[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2

I updated. On 8700K and only issue I had was that I had to reinstall my Nvidia driver (which I find is normal) because Windows 10 tends to override Nvidias driver with its own driver.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

And this is why I don't update Windows anymore.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

9 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

I have a feeling that user data isn't delete but rather a temp account has been created instead, and the files are still under: C:\Users\<original, normal, account name>\. I don't see why user files would be deleted as a result of an upgrade.

"Files were located at C:/Users/rober/Documents/. This location is still present, with no files. All files deleted."

This suggests the guy went through the Users/ folder and likely would have noticed a new user account.

No one has mentioned if the free space on disk changed (which would tell us if the files were moved or wiped), if it is indeed OneDrive then deletion is most likely.

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

good thing im that one guy who never has any problem with windows 10 regardless of how bad its supposed to be.

1. Create ISO
  2. Market as Windows 10 Stable (add RGB or GAMING tags if sales are poor)
  3. ???
  4. Profit

14 minutes ago, ScratchCat said:

This suggests the guy went through the Users/ folder and likely would have noticed a new user account.

No one has mentioned if the free space on disk changed (which would tell us if the files were moved or wiped), if it is indeed OneDrive then deletion is most likely.

Oh yea, missed that!

Good point!

Makes me think that maybe they did something very wrong or manually updated windows with the update tool and didn't select the right option to keep their data. That or a OneDrive issue.

If your data is really important, you should back it up more often that just every couple months. It's not hard to set a backup utility, like Acronis, to automatically delete older backups in order to gain some free space for newer backups.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Funny, I really never had any issues after the update. Only one is the Task Manager CPU usage bug so far.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

i thank god i disabled the windows update service and only manually update when it is safe to do so.

like hell i'm losing my save files for my games!!! (and other crap i have stored there)

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

This is why you never save anything important on the same drive as Windows.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

2 hours ago, LordOTaco said:

I remember a time with OSs where security updates were sent and you didn't have to worry about the OS breaking every other month. 

Press F to pay respects...

it still lives in my rig

not pressing F for the moment

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

29 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Makes me think that maybe they did something very wrong or manually updated windows with the update tool and didn't select the right option to keep their data. That or a OneDrive issue.

If your data is really important, you should back it up more often that just every couple months. It's not hard to set a backup utility, like Acronis, to automatically delete older backups in order to gain some free space for newer backups.

Are they not adding automatic space reclamation with this/last update? Could it be deleting old files (or whatever) in error? Trying to "upload" them to the cloud, and deleting without checking if the user even has a cloud. XD

9 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

This is why you never save anything important on the same drive as Windows.

Is that how it happened? I set all those user folder locations to my mass storage, off my main SSD. 

Either way that entire drive gets backed up weekly which includes those folders, so I'm good

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Anyone have brightness issues after the update, seems that brightness level at the highest level is dim.

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10

Welp, imma let my important stuff copy onto my external hdd overnight then. Got a SB2 so update coming soon I'd assume. (I still feel it's weird that "native" MS devices ain't in the first wave, but /shrug)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Hmm, my laptop appears to be fine, but I didn't have any of importance on here anyway (It's just my college note taking laptop). I love the forum for stuff like this though, I let my friends know about the issue and to back up before the update (better to be safe than sorry)

My desktop updated and all it did was bork my opencl.dll file so I had to reinstall my nVidia drivers so I could fold again. None of my files are gone and I do have my OneDrive linked to my laptop and desktop for file sharing purposes for school.

1. That poor guy had 23 years of files an no backup?
2. If he didn't touch anything, and immediately pulled the drive someone could have recovered the files for him so long as nothing was written over their spaces in the drive. 

Those 2 things aside, this is fucking unacceptable from a platform that practically forces updates and upgrades. The fact that they've gotten rid of their QA team just speaks to the sheer arrogance of MS, and how little they give a fuck about the end user experience since they've made consumers the testers for later LTSB updates. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

19 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

*Double checks to see if updater is disabled*

Yup, I'm safe from MS's BS...

No one is safe from anything on Windows 10 hahahaha

17 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I would like to wait for more information,

I have a feeling that user data isn't delete but rather a temp account has been created instead, and the files are still under: C:\Users\<original, normal, account name>\. I don't see why user files would be deleted as a result of an upgrade.

I am not saying that the creation of the temp account is normal either. It should not happen. All I am saying is that: I am curious.

Could be an error, i updated using an ISO an during an ISO upgrade you are asked if you want to keep files or clean install, maybe something similar happened to the Updated downloaded, i dont remember if previous updates asked to clean install or keep files, but in general it leaves the system untouched, maybe a few settings changed.

Anyway computers are unreliable machines the more complex the software is, and Windows has too much legacy code inside of it + crappy programmers MS hires nowdays.

17 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

good thing im that one guy who never has any problem with windows 10 regardless of how bad its supposed to be.

I started out liking 10 and through many computers on it I got pounded into hating it and using LTSB. 
I wanna quote something I posted in another 10 topic about my experience and why I think some people have problems while others dont 

On 9/25/2018 at 9:32 AM, Syntaxvgm said:

I have to disagree. I've talked before about the split experience on 10- how ms seems to be gas lighting people by rolling out certain things to small parts of the user base. It become very apparent if you install regular pro on multiple pcs and dont modify it. One of my computers, before I modified it, would force update in less than a day, most wouldn't, and one would never. One bugged me daily because I had a local account. One reset my browser to edge once a day, every day from day 1One ignored all notifcation settings and displayed ads for stuff, usually ms products and edge daily. Seemed to be not based on hardware at all, but im not sure. I just know it happened in VMs too. Ms does terrible shit, but does it to some people and not others, so when people complain people will be like "ITS NOT HAPPENING TO ME ITS YOU OP STOP BLAMING MS SINCE YOU DONT KNOW HOW TO USE WINDOWS". 
I've also seen pro ignore registry entries, or group policy after updates, and settings get rolled back often without updates being involved. 
I've since used some registry edits (that I re apply after updates), a tweaking program called winaero tweaker (great program), and on some machines LTSB to solve these problems. I've never before had windows behave so differently on different machines like this, and I would honestly pay MS for LTSB if I could simply to not deal with this shit as a personal user.  

I'm not saying it's 100% not their fault, I'm saying is it's possible something else is going on. 

One of these days I'm going to test this split experience thing in a control environment. It seems to work like a/b testing and kinda how google rolls out youtube updates- a fresh session means you have a chance of getting it, but it seems to be just a permanent split experience and not update testing. I will test this some day and post results, it's really interesting. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

19 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Reason number 9 million not to run win10....ever

only for gaming. never as a main OS. 

She/Her

14 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

only for gaming. never as a main OS. 

I still dont understand why people think it cant be a main OS.... Its still rock solid.

3 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

I still dont understand why people think it cant be a main OS.... Its still rock solid.

Many people have problems with things like drivers and programs and attribute it to Windows. These problems tend to not happen as much on Unix or Linux because of two reasons:

1. The OS is relatively locked down, such as OSX and Kali Linux
  2. The lack of equivalent programs and drivers because developers don't care (and these operating systems aren't really worth caring about).

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

oh wow. I am very surprised by this news. better write this shocking news in my big boy diary. I wonder what will happen next..