[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2

Good thing I'm safe from this retardation.

image.png.6cfddad83fbddd980e44eb53a68c6ccd.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

At least you can make a backup in Windows 10 T.T 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

20 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

I just don't understand why people do not create backups of their files... I have 3 backups of all my PCs, one on external drive, on my owncloud here at my home, and another one on the cloud..

It's easy to make multiple backups when you don't have that much data.

However, I for example have over 7TB of files. 

OneDrive doesn't even offer that much storage, and if I go with for example Google it will cost me 100 dollars a month.

I keep multiple copies of my most valuable data, but there are a ton of files which I don't have backed up.

Checked the files and the seem to all still be there.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Many people have problems with things like drivers and programs and attribute it to Windows. These problems tend to not happen as much on Unix or Linux because of two reasons:

1. The OS is relatively locked down, such as OSX and Kali Linux
  2. The lack of equivalent programs and drivers because developers don't care (and these operating systems aren't really worth caring about).

1. Kali linux is not a desktop OS and Kali shoves it down your throat to not install it or use it as a desktop

2. Drivers a way more of a problem on Linux....you cant convince anyone that windows drivers are worse. 

Linux is on all of my PCs except my gaming PC and my Surface GO. I use it more for security. So I work on Win 10 8-10hours a day and Linux 4-5 hours a day. 

I have far more issue with Linux and their drivers and its stability. Most drivers you have to configure the fuck out of it manually before its remotely stable but no where near plug and play as Windows. 

So no, Linux desktop is far from stable and updates break a fuck ton more. There has been what 3 kernal updates in the past months preventing the OS from booting at all? Windows is solid but no one looks are how many devices its EXPECTED to support and have zero issues, they just bitch.

31 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I still dont understand why people think it cant be a main OS.... Its still rock solid.

It annoys me too much. The desktop experience is still super buggy.

She/Her

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Kali linux is not a desktop OS and Kali shoves it down your throat to not install it or use it as a desktop

By design, it's not, but it's rather easy to use it as such.

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Drivers a way more of a problem on Linux....you cant convince anyone that windows drivers are worse

Drivers on Linux also do less than they do in Windows, and Linux lags on the new feature front. Many new features in Windows seem to have issues with drivers that didn't have these exact features in mind.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

It annoys me too much. The desktop experience is still super buggy.

Whats buggy? 

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Linux lags on the new feature front

Didnt realize trackpads, media controls and speakers are on the bleeding edge of features. Has nothing to do with lagging behind. There are still known bugs with every install and requires bandaids to get it working properly. 

18 hours ago, TheKDub said:

And this is why I don't update Windows anymore.

I hope you're not running Windows 10 then, because support for individual versions ends 18 months after their release, making your system both vulnerable and outdated. I'm not saying Windows Update is great, it's really not, but there's already software and drivers being released that don't support anything before 1703 anymore.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

So, I have been doing some reading, and it looks like the account is actually deleted (update: conflicting reports on this). Background and such might appear from your account as those are sync with your Microsoft account. What I find the most interesting is that there is nothing of this on the Insider program. I guess there is a bug on the, now, previous release, that reacts with the update of this version, but it only affects some users with some configuration which isn't clear what it is (as of yet).

It has been suggested that the GPO "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of days on system restart" (under: Administrative Templates > System > User Profiles)  is kicking in and ignoring the days, and just delete it. To avoid not kicking it in, you need to set it to Disable. That said, I don't know if it is an actual fix or just being thrown up as a possible solution... can't get a clear answer.

Also, it does affect Home edition of Windows 10... and those don't have the GPO panel...

38 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I still dont understand why people think it cant be a main OS.... Its still rock solid.

It's not about the stability, it's about the telemetry, the forced upgrades, the game-breaking bugs (and I'm not talking about video games either), the moralistic stance (or glaring lack thereof) of the company that created it, and so forth.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Whats buggy? 

Ok. Calm down... no one will do a write up. You can search the web, and they are many reported issues.

I know it doesn't give much weight to anything, so take it as it is, but It is part of the reasons why, at work, which we work with Linux, we use WSL in Windows 10, from VMs, and our servers which runs the product we work on, are deeply tested, and never updated from that point on (doesn't access the web). The team can give us a run down of all known issues and there is a decision made on if we should upgrade to fix some bugs at the chance of introducing new ones to our platform, or live with the bugs. We know what they are and work around it, if it does affect us. This model is not new or special.

I am not saying that Linux (based OS) is terrible, but it is not this pinnacle of perfection OS, not by a very long shot, like Windows. Both have their issues, both have their design choice drawbacks, both excel at what they are designed/focused on, etc. Grass is not greener on the other side.

Now, you can say: "But I never had any problems", and that is fine. I never had problems on Windows 10 either, and so many other users here, if not most people too at a global level.

45 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Many people have problems with things like drivers and programs and attribute it to Windows. These problems tend to not happen as much on Unix or Linux because of two reasons:

1. The OS is relatively locked down, such as OSX and Kali Linux
  2. The lack of equivalent programs and drivers because developers don't care (and these operating systems aren't really worth caring about).

Am I reading your post wrong or did you just say Linux is more locked down than Windows? If that's what you meant, then you're very, very wrong. 

Even MacOS is less locked down than Windows. 

This sort of thing makes me happy that I switched to Gentoo Linux. :)

Just now, LAwLz said:

Am I reading your post wrong or did you just say Linux is more locked down than Windows? If that's what you meant, then you're very, very wrong. 

Kali Linux is. It's "Open source" amongst trusted individuals, and designed for a specific task set.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

Kali Linux is. It's "Open source" amongst trusted individuals, and designed for a specific task set.

Kali Linux is meant as a penetration testing tool. It is not really marketed as a general purpose operating system.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

telemetry

Ubuntu is doing

OSX IS doing regardless what people think, just doesnt leave Apples servers

Other than the bullshit keylogger, people over blow telemetry.

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

the forced upgrades

Well make up your mind. People bitched for years that Windows is unsecure so they forced updates to keep it as secure as possible but people still bitch. 

I agree 100% forcing updates. 

13 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

game-breaking bugs

What game breaking bugs? What about Linux kernals preventing boot? What about OSX allowing root no password and now backups are corrupt? 

Bottom line is shit happens but the scale that Windows is, I am actually surprised how well it works with millions of combinations of hardware and install software. 

Just now, ryao said:

Kali Linux is meant as a penetration testing tool. It is not really marketed as a general purpose operating system.

What's your point? Kali is still an operating system and fairly locked down.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

2 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Please explain to me how Kali is more locked down than Windows. 

Not sure why you put open source in quotations by the way. Kali is based on Debian and while it has some closed source programs bundled with it, the core OS is open source. 

Kali is basically just a tweaked Ubuntu with pen-testing tools pre-installed. 

Good thing i have all of my files on my 2nd hard drive rather than my boot drive, still i need to get a re-placement cable for my 1tb portable HDD

Just now, LAwLz said:

Kali is based on Debian and while it has some closed source programs bundled with it, the core OS is open source. 

Just like OSX.

3 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Kali is basically just a tweaked Ubuntu with pen-testing tools pre-installed

No, it's not. Kali is a purpose driven distro that cuts alot from the base OS and uses proprietary components to achieve an end goal.

Just like OSX.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Ok. Calm down... no one will do a write up. You can search the web, and they are many reported issues.

I am aware of the major bugs with updates, but saying its so buggy its unusable as a desktop is absurd. 

6 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I know it doesn't give much weight to anything, so take it as it is, but It is part of the reasons why, at work, which we work with Linux, we use WSL in Windows 10, from VMs, and our servers which runs the product we work on, are deeply tested, and never updated from that point on (doesn't access the web). The team can give us a run down of all known issues and there is a decision made on if we should upgrade to fix some bugs at the chance of introducing new ones to our platform, or live with the bugs. We know what they are and work around it, if it does affect us. This model is not new or special.

That approach is fine in some cases. But if these are VMs why not take a chance and snapshot and update? If its worse restore it in minute. But that shows that bugs will be relevant due to unseen factors. Is Windows able to test their update on your product? No, so can you blame them for being buggy?

Bugs happen in every OS no matter what. Windows is by far the best at handling the scale of devices, hardware and software.  

10 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I am not saying that Linux (based OS) is terrible, but it is not this pinnacle of perfection OS, not by a very long shot, like Windows. Both have their issues, both have their design choice drawbacks, both excel at what they are designed/focused on, etc. Grass is not greener on the other side.

Its not bad at all. Like I said, I run in on almost all my PCs at home. Its worse with driver support for sure, but its better with security. Both have their ups and downs. 

11 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Now, you can say: "But I never had any problems", and that is fine. I never had problems on Windows 10 either, and so many other users here, if not most people too at a global level.

I never had problems but I also had minimum problems at my last job with 1500 Windows 10 machines 2 years ago (I was a sysadmin). 

Yes its seem like many many people have issues but put scale into perspective and its actually not as bad as people make it out to be.

6 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Just like OSX.

No, it's not. Kali is a purpose driven distro that cuts alot from the base OS and uses proprietary components to achieve an end goal.

Just like OSX.

I run Gentoo Linux. Have fun criticizing that as being locked down. It is the most open source friendly OS in existence. You get all of the source code that the developers have. :P

4 minutes ago, ryao said:

I run Gentoo Linux

Irrelevant. I'm talking specifically about Kali Linux.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.