Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

My dad just bought a 2012 Volvo XC60 (3.2) with 88k miles for my sisters and him to use occasionally to keep miles off his car.

@vetali @Bitter

whats gonna break on this thing? I know nothing about Volvo’s. The transmission is mounted to the front of the engine where the belts are and that’s... well... weird

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

59 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

My dad just bought a 2013 Volvo XC60 with 88k miles for my sisters and him to use occasionally to keep miles off his car.

@vetali @Bitter

whats gonna break on this thing? I know nothing about Volvo’s. The transmission is mounted to the front of the engine where the belts are and that’s... well... weird

Everything.

Eh it'll probably mostly be fine as long as it was correctly maintained before his ownership, I'd highly suggest it get to a dealer for maintenance even if it doesn't need it and to update all the module programming as preventative.

2 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

My dad just bought a 2012 Volvo XC60 (3.2) with 88k miles for my sisters and him to use occasionally to keep miles off his car.

@vetali @Bitter

The wheels from curbs

@vetali @Bitter

I don't remember the last time I saw a newer than 2000 volvo in the shop. No idea.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

8 hours ago, vetali said:

I don't remember the last time I saw a newer than 2000 volvo in the shop. No idea.

Good news is I can’t find any major issues online? 

Might actually be a good car... kinda surprised

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

The wheels from curbs

Yep. Nothing I can do about that one tho lol

Spoiler

Good news is I can’t find any major issues online? 

Might actually be a good car... kinda surprised

Could be worse, my parents got a 13 BMW X3 with the dumpster fire N20. They're currently trying to find a BMW dealer that will do timing chains on it because it sounds like a 80 year old diesel tractor. I flat out refused to work on it because they bought it over an RDX. Its a base model xdrive too. Doesn't even have a reverse camera.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Could be worse, my parents got a 13 BMW X3 with the dumpster fire N20. They're currently trying to find a BMW dealer that will do timing chains on it because it sounds like a 80 year old diesel tractor. I flat out refused to work on it because they bought it over an RDX. Its a base model xdrive too. Doesn't even have a reverse camera.

Sounds like a really nice looking lawn ornament.

lol, I wish people valued simplicity and reliability a bit more than they do. 

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Sounds like a really nice looking lawn ornament.

lol, I wish people valued simplicity and reliability a bit more than they do. 

Pretty sure that's why they got the base model, duh!

16 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

@vetali @Bitter

the 3.2 if i remember was an N/A 3.2L i6? 
as far as i know... they are gloriously reliable machines, so i think he did good.

If its AWD then that system might start to bitch after a while ... since IIRC they were Haldex based ones ... but if its the FWD one then it should be fine 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

13 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

the 3.2 if i remember was an N/A 3.2L i6? 
as far as i know... they are gloriously reliable machines, so i think he did good.

If its AWD then that system might start to bitch after a while ... since IIRC they were Haldex based ones ... but if its the FWD one then it should be fine 

Nope they are N/A. Only the 3.0’s were turbocharged as far as I know! 

its really short for an in-line 6, kinda impressive. I assume it’s pretty tall though so it’s probably mostly stroke. 

it’s just FWD. he did good getting a basic one I guess lol. 

but that’s good to know it’ll probably be a good car for him/my sisters! So long as they keep it in one piece lol

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Nope they are N/A. Only the 3.0’s were turbocharged as far as I know! 

its really short for an in-line 6, kinda impressive. I assume it’s pretty tall though so it’s probably mostly stroke. 

it’s just FWD. he did good getting a basic one I guess lol. 

but that’s good to know it’ll probably be a good car for him/my sisters! So long as they keep it in one piece lol

Yeah 3.0 or earlier 2.9 .. but they would be marked as T6 

I mean its a transverse mounted 3.2 liter i6 ...Volvo calls it a Short Inline 6

i mean Haldex systems are great FWD based AWD systems, just IIRC volvo says they are not serviceable ... when you should service them according to VAG 

as long as noone crashes it... it should last quite long

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

I bought new seat covers for the Celica, they're 20 years old, the vinyl side of the driver seat has been cracked/torn for a while, the leather is dry and hard and won't take conditioners, I busted some stitching on the seat bottom a few weeks ago, and the leather is coated leather so it's glossy and slippery. I stuck with black, black stitching, but decided to get 'alcantara' center sections for a little less slipping around in the seats. Here's to hoping they turn out nice and fit well.

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

I bought new seat covers for the Celica, they're 20 years old, the vinyl side of the driver seat has been cracked/torn for a while, the leather is dry and hard and won't take conditioners, I busted some stitching on the seat bottom a few weeks ago, and the leather is coated leather so it's glossy and slippery. I stuck with black, black stitching, but decided to get 'alcantara' center sections for a little less slipping around in the seats. Here's to hoping they turn out nice and fit well.

Seat covers as in replacements for the oem skins? Where’d you get them from? 

ive been thinking about getting some from Lseat.com for my Miata. Little company in Texas, prices seemed pretty good. Color match won’t be exact though 

https://www.lseat.com/products/2001-2005-mazda-mx-5-miata-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html 

I want to do lotus seats to get lower in the car but there’s no way I can afford that lol

Spoiler

53 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Seat covers as in replacements for the oem skins? Where’d you get them from? 

ive been thinking about getting some from Lseat.com for my Miata. Little company in Texas, prices seemed pretty good. Color match won’t be exact though 

https://www.lseat.com/products/2001-2005-mazda-mx-5-miata-custom-real-leather-seat-covers-front.html 

I want to do lotus seats to get lower in the car but there’s no way I can afford that lol

From there. Generally well reviewed on forums but poor customer service, so I'm rolling the dice that they get it right. It'll be nice to have leather seats finally that aren't a slippery polished gloss surface. I've seen their leather materials described as being more textured than Toyota leather and with a little more friction, so likely not coated leather but also possibly not exactly 100% hide leather either. Might be a blended or bonded leather material, still leather but not really leather. Whatever it is, for the price and just being new I'm sure I'll be happy. I went with the Alcantara centers to make the seats more grippy with maybe I didn't need to do but it'll also make them less hot and sweaty I hope.

LandCruiser and LX guys seem to love them and they look good in those cars.

I'm supposed to be out getting grocery, but instead I'm watching this.

Finally put some rubber on the blue te37s. They seem smaller than the white 16s i took off dispite being  actually a inch bigger.

JVRs6SB.jpg

Also it never suprises me how expensive parts are for this car.  Had a clunk in the rear drivetrain.  Took a look underneath and quickly found the culprit to be the diff mount bushing.  300$ for a ring of rubber.  At least it was easy to change and fairly quick.

31 minutes ago, JokerProduction said:

Finally put some rubber on the blue te37s. They seem smaller than the white 16s i took off dispite being  actually a inch bigger.

JVRs6SB.jpg

Also it never suprises me how expensive parts are for this car.  Had a clunk in the rear drivetrain.  Took a look underneath and quickly found the culprit to be the diff mount bushing.  300$ for a ring of rubber.  At least it was easy to change and fairly quick.

Sticking with rubber? Not going with that Polish guy that does poly?

5 hours ago, Bitter said:

From there. Generally well reviewed on forums but poor customer service, so I'm rolling the dice that they get it right. It'll be nice to have leather seats finally that aren't a slippery polished gloss surface. I've seen their leather materials described as being more textured than Toyota leather and with a little more friction, so likely not coated leather but also possibly not exactly 100% hide leather either. Might be a blended or bonded leather material, still leather but not really leather. Whatever it is, for the price and just being new I'm sure I'll be happy. I went with the Alcantara centers to make the seats more grippy with maybe I didn't need to do but it'll also make them less hot and sweaty I hope.

LandCruiser and LX guys seem to love them and they look good in those cars.

didn't know you could get alcantara centers with them.. didn't see that option. Or is that a "email them and ask" sort of thing?

Let me know how they are! In one place I've seen people have trouble with them being too loose, but there may be some way to shrink leather a bit or something.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

didn't know you could get alcantara centers with them.. didn't see that option. Or is that a "email them and ask" sort of thing?

Let me know how they are! In one place I've seen people have trouble with them being too loose, but there may be some way to shrink leather a bit or something.

Yeah, you have to ask them if they can do more custom things like that and add it to the order at check out. I also emailed them to make sure that was OK and if they could and then confirmed the pricing and let them know my order was in. It's probably not real brand name trade marked alcantara fabric, but it should be nice.

As far as fit a few things can throw that off, if the seat foam under them is compressed it'll fit looser. Also you need some heat cycles to shrink the leather down a little bit, you can park in the sun on a hot day a few times or correctly steam the leather. It'll shrink up on it's own over time though anyway.

Proper British engineering...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

On 5/30/2020 at 8:29 PM, Bitter said:

Sticking with rubber? Not going with that Polish guy that does poly?

I talked to him first but he ended up being a huge ripoff on shipping and he wanted double the miney for a core charge so id have to deal with shipping the rotted part back.  

I could of got an pattern oem part for about a 3rd of the cost but still opted to get a factory original while there still available.  The orinal rubber one lasted 25 years.

I  put poly bushings(suspension)on my other celica and they kinda suck for a car that is stored outside and sees all 4 seasons of canaidian climate.  They bind or get noisy and require a fair amount of maintence and i wouldnt use them on anything but a full trailered race car that is garage kept.

1 hour ago, JokerProduction said:

I talked to him first but he ended up being a huge ripoff on shipping and he wanted double the miney for a core charge so id have to deal with shipping the rotted part back.  

I could of got an pattern oem part for about a 3rd of the cost but still opted to get a factory original while there still available.  The orinal rubber one lasted 25 years.

I  put poly bushings(suspension)on my other celica and they kinda suck for a car that is stored outside and sees all 4 seasons of canaidian climate.  They bind or get noisy and require a fair amount of maintence and i wouldnt use them on anything but a full trailered race car that is garage kept.

Makes sense, didn't realize he was such a pain. I guess he's good for the bushings he's already producing. Rubber might be better there anyway to take up drive line shock rather than breaking more expensive parts.

Frame has been rust stripped as far as I could and painted, taillight and rear indicators rewired, polished the engine covers and washed it(though the superwash did almost nothing, no clue why... Maybe I need some degreaser or something?) looks a lot better now at least! :D

IMG_20200601_201530.jpg

IMG_20200601_201549.jpg

IMG_20200601_202020.jpg

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016