Is a air cooler like the Arctic Freezer 36 sufficient for the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X?

Hello there!

I have built a pretty compact setup for myself - a microATX build with the Aerocool Atomic Lite (not the best case, i know, but sufficient for me), 2 120mm fans in the front and 1 120mm fan for exhaustion. On my current CPU, the Ryzen 5 3600, i have the pretty new Arctic Freezer 36, which is a really nice dual-fan single tower cooler and i would love to continue using it, especially since i'm not a fan of water coolers, even Arctic ones. But i also don't wanna plan on using the Ryzen 9 5900X if the cooler couldn't keep up with it's demands, so my specific question is:

If using this cooler (or a similiar one) and leaving it on stock - maybe even using the Eco Mode in Ryzen Master - is the cooler "enough" to not go over 90 degrees on a full load (like Prime95 Small FFTs, like a worst case scenario) and if not, does adding two additional fans on the top help mitigate the problem a bit, or is the cooler not good enough for it and i should consider another one? Because unless it is crucial, i wouldn't want to change it out, and could live with more noise.

Kind regards!

6 minutes ago, Pandoroo said:

Hello there!

I have built a pretty compact setup for myself - a microATX build with the Aerocool Atomic Lite (not the best case, i know, but sufficient for me), 2 120mm fans in the front and 1 120mm fan for exhaustion. On my current CPU, the Ryzen 5 3600, i have the pretty new Arctic Freezer 36, which is a really nice dual-fan single tower cooler and i would love to continue using it, especially since i'm not a fan of water coolers, even Arctic ones. But i also don't wanna plan on using the Ryzen 9 5900X if the cooler couldn't keep up with it's demands, so my specific question is:

If using this cooler (or a similiar one) and leaving it on stock - maybe even using the Eco Mode in Ryzen Master - is the cooler "enough" to not go over 90 degrees on a full load (like Prime95 Small FFTs, like a worst case scenario) and if not, does adding two additional fans on the top help mitigate the problem a bit, or is the cooler not good enough for it and i should consider another one? Because unless it is crucial, i wouldn't want to change it out, and could live with more noise.

Kind regards!

Should be alright after undervolt. Just undervolt in BIOS instead of Ryzen master

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

Should be ok at stock worst case minor undervolt.

Thanks for telling! I'll keep it in mind and hope to say something about it once the CPU arrives here.

Kind regards!

Reading from Reddit though, the 5900X/5950X goes quite hot even with 360mm AIO:

But Freezer 36 should be quite capable air cooler.

I edit my posts more often than not

1 hour ago, Pandoroo said:

Hello there!

Kind regards!

Arctic 36 may be a bit weak for a 5900X full blast, but if you undervolt it a bit and keep PPT under 140W (don't need eco mode) it'll  work fine I think

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Okay, i got my Ryzen 9 CPU now and can confirm the following:

My max temps on a pretty warm April day got to a max of 85 degrees on stock settings and got to 77 degrees after putting an offset value of -30 while retaining a boost clock of 4.8 GHz. I'd see this as a win for me.

So yeah, thanks for the help and recommendation!