[UPDATE] Windows 10 October Update Potentially Deleting Files and a Warning for Intel Users

PlayStation 2
5 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Why do people just accept this instead of kicking that piece of s**t software to the curb?

because there is no full fledged alternative for most people...

How do people still not know this?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Good thing I've been running Pro editions for the better part that I can remember. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

It looks as though the issue was reported to Microsoft by many people months ago, but Microsoft just ignored it.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

5 hours ago, Arika S said:

Maybe I shouldn't tell you about tumblr or Twitter then. 

why would i go there when i already have 4chan

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

28 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

It looks as though the issue was reported to Microsoft by many people months ago, but Microsoft just ignored it.

snip

cause the feedback hub serves for something now?

I remember that it was that place where MS would just ignore top requested features and keep doing what they're doing (jack shit) while giving the die hard fangirls who'd post there a sense of usefulness

Also can't stop laughing at the reaction of some

aebb9bbc-93f2-4274-912d-9206a0e5c952.png.3affe0329e55563c940e7c2d224e819a.png

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

9 hours ago, Arika S said:

because there is no full fledged alternative for most people...

For most ppl there is.... Ubuntu(and flavors), Linux Mint, Fedora, etc. Take your pick...

4 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

For most ppl there is.... Ubuntu(and flavors), Linux Mint, Fedora, etc. Take your pick...

Doesn't matter what distro you use when there are many programs and games that are not on Linux. You're also assuming that even casual users will be able to switch when so much of Linux relies on terminal. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

32 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Have you seen the average windows user? They are not able to install windows let alone linux. 

So you can only edit the registry to make it download updates but will notify when to install them, and if you try to disable the service it will restart after the computer restart. Dam Microsoft make disable Windows 10 auto update more difficult than Windows 7. 

38 minutes ago, Arika S said:

when so much of Linux relies on terminal

It does not rely terminal for anything that concerns the average user.

42 minutes ago, Arika S said:

many programs and games that are not on Linux

For games it seems valve covering that part, for programs most of them has linux version or a very good linux alternative.

12 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

Have you seen the average windows user? They are not able to install windows let alone linux.

That does not change the fact that linux could easily replace windows for many ppl. Not to mention how easy it is to install it.... (It even automatically offers up the option to install it beside windows and it will do it automatically all by itself.)

18 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

It does not rely terminal for anything that concerns the average user.

For games it seems valve covering that part, for programs most of them has linux version or a very good linux alternative.

That does not change the fact that linux could easily replace windows for many ppl. Not to mention how easy it is to install it.... (It even automatically offers up the option to install it beside windows and it will do it automatically all by itself.)

While that is true, and many people could easily adopt GNU/Linux if they just gave it a shot and didn't constantly compare it to Windows. But the vast majority of people get confused by simple things such as icons on the desktop being rearranged.

I'd even argue that for things most people use their computers for, Ubuntu would be fair easier to use. But tech literacy is in general extremely low so people often need to stick to the things they have learned. 

I don't believe for a second that Ubuntu is harder to use than windows. But reinstalling a computer, and relearning the few things they have already learned is too much for the average user. 

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

But reinstalling a computer, and relearning the few things they have already learned is too much for the average user. 

Well i guess this christmas im gonna see how hard it is. My parents aging laptop is slow AF(some old E450 APU) and im planning on getting them a DELL Inspiron 15 3576 with linux preinstalled... :D

wonder how much of this is true

https://imgur.com/nanUSK6

Just found out that the "Photo" app, since this latest update, is gone. My Windows no longer has a dedicated picture viewing application... so I have to use paint to view pictures... great.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

What a god damn mess....

Yet all the mouth breathers will still continue to cling to windows because looking up how to not press next 5 times is far too cumbersome a task.

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

wonder how much of this is true

https://imgur.com/nanUSK6

Welcome to the world of big Corp companies.

Assuming it is true, there is a lot similarities where I work. Everyone has different ideas, and everyone highlight how their ideas are better.

And do the business side of things, many "quick patch", "temp stuff", "prototype-only", becomes permanent stuff.

Then it comes to a point where it all collapse, and "We will do it right this time", and at release, it fixes and "makes it right" on most things, but the cycle eventually restarts.

And no, open source is not better... it all depends on who you have in a formed team. If you have a team. If you are the only senior developer, and you need to work with a team at some office that are all juniors or seniors that you question why he is even one, due to resource constraints... well you can't code the whole thing yourself, and you have to take what you have. Same for an open source project, if most people there are terrible, good chance that a really good person won't come in, and go "Hey guys, let me rewrite everything properly, and then you'll all complain on how bad it is after, because it is different, or has a some flaws in design which I think is minor, but you think it is the end of the world, and reject it all! Ok let me start!", is very slim to none. So an open source projects needs to start in a good community to start with, with a lot of enthusiasm to make the project a success.

42 minutes ago, Hellion said:

What a god damn mess....

Yet all the mouth breathers will still continue to cling to windows because looking up how to not press next 5 times is far too cumbersome a task.

That statement is absurd. 

4 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Not a single one of those is even a quarter way decent alternative to Windows for most people.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Let's just hope that Microsoft doesn't pull this under the rug like some developers/manufactures do these days and pretend nothing happened. So far, I haven't encountered anything wrong on my end nor do I notice anything deleted in my documents folder or for that matter on my cloud. Yet, I am amazed that this just slipped through. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

16 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Not a single one of those is even a quarter way decent alternative to Windows for most people.

Care to elaborate? All of them is superior to windows in stability, speed and quality. Most ppl only need skype, a browser, and a text editor. All of them is accessible on linux.

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

All of them is superior to windows in stability

Far from it.

5 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

speed

Only on low end hardware.

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

quality

Far from it.

6 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

All of them is accessible on linux.

That doesn't make up for Linux itself being a shit alternative for most people.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That doesn't make up for Linux itself being a shit alternative for most people.

Can you provide some proof to back this up or you just stubborn? Because all of my machines run linux so im talking from experience.

Just now, jagdtigger said:

Because all of my machines run linux so im talking from experience.

None of my important machines run Linux from 6 years of experience.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.