Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

Went to check this thing yesterday.

https://www.standvirtual.com/anuncio/bmw-520-gpl-ID8MzAdP.html

104928692_;slot=6;filename=eyJmbiI6IjRxMHRlbDVpeHV0NDMtU1REVlRMUFQiLCJ3IjpbeyJmbiI6IjZtZ2p3bHA3a2dkYjItU1REVlRMUFQiLCJzIjoiMTYiLCJwIjoiMTAsLTEwIiwiYSI6IjAifV19.G+4hUA3YBXI1YKZXAB16BgzOhnuHPsxlpbMm-aqOpAY_rev001.jpg

I called the dude, asking if they still have the car and if a test drive was possible. The dude said they still had the car and it was only necessary to take the car out of the middle of the other cars and a test drive was possible.

I went there all happy about checking a car for the first time alone, meet the dude, we go to the car, it was on the furthest corner of the dealership, sitting sad and dusty under a tree.

Then, the dude tells me that the driver's door doesn't latch. Which means, no test drive what so ever. I open the bonnet, he tells me it has a dead battery that needs charging.

So, uh, how about that test drive, fucker? A bit shady on that regard but ok, everyone has their way of doing business, I guess.

Both front corners are a bit scuffed, tires are pretty new because the car had been sitting for a while now...

Shift knob is fucked to no end, and the driver's seat isn't looking too good (BMW). The rest of the interior (excluding the door cards, commom E34 problem) looked almost like brand new, I was amazed by that ngl. Turns out the car was owned by a teacher, single, who drove pretty much always alone, so that's nice. I might rest assured that this car wasn't totally thrashed by previous owners.

It was imported to Portugal in 2000/2001 as well. LPG kit looked fairly recent (a few years old, not months xD) but the dude said that there was an LPG conversion shop nearby which was were the car was converted and the guy responsible for this car would know everything about it because he was the one who took care of its maintenance pretty much. It goes without saying that I didn't find this place, so when I come back to the dealer, if this car is still there, I'm going to ask for directions xD

Other than that the car's body looks pretty good, I think the bonnet on the front has a few little rust spots, not sure how that works, hopefully it's just surface rust and not something critical.

Also, on the advert, the car is listed for 2500€, in the dealer it was listed for 2800€ and he would sell it to me for 1900€ so I could have 600€ to spare to fix the door latch and what not. But honestly, I'm never going to buy it without test driving it first, so, I want that latch fixed before I even go there again. You can see on the listing, the driver's door is open... I actually noticed that but didn't think about a non working latch... Oh well.

This is probably one of the only 520/525i's for sale with cloth interior (which I want waaaaaaay more than leather, especially on a car this old) so, maybe, just maybe, if later this year the car's still there, I might pick it up :D (or maybe not, we'll see...)

Imma shoot him a message asking for the VIN number now, forgot about checking that out, moron.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

A small part of me died when I read that.

Though I would have gently warned him that if he got it stuck he'd have to extract it himself. Then see if he picks up or not

I mean see where this is going, but it's not that bad. Saves you time, and if your tools aren't complete shit, they don't break when you use them wrong. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

50 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Went to check this thing yesterday.

https://www.standvirtual.com/anuncio/bmw-520-gpl-ID8MzAdP.html

104928692_;slot=6;filename=eyJmbiI6IjRxMHRlbDVpeHV0NDMtU1REVlRMUFQiLCJ3IjpbeyJmbiI6IjZtZ2p3bHA3a2dkYjItU1REVlRMUFQiLCJzIjoiMTYiLCJwIjoiMTAsLTEwIiwiYSI6IjAifV19.G+4hUA3YBXI1YKZXAB16BgzOhnuHPsxlpbMm-aqOpAY_rev001.jpg

I called the dude, asking if they still have the car and if a test drive was possible. The dude said they still had the car and it was only necessary to take the car out of the middle of the other cars and a test drive was possible.

I went there all happy about checking a car for the first time alone, meet the dude, we go to the car, it was on the furthest corner of the dealership, sitting sad and dusty under a tree.

Then, the dude tells me that the driver's door doesn't latch. Which means, no test drive what so ever. I open the bonnet, he tells me it has a dead battery that needs charging.

So, uh, how about that test drive, fucker? A bit shady on that regard but ok, everyone has their way of doing business, I guess.

Both front corners are a bit scuffed, tires are pretty new because the car had been sitting for a while now...

Shift knob is fucked to no end, and the driver's seat isn't looking too good (BMW). The rest of the interior (excluding the door cards, commom E34 problem) looked almost like brand new, I was amazed by that ngl. Turns out the car was owned by a teacher, single, who drove pretty much always alone, so that's nice. I might rest assured that this car wasn't totally thrashed by previous owners.

It was imported to Portugal in 2000/2001 as well. LPG kit looked fairly recent (a few years old, not months xD) but the dude said that there was an LPG conversion shop nearby which was were the car was converted and the guy responsible for this car would know everything about it because he was the one who took care of its maintenance pretty much. It goes without saying that I didn't find this place, so when I come back to the dealer, if this car is still there, I'm going to ask for directions xD

Other than that the car's body looks pretty good, I think the bonnet on the front has a few little rust spots, not sure how that works, hopefully it's just surface rust and not something critical.

Also, on the advert, the car is listed for 2500€, in the dealer it was listed for 2800€ and he would sell it to me for 1900€ so I could have 600€ to spare to fix the door latch and what not. But honestly, I'm never going to buy it without test driving it first, so, I want that latch fixed before I even go there again. You can see on the listing, the driver's door is open... I actually noticed that but didn't think about a non working latch... Oh well.

This is probably one of the only 520/525i's for sale with cloth interior (which I want waaaaaaay more than leather, especially on a car this old) so, maybe, just maybe, if later this year the car's still there, I might pick it up :D (or maybe not, we'll see...)

Imma shoot him a message asking for the VIN number now, forgot about checking that out, moron.

Why cant you drive it if the latch is broken? 

Just cable tie the door shut as your going along

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

2 hours ago, iDeFecZx said:

Why cant you drive it if the latch is broken? 

Just cable tie the door shut as your going along

Yeah lol, I don't see that happening xD 

10 minutes ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Yeah lol, I don't see that happening xD 

We've taken worse out lmao

We have an XE atm with no front end panels at all inc headlights and bonnet cause theyre trying to find a knocking noise lmao

Interesting thing to see on the road

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

1 minute ago, iDeFecZx said:

We've taken worse out lmao

We have an XE atm with no front end panels at all inc headlights and bonnet cause theyre trying to find a knocking noise lmao

Interesting thing to see on the road

Well, but you don't have a door waiting to open towards oncoming traffic every time you brake xD 

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Yes you can...?

You haven't seen these?

That’s pretty cool. They probably don’t last very long but buying a couple for a job when you know you’ll need them seems worth it 

I wouldn’t use them without oil either

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

2 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Well, but you don't have a door waiting to open towards oncoming traffic every time you brake xD 

Easy fix, I've handled basically every scenario you can muster. This one, one roll of tape. Hop in and have someone tape the door shut. Maybe even tape it around the car for insurance purposes. Take the words from a fabricator. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

@bcredeur97 @warmmilk 

holy s-

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, chaozbandit said:

@bcredeur97 @warmmilk 

holy s-

I shed a tear when I saw that... but I didn't know it was at 160mph... that not bad for a 160mph crash...

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

That was more broken that I thought it was. The steering is suddenly so much more responsive on-center ? lol

E6F66B48-7F0F-4DC5-AC7E-C02DB62F6D0C.jpeg

E1019F21-DCC1-4912-9745-630E2200B78D.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Somebody here was looking into lexus wagons a while back and I just came across this

DSC07338_1.jpg

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

4 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

That was more broken that I thought it was. The steering is suddenly so much more responsive on-center ? lol

E6F66B48-7F0F-4DC5-AC7E-C02DB62F6D0C.jpeg

E1019F21-DCC1-4912-9745-630E2200B78D.jpeg

Wait till you go full poly...

I finally found a new door for my protégé. But, it needs work, big surprise. 

Like completely repainted tho. What's the best option here? I'm leading towards getting a shop to try and color match my car to the door, and just paint the door. It's been top coated before and it's shit work. So bad they literally painted over top of the center trim. And I'll end up replacing the windows cause they're scratched. 

Is the best option getting it sanded down, primed and color matched to my car? Because I finally found a white door, I'd like it to look similar. If you didn't know, mines destroyed lol. How much do you think it'll cost for a shop to paint it? 200 bucks? 

I think if I tried painting such a big piece myself it wouldn't turn out so good. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

On 9/9/2019 at 4:29 AM, chaozbandit said:

Somebody here was looking into lexus wagons a while back and I just came across this

DSC07338_1.jpg

god dammit i want one 

most likely the 2.0 i6 ... cause europe 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

The wagons look awesome, shame a lot of the ones you see for sale in the UK are pretty tatty...and the auto box too... :( 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

might get a job that requires me to own a car for ~6 months, i have found three beaters im kind of interested in but i thought id get your opinions on the whole thing.

The first option is this 1998 Skoda pickup:

Spoiler

image.png.a3eb93341c4172dd9f4a91a4b6541b68.png

i honestly like it a lot, always wanted a small pickup/ute thing. 1.3L engine with 68hp. Looks quite rusty and has really shit paint but nice alloys on it. Runs with a new battery but unknown if there are other issues. Not inspected, no winter tires listed in the add, unknown amount of things to fix to pass inspection. For sure my pick from a looks standpoint, im a big fan of the patina tbh.

second option is a 1996 WV Passat:

Spoiler

image.png.80f324c015a87f72062e09255ecb2f33.png

Looks to have quite a bit of rust around the breaks, but owner says its otherwise pretty nice with no issues beyond the windscreen which looks like its dirty and has some cracks. 115HP 2L engine in this one. "low kms" with 30 000 more KMs on it than the pickup idfk. Comes with winter tires and heater, not inspected. Second in the looks department, the pain seems to be in decent condition and all that.

option three is this 1999 VW Caddy:

Spoiler

image.png.ca49e97104eb71d17da7c27ee34b0fae.png

1.9L 63HP and some rust Alloys in the front, steelies in the rear. Lowest amount of kilometers somehow and in running, working order for sure. Its €250 instead of €200 but has winter tires which im going to need. Inspected for the duration im going to potentially need it. Not a fan of the plastic cover on the back, dont like the color either.

I could get something thats more than €200 but if its this cheap i dont really care what happens to it, i live right smack dab in Stockholm now and will not be needing the car more than six months. After six months i can get a car from the job or i wont be at the job anymore because its a six month trial period. Parking is going to be more than €200 a month too ?

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

@Bananasplit_00
the 3rd option ... 99caddy. thats what my vote goes to .... 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

@Bananasplit_00 I'd say the get the caddy. 

It has everything you need. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

So I bought an 06 Yaris, toyed with that for a month, crashed it into Riley's car, sold it for about the same I paid for it and now I sold my CX-5 and I got a Prius Prime.

Not spending on gas is great thanks

Btw holy fug the panel gaps on Hondas lately.

So I've got a bit of the cash and the time, so looking to finally fix the paint on my car. Its got a few dents here and there (doesn't bother me too much), deep scratches in a few places, that I'm assuming will need a bit of filler, and clear coat damage just under the rear lights. Sick of looking at it and doing nothing about it. 

What would be my best option? I do have a spray gun and an air compressor that I bought a while ago to fix it, so if I can do it myself that would be cool, but I don't know much about car paint. My initial questions would be; what primers do I use?; what would be a list of stuff for me to get the best finish, like do I need thinners etc. 

Probably the question that is most pressing is whether it's really worth doing it myself, or I should just get it professionally done. If I remember it was $400 per panel, and I have two and a bit panels to do, with small fixes here and there. 

13 hours ago, Aprime said:

So I bought an 06 Yaris, toyed with that for a month, crashed it into Riley's car, sold it for about the same I paid for it and now I sold my CX-5 and I got a Prius Prime.

Not spending on gas is great thanks

Btw holy fug the panel gaps on Hondas lately.

Spending money on fuel > Owning a Prius 

I thought I'd share this from the FB group I'm in

image.png.766c54e8023f50fb721199c39feeb954.png

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor