[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2
11 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. Kali is a purpose driven distro that cuts alot from the base OS and uses proprietary components to achieve an end goal.

Just like OSX.

hahaha....what? I can do anything on Kali I can do with Debian. Not a single thing is locked down.

23 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Ubuntu is doing

OSX IS doing regardless what people think, just doesnt leave Apples servers

Other than the bullshit keylogger, people over blow telemetry.

Strawman argument, Ubuntu does no such thing. Yes, they tried, and got so much blowback from it they stopped.

24 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Well make up your mind. People bitched for years that Windows is unsecure so they forced updates to keep it as secure as possible but people still bitch. 

I never said any such thing. Updates are always, always to be done at the user's request, never any other time. Period.

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

What game breaking bugs?

Are you trolling? Or just willfully ignorant? What's the topic of this thread about?

25 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

What about Linux kernals preventing boot? What about OSX allowing root no password and now backups are corrupt? 

Whataboutism strawman. We are discussing the glaring failings of windows, you want to talk about OSX and *nix, start a new thread.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Still waiting what kind of [hat]storm this update brings.

Yours truly:

A guy who managed to install the last update just few weeks ago because crypted HDD and "old" drivers (because if something is [hat] in Windows 10 it's that you can never ever trust automatic driver updates, it's way too happy to install not related drivers and [fight] everything up with installing drivers that are not recommended but just newer and then it can't find updates for half of the [hat] you have in your PC).

2 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I can do anything on Kali I can do with Debian

Not with a fresh, unmodified install. And if we're going that far, I can say the same of OSX.

6 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Not a single thing is locked down

It's locked down, but it can be unlocked with relative ease.

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

We are discussing the glaring failings of windows, you want to talk about OSX and *nix, start a new thread.

Why? The "glaring failings" of Windows also happens to ALL alternatives.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Strawman argument, Ubuntu does no such thing. Yes, they tried, and got so much blowback from it they stopped.

I never said any such thing. Updates are always, always to be done at the user's request, never any other time. Period.

Are you trolling? Or just willfully ignorant? What's the topic of this thread about?

Whataboutism strawman. We are discussing the glaring failings of windows, you want to talk about OSX and *nix, start a new thread.

You can claim stawman but your whole point was about the OS. If you complain about telemetry, updates, bugs, you switch to another OS. Plain an simple. 

Yeah you are talking about the failing of Windows in a windows thread, no shit, but people are so narrow sighted about other OSes there is no perspective her. Telemetry is a thing on all OSes and they will all push them more. Bugs will always be a thing, some minor, some fucked up. Updates are necessary and they stood by on forcing updates, nothing wrong with it. 

I am just defending the witch hunt against windows when its being tried for the same that other OS are just as guilty for.

This is really off topic given that this is supposed to be discussing Windows messing up. I don't see how Kali vs OSX has anything to do with that. Could you guys take that to another thread?

13 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

Updates are necessary and they stood by on forcing updates, nothing wrong with it.

When the forced updates break your OS/brick your system (yes, this has happened with past updates on Win10) it bloody well is.

Firing your QA staff and letting the users find the bugs is flat out unprofessional.

Windows 7 was a solved issue (the issue being a solid OS) and MS couldn't leave well enough alone, so they went full retard with Win8, dialed it back a bit, and then doubled down on the rampant idiocy with Win10.

I manage over a thousand systems that run some very sensitive gear, and *some* of our systems were force-ably upgraded to windows 10 (about 332 of them to be exact) and from that point onward, it's been issue after issue. Drivers are a huge problem. Incompatibilities where none existed before, our network is getting hammered by Win10's telemetry, and we're using the LTSB version, which is supposedly more quiet. It's bad enough we've had to institute a whole new set of firewall rules, and some rules have had to be relaxed because the damn OS won't run if it can't phone home for certain processes.

Win10 is a disaster from a privacy perspective. UI is questionable, and management is problematic. You want to use it? Be my guest, but don't for a second pretend it's the be-all-end-all of OSes, because it's not.

And for the record, I did switch to another OS. I've VM'd my entire Win7 and Win9 systems under Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, so I did indeed put my money where my mouth is.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

5 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

When the forced updates break your OS/brick your system (yes, this has happened with past updates on Win10) it bloody well is.

Firing your QA staff and letting the users find the bugs is flat out unprofessional.

Windows 7 was a solved issue (the issue being a solid OS) and MS couldn't leave well enough alone, so they went full retard with Win8, dialed it back a bit, and then doubled down on the rampant idiocy with Win10.

People (computer enthusiasts) think since the actual foundation of 8 is great it's a good windows. They customized it, and they loved it. 

No. It was a complete insult to business users from a functional standpoint. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1 minute ago, Syntaxvgm said:

People (computer enthusiasts) think since the actual foundation of 8 is great it's a good windows. They customized it, and they loved it. 

Agree 100%, some of the underlying technology, just as with win10, are great, but when you saddle it with stupidity, well therein lies the rub...

20 hours ago, Drak3 said:

This type of thing can, and has, happened to other platforms before.

but that cannot be an excuse to defend them. I shouldn't have to even have to deal with this, let alone be forced to do this update

1 minute ago, GFuelBoi said:

but that cannot be an excuse to defend them. I shouldn't have to even have to deal with this, let alone be forced to do this update

Microsoft should be held accountable for this is what im getting at. When the other guy said " this is why you back up your stuff", my problem is I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't need to do all this shit to make sure Microsoft doesn't delete all my games, photos, music... This shouldn't be a problem

6 minutes ago, GFuelBoi said:

Microsoft should be held accountable for this is what im getting at. When the other guy said " this is why you back up your stuff", my problem is I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't need to do all this shit to make sure Microsoft doesn't delete all my games, photos, music... This shouldn't be a problem

You realize that this is an unavoidable probability, right? A simple bad update or even a corrupted file can do this, and the ONLY way to ensure that things like this don't result in the unrecoverable deletion of data is to have multiple copies of said data.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You realize that this is an unavoidable probability, right? A simple bad update or even a corrupted file can do this, and the ONLY way to ensure that things like this don't result in the unrecoverable deletion of data is to have multiple copies of said data.

This is ignorance, they should make sure their updates are preformed correctly

3 minutes ago, GFuelBoi said:

That won't stop this type of thing from happening.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 hour ago, NelizMastr said:

I hope you're not running Windows 10 then, because support for individual versions ends 18 months after their release, making your system both vulnerable and outdated. I'm not saying Windows Update is great, it's really not, but there's already software and drivers being released that don't support anything before 1703 anymore.

I am on Windows 10, version 1607, and have no intent to update past there.

If that doesn't say how little I care about being supported by Microsoft, then I don't know what does.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Updated three PCs, no loss of files or issues so far.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

35 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

but don't for a second pretend it's the be-all-end-all of OSes, because it's not.

No where did I say that. I even wrote multiple times that ALL OSes have their problems. I was only defending that is its a usable desktop which for some moronic reason people think it is not.

29 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I actually love 8.1. Ran fucking great, no problems. 

8 minutes ago, GFuelBoi said:

And how do you supposed they do that? Essentially they need to test every hardware and its combinations, every piece of software to know it wont alter the update. They do test it, but unlike Apple who knows exactly the hardware its going to be on, its not as easy as 1,2,3. 

They can have beta testers but problems will still happen. Bugs are going to happen no matter what no matter the extent of testing. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

It ran great with classic shell. Dont know about windows 8.1 without it though.

This isn't the first time I've seen this happened. Seen it before, not just with Windows 10, but with older OS too dating back to Windows XP. The only times, I've seen this happened was when the system already had problems in the first place, where some virus had corrupted some system files and the user profile, where windows will always start with a temporary one. Repairing the user profile itself didn't work, and formatting isn't a option, so the only solution to this as to do a repair install or a in-place upgrade just like how some had done their Windows 10 upgrade with the Win10 media tool. The upgrade goes smoothly and when it's done, all files under that username goes missing, making as if they had just did a clean install.

So basically its

• Files disappearing does not happen on Windows 10, it happens on older OS going as far back as Windows XP
  • Viruses had infected or corrupted some system files, but windows will still start. During login in, it will just give a warning message, where it can be closed off, and the user can proceed to use their system normally as if nothing is wrong.
  • The user profile cannot be loaded no matter what and will always start with a temporary one. Trying the user profile fix does not work
  • Formatting isn't a option due to how the system was configured and the only option left was to do a repair install or in-place upgrade
  • After repair install or in-place upgrade is complete, all data under that the user's name goes missing.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

27 minutes ago, TheKDub said:

If that doesn't say how little I care about being supported by Microsoft, then I don't know what does.

Switch to macOS? I mean there is more you can do to show Microsoft you're pissed then not update.

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

Just like OSX.

In MacOS, the userland and other vital parts of the OS are closed source. That is not the case with Kali. Also, like I said before if you ask me MacOS is less closed down Windows. But I guess that depends on how you measure "openness". For example but being able to boot Windows from a file system other than NTFS as locked down. 

1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

No, it's not. Kali is a purpose driven distro that cuts alot from the base OS and uses proprietary components to achieve an end goal.

Just like OSX.

You do realize that Kali is just Debian with some tweaks and pre-installed programs, right? You can strip out every program and module if you want. You could make Kali exactly like Ubuntu if you so desire. 

38 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

This is exactly what im talking about. This is all PC enthusiasts see, but that was not the problem. 8 and 8.1 sure did offer a lot of performance improvements. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, I haven't seen it, but it looks like they may have stopped the rollout. I went to update my desktop this morning and doing a manual check for updates refused to yield an upgrade option. Tried rebooting and clearing the Windows update cache just in case. Not sure if it's related to this issue or not.

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

In MacOS, the userland and other vital parts of the OS are closed source. That is not the case with Kali. Also, like I said before if you ask me MacOS is less closed down Windows. But I guess that depends on how you measure "openness". For example but being able to boot Windows from a file system other than NTFS as locked down. 

You do realize that Kali is just Debian with some tweaks and pre-installed programs, right? You can strip out every program and module if you want. You could make Kali exactly like Ubuntu if you so desire. 

https://docs.kali.org/introduction/what-is-kali-linux

Kali is Debian DERIVED, and the official version is only handled by a small group of trusted developers. The core OS is open source.

OSX is similar. The base of OSX is Darwin, completely open source. The difference is that services and built in programs are proprietary.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.