Long time gpu upgrade advise.

jaslion

Hello!

Its another what gpu should I get topic

Budget: 700€ give or take if more is needed and it makes sense ill spend

Usecase: Games only games nothing else.

Games: Sea of thieves, Gigantic, overwatch, Wanna give dishonored 2 another go, Horizon zero dawn,...

Target: 1440p 120hz for as long as possible also it being quiet.

Reason for upgrade? Dog ate my gpu (vega 64). Had a alphacool eisbear so was very quiet

Been looking around and maybe the best one I found yet is a 756€ 7900xt asrock phantom gaming white.

Did 6 years on the vega and wouldve stretched it a bit further if not for the unfortunate oopsie. Aiming to do the same thing again. Of course I know that tje future can always change and stuff. Just hoping a similar class gpu will do.

Used it ok too btw!

Also dogs fine she was happy to destroy!

Forgot specs:

3900x

32gb ram

Some ssd storage

Antec hcg 850w

Big airy case thing from long ago

21 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Hello!

Its another what gpu should I get topic

Budget: 700€ give or take if more is needed and it makes sense ill spend

Usecase: Games only games nothing else.

Games: Sea of thieves, Gigantic, overwatch, Wanna give dishonored 2 another go, Horizon zero dawn,...

Target: 1440p 120hz for as long as possible also it being quiet.

Reason for upgrade? Dog ate my gpu (vega 64). Had a alphacool eisbear so was very quiet

Been looking around and maybe the best one I found yet is a 756€ 7900xt asrock phantom gaming white.

Did 6 years on the vega and wouldve stretched it a bit further if not for the unfortunate oopsie. Aiming to do the same thing again. Of course I know that tje future can always change and stuff. Just hoping a similar class gpu will do.

Used it ok too btw!

Also dogs fine she was happy to destroy!

Buy your dog a nice treat cause now you will be getting a new GPU so you can enjoy your games even more!  Good doggo 😮 😄

I think you should go for the 7900XT that you found if you want to stick with AMD.

45 minutes ago, jaslion said:

7900 XT strong choice, it's up there with the giants:

image.png.7740046103de2419c578547f153c897c.png

Only wondering if you need to buy that as soon as possible or if you could stick around to see any deals, but really depends if you have a placeholder GPU for meantime or not I guess.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

10 minutes ago, podkall said:

7900 XT strong choice, it's up there with the giants:

image.png.7740046103de2419c578547f153c897c.png

Only wondering if you need to buy that as soon as possible or if you could stick around to see any deals, but really depends if you have a placeholder GPU for meantime or not I guess.

Oh the accident happend like 4 weeks ago been looking at deals and the 7900xt seems to have finally had its price cut here after lagging behind for a while.

Best other options would be a amd referemce 6950xt for 608, 4070ti super dual fan from msi for 849.

Else havent found anything special. Just some game bundled stuff else.

Im not in a hurry my laptop is doing fine for the moment just busy redoing my office and ran into the issue that my gtx 1070 only has so many working display ports 😛

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh the accident happend like 4 weeks ago been looking at deals and the 7900xt seems to have finally had its price cut here after lagging behind for a while.

Best other options would be a amd referemce 6950xt for 608, 4070ti super dual fan from msi for 849.

Else havent found anything special. Just some game bundled stuff else.

to me it sounds not that worth to get 100$ more similar parformance GPU that gets slightly better in RT

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Just now, podkall said:

to me it sounds not that worth to get 100$ more similar parformance GPU that gets slightly better in RT

Oh yeah im not even looking at rt stuff at all.

Doesnt wow that much and well the games I actively play dont even jave it 😛

58 minutes ago, jaslion said:

and i thought a cat pissing on a motherboard was a weird cause of death

for 700€ theres the 7900xt and used 3090(ti)

value seems pretty bad up there and i think youd get much better value out of a used 3080ti or 6800xt you can find for 350-400€

heck the 6950xt is giving the 7900xt a run for its money so if you can find those at a decent price (cheaper than a 3090) might be a good buy

Here's what I would do...

1. Get a 7900 GRE and overclock
  2. Get a 5800X3D
  3. Sell the 3900X

08:15

On 5/12/2024 at 6:29 AM, Salted Spinach said:

Here's what I would do...

1. Get a 7900 GRE and overclock
  2. Get a 5800X3D
  3. Sell the 3900X

08:15

I am actually really thinking of the 7900gre specifically the spahhire pulse (NOT the nitro!) edition. But leave it stock sincr its super quiet.

I know for games I could get more performance with a 5800x3d and stuff but Im just gonna keep the 3900x as its beyond plenty and its not like it has even a bit of trouble pushing well past 120fps of my screen.

@Hinjima@podkall@Somerandomtechyboi

Currently can get a new in box Sapphire 7900 gre pulse edition for 530€ + dragons dogma II coupon.

Same option for the asrock fighter one for 7 euro's less. But seems its a smidge louder out of the box. Could of course tune it if needed.

I think I'll get the sapphire semi due to nostalgia as my first "new" proper gpu I bought was a hd 7870 xt from sapphire with the weird military lady/theming on it so might as well do that again for shits and giggles.

Also fits that the 7900gre like the 7870 xt isnt a 7900xt or hd 7950 but it gets quite close and was added later down the line as a we have leftover stuff here option 😛

Hopefully this one doesnt violently have a fan explode (molding issue of the shroud). But if it does sure hope it gets replaced by a better newer card like 10 years ago 😛

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Currently can get a new in box Sapphire 7900 gre pulse edition for 530€ + dragons dogma II coupon.

depends on how much you save on the game and wether or not you can find a decently priced 6950xt used

6950xt seems to be equivalent to the gre so <400$ sounds pretty good but 450$ and you might aswell get a new card with a game

1 hour ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

depends on how much you save on the game and wether or not you can find a decently priced 6950xt used

6950xt seems to be equivalent to the gre so <400$ sounds pretty good but 450$ and you might aswell get a new card with a game

Oh its a new one sold by a pc store I frequent 6950xt used is like 470 at best so imma skip that.

I do wonder if the gre will age a smidge better too.

If I cant find any better by this evening imma go for the 7900gre

52 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Oh its a new one sold by a pc store I frequent 6950xt used is like 470 at best so imma skip that.

I do wonder if the gre will age a smidge better too.

If I cant find any better by this evening imma go for the 7900gre

well if ya can't wait the GRE isn't terrible option,

it's got some generous amounts of VRAM bandwidth, TMUs, ROPs etc. unlike the similarly fast 4070 Ti and Ti Super, which compared to it look overpriced since Ti Super costs more than 7900 XT and Ti is only 12GB VRAM

PC:

PCs I used before:

8 hours ago, jaslion said:

know for games I could get more performance with a 5800x3d and stuff but Im just gonna keep the 3900x as its beyond plenty and its not like it has even a bit of trouble pushing well past 120fps of my screen

With a 4070 Super at 1440p I saw noticeable improvement going from 5700X to 5800X3D. Also thanks to the extra cache I no longer had to mess around with memory timings to squeeze out performance. If playing at higher resolution, the 5800X3D will not offer as much improvement.

The option will be there if you find yourself limited by the 3900X

5 hours ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

That comparison is with 7900 GRE at stock configuration. The same stock configuration as sold to the Chinese market with artificially limited memory speed.

That is now 'fixed' as shown in the video of my first reply, and overclocking allows it to match the 4070 Ti Super

Meanwhile the 6950XT is RDNA 2 already pushed to its limits and consumes significantly more power.

10 minutes ago, Salted Spinach said:

With a 4070 Super at 1440p I saw noticeable improvement going from 5700X to 5800X3D. Also thanks to the extra cache I no longer had to mess around with memory timings to squeeze out performance. If playing at higher resolution, the 5800X3D will not offer as much improvement.

Oh I know I am glad there are future options available in some time if I do want to. But for now well I am not exactly playing intensive games by todays standards so pretty good to go.

Good to know it can be boosted a lot that card. I will get that over a 6950xt as just the power savings is worth it.

edit: misread... delete

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer