯̼̮͔̭̠͎͓̼̖̟͈͓̦̩̦̳̙̮̗̮̩͙͓̮̰̜͎̺̞̝̪͎̯̜͈͇̪̙͎̩͖̭̟͎̲̩͔͓͈͌́̿͐̍̓͗͑̒̈́̎͂̋͂̀͂̑͂͊͆̍͛̄̃͌͗̌́̈̊́́̅͗̉͛͌͋̂̋̇̅̔̇͊͑͆̐̇͊͋̄̈́͆̍̋̏͑̓̈́̏̀͒̂̔̄̅̇̌̀̈́̿̽̋͐̾̆͆͆̈̌̿̈́̎͌̊̓̒͐̾̇̈́̍͛̅͌̽́̏͆̉́̉̓̅́͂͛̄̆͌̈́̇͐̒̿̾͌͊͗̀͑̃̊̓̈̈́̊͒̒̏̿́͑̄̑͋̀̽̀̔̀̎̄͑̌̔́̉̐͛̓̐̅́̒̎̈͆̀̍̾̀͂̄̈́̈́̈́̑̏̈́̐̽̐́̏̂̐̔̓̉̈́͂̕̚̕͘͘̚͘̚̕̚̚̚͘̕̕̕͜͜͝͠͠͝͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝͝ͅͅͅī̸̧̧̧̡̨̨̢̨̛̛̘͓̼̰̰̮̗̰͚̙̥̣͍̦̺͈̣̻͇̱͔̰͈͓͖͈̻̲̫̪̲͈̜̲̬̖̻̰̦̰͙̤̘̝̦̟͈̭̱̮̠͍̖̲͉̫͔͖͔͈̻̖̝͎̖͕͔̣͈̤̗̱̀̅̃̈́͌̿̏͋̊̇̂̀̀̒̉̄̈́͋͌̽́̈́̓̑̈̀̍͗͜͜͠͠ͅp̴̢̢̧̨̡̡̨̢̨̢̢̢̨̡̛̛͕̩͕̟̫̝͈̖̟̣̲̖̭̙͇̟̗͖͎̹͇̘̰̗̝̹̤̺͉͎̙̝̟͙͚̦͚͖̜̫̰͖̼̤̥̤̹̖͉͚̺̥̮̮̫͖͍̼̰̭̤̲͔̩̯̣͖̻͇̞̳̬͉̣̖̥̣͓̤͔̪̙͎̰̬͚̣̭̞̬͎̼͉͓̮͙͕̗̦̞̥̮̘̻͎̭̼͚͎͈͇̥̗͖̫̮̤̦͙̭͎̝͖̣̰̱̩͎̩͎̘͇̟̠̱̬͈̗͍̦̘̱̰̤̱̘̫̫̮̥͕͉̥̜̯͖̖͍̮̼̲͓̤̮͈̤͓̭̝̟̲̲̳̟̠͉̙̻͕͙̞͔̖͈̱̞͓͔̬̮͎̙̭͎̩̟̖͚̆͐̅͆̿͐̄̓̀̇̂̊̃̂̄̊̀͐̍̌̅͌̆͊̆̓́̄́̃̆͗͊́̓̀͑͐̐̇͐̍́̓̈́̓̑̈̈́̽͂́̑͒͐͋̊͊̇̇̆̑̃̈́̎͛̎̓͊͛̐̾́̀͌̐̈́͛̃̂̈̿̽̇̋̍͒̍͗̈͘̚̚͘̚͘͘͜͜͜͜͜͜͠͠͝͝ͅͅͅ☻♥■∞{╚mYÄÜXτ╕○\╚Θº£¥ΘBM@Q05♠{{↨↨▬§¶‼↕◄►☼1♦  wumbo╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ╚̯̪̣͕̙̩̦͓͚̙̱̘̝̏̆ͤ̊̅ͩ̓̏̿͆̌Θ̼̯͉ͭͦ̃͊͑̉ͯͤ̈́ͬ͐̈́͊ͤͅº͍̪͇͖̝̣̪̙̫̞̦̥ͨ̂ͧ̄̿£̺̻̹̠̯͙͇̳ͬ̃̿͑͊ͨͣ

49 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

There's no such thing as "white" culture. Western maybe. 

Didn't know the Dutch commonly ate rat meat. 

I'm not saying that other cultures don't have shameful practices, but the Chinese are notorious for their nutritional or medicinal practices, of which the former is now at the center of a pandemic. 

Also mad cow was caused by regulatory failure and barely infected anyone (cause we careful), not medieval consumeristic practices where anyone can grow and sell meat, or unsafe eating practices are common.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Don't worry so much about this virus. Everyone is worrying bc it is currently top shelf of media coverage (i.e. making money). It really isn't that dangerous. If you are really really young/old or immunocompromised, than assess your threat in your particular geographic location and act accordingly.  Everyone else, relax, even if you did get it, you'd recover and go on with life. Just bc it is on the news, doesn't make it important...

4 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Based on the figures on the OP, at 2000 cases and 50 deaths thats a rather modest 2.5% mortality rate. While not great, its not the devastating virus some media outlets are portraying it as.

Another set of figures I found had 7711 cases and 170 deaths, still 2.2% mortality.

Even if the whole world was infected and that mortality rate stayed true at 2.5% ..the worst we would see is 1.875 million deaths and world population reduced down to 2014 levels. ~ 7.3 billion.

If New York City had a mass outbreak - which could potentially spread very rapidly, considering the density of the city - a modest 2% casuality rate would mean over 170 thousand people could die.

And if it got anywhere even near that, it would likely cause even more deaths due to a possible breakdown in the medical system.

The city has 62 hospital beds and 26,451 beds, as of 2012:

https://ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/printnycbtn5.pdf

We can assume that number has grown, and we can assume in an pandemic environment, additional makeshift beds can be found... But if we had 170,000 infected? Not even the entire city? That would overwhelm the hospitals in a matter of hours.

And once the hospitals get overwhelmed, a cascade will happen.

Fortunately there are excellent procedures in place to even prevent that situation from happening - but it still could, and if it does, and it gets out of control, it'll be a disaster.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Eating animals is not shameful, all cultures do it.  Just because a country has regulation issues stemming from logistics issues doesn't make them shameful.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3% is still scary AF

Assuming USA, and an infection rate of 10% of the 350,000,000 population getting sick, that's already 35,000,000 infected and over a 1,000,000 deaths.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

15 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

i dont think you know japan and korea very well if you think they dont have the same kind of stuff especially with the older generation

1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

i dont think you know japan and korea very well if you think they dont have the same kind of stuff especially with the older generation

Koreans eat dogs. Japanese also eat strange things. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

17 hours ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Well, you are wrong. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.livescience.com/amp/is-coronavirus-outbreak-as-bad-as-sars.html

Hopefully they are right and after more data is collected, it's much lower than 3%.

As stated in this article, H1N1 was originally identified with a 7% mortality rate and was also contagious while asymptomatic. Eventually it was found to only have a 0.1% mortality rate.

Hopefully this is the case here, and there are many many more mild and unreported cases in china.

Also, listening to WHO press conferences sound less like status updates and more like ads for how amazing China is.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Somewhat relevant:

83251710_2640292306210737_6575203405252263936_n.jpg.833e7c472674fe4b4eed04173a7e79a1.jpg

EDIT:  Also sorry to all my American friends who are actually rational about this, one of the problems with social media is that we all get colored by the one brush.   But you get the implication.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So... Anyone stocking up their PC components such as RAMs and SSDs? Prices will be skyrocketing soon with shortages of supplies.

Anyway, I wonder if this outbreak is actually a biological warfare, an experiment gone awry, or just that the unlucky idiot accidentally triggers the epidermic? I certainly played enough of apocalyptic games to know it is not as simple as the official news claimed. Anyway, will the society collapsed this time? In Malaysia, we are all out of hand sanitiser and face masks (at least in my area), and many are worried of shortages of food (since we did import lots of vegetables and pork from China).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

Haha oh boy. I, frankly, find it pretty funny that people are so worried about the Wuhan virus. It's death rate is relatively low.

You know what kills about 14% of the people it infects, of which it infects millions of annually, even though we have vaccines? The common flu.

The most recent numbers have 9,700 people infected and a death rate of 213. So about 2%. Or 7x less lethal than the common flu. It also (afaik) is affecting the same type of people negatively as the common flu; those with compromised immune systems, and the elderly.

On 1/27/2020 at 12:49 AM, scuff gang said:

If you were to go look SARS another Coronavirus 

Had a 1 in 10 death rate and killed about 800 people out of the 8000 infected, the death rate with Wuhan Coronavirus is lower but with increased infectivity. 

Also, the world is very overpopulated, we are way over due for a pandemic or epidemic and it wouldn't surprise me if this was it.

Sure the death rate and symptoms are similar to the flu, but it is much more communicable and we don't know any long-term symptoms yet.

I don't see what world population has to do with a pandemic. If anything, we're even more prepared now than we've ever been, what with information sharing and the rapid deployment of drugs. The death rate is no where near similar to the flu, I don't know where you're getting that from. It's simply not as dangerous.

On 1/27/2020 at 1:10 AM, RorzNZ said:

The pandemic is mainly in china  - like 200 of those at most would be from other countries (only 60 patients, that are suspected are in the US). Its very well contained in China. 

To be fair it's still quite young so we don't know the true spread, but you can't really contain anything in China. There's too many people, and too many that travel abroad. As you previously stated, since it can spread asymptotically the spread could be substantially higher and we simply aren't aware yet.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:56 AM, wasab said:

90k is way too visible to cover up, especially in this age of smartphones and internet. 

Haha, no, it's really not. China has 1,400,000,000 people. 90,000 would be a drop in the bucket.

China has well over 1,000,000 Uighurs in what are basically concentration camps. If they can largely cover that up from world views, 90,000 is nothing.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:34 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

It's here in Chicago land. This is within an hour drive of me.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/20200127/coronavirus-patient-remains-in-isolation-at-hoffman-estates-hospital

We're F'd.

Hahahha, please. You have an infinitely higher chance of getting shot when you step outside. Or hell, you're in Chicago. You could be sitting on your couch.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:50 PM, TempestCatto said:

You know there's a conspiracy theorist who thinks China infected people then sent them to different countries to spread the disease.

Funnily enough that's something I mentioned to a friend. Timing would be right, both for the spread, and the fact that with the great destabilization of the Middle East at present it had the chance to sneak by quietly for a longer period of time. Not necessarily that China infected it's own people, could just as easily be another country testing responses to biological attacks.

On 1/27/2020 at 9:54 PM, atxcyclist said:

Incubation is two weeks so they say, but it's contagious prior to symptoms being apparent. Not sure how long the virus lingers, there's possibly not a good idea yet. 

One of the trickiest variables to gauge the severity of this virus is the contrast in medical care between China and countries like the US, Canada, and countries in Europe. Like SARS, bird flu, swine flu, and etc., the real danger was in countries like China where medical care is lacking. Even some people with Ebola got over it in the United States, because the symptoms could be effectively treated at the very least. That said, this coronavirus could turn into a pandemic with a lot of sick people and casualties if proper steps are not taken. If this gets a hold in Africa or South America, it would be very problematic either place.

Yeah, for a country as large as China it's medical system is shockingly lacking. Not too surprising if you really think about it, though. China has only been a developed country for maybe 2 decades, and there are still massive parts of it that simply aren't.

On 1/27/2020 at 10:36 PM, williamcll said:

Still no internal cases over here in Hong Kong, where recent protests burned down the under construction quarantine building made for mainlanders.

Maybe this outbreak will get governments to provide better healthcare policies now.

Hahah, the protesters have now gone from fighting for something to mere miscreants in my mind now.

On 1/27/2020 at 11:22 PM, CalintzJerevinan said:

They already said that once the Corona Virus is gone.  They won't stop people from eating exotic animals or meats.  So basically they don't care.

and this is why

https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/1842104/why-wild-animals-are-a-key-ingredient-in-chinas-coronavirus-outbreak

Why would it? People eat exotic things all over the world.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:00 AM, BuckGup said:

Wasn't the swine flu, ebola, and the bird flu suppose to kill the world? It didn't

Ebola has a much, much much higher mortality rate though. If it had spread, the chances of it killing off huge portions of the world were (and frankly still are) pretty high. Also keep in mind that most of those outbreaks happened when world travel wasn't as pronounced, so new viruses have a much greater chance of spreading in today's world than days gone past.

On 1/28/2020 at 4:46 AM, RasmusDC said:

still 50% of people over 50 ends up dead, that is a decent mortality level, currently the population infected are in the "safer" age, and also high mortality on childern, and if it spreads like a normal influenca virus, then it is a danger..

should have traveled to Japan next week with work, all these travels even to Japan, are cancelled, SARS was not nearly as extreme as how we handle this WUHAN ting.. 

Where did you get that number? I haven't seen anything regarding mortality rates other than it affects the compromised and the elderly more. Same as most viruses.

Which is why Japan would be so worried. They have a largely elderly population.

Do you know why SARS wasn't as extreme? Because the world hadn't really seen a true, fast spreading disease like that before. Now we have, and we've taken the proper measures to help contain it, that really should have been done before as well.

On 1/28/2020 at 5:13 AM, Bombastinator said:

All of them could have.   We’ve got systems in place.  Swine flu was 1970’s.  Bird flu was 10 years ago, Ebola was 2 years ago.  They’re getting more common and we have to keep on getting lucky. Those systems are based on heavy organization, and everything has to work right for them to work.  Eventually something won’t.

Ebola has been around a lot longer than 2 years.

On 1/29/2020 at 12:54 PM, Retro_R said:

God, I just hope it doesn't go widespread in someplace like US or Canada or something. This is probably one of my greatest fears. Maybe they'll make a vaccine. But then again, all of the anti-vax crap kinda scares me. There's legit videos of people falling dead in the streets in China. I'm thinking of buying new masks (just in case).

I think the medical system is good enough to deal with it. See, I've seen that video too, but how do you know he died? It was taken by a bystander. Highly doubt they followed him to the hospital, kept up with his status, etc. He more than likely passed out, and there's no saying what caused it, either.

No point in buying masks, they won't help you.

On 1/29/2020 at 5:22 PM, Andreas Lilja said:

That's a really bigoted view of the world. In India, they look at people that eat beef as unholy.

21 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

If New York City had a mass outbreak - which could potentially spread very rapidly, considering the density of the city - a modest 2% casuality rate would mean over 170 thousand people could die.

And if it got anywhere even near that, it would likely cause even more deaths due to a possible breakdown in the medical system.

The city has 62 hospital beds and 26,451 beds, as of 2012:

https://ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/printnycbtn5.pdf

We can assume that number has grown, and we can assume in an pandemic environment, additional makeshift beds can be found... But if we had 170,000 infected? Not even the entire city? That would overwhelm the hospitals in a matter of hours.

And once the hospitals get overwhelmed, a cascade will happen.

Fortunately there are excellent procedures in place to even prevent that situation from happening - but it still could, and if it does, and it gets out of control, it'll be a disaster.

Yeah but you're assuming that every single person was infected. That would be quite something, and pretty unlikely.

If you look at something more likely it would be closer to 65,000 on the high end. That's 100% of people over the age of 60 infected at a 2% mortality rate, and 30% of the general populous infected at a 2% mortality rate. Which, honestly, is probably still considerably higher than it'd actually be. With a 40% infection rate of the elderly you're looking at around 35,000.

The main flaw in your calculations and worries though, is that this isn't Ebola. There's no hemorrhaging from multiple orifices, there's no boils, and other than the most extreme cases, there's no vomiting of blood. In fact one of the reasons it's been as bad as it has been, is that it very closely follows the symptoms of the common flu. So, like the common flu, most people can simply be sent home to try and fend it off. Those that can't, the elderly or those who are more severely affected, can be handled by the medical system. If it was a massive outbreak as you've suggested, the US Army can be brought in to assist with field hospitals, as well as the support of US Navy hospital ships, which house 1,000 beds each.

1 hour ago, Chiyawa said:

So... Anyone stocking up their PC components such as RAMs and SSDs? Prices will be skyrocketing soon with shortages of supplies.

Anyway, I wonder if this outbreak is actually a biological warfare, an experiment gone awry, or just that the unlucky idiot accidentally triggers the epidermic? I certainly played enough of apocalyptic games to know it is not as simple as the official news claimed. Anyway, will the society collapsed this time? In Malaysia, we are all out of hand sanitiser and face masks (at least in my area), and many are worried of shortages of food (since we did import lots of vegetables and pork from China).

I mean, they've already caught Chinese scientists experimenting with genes, it's not unreasonable to think they've also been working on biological weapons.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I mean, they've already caught Chinese scientists experimenting with genes, it's not unreasonable to think they've also been working on biological weapons.

Yeah. It's a scary thing if this became normal.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

On 1/26/2020 at 11:49 PM, scuff gang said:

Also, the world is very overpopulated, we are way over due for a pandemic or epidemic and it wouldn't surprise me if this was it.

This is not how disease, evolution, or natural selection works. This is just a cynical idea in your head. There is no divine force out there that determines when a disease hits and how infectious or deadly it is. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

On 1/31/2020 at 4:44 AM, dizmo said:
Spoiler

Haha oh boy. I, frankly, find it pretty funny that people are so worried about the Wuhan virus. It's death rate is relatively low.

You know what kills about 14% of the people it infects, of which it infects millions of annually, even though we have vaccines? The common flu.

The most recent numbers have 9,700 people infected and a death rate of 213. So about 2%. Or 7x less lethal than the common flu. It also (afaik) is affecting the same type of people negatively as the common flu; those with compromised immune systems, and the elderly.

I don't see what world population has to do with a pandemic. If anything, we're even more prepared now than we've ever been, what with information sharing and the rapid deployment of drugs. The death rate is no where near similar to the flu, I don't know where you're getting that from. It's simply not as dangerous.

To be fair it's still quite young so we don't know the true spread, but you can't really contain anything in China. There's too many people, and too many that travel abroad. As you previously stated, since it can spread asymptotically the spread could be substantially higher and we simply aren't aware yet.

Haha, no, it's really not. China has 1,400,000,000 people. 90,000 would be a drop in the bucket.

China has well over 1,000,000 Uighurs in what are basically concentration camps. If they can largely cover that up from world views, 90,000 is nothing.

Hahahha, please. You have an infinitely higher chance of getting shot when you step outside. Or hell, you're in Chicago. You could be sitting on your couch.

Funnily enough that's something I mentioned to a friend. Timing would be right, both for the spread, and the fact that with the great destabilization of the Middle East at present it had the chance to sneak by quietly for a longer period of time. Not necessarily that China infected it's own people, could just as easily be another country testing responses to biological attacks.

Yeah, for a country as large as China it's medical system is shockingly lacking. Not too surprising if you really think about it, though. China has only been a developed country for maybe 2 decades, and there are still massive parts of it that simply aren't.

Hahah, the protesters have now gone from fighting for something to mere miscreants in my mind now.

Why would it? People eat exotic things all over the world.

Ebola has a much, much much higher mortality rate though. If it had spread, the chances of it killing off huge portions of the world were (and frankly still are) pretty high. Also keep in mind that most of those outbreaks happened when world travel wasn't as pronounced, so new viruses have a much greater chance of spreading in today's world than days gone past.

Where did you get that number? I haven't seen anything regarding mortality rates other than it affects the compromised and the elderly more. Same as most viruses.

Which is why Japan would be so worried. They have a largely elderly population.

Do you know why SARS wasn't as extreme? Because the world hadn't really seen a true, fast spreading disease like that before. Now we have, and we've taken the proper measures to help contain it, that really should have been done before as well.

Ebola has been around a lot longer than 2 years.

I think the medical system is good enough to deal with it. See, I've seen that video too, but how do you know he died? It was taken by a bystander. Highly doubt they followed him to the hospital, kept up with his status, etc. He more than likely passed out, and there's no saying what caused it, either.

No point in buying masks, they won't help you.

That's a really bigoted view of the world. In India, they look at people that eat beef as unholy.

Yeah but you're assuming that every single person was infected. That would be quite something, and pretty unlikely.

If you look at something more likely it would be closer to 65,000 on the high end. That's 100% of people over the age of 60 infected at a 2% mortality rate, and 30% of the general populous infected at a 2% mortality rate. Which, honestly, is probably still considerably higher than it'd actually be. With a 40% infection rate of the elderly you're looking at around 35,000.

The main flaw in your calculations and worries though, is that this isn't Ebola. There's no hemorrhaging from multiple orifices, there's no boils, and other than the most extreme cases, there's no vomiting of blood. In fact one of the reasons it's been as bad as it has been, is that it very closely follows the symptoms of the common flu. So, like the common flu, most people can simply be sent home to try and fend it off. Those that can't, the elderly or those who are more severely affected, can be handled by the medical system. If it was a massive outbreak as you've suggested, the US Army can be brought in to assist with field hospitals, as well as the support of US Navy hospital ships, which house 1,000 beds each.

Didn’t read all of it.  It was a long post. I can only reply to your opener and your reply to me.

re: opener
you do make a point about the flu.

I get my flu shot every year.  My chances of being killed by a coronavirus infection is apparently ~50%.  Something like 3 times more dangerous for me than the flu.  Perhaps a corona virus thing will be added to the flu shot. It’s apparently particularly bad for children and people over 50.  The Black Plague didn’t kill everyone either.  It was only something like 30%.  Unless it went pneumatic.  Then it was something like 90% and would wipe out a city in a couple days.

re: Ebola

Yep.  Ebola’s been around for centuries.  Ebola killed so fast though that it didn’t spread.  Little pockets would pop up, kill everyone, and vanish.  Not a pandemic risk.

Not happening lately though because we travel so much faster.

Edited by LogicalDrm

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 1/27/2020 at 2:49 AM, scuff gang said:

isnt the disease deadly to those with weakened immune systems?

elderly, sick, and young seem to be likely targets to die from the disease. i think we all have one of those people we care about even if we arnt one ourselves. its also very sad to see the images out of china people in lockdown, anyone think this some sort of natures way to deal with our over population diminishes the human suffering and death this is inflicting inside china.

have some empathy man.... you sound like a psychopath.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

re: Ebola

Yep.  Ebola’s been around for centuries.  Ebola killed so fast though that it didn’t spread.  Little pockets would pop up, kill everyone, and vanish.  Not a pandemic risk.

Not happening lately though because we travel so much faster.

Historically speaking, yes - Ebola would kill the local population off too quickly, because it tended to arise in very isolated areas, usually in remote Africa.

But if Ebola had infected London or some other city? It would be a totally different situation. A modern Ebola outbreak in a large city still has the potential to be devastating, and could easily cause a pandemic.

With the recent outbreaks in Africa, WHO had been fighting Ebola infections to try and make sure it didn't reach the local cities, which were still comparatively small places.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)