8 core version of 8700k is coming this Fall!

Rakanoth
Just now, mynameisjuan said:

So somehow I think you are completely ignoring the 28 core part? Like do you realize how heat scales with cores or are you just lacking knowledge about it? Have you seen how hot intels 18 core gets at 5ghz? The fact that it wasnt done with NO2 is fucking impressive for intel. 

I know exactly how heat scales with cores. Which is why how impressive it is depends entirely on how often a chip like that pops up and whether they did a delid and tossed on LM.

55 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

How was it a fraud? Chilled cooling or not it was a 28 core running at 5ghz, like it was physically shown. That in itself is impressive. Could give two shits whether the product is released or not. 

Intel controls the server and mobile and AMD is just starting to make a dent. AMD might be shoving cores down peoples throats but single core performance is still more important for the next few years. 

Neither fear each other like you say. You are just fanboying stupid shit. 

It is still impressive especially when it is likely based on a Xeon with a 2.5Ghz base clock.

But sadly there can't seem to be an Intel thread without it turning into fanpeople derailing it completely offtopic.

3 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

It is still impressive especially when it is likely based on a Xeon with a 2.5Ghz base clock.

But sadly there can't seem to be an Intel thread without it turning into fanpeople derailing it completely offtopic.

Definitively agree. Cant say I didnt help with the derailment but it was a response to a random "28 is fake!!!, this is stupid expensive" blah blah...

I am excited for the 8 core. I expect prices to be around the 8700k now, but will expect more people to bitch because they bought the 6 core last year. 

33 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again what proof do you have it was faked? Still have a cinebench score and clock speeds. Dont care what was faked about it. 

So somehow I think you are completely ignoring the 28 core part? Like do you realize how heat scales with cores or are you just lacking knowledge about it? Have you seen how hot intels 18 core gets at 5ghz? The fact that it wasnt done with NO2 is fucking impressive for intel. 

It was impressive when they showed it running at 4 ghz on regular custom loop. I mean what they did is about as relevant as ln2 overcloks which is not very. You can't take a ln2 overclock and determine the real life performance of the cpu just like you can't from one cooled with a refrigeration unit. 

27 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Definitively agree. Cant say I didnt help with the derailment but it was a response to a random "28 is fake!!!, this is stupid expensive" blah blah...

I am excited for the 8 core. I expect prices to be around the 8700k now, but will expect more people to bitch because they bought the 6 core last year. 

I think it will be priced at 400 plus at least. The 8700k was 360 compared to the 300 the 7700k cost so I highly doubt they would sell it for the same as the 8700k. I would imagine they will price it a fair bit away from the 8700k to ensure it doesn't make the 8700k an irrelevant cpu. They likely are still going to be selling the 8700k so if the price difference is too small then the 8700k will no longer sell. I reality I would say around 500 seems most likely to me. 

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

You can't take a ln2 overclock and determine the real life performance of the cpu just like you can't from one cooled with a refrigeration unit. 

If you know what you're doing, you most certainly can.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, DildorTheDecent said:

If you know what you're doing, you most certainly can.

No you can't. Overclocking on ln2 gives you one data point and you can do nothing with that data to predict real world performance. I mean if you know about the architecture you might be able to but at that point you don't need the ln2 information to make a prediction. An ln2 overclock only tells you what the cpu can do while overclokced on ln2 nothing more. 

20 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It was impressive when they showed it running at 4 ghz on regular custom loop. I mean what they did is about as relevant as ln2 overcloks which is not very. You can't take a ln2 overclock and determine the real life performance of the cpu just like you can't from one cooled with a refrigeration unit. 

This wasnt LN. This was a refrigeration unit which even with chilled water yields no where near L2 performance. Thats what makes it impressive. der8auer could barely get the 18 core clocked to 6ghz on L2 but a 28 core on chilled water is even more impressive. No it wont run 5ghz stock but thats not the point. The fact is that on a typical water cooling setup you could see mid 4s. 

14 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

I think it will be priced at 400 plus at least. The 8700k was 360 compared to the 300 the 7700k cost so I highly doubt they would sell it for the same as the 8700k. I would imagine they will price it a fair bit away from the 8700k to ensure it doesn't make the 8700k an irrelevant cpu. They likely are still going to be selling the 8700k so if the price difference is too small then the 8700k will no longer sell. I reality I would say around 500 seems most likely to me. 

The same was said for the 8700k. Intel knows it cant go that high because AMD prices. It knew that when the 8700k was released. 

And who fucking cares if the 8700k owners get their feelings hurt. 

11 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

No you can't. Overclocking on ln2 gives you one data point and you can do nothing with that data to predict real world performance. I mean if you know about the architecture you might be able to but at that point you don't need the ln2 information to make a prediction. An ln2 overclock only tells you what the cpu can do while overclokced on ln2 nothing more. 

>Because comparable processors don't exist.

The 28 core part is a 8180. Just use that for the comparison and it all becomes easier. Some napkin math and you'll have a rough idea as to how well and fast it goes. You're talking as if there's not more than one source to pull data from, which is completely untrue.

By the way, how did you figure out that the 28 core part was running at roughly 4GHz? To my knowledge, there was only one 28 core part that had a clockspeed listed and that's the 5GHz part. Did you do some rough napkin math by dividing the CB score by the clockspeed? It's a crude method but it can work out alright.

I'm intrigued.

24 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

It was impressive when they showed it running at 4 ghz on regular custom loop.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

8 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

The 28 core part is a 8180. Just use that for the comparison and it all becomes easier. Some napkin math and you'll have a rough idea as to how well and fast it goes. You're talking as if there's not more than one source to pull data from, which is completely untrue.

By the way, how did you figure out that the 28 core part was running at roughly 4GHz? To my knowledge, there was only one 28 core part that had a clockspeed listed and that's the 5GHz part. Did you do some rough napkin math by dividing the CB score by the clockspeed? It's a crude method but it can work out alright.

I'm intrigued.

They had it on display at computex running on a custom water loop. It's funny how they had real world performance at the show but it never got much attention because of the 5ghz benchmark. 

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This wasnt LN. This was a refrigeration unit which even with chilled water yields no where near L2 performance. Thats what makes it impressive. der8auer could barely get the 18 core clocked to 6ghz on L2 but a 28 core on chilled water is even more impressive. No it wont run 5ghz stock but thats not the point. The fact is that on a typical water cooling setup you could see mid 4s. 

The same was said for the 8700k. Intel knows it cant go that high because AMD prices. It knew that when the 8700k was released. 

And who fucking cares if the 8700k owners get their feelings hurt. 

Intel doesn't care about 8700k owners but they do care about all the money they put into fab setup for their 8700k and won't stop selling the chip so short in its life cycle. They don't want to cannibalize their sales of the 8700k so they won't price it near it. They will price it for more to ensure they don't. 

43 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

possible but you can get 7820x for 400 right now and 8700k 300

so i'm thinking 450

17 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I'm intrigued.

only 2 things stated was 28 core and cascadelakex which would be more tweaked?

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

They had it on display at computex running on a custom water loop. It's funny how they had real world performance at the show but it never got much attention because of the 5ghz benchmark. 

I know that, it's not what I'm on about though. They had the stage PC which was showing 5GHz loud and proud along with a CB score.

The watercooled PC on the other hand just had a CB score and no clockspeed listed. So, how did you figure out the clockspeed?

1 hour ago, mynameisjuan said:

Again what proof do you have it was faked? Still have a cinebench score and clock speeds. Dont care what was faked about it. 

It clearly was faked - as GamersNexus and I believe LINUS TECH TIPS have stated and demonstrated, the motherboard was clearly not the correct board or chipset to achieve what it acheived without -10 degrees Celsius cooling. No consumer is going to get ambient temperature: 5 Ghz so it is a clear fake. Not only that it was a previous generation canabalised Xeon CPU!

Bear in mind I'm a Intel user myself. Don't want to bash Intel.

But fake is fake. It was poor judgement and whomever in management at Intel approved this brought the company into disrepute and should be disciplined.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

It clearly was faked - as GamersNexus and I believe LINUS TECH TIPS have stated and demonstrated, the motherboard was clearly not the correct board or chipset to achieve what it acheived without -10 degrees Celsius cooling. No consumer is going to get ambient temperature: 5 Ghz so it is a clear fake. Not only that it was a previous generation canabalised Xeon CPU!

But fake is fake. It was poor judgement and whomever in management at Intel approved this brought the company into disrepute and should be disciplined.

how was it faked it was clearly running on stage

5 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Why the fuck are people arguing if its fake? WHO THE HELL CARES IF ITS NOT AIR COOLED! Seriously people, are the deb8er 6ghz 18 cores fake because he used L2? Fuck no. 

Not fucking arguing if you will get 5ghz air cooled. No way in hell. This is no different than an OC showcase. 

Are people this ignorant about what "fake" means? It was clearly running regardless of cooling, mobo, VRM.

7 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

I know that, it's not what I'm on about though. They had the stage PC which was showing 5GHz loud and proud along with a CB score.

The watercooled PC on the other hand just had a CB score and no clockspeed listed. So, how did you figure out the clockspeed?

It was brought up in a video while talking about the 5ghz controversy. I forgot if it was the wan show or a gamers nexus video or a Linus video but I do remember they brought up the clock speed and said they had it on display as well. 

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Why the fuck are people arguing if its fake? WHO THE HELL CARES IF ITS NOT AIR COOLED! Seriously people, are the deb8er 6ghz 18 cores fake because he used L2? Fuck no. 

Not fucking arguing if you will get 5ghz air cooled. No way in hell. This is no different than an OC showcase. 

Are people this ignorant about what "fake" means? It was clearly running regardless of cooling, mobo, VRM.

4 minutes ago, pas008 said:

how was it faked it was clearly running on stage

It was misrepresented as a new CPU when it wasn't. It was reported like it was ambient. It wasn't.

Its a misrepresentation. When the new CPU is nowhere near available whereas Threadripper 2 is virtually here.

Its a lie to make people delay upgrading something that is not imminently going to be released by Intel.

Its a shoddy business practice

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

It's not fake but just like an ln2 overclock it really means nothing to most people. I mean when they overclokced ryzen cpus on ln2 I didn't care at all and neither did most people because it mean nothing about how cpu will actually perform for the average person. 

30 minutes ago, pas008 said:

possible but you can get 7820x for 400 right now and 8700k 300

so i'm thinking 450

only 2 things stated was 28 core and cascadelakex which would be more tweaked?

450 seems like a good bet. If people think it's going to cost under 400 I think they are going to be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

It was misrepresented as a new CPU when it wasn't. It was reported like it was ambient. It wasn't.

Its a misrepresentation. When the new CPU is nowhere near available whereas Threadripper 2 is virtually here.

Its a lie to make people delay upgrading something that is not imminently going to be released by Intel.

Its a shoddy business practice

no the media mislead people

if you watched closely few reported facts and stated theories

and then many reported 28core 5ghz because they lacked knowledge, especially when there is a waterblock and all core 5ghz no boost, no base was even mentioned clear indicators

5 minutes ago, pas008 said:

no the media mislead people

if you watched closely few reported facts and stated theories

and then many reported 28core 5ghz because they lacked knowledge, especially when there is a waterblock and all core 5ghz no boost, no base was even mentioned clear indicators

Oh the usual 'blame the media'

The genuine consumer media such as LTT and GamersNexus immediately cried BS, that what Intel was claiming was not the case.

Don't do the blame the media track. Intel clearly mislead people. Knowingly. Media people in this industry have no benefit from misleading their readers. Whereas Intel clearly have a benefit.

From those reporting directly at Computex - they were clearly misled.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-cpu-5ghz,37244.html

We met with the company last night, and while Intel didn't provide many details, a company representative explained to us that "in the excitement of the moment," the company merely "forgot" to tell the crowd that it had overclocked the system. Intel also said it isn’t targeting the gaming crowd with the new chip.

The presentation did take place in front of a crowd of roughly a hundred journalists and a few thousand others, not to mention a global livestream with untold numbers watching live, so perhaps nerves came into play. In the end, Intel claims the whole fiasco is merely the result of a flubbed recitation of pre-scripted lines, with the accidental omission of a single word: "Overclocked." 

4 minutes ago, mark_cameron said:

Oh the usual 'blame the media'

The genuine consumer media such as LTT and GamersNexus immediately cried BS, that what Intel was claiming was not the case.

Don't do the blame the media track. Intel clearly mislead people. Knowingly. Media people in this industry have no benefit from misleading their readers. Whereas Intel clearly have a benefit.

From those reporting directly at Computex - they were clearly misled.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-28-core-cpu-5ghz,37244.html

lol so intel just upped and dropped their boost tables?

and waterblock clearly on cpu?

dont blame the messenger when intel only stated 28 core and cascade lake x as confirmation?

seriously now how can you jump to anything else

ok then lol

10 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

450 seems like a good bet. If people think it's going to cost under 400 I think they are going to be disappointed. 

$450 would be a fair price, but even at that price I would hope it's compatible with Z370,since most decent Z370 boards should be capable of running an 8 core.

8 minutes ago, pas008 said:

lol so intel just upped and dropped their boost tables?

and waterblock clearly on cpu?

dont blame the messenger when intel only stated 28 core and cascade lake x as confirmation?

seriously now how can you jump to anything else

ok then lol

Listen, I'm in the market for a PC (CPU) upgrade later this year and I go for enthusiast parts.

But the way Intel is behaving by demoing a Xeon chip as that clearly was not a new chip, then fail to mention it was overclocked suggests to me that I might need to take my money over to AMD.

As frankly why would I was my money on a company/chipset that isn't as good as claimed or - worse isn't as claimed.