Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, GAME 55 said:

My question is:

Is a CVT better than an Automatic or a Dual-Clutch?

or is that just marketing and complete nonsense?

We have 2 Honda civic sport 2020 models mine is manual coupe and my wife have the 4 door auto...my car looks a lot sportier and cooler than her...BUT there is NO WAY I could catch her on a drag race for example...cause everytime I change gear...she doesn't...and I'm almost never on the peak power and torque range and she's always spot on banging ivtec on all cylinders all the time.

She also get better fuel mileage.

But...my car sound a lot better and is more fun to drive.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

57 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

We have 2 Honda civic sport 2020 models mine is manual coupe and my wife have the 4 door auto...my car looks a lot sportier and cooler than her...BUT there is NO WAY I could catch her on a drag race for example...cause everytime I change gear...she doesn't...and I'm almost never on the peak power and torque range and she's always spot on banging ivtec on all cylinders all the time.

Also the transmission of a manual car will outlive an automatic, and repairs are much cheaper on a manual car

24 minutes ago, Biomecanoid said:

Also the transmission of a manual car will outlive an automatic, and repairs are much cheaper on a manual car

sadly most manufacturers are starting to drop manuals ... for CVTs or automagics ... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

CVT’s May be better but they’ll still have that rubber band effect and wait period when you press the go pedal while you’re already cruising 

also I’m not convinced that they can ever last as long as traditional auto or a manual (assuming all are taken care of) 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

CVT’s May be better but they’ll still have that rubber band effect and wait period when you press the go pedal while you’re already cruising 

also I’m not convinced that they can ever last as long as traditional auto or a manual (assuming all are taken care of) 

nothing is as unreliable as a CVT 😂

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

3 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Also the transmission of a manual car will outlive an automatic

I'm not completely sure I agree, especially if you consider the prevalence of stuff like clutch and frequently accompanying (and often very expensive) DMF failures. I suppose it depends how you define "transmission" though.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

6 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

As others have said, I'm not so sure anymore. I routinely see automatics doing 200,000 miles with no rebuild and only random fluid changes. I rarely see a stick shift that doesn't have some parts that affect it's operation worn out by those miles. Clutch, master/slave cylinder, clutch pedal bushings, shift bushings, syncro's, etc. In an automatic it's essentially an all in one box solution, with a manual trans though it's a whole system of parts which have to work properly for the trans to work properly. Slave cylinder IS part of a manual trans because without it the trans can't be shifted.

5 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

nothing is as unreliable as a CVT 😂

Correction. Nothing is as unreliable as a Nissan CVT

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Correction. Nothing is as unreliable as a Nissan CVT

I've recently had 3 generations of Rogue on the rack and I'm not even sure they're actually different cars. Under neath they all look like they're the same car, just different lights, body panels, and interior up top.

1 minute ago, Bitter said:

I've recently had 3 generations of Rogue on the rack and I'm not even sure they're actually different cars. Under neath they all look like they're the same car, just different lights, body panels, and interior up top.

Nissan has dropped so much in quality and reliability...I've read that they are now ranked worse than kia and Hyundai. I would never buy a Nissan personally.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

9 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

This. When I got absolutely embarrassed in my mazda by a Karen in a civic is when I decided I would get one. Off the line they are pretty slow because they reduce power and torque to protect the CVT, but from a roll they are super quick. I get 35mpg with summer tires and driving like an ass. Pretty damn good.

Really just depends what brand. I'd say subaru and nissans are the worst I've driven. Early hondas in the accords and last gen CR-Vs are bad. Have not driven a new corolla yet with the 2 speed CVT. I drove a new RAV4 and that thing was super disappointing. Especially after driving a CH-R and being really impressed by how that thing drove.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

15 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

die,also current automatics are overall better than many if not all DCT or manual boxes out there 

^ This, id argue that the best box on the market rn is ZFs 8 speed auto.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Still? It’s been around a while 

Spoiler

6 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

The ZF 8 speed is good, but it ain't near the PDK and C8 transmissions which are the best two at the moment IMO.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

15 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Nissan has dropped so much in quality and reliability...I've read that they are now ranked worse than kia and Hyundai. I would never buy a Nissan personally.

i mean, Nissan started to go to shit after being aquired by Renault (or what they call it .. alliance ), round 2010 they were already terrible imo

like currently is just a shit renault and renault already is VERY bad ... 

3 hours ago, vetali said:

The ZF 8 speed is good, but it ain't near the PDK and C8 transmissions which are the best two at the moment IMO.

3 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

Still? It’s been around a while 

For a regular kind of car atleast. If we're talking performance cars then yeah the PDK is king.

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

For a regular kind of car atleast. If we're talking performance cars then yeah the PDK is king.

^ this. PKD and to a lesser extent the recent BMW DCT systems are brilliant boxes if you're driving hard, but I'd much rather have the ZF8 around town or on a long motorway cruise.

[ P R O J E C T _ M E L L I F E R A ]

[ 5900X @4.7GHz PBO2 | X570S Aorus Pro | 32GB GSkill Trident Z 3600MHz CL16 | EK-Quantum Reflection ]
[ ASUS RTX4080 TUF OC @3000MHz | O11D-XL | HardwareLabs GTS and GTX 360mm | XSPC D5 SATA ]

[ TechN / Phanteks G40 Blocks | Corsair AX750 | ROG Swift PG279Q | Q-Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4 ]

P R O J E C T | S A N D W A S P

6900K | RTX2080 | 32GB DDR4-3000 | Custom Loop 

2 minutes ago, HM-2 said:

^ this. PKD and to a lesser extent the recent BMW DCT systems are brilliant boxes if you're driving hard, but I'd much rather have the ZF8 around town or on a long motorway cruise.

Yeah, drove a new gen M3 yesterday for the first time and even with everything in comfort the box is wank at slow speeds but open it up a bit and its wonderful

7 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

I think I'd rank the C8 better. The tuning is very good on that for cruising and track. But thats just from an armchair perspective. I've driven neither.

I just put the tools back after cleaning, lubricating, and adjusting my motorcycle chain, checking the oil level and coolant overflow tank level, and checking the fork and axle/major chassis bolts. The city I work in has decided to get all of their road construction done right now, so the highway I ride in on is all torn up; Checking bolts and stuff more frequently seems like a good idea.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 5900X

Kingston HyperX Fury 3200mhz 2x16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

EVGA RTX 3060 Ti XC

Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

Corsair Carbide 300R

Arctic Fans 140mm x4 120mm x 1

Hurricane Laura will be making landfall about 120 miles west of me. Wish me luck! Lol

20 foot storm surge expected on the coast. Nuts!! 

Spoiler

Stay safe @bcredeur97, unsurvivable storm surges at this current level

Edit: heres a gif

20202391946-20202392351-GOES16-ABI-GM-GE

kps72xhyf7gih2eqofvy.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

Got something done today at least. Wrapped my new BBK equal length headers.

STILL waiting on my new motor to arrive over a month later.

20200826_192335.thumb.jpg.4037594be6e3fff638542ea68abef182.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

On 8/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

Scubamiata

The Miata fortunately is dry and safe. Lol 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:09 PM, chaozbandit said:

Stay safe @bcredeur97, unsurvivable storm surges at this current level

Edit: heres a gif

Good news is everything is good where I am. I think the storm surge was bad — but less than originally projected. So that’s good too 

main extent where I am is power outages, small limbs everywhere, and a few broken trees here and there. Didn’t see anything major. 

im not sure where wind gusts topped out at but around 5am it was crazy. House was making so many noises lol

Spoiler