8 core version of 8700k is coming this Fall!

Rakanoth
57 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

In fairness 8 cores and 16 threads OCed to 5 Ghz would probably push most 100 and quite a few 200 series boards pretty hard.

unless its a disaster for power draw im still putting my money on that pretty much all the Z series 100 and 200 boards would have been fine. 140W should be fine tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

43 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

That's only because the Ryzen die is of a lower density, which means less chance of manufacturing defects and a lower manufacturing cost. Remember that Intel is trying to cram as many transistors into their designs as the manufacturing node of theirs will allow.

I'm no expert in this field but I don't think it's as simple as higher density means lower yields... If so then we would be seeing 14nm having much lower yields than 22nm, for example.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, Cookybiscuit said:

The 8700K is already sucks up a bunch of power, will be interesting to see if an eight core version sets fire to the socket like X299 does.

Shitposting aside, I don't think the average consumer really cares about power consumption that much, it's really only vitally important for mobile platforms (including laptops). I much prefer this universe where a manufacturer is willing to produce a CPU with a silly TDP in the name of competition rather than one where they don't because "muh power draw would be too high".

Products like this and for example 7990 are stupid, but they are on the enthusiast side of things anyway, people who buy them don't really care if they consume 400W or 500W, in much of the world electricity is cheap as chips. 

Not in my part of the world! ??

Screenshot_20180216-214349.png.d84f67af01a5296f5c60952c4f735175.png

I'm a bit east of San Diego, CA.  Summer on-peak (mid afternoon) can reach 53¢(US)/kWh!

34 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

unless its a disaster for power draw im still putting my money on that pretty much all the Z series 100 and 200 boards would have been fine. 140W should be fine tbh

Yeah, I wish I could have put a 6+ core CPU in my laptop's LGA 1151 Z170 socket :/ and also upgrade the GPU past Maxwell.  Still hoping just a little that I could maybe put in an 8-core i7-8790 or 9700, and GTX 1160 or 2060 or whatever they'd be called.  It has an i7-6700K and GTX 970M now.  (I'd probably go for a locked CPU for lower TDP, can't really do any overclocking with my current laptop config as it is.)

3 hours ago, Deli said:

Local shop Alternate.nl sells it for 499 euro.

Alternate.be has it at 749 euros, wth!? Coolblue across the street has it close to 500 euros though... :P

Oh well, I'm still not in the market for a new CPU anyways, all I need is decent gaming performance and my 2600k still does well enough. I'll keep using it until it or the motherboard dies, and then I'll switch to the best performer around at that time.

Desktop:     Core i7-9700K @ 5.1GHz all-core = ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate = 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @ 3600MHz = Asus ROG Strix 3060ti (non LHR) = Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD = ASUS PG279Q

Notebook:  Clevo P651RG-G = Core i7 6820HK = 16GB HyperX Impact DDR4 2133MHz = GTX 980M = 1080p IPS G-Sync = Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 SSD + Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD

Meh.

I mean this might be somewhat good news for some video editors who's budget keeps them from Threadripper or X299 platforms but it's not like they couldn't go but a 2700 like, right now and get 8/16 with solid clocks.

Sure it will be better with the likely higher boost clocks this chip will have but I am really hard pressed to see how any gamers will benefit from the current 6/12 5.0ghz chips. And before you say yes some streamers that might demand 144hz will probably benefit for their personal experience, not for the experience of their audience since 60 FPS is about as good as refresh rates will stay for the foreseeable future for streamers so yeah the 2700 can already do all that. By the time there's volume for this new 8/16 cheap Zen 2 will be near too so I must renew my initial reaction: meh.

-------

Current Rig

-------

kek

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, WereCat said:

Why? CPUs are fairly cheap these days. Especially on the AMD side.

depends where you live lol

I paid $300 for my 8350k while the R5 1600 was around 320 just because if "it has more cores it's more expensive"

by that logic an 8700k should be cheaper than a R7 2700

and... it is. ~485 for the 2700 and ~428 for the 8700k. no kidding just checked, blue team wins

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

2 hours ago, DocSwag said:

That's because they're getting higher profit margins. The die size of the 6 core is around 150 mm^2, and that's including the iGPU. That's compared to the 8 core Ryzen being around 200 mm^2 without an iGPU. I wouldn't be surprised if the 8 core used the same graphics as the current 6 cores that we could see the die size be around 200 mm^2, pretty similar to ryzen.

Obviously, different fabs costs different amounts and have different yields, but I don't think the difference would be too large. Plus, intel owns its own fabs so it doesn't have to have a third party, Glofo, suck up some of their money. I think that it's more of the case that right now intel is making more profits per sale than amd.

Idk they said the cost savings of their architecture compared to monolithic is 40%. That is comparing what monolithic would cost them so I would think that it is still a bit cheaper for amd.

Meh, at this point even if Intel is the better performer. I'll still get an AMD CPU

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

11 minutes ago, aezakmi said:

depends where you live lol

I paid $300 for my 8350k while the R5 1600 was around 320 just because if "it has more cores it's more expensive"

by that logic an 8700k should be cheaper than a R7 2700

and... it is. ~485 for the 2700 and ~428 for the 8700k. no kidding just checked, blue team wins

R7 2700X is €300

R7 1700 is €225

i7 8700k is €320

I paid around €350 for my i7 4770k when it released.

RAM prices were also sky high back then, I paid €120 for 2x8GB 1600MHz CL9 kit.

36 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Idk they said the cost savings of their architecture compared to monolithic is 40%. That is comparing what monolithic would cost them so I would think that it is still a bit cheaper for amd.

What are you referring to? Epyc? If you're talking about Epyc I agree, but I was referring to the 8 core consumer Intel CPUs

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

10 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

What are you referring to? Epyc? If you're talking about Epyc I agree, but I was referring to the 8 core consumer Intel CPUs

One if the main advantages of their designs isn't just that the cpu is made up of a bunch of 4 core clusters that are fabricated individually but also that they are produced on a massive scale and are being used in their entire product stack. This means that they can take the cpu cores that aren't as good and release them as r7 and r5 while they use the nice ones for epyc and threadripper. That makes the cost of a 8 core r7 actually much lower than a monolithic die ring bus i7, 8 core. They are only producing one product and not in as large if scale as what Zen is. They also have to deal with imperfections being much more detrimental to them than for ryzen. All in all this makes r7 cpus much cheaper as they are just the lower binned modules that have all working components. I would suspect that their 8 core is going to be more expensive than the r7 by a large margin to make up for increase in cost. It also makes me wonder what they will do with semi faulty 8 cores that they make.  

instead of releasing something there is little demand for because they are enraged at AMD.... can't they just wait for the next sku lineup? iX-9xxx

I mean sheesh

it'd be less confusing... It's been too hard to keep up with Intel Lately.. it's like skylake was released and then it was just arch after arch. I'm borderline lost

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

So, Intel is finally launching an 8-core part for their desktop.  After 7 generations of 4-core max, they've finally released a 6-core and now preparing an 8-core for mainstream.

bust-out-the-popcorn-this-is-gonna-be-go

2 hours ago, PianoPlayer88Key said:

I'm a bit east of San Diego, CA.

The downsides of living in Commiefornia.

44 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It also makes me wonder what they will do with semi faulty 8 cores that they make.

Assuming they don't require a new chipset for the 8-cores, they could disable 2 cores and make it an 8700.

Mmmm now I have to decide between staying with my 4.2'Ghz Haswell 6 core, getting a 5.2Ghz 8086k, or 8 cores.

I'm leaning towards the 8086.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

almost makes you too scared to buy it; because watch they'll release a 12 core a year later xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Mmmm now I have to decide between staying with my 4.2'Ghz Haswell 6 core, getting a 5.2Ghz 8086k, or 8 cores.

Why a 8086 vs 8700k? I am assuming your going to OC it, and at that point they would be the same.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Why a 8086 vs 8700k? I am assuming your going to OC it, and at that point they would be the same.

The 8086 appears to be an on-average better binned part so more likely to eek out that extra .1 or .2Ghz.  

Moving to Z270 off X99 isn't a sure thing for me yet though.  Buying a new motherboard that won't be as good as my X99 board sours the deal.  

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

18 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

The 8086 appears to be an on-average better binned part so more likely to eek out that extra .1 or .2Ghz.  

Moving to Z270 off X99 isn't a sure thing for me yet though.  Buying a new motherboard that won't be as good as my X99 board sours the deal.  

Better off just buying a binned cpu from silicon lottery at that point as they actually test the oc.

22 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

In theory, the part could be potentially valuable to a collector years down the road.  As such, it may retain its value longer in that regard than technology typically does.

22 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

In theory, the part could be potentially valuable to a collector years down the road.  As such, it may retain its value longer in that regard than technology typically does.

It worked out that way for the G3258, they didn't really depreciate as much as a normal non-special chip would.

In general you always want to buy the highest model i5 or i7 since they hold value better than lower models.  ie a 4790k is forever more desirable than a 4770k, by about $50 right now used ($210 vs $160).

I live in a special place anyways where I don't ever lose money on selling CPUs years later, so for me I don't care about the cost so much as I care about the hassle vs. benefit of doing an upgrade.  Also the motherboard pricing factors hugely in.

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Wait till it drops and siliconlottery is forced to dump their pricing then pick up a delidded 5.2Ghz 8700k.

10 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Would be funny if AMD decided to move down the pricetier for threadripper 2. You know...... 500$ for a 12 core part. 

They most likely will. I don't see AMD selling their 32 core for 1000$, but 1500$ seems reasonable. 

Given this, an 500$ 12 core and an 800$ 16 cores seems totally reasonable. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

what if AMD saved the ryzen 7 2800X for such an occasion. I'm not sure what they could do with it since ryzen maxes out at 8 cores per die and anything beyond is TR territory... but a man can dream.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

10 minutes ago, LukaH said:

what if AMD saved the ryzen 7 2800X for such an occasion. I'm not sure what they could do with it since ryzen maxes out at 8 cores per die and anything beyond is TR territory... but a man can dream.

so your dream is a binned 2800x that can boost to 4,8 ghz using XFR2?