Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Either a harsher polish with a stiffer applicator on a machine (hard felt on a variable speed dremel/drill) or yes sanding. Start with a higher grit and work down to find the highest grit that takes the imperfections out then work back up the grit until it's polish time.

More pressure didnt do it and i cant find anything locally thats more abrasive right now as i dont have a bike to ride (the GS500e is still going through insurance stuff because the workshop i left it with to make an estimate have been absolute nuttheads and not done their job). Sandpaper is as good as it gets i think. No easy to find chemicals i could just slather on there? Gona go get a few grits of sandpaper otherwise

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

38 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

More pressure didnt do it and i cant find anything locally thats more abrasive right now as i dont have a bike to ride (the GS500e is still going through insurance stuff because the workshop i left it with to make an estimate have been absolute nuttheads and not done their job). Sandpaper is as good as it gets i think. No easy to find chemicals i could just slather on there? Gona go get a few grits of sandpaper otherwise

Any chemical that'll remove aluminum oxide would remove the aluminum before it removed the aluminum oxide since aluminum oxide is substantially tougher than aluminum.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:11 AM, sub68 said:

that looks very good nice ford focus (is it a stick)

Yes the ST trim is the 6 speed manual with a 2.0L ecoboost turbo engine. Some call this the "MK3.5" as the MK3 officially launched in 2013 but had a facelift in 2015 (this is a 2016). Facelift front looked way better but they regressed heavily on the rear bumper. 

Also finally went out and bought one of those Oil Filter wrench tools because the tightness between the Oil filter, oil pan and surrounding pipes makes it impossible to use a normal oil wrench or pipe wrench to twist it off. 

(Random photo of similar designoff amazon, i did NOT pay that price)

image.thumb.png.5f02ab5478212f26724c9b30433a6d46.png

The flat edges slipped on the coated body o the filter, so I used very large pliers et to their max width setting to make dents in the oil can, and it worked first try. 10/10 these tools are amazing (when they grip good) Might get the version with the round arms that are knurled, but it might be a bit too large for my can size. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

6 speed manual

that's what I like to see (say that in a deep voice)

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

12 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Yes the ST trim is the 6 speed manual with a 2.0L ecoboost turbo engine. Some call this the "MK3.5" as the MK3 officially launched in 2013 but had a facelift in 2015 (this is a 2016). Facelift front looked way better but they regressed heavily on the rear bumper. 

Also finally went out and bought one of those Oil Filter wrench tools because the tightness between the Oil filter, oil pan and surrounding pipes makes it impossible to use a normal oil wrench or pipe wrench to twist it off. 

(Random photo of similar designoff amazon, i did NOT pay that price)

The flat edges slipped on the coated body o the filter, so I used very large pliers et to their max width setting to make dents in the oil can, and it worked first try. 10/10 these tools are amazing (when they grip good) Might get the version with the round arms that are knurled, but it might be a bit too large for my can size. 

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-63600-Oil-Filter-Tool/dp/B0002SR4Q8/

I prefer this style, it doesn't slip as much and you can take a file and serrate the jaws for more grip.

22 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I prefer this style, it doesn't slip as much and you can take a file and serrate the jaws for more grip.

Interesting. I would have though two arms would be worse than three, but I guess it makes contact at two edges per arm so i's more like 4. 

I'm honestly not sure how I went so long without one of these, at least for the duration I've owned my car. Other vehicles I've done for my family have been totally fine cause they were large SUV's with plenty of space. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just now, TVwazhere said:

large SUV's with plenty of space.

no kidding

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

40 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Great for dealing with oil filters from the luber goobers that think you need head bolt torque sequence on an oil filter. We are under staffed lately because everyone is still laid off so I am having to do some oil changes again. Kinda hating my life more than usual now.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Try a tall oil filter on a nb2 Miata lol. Always a pain. 

at least I don’t drive it as much as I used to. Helps my sanity 

the rest of the car is pretty easy to work on though. The things I’ve encountered:

1. starter is kinda hard to get to; you almost need 2 ppl

2. Oil filter location 

3. solid lifter shim-over-bucket is a pain to adjust 

everything else is pretty easy really 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Got all the insurance shit with the GS500E(Now RIP GS500E :( ) and new budget for a replacement is €2000. For refrence ive spent MAYBE half that on this bike including all parts and tires and fluids(not counting gas) so im not too sad about it. Im excited to get something else. Just havent got a single clue what to get now. Needs to be A2 and preferably something i could ride through the winter if its mild. Maybe a KLR650? :D

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

A delicious 1962 Humber Super Snipe Series IV (with quad headlamps 👌)

1962 Humber Super Snipe Series IV. (With images) | Classic cars

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

6 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

A delicious 1962 Humber Super Snipe Series IV (with quad headlamps 👌)

I actually saw one of these at an antique car museum a while back, and I was surprised to see how it was in such good condition!

IMG_20190706_130620789_HDR.jpg.c277be7f4b85aa923dff99bdb1384845.jpg

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Can reach my knob now 😂

20200611_164641.jpg

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Can reach my knob now 😂

Spoiler

20200611_164641.jpg

You must have short hands then 😜 

For the more knowledgeable:

Is there a single metric or spec for a car that would indicate quick acceleration at high speed? Or is it more a combination?

15 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

You must have short hands then 😜 

Driving position in that thing is awful 😂

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

It's truly amazing what you can do to an old paint, I'm not done yet but I have begun. 

Right side not done anything yet,

20200611_223308.thumb.jpg.67cdfe2ebbc5e0cedefaed7f00a4c4ab.jpg

Left side almost done

20200611_223315.thumb.jpg.1b890acd3c22a8d3173ab9e560780315.jpg

Also it passed inspection and thus back on the roads!

CPU: r7 2700x;  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 ti sli; RAM: 16GB DDR4; MoBo: ASUS CH VII HERO x470; PSU: Seasonic Prime 850 Titanium; Case: Be Quiet! Dark Base 900 PRO; SSD: Kingston 120 GB; HDD: 1x 500 GB 1x 2TB 1x 3TB;

My Anime List 300+ completed

3 hours ago, Oskar94a said:

It's truly amazing what you can do to an old paint, I'm not done yet but I have begun. 

Right side not done anything yet,

Left side almost done

So what did you end up using?

3 hours ago, divito said:

For the more knowledgeable:

Is there a single metric or spec for a car that would indicate quick acceleration at high speed? Or is it more a combination?

it really is a combination to be honest.

Having short enough gearing to give you a wheel torque advantage, having enough torque/horsepower, and having a low drag coefficient, and having low weight

You could argue that drag and horsepower probably affect this the most. But gearing is important too!

examples:
ariel atom: great power/weight, great gearing, bad aero: Zooms from 60-120mph in the blink of an eye; after that it falls off a cliff. Aero is just too bad.
your run of the mill honda civic: Low power/weight, ok/bad gearing, great aero (gas mileage yo): Slow as molasses on the highway
Mustangs... 2015 mustang GT was great, they've made the gearing longer since. The car has gotten slower every year since 2015.

audi RS7: great power/weight, good gearing, decent aero: Mostly the power making it so great, but man it's quick at high speed.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 minute ago, bcredeur97 said:

it really is a combination to be honest.

Having short enough gearing to give you a wheel torque advantage, having enough torque/horsepower, and having a low drag coefficient, and having low weight

You could argue that drag and horsepower probably affect this the most. But gearing is important too!

examples:
ariel atom: great power/weight, great gearing, bad aero: Zooms from 60-120mph in the blink of an eye; after that it falls off a cliff. Aero is just too bad.
your run of the mill honda civic: Low power/weight, ok/bad gearing, great aero (gas mileage yo): Slow as molasses on the highway
Mustangs... 2015 mustang GT was great, they've made the gearing longer since. The car has gotten slower every year since 2015.

audi RS7: great power/weight, good gearing, decent aero: Mostly the power making it so great, but man it's quick at high speed.

Was simply curious...I went into a used 2005 Infiniti g35x years ago, and compared to my cars before it, that was one of the noticeable differences. Despite doing 130/140km/h, pressing down on the accelerator gave an immediate increase without the lag and slow build of other cars.

When I was replacing that car, I never researched heavily enough to find out how to replicate that feeling and speed, but I limited my search to:

1. Sedans (sports, father, practical)
2. AWD (Canada weather)
3. V6 (based on my Infiniti)

I only really had 3 options that fit the criteria (and within reasonable cost), and I settled on a decently-priced 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R. It is similar, but I still kind of prefer the Infiniti for several reasons.

Does anybody know how well cheap dent remover tools like this work? I'm trying to remove a sizeable dent in my front fender and a small one on my door, and I'm not sure whether to get a simple suction cup tool or a crossbar dent remover. Here are some pictures to show what I'm working with.

IMG_20190709_114502319_HDR.thumb.jpg.974a59aeb9d01d68a0139a0c4a3f7da8.jpgIMG_20200611_203818.thumb.jpg.b1ee6dc198880cfec2d108455bdf0a14.jpgimage_25590.thumb.jpg.a9da6f8aaa95a9a383cf8c5629c991c0.jpg

PS: Yes, I know my car has a ton of scratches, but I haven't had a ton of free time to fix that until now. This is what happens when both your parents are teachers and little kids run through the parking lot with their backpacks on every single day xD. I swear it looks better in person.

Computer engineering grad student, cybersecurity researcher, and hobbyist embedded systems developer

Daily Driver:

CPU: Ryzen 7 4800H | GPU: RTX 2060 | RAM: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

Gaming PC:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X | GPU: EVGA RTX 2080Ti | RAM: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz C16

27 minutes ago, divito said:

Was simply curious...I went into a used 2005 Infiniti g35x years ago, and compared to my cars before it, that was one of the noticeable differences. Despite doing 130/140km/h, pressing down on the accelerator gave an immediate increase without the lag and slow build of other cars.

When I was replacing that car, I never researched heavily enough to find out how to replicate that feeling and speed, but I limited my search to:

1. Sedans (sports, father, practical)
2. AWD (Canada weather)
3. V6 (based on my Infiniti)

I only really had 3 options that fit the criteria (and within reasonable cost), and I settled on a decently-priced 2015 Subaru Legacy 3.6R. It is similar, but I still kind of prefer the Infiniti for several reasons.

My dad had a 2005 G35 (RWD)! Loved that thing. Felt so quick even with the Automatic (they say the manuals were much better though in those cars, and I believe it). Great driving car and I think they are underrated.

He replaced it with a 2012 Audi A6 (which unfortunately died in an accident soon after and was replaced with a 2014 model). I can say with definite certainty the Audi is much faster, it gets to 130mph (limiter on the audi) much quicker. It has a smaller engine (3.0L) but has a supercharger. It makes a bit more power than the infiniti did, but I think it has a lot more torque (thanks to the supercharger). At least it feels like it does. Funnily enough it also weighs a lot more... it's like 4000 lbs.

Some of the benefit there has to be the transmission. The ZF 8 speed is epic.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

My dad had a 2005 G35 (RWD)! Loved that thing. Felt so quick even with the Automatic (they say the manuals were much better though in those cars, and I believe it). Great driving car and I think they are underrated.

He replaced it with a 2012 Audi A6 (which unfortunately died in an accident soon after and was replaced with a 2014 model). I can say with definite certainty the Audi is much faster, it gets to 130mph (limiter on the audi) much quicker.

Mine was automatic (sedan, good ol' practical dad lol), but it being RWD with front assist, that was one of the first things I noticed when driving the Subaru, it didn't put me back in my seat as much. Still fast and powerful enough, but slight differences that I miss. That and the Infiniti didn't have CVT.....stupid CVT.

Because of my criteria, the only 3 options were another Infiniti, a Lincoln MKZ, or a Legacy. Audi sadly didn't have anything for me though I did look into those.

1 minute ago, divito said:

Mine was automatic (sedan, good ol' practical dad lol), but it being RWD with front assist, that was one of the first things I noticed when driving the Subaru, it didn't put me back in my seat as much. Still fast and powerful enough, but slight differences that I miss. That and the Infiniti didn't have CVT.....stupid CVT.

his was a sedan too. And yeah every CVT car I've ever driven has dissapointed me; it'd take a lot to impress me with one at this point.

Spoiler