[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2
On 10/4/2018 at 9:56 PM, TechyBen said:

Are they not adding automatic space reclamation with this/last update? Could it be deleting old files (or whatever) in error? Trying to "upload" them to the cloud, and deleting without checking if the user even has a cloud. XD

[Watches Wan Show]

Ah, so it is the OneDrive automatic thingy failing massively! ?

19 hours ago, Drak3 said:

https://docs.kali.org/introduction/what-is-kali-linux

Kali is Debian DERIVED, and the official version is only handled by a small group of trusted developers. The core OS is open source.

OSX is similar. The base of OSX is Darwin, completely open source. The difference is that services and built in programs are proprietary.

1) You have not given a single reason for why, as you said, Kali is more locked down than Windows. Even if you were right that Kali isn't open source, that still doesn't mean it is more locked down than Windows. 

2) It seems to me like you don't know much about how GNU/Linux works. Ubuntu is Debian derived as well. What that means is that they take Debian, make some tweaks like which kernel modules are included, which software comes pre-installed, which repos the packet manager points at and so on. Kali is open source. The OS is. What isn't open source are some of the tools which Kali includes. 

It is entirely possible to install Kali and remove every single closed source thing if so desired. It is also entirely possible to change every single part of Kali to the point where it becomes Ubuntu, down to the last byte. 

So please tell me what limitations Kali has which makes you say it is more "locked down" than Windows. 

I also want to know why you put closed source in quotation marks, or how I am wrong when I say you can turn Kali into a replica of Ubuntu by changing essentially every single thing about Kali.

Unlike Windows, Linux is very modular, and all the changes the Kali developers have made to Debian when the made Kali can be reversed by the user. In fact, you can change any Linux distro into any other one if you so desire. You just need to do some (or lots) of tweaking. But since GNU/Linux isn't locked down like Windows, it is entirely possible to do. 

Funny because it was absolutely predictable. Every single big update for windows 10 has been cancer for a lot of people.

I posted about it just a few days.

Every time they are to be released i stop updates.

MS is so going wrong with this W10 forever with updates.

14 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Funny because it was absolutely predictable. Every single big update for windows 10 has been cancer for a lot of people.

> pay top $$$ for computer hardware 

> has to deal with eternal beta state software OS cause fuck having a proper testing or Q&A team 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

30 minutes ago, asus killer said:

The use on "cancer" is not needed. Ask a cancer survivor what he/she feels about you throwing that word around like if it was nothing, and see what answer you'll get.

That said:

Windows updates (any version) has people report problems. From Service Packs, to OS upgrades. Check this very same forum as a starting place.

The issue affects all OSs.The more the OS gets complicated, and the more you have an OS for a variety of system configuration (hardware, software and driver), the more you have chances of problems.

Microsoft has their developers testing their stuff, they have a Q&A team, they have labs to tests, they have what the company calls "dog feeding", that is, MS employees run their main software that they are working on, despite alpha or beta stage, so that they can detect/report/fix issues. And they have an internal beta testing programs that others test beta software from other teams within the company, and then you have the multi-ring Insider program. And through the whole flow, the millions of PC that the OS got through, this issue got missed.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The use on "cancer" is not needed. Ask a cancer survivor what he/she feels about you throwing that word around like if it was nothing, and see what a

Getting offended at a general Internet term used to define basically everything?

have we reached a new low?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Windows 10 build 1809 has ray tracing.

A) Ray tracing over data loss

or

B) Keep data over ray tracing

Hmm...

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

22 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Windows 10 build 1809 has ray tracing.

A) Ray tracing over data loss

or

B) Keep data over ray tracing

Hmm...

When you look back at your life, how much of your data do you want to not have been raytraced?

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The use on "cancer" is not needed. Ask a cancer survivor what he/she feels about you throwing that word around like if it was nothing, and see what answer you'll get.

Cancer: a part of a host body that multiplies rapidly and uncontrollably with no regard for the host body's wellbeing.

That actually describes Windows Updates on Windows 10 pretty well. I personally don't mind the idea of forcing users to do updates for their own good, but it's gotten more than a little out of hand over the past couple years.

7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

When you look back at your life, how much of your data do you want to not have been raytraced?

Tom's motto to ray tracing, #justbuyit

Microsoft motto to ray tracing #justugpradeit

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Ah W10, it continues to entertain me from a distance.

Ill stick with W7 thanks, keep on top of updates and its a good OS. W10 is sh*t from the ground up though so yea..you really have to go ham on that OS to get it somewhat servicable..... 3rd party pograms ..command prompt configators and uninstallers ...so much hassle... and now it deletes your sh*t !

W10 .."it knows whats best for you"

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I edited the registry to set Windows to only DOWNLOAD updates and NEVER install unless I click on update...

I did this because it would download updates, then install them and then shutdown my computer while in the middle of working on a project and take a long time for it to come back up... Or, it'd display a notification to restart now or later and NOW is selected by default and it appears while typing instead of waiting until the user hasn't typed or switched windows or something for a moment ... So you hit spacebar while typing and your computer shuts off and all your work is gone... 

This is why I did that, and I'm glad because it saves me from stuff like this..

I really like Windows 10 too... I loved XP, then Windows 7 and now Windows 10.. I preferred Windows 7 because it uses so much less in terms of resources compared to 10, but I like some of the features and the cleaner UI on 10. I also like the start menu, but I don't like the buggy taskbar ( XP, 7, and 10 all have the bug with the quick-launch where if you have a 2 unit high taskbar you can't get the full 3 rows on the quick-launch unless you move your taskbar to the left, and without releasing the drag, drag it back to the top or bottom and then you have the 3 rows.... )... I have reported it so many times, and it has never been fixed...

I have also stopped using Google Chrome because, for a few web-pages up, it uses GIGABYTES of memory, it's insane.. I still have an XP machine in the house and Chrome on that uses next to nothing ( the 32 bit version uses very little ) but on 64 bit, gigabytes for blank pages and, no, I don't have any garbage addons... Only a few, and some I work on myself.

57 minutes ago, Acecool said:

I edited the registry to set Windows to only DOWNLOAD updates and NEVER install unless I click on update...

I did this because it would download updates, then install them and then shutdown my computer while in the middle of working on a project and take a long time for it to come back up... Or, it'd display a notification to restart now or later and NOW is selected by default and it appears while typing instead of waiting until the user hasn't typed or switched windows or something for a moment ... So you hit spacebar while typing and your computer shuts off and all your work is gone... 

This is why I did that, and I'm glad because it saves me from stuff like this..

Start > Settings > Update & Security > Windows  Updates > Advanced options.

The option is there.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

The option is there.

Apparently that's only an option on Pro or higher, not Home.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Me watching yet another Windows 10 shit show from Windows 7:

blinds.jpg.144fe4407d95e8fdf91396be90f33da0.jpg

Spoiler

(Then I remember that 2020 is coming quick and then I get sad.)

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

Haha! I got Time Machine working again! I can be smug about Windows 10 again :ph34r:

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 hour ago, GoodBytes said:

Update:

Microsoft setup free support line for anyone affected by the issue:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4464619/windows-10-update-history

The company says that it has tools in hands to help recover all or most of the data.

Well that's assuming you now trust them... I'd try TestDisk or alike program first. As long as the sectors where not written over recovery only takes as long as copy & pasting the files to another drive.

https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Top kek:

image.thumb.png.5a2b1bb83104233ddf0366eccdae404e.png

Luckily so far no problems. And I still have 1809 on my installation USB.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 10/4/2018 at 1:09 PM, asus killer said:

How dont you test something before a rollout to everyone and with a "bug" as serious as this?

I cant believe this was ever possible. This is pure and simple incompetence, people should sue their asses for all their money.

Microsoft is no longer capable of testing for quality, having fired all their Windows testing engineers to dump the job of testing onto Windows owners.

July 2014: Satya Nadella Is Cutting 5,500 Microsoft Employees, Too, With Windows Hit The Hardest

August 2014: Why did Microsoft lay off 'Programmatic testers'?

January 2017: About 700 Microsoft employees will be laid off next week, sources say

July 2017: Microsoft plans thousands of job cuts in a sales staff overhaul to fuel cloud growth

January 2018: Microsoft makes a new round of layoffs across multiple business units

March 2017: Microsoft claims 10 million ‘fans’ help it test Windows 10, but it’s sure got a funny definition of that word

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

The option is there.

Actually, it only lets you set up a 30 day delay for security, or 365 for features...

My registry edit covers ALL updates - it downloads but doesn't install unless I press the button...

25 minutes ago, Acecool said:

My registry edit

I can't help but be amazed about how Windows users nowadays need to resort to all kinds of registry edits and third-party tools just to make their OS reliable and to prevent it from destroying itself or their data, then dig through several control panels and menus to change a bunch of unclearly named settings to get rid of tracking and advertising ... only to have to check everything again whenever there's an update.  Seriously mind-boggling. 

Why do people just accept this instead of kicking that piece of s**t software to the curb?