[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2

image.png.d825afaf9b6d0c5cf4ed85ef807f493f.png

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

At least you can make a backup in Windows 10 T.T 

xD true, but honestly I think this is worse than the Time Machine issue.  Not being able to backup is a serious problem, but deleting files that were on the machine is worse.  There's a greater risk of losing files, regardless of if you have a backup, and if you don't, this would be devastating.  I guess this is what we can expect from a company with no testing or QC department

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Shit.  I literally ran the update last night before I shut down my computer.  Hopefully I don't come home to deleted files, that's going to be a rough on.  I've been putting off building my NAS.  Go figure...

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

On 10/4/2018 at 12:07 PM, Abdul201588 said:

I just don't understand why people do not create backups of their files... I have 3 backups of all my PCs, one on external drive, on my owncloud here at my home, and another one on the cloud..

Because they don't understand the risk, or are too lazy, or don't know how to make a backup.  I hope for peoples' sake though that it's not common behaviour to run without one, but I fear that it is in fact by far the norm.

23 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not everyone needs backups first of all and second most dont know better.

If you have data you don't want to lose, you do need one.  And if you don't mind losing it, why are you bothering to store it in the first place?

If any of my grandparents drives dies they just expect to fix it, the concept of it being lost forever isnt a thing. 

Yeah I think education (or lack thereof) is probably the most common reason why people don't back things up.  They don't realize that data loss due to any number of reasons is a real possibility for some reason.

23 hours ago, BuckGup said:

You would need to be able to afford 3X the storage so your 3TB drive turns into a 9TB.

If you can't afford to back it up you can't afford to store it.

23 hours ago, GFuelBoi said:

not everyone can afford 3 hard drives or multiple cloud services to back your stuff up. And is this how you will defend microsoft? This should not be a problem, there is no "well doesn't everyone have 99999 petabytes of storage to back up their stuff onto a million different services or external drives"

xD recommending that people have backups is in no way a defence of Microsoft, it's just common sense.  I can understand the people who aren't tech savvy and through no fault of their own run dangerous situations all the time, but anyone who is fully aware of how things work and the ways one can lose data and still chooses not to back it up, you're just asking to lose it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you have data you don't want to lose, you do need one.  And if you don't mind losing it, why are you bothering to store it in the first place?

Thats my point. I could have my PC catch fire and I would lose nothing. Emails, photos, onedrive, gdrive...all services very common to most people with little stored on their PC. Most dont need backups, not saying they shouldnt. 

11 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yeah I think education (or lack thereof) is probably the most common reason why people don't back things up.  They don't realize that data loss due to any number of reasons is a real possibility for some reason.

It is lack of education or ignorance. 

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

Thats my point. I could have my PC catch fire and I would lose nothing. Emails, photos, onedrive, gdrive...all services very common to most people with little stored on their PC. Most dont need backups, not saying they shouldnt.

Well I'd count those as backups :P  So it's not that they don't need them, they have just become common without people realizing it, which is great.

True, backups are important and everyone should make regular ones, preferably having several of them in case they later find out that a file somehow got corrupted months ago without them noticing it at that point in time. 

That doesn't excuse this kind of nonsense though. 

17 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

1. That poor guy had 23 years of files an no backup?
2. If he didn't touch anything, and immediately pulled the drive someone could have recovered the files for him so long as nothing was written over their spaces in the drive. 

Those 2 things aside, this is fucking unacceptable from a platform that practically forces updates and upgrades. The fact that they've gotten rid of their QA team just speaks to the sheer arrogance of MS, and how little they give a fuck about the end user experience since they've made consumers the testers for later LTSB updates. 

Don't know if anyone else pointed it out, but the article says:

"Fortunately, he did back up his system two months ago and was able to restore those deleted files, but lost everything since that snapshot. Rolling back to an earlier build also did not restore the deleted files."

13 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Because they don't understand the risk, or are too lazy, or don't know how to make a backup.  I hope for peoples' sake though that it's not common behaviour to run without one, but I fear that it is in fact by far the norm.

The percentage of computer users that visit tech forums and read related tech articles to see it advised that they have backups of their PCs is surely minuscule. Also, a huge number of PCs are not of a value where it would seem economically proportionate that storage space for a full backup would be invested in.

I'm sure that backing up their systems is not a thought that's been considered for a huge amount of computer owners. Windows updates should take that certain fact into consideration (not that WU should be jeopardizing any Windows owner PCs by using them as test subjects, anyway).

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 hours ago, mynameisjuan said:

Switch to macOS? I mean there is more you can do to show Microsoft you're pissed then not update.

Not enough program/game support for me to Hackintosh or run Linux on my main PC.

Not updating isn't specifically me saying "fuck you" to Microsoft, it's me avoiding all the BS cortana integration and useless garbage they add in. What I have now works fine, so I don't see much point in changing that.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

i've justy checked, and my files are still there. i barely have any on my Windows 10 machine because i only use it for games, but yeah. savegames and stuff are still here. 

She/Her

Just made damn sure mine is disabled.

Fucking Microsoft.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Some Update:

Microsoft says that only those who request for update were getting the October Update.

The general availability of the update was set to be October 9th.

Microsoft is investing the issue.

A spokesperson for Microsoft tells Business Insider that the company is investigating the claims. It also points out that generally speaking, only advanced users will have installed the update — Windows 10 PCs won’t start prompting people to install the update on their PCs until October 9th, meaning that anybody who already has the update has actively sought it out. 

http://uk.businessinsider.com/windows-10-october-update-deleted-files-battery-2018-10

I am also continuing to read online a mixture of (beside: no issues with the update).

• Files are gone, but they are really on a temp account, and so the files are still there
  • Files are really gone
  • Files are partially gone (1 or a few files only) (no info is they are on a temp account or not).

Seems like many of the affected people restore their data from backup. A big problem that annoys me is the lack of replies to valuable questions to those that says that they are affected are asked. Still looking...

So now that it is Friday, and have some free time, I wanted to update my mother's computer and my Netflix box to the October Update (with the hope to face the issue so that I can investigate). I can't. I mean, Windows Update says that I have the latest version and the Update Assistance also says that I am on the latest version, which isn't the case. So it looks like, at some point in time, Microsoft pulled the update completely.

8 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So it looks like, at some point in time, Microsoft pulled the update completely.

Does it mean I'm good? Unfortunately this laptop has W10 Home. ☹️

Screenshot (356).png

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

21 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

So now that it is Friday, and have some free time, I wanted to update my mother's computer and my Netflix box to the October Update (with the hope to face the issue so that I can investigate). I can't. I mean, Windows Update says that I have the latest version and the Update Assistance also says that I am on the latest version, which isn't the case. So it looks like, at some point in time, Microsoft pulled the update completely.

Can confirm, at least on my rig, that 1809 is not available.

BGnnD.png

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

41 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Does it mean I'm good? Unfortunately this laptop has W10 Home. ☹️

Yes you are good. You need to manually check for updates (even if it was available, as the actual release was initially set to Oct 9th)

I've updated both my desktop and laptop to 1809. Not seeing any file loss, even on my laptop (which has documents, music and pictures and whatnot on the same drive as Windows). I think I dodged a bullet here.

1 minute ago, VegetableStu said:

BURN.msi

we should have known this was too suspicious to not burn us one day xD

*has policies and registry edits in place to prevent updates from downloading or installing without consent*

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

hello

I just updated my computer, luckily no data lost whatsoever

I did reroute my personal folder from C:\ to D:\ 

And all the snowflakes that chastised my comments about this garbage operating system in the update thread crawled back into their holes....

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:40 PM, GoldenLag said:

good thing im that one guy who never has any problem with windows 10 regardless of how bad its supposed to be.

Its a good thing that you are down in the statistical noise..... 9_9

Edited by jagdtigger

4 minutes ago, Hellion said:

And all the snowflakes that chastised my comments about this garbage operating system in the update thread crawled back into their holes....

impressed that no one has come out yet saying that it's not MS's fault if people keep outdated files and it's only normal for the OS to delete them 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I am usually a late adopter of large updates. I'm really glad I didn't install this update. I don't even have OneDrive installed but I do have My Documents remapped to another drive so I could have been one of the unfortunate people to lose files...

There's no place like ~

Spoiler

Problems and solutions:

FreeNAS

Spoiler

Dell Server 11th gen

Spoiler

ESXI

Spoiler

does this affect other non-windows partitions? kinda scared to boot into windows rn

🙂