[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2
9 minutes ago, asus killer said:

Linus was something like 1% of market share, any other market and no one would even care about something with 1% market share. Pointless to be saying Linux is a viable alternative when it exits for ages now and nobody cares

Linus has 100% market share on socks and sandals, and Linux has well over 75% of web servers on the alexa top 10 million list, and like 95% of the top million. In fact, Linux is basically dominant on anything that's not end user. 
It runs everything. So people care. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Linux has well over 75% of web servers on the alexa top 10 million list, and like 95% of the top million. In fact, Linux is basically dominant on anything that's not end user. 
It runs everything. So people care. 

The issue with "Linux has over 75% of web servers" thing is that those are heavily modified variants made exclusively for internal use for and by a few large companies, where using other operating systems run into two issues: modification and cost.

Outside of companies like Amazon, Google, and web hosts running thousands of servers, Linux isn't cared about either. They like it because it's free and easy to modify.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

16 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Linux is basically dominant on anything that's not end user. 

real facts are not counter argued with other real facts. Linux market share is around 1%, no one cares. Saying "anything that's not end user" just proves my point.

Linux is better, cheaper, safer, quicker, better at privacy, and the end result is no one cares. Just think about this equation for a moment...  it's not a viable alternative period. I'm not debating why, just stating the obvious people don't care, don't change.

Just now, Drak3 said:

The issue with "Linux has over 75% of web servers" thing is that those are heavily modified variants made exclusively for internal use for and by a few large companies, where using other operating systems run into two issues: modification and cost.

Outside of companies like Amazon, Google, and web hosts running thousands of servers, Linux isn't cared about either. They like it because it's free and easy to modify.

top...10 million...sites....the fuck. Do you have any idea how easy it is to get into the alexa million, let alone 10 million? Fuck ltt is like 4,500 last I checked. You have to be a site with little or no traffic to not make it into the million, and the 10 million you'd have to basically not be indexed. 

And yes, it's cared about because everyone uses it, even small use cases. And of course they are "heavily modified" that's the god damn point! 

Almost every project I've worked on was pretty much lamp stack on linux or more recently nginx....on linux. Fuck I even see a lot of ASP .NET stuff on mod mono for apache on linux.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

10 minutes ago, asus killer said:

real facts are not counter argued with other real facts. Linux market share is around 1%, no one cares. Saying "anything that's not end user" just proves my point.

Linux is better, cheaper, safer, quicker, better at privacy, and the end result is no one cares. Just think about this equation for a moment...  it's not a viable alternative period. I'm not debating why, just stating the obvious people don't care, don't change.

"no one cares" is a hell of a way of putting it when the net is built on it. People care, just not people not into tech. And it's over 2% now, 1/4 creeping up to a third of the mac market share size, though people running it are definitely developers/enthusiasts not normal end users. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I must be in a distinct minority that *never* has any problems with Windows 10 and its feature updates. The worst thing I ever encountered was that my default programs have to be set again for various file types, but that takes maybe 3 minutes.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

They are not heavily modified variants, just jam packed with custom software. Backbone is still the same. 

But yes, outside enterprise linux is still a tiny community. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

They like it because it's free and easy to modify.

Free to use but linux support cost a shit tons of $$$. To large enterprises, cost is not much of an issue but security and features are more important so linux dominates the server space. 

3 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

Free to use but linux support cost a shit tons of $$$

Most cases the 2-3 engineers are more expensive to employ than a single windows sysadmin and a license

Microsoft lost the "war" on web servers and data centers OS. This is because Microsoft never tried in the first place, hence the quotes on the word: war. They missed the boat with Windows Server in that area, due to lack of vision and courage. Windows doesn't have the flexibility and power that Linux has on that space. That is why Linux is used. It is not because it is free, it is not because it is better desktop OS, it is not because most people like it, it is not because "it is more secure". That is the reality of things. Microsoft acknowledged this as one of the many missed opportunities during Ballmer era of the company (some of those things are: consumer oriented smartphones, premium smartphones, tablets, Voice Assistance (despite being one of the firsts right after Apple/Nuance), eReaders, Game marketplace, smart watches (despite being first), MP3 Player, Search (although that was partially under Bill Gates as well) and probably missing a few other ones),

Linux is great at those things as its origin made it, by default, ideal for server environment, as its roots is from Unix, in a way.  This is the same effect that Apple has with developers. Developers need Linux/Unix, but hates Linux/Unix as their desktop environment, so they get an Apple computer. And that is why they are popular, that is why startups get those. Developers can setup the Unix/Linux back-end that they have locally, and can develop locally on the system as OSX/MacOS runs on Unix. No VM needed. Under Windows, you needed VMs... that means you don't have access to the full resources of the system when you code. That is why Microsoft made and is pushing WSL, as to bring back developers to its platform. It is slowly working, as WSL gets better and better, but Microsoft has to continue, else they'll lose this. Already big IDEs like CLion support WSL, allowing you to compile and debug code under Linux (under WSL), but stay in the Windows environment. And nearly all the big distro are available and the install process is really easy and fast.

1 hour ago, mrthuvi said:

To large enterprises, cost is not much of an issue but security and features

No, it's down to cost. Linux's largest redeeming factor is the fact that it's free.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's down to cost. Linux's largest redeeming factor is the fact that it's free.

No. Companies always pay for support. They need instant help if something goes wrong to minimize service down time. They pay a lot of money for this service... a service that they may not use, but need to pay each year, just in case.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

I specifically said large enterprises which I happen to know some pay ludicrous amount to red hat or others for 24/7 professional linux support. The cost of which is, however, insignificant to any down time to their businesses. 

9 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

"no one cares" is a hell of a way of putting it when the net is built on it. People care, just not people not into tech. And it's over 2% now, 1/4 creeping up to a third of the mac market share size, though people running it are definitely developers/enthusiasts not normal end users. 

last i checked it was under 2%. That's absolutely irrelevant, not even all tech people use it as you can easily see if you ask here.

I like Linus but the facts are the facts.

5 minutes ago, asus killer said:

last i checked it was under 2%. That's absolutely irrelevant, not even all tech people use it as you can easily see if you ask here.

Well, the more people use different operating systems, the better as there has to be a balance and a little bit of diversity in the OS community. If software becomes more universal than what it is right now, the better it is for the people and developers. Plus, numbers aren't always really the accurate description of usage anyway. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

I used the Win10 iso downloader available here to create my iso image that I used to upgrade my system. No problems here. This was then loaded onto a stick with Rufus and I launched the installer from there.

16 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

You'd be surprised how far you can get in windows with minimal knowledge. 

tell that to my grandma. she gets annoyed because mail will disappear from the taskbar after a while on her laptop, and then she can't find it again. 

She/Her

3 hours ago, Master Delta Chief said:

Well, the more people use different operating systems, the better as there has to be a balance and a little bit of diversity in the OS community. If software becomes more universal than what it is right now, the better it is for the people and developers. Plus, numbers aren't always really the accurate description of usage anyway

you can actually very easily know what OS people are using as long as you don't stay offline. I agree with you people should use Linux more but that's not the point, what i'm saying is that no one does and it's not like Linux is a recent thing. It's not an alternative to MS for the majority of users, and we are not talking about non tech people, even tech people most is on Windows, there's no escaping this fact.

4 minutes ago, asus killer said:

you can actually very easily know what OS people are using as long as you don't stay offline. I agree with you people should use Linux more but that's not the point, what i'm saying is that no one does and it's not like Linux is a recent thing. It's not an alternative to MS for the majority of users, and we are not talking about non tech people, even tech people most is on Windows, there's no escaping this fact.

You keep making those sweeping general statements like "nobody does*. Linux marketshare is ~ 1/7th-1/4 the size of the Mac Marketshare depending where you get your statistics. Is the Mac market something "irrelevant"? Is it something "nobody cares about"?

You say that stats are easy to get but they're actually really not. Most of these services for measuring marketshare rely on tools embedded in popular websites and dns servers to measure web access. The problem with that? A lot of machines, more heavily weighted towards Linux, don't access those web services. Current Linux users are more likely to avoid popular services with trackers in them like Google, Facebook, Google Plus, Spotify, etc. Current users are also far more likely to use Linux in machines which don't access web services, things like media consoles and set top boxes. Current Linux users are also *far* more likely to use tools that hide their useragent or block trackers altogether.

Ultimately the market share numbers for OSes isn't super representative of real usage. Because of how Windows machines typically get used and the number of legacy systems that still exist in use they're over represented. I'm not saying that Linux is a massively used platform, it's not, but just do note that the marketshare numbers on statista or wherever you go aren't super accurate.

7 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

You keep making those sweeping general statements like "nobody does*. Linux marketshare is ~ 1/7th-1/4 the size of the Mac Marketshare depending where you get your statistics. Is the Mac market something "irrelevant"? Is it something "nobody cares about"?

You say that stats are easy to get but they're actually really not. Most of these services for measuring marketshare rely on tools embedded in popular websites and dns servers to measure web access. The problem with that? A lot of machines, more heavily weighted towards Linux, don't access those web services. Current Linux users are more likely to avoid popular services with trackers in them like Google, Facebook, Google Plus, Spotify, etc. Current users are also far more likely to use Linux in machines which don't access web services, things like media consoles and set top boxes. Current Linux users are also *far* more likely to use tools that hide their useragent or block trackers altogether.

Ultimately the market share numbers for OSes isn't super representative of real usage. Because of how Windows machines typically get used and the number of legacy systems that still exist in use they're over represented. I'm not saying that Linux is a massively used platform, it's not, but just do note that the marketshare numbers on statistics or wherever you go aren't super accurate.

i'm not going to discuss with you how accurate or how they are measured. But when everyone with different data and collection methods reports about the same %'s it's hard to see where so many people are wrong and unsubstantiated claims are right.

But true server and any other specif case, computers that never go online, etc... but not for the original point, if you are going there loosing files in "photos" folder is not really a thing, neither are fall updates

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

tell that to my grandma. she gets annoyed because mail will disappear from the taskbar after a while on her laptop, and then she can't find it again. 

well I more mean they learn how to do a lot of things, complex things even, but they still dont know why they do what they do. Mostly referring to people with computer related jobs. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 hours ago, asus killer said:

Yes facts are facts, and it runs nearly everything important by a very large margin, so no one cares is not accurate. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Version 1809 is an insider (beta) version of Windows. So you don't have to worry if you're not on the insider program. If you in the insider program, well this is what we get for being the guinea pig.