Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

On 9/1/2019 at 11:08 PM, vinyldash303 said:

My main consern with doing leds for lighting on the tahoe was not being like that Tundra you spoke about in the discord some months ago that had light vomiting HIDs. The bulbs I’ve used don’t do that. As long as its not fucking up others, I’m gonna keep running them. The bulbs pattern just as good as the halogens I took out, only difference is I can actually see now. 

Neil DeGrasse Tyson also also laughed at SpaceX developing reusable rockets. Lad’s one of the smartest idiots I’ve ever listened to. I Respect the man, but damn. 

Sure. I’ve got the 6 speed, so it doesn’t have cylinder deactivation. I got 36.7 mpg the other day driving between flagstaff and Payson AZ.

Probably not any worse than what you get now honestly. My J30 gets about the same economy as the k24 of the same generation. I know I’m a bit of a fanboy, and biased because I own one, but man the J30 is a great, underrated engine.

Wow. That would drive me nuts. I like my hydraulic steering, even if it’s crazy heavy in the Accord.

what happened to your post? seems like it got some of my old posts jacked into it. or am I the only one who sees this?

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

On 9/3/2019 at 5:16 PM, veldora said:

Mystichrome from Ford is stolen from Nissan change my mind. 

spacer.png

Pete

1 hour ago, Bitter said:

Had an engine light pop on while I was pussy footin around driving to somewhere with the GF, ran fine so wasn't worried, borrowed the little code reader home and pulled a P0420. Checked the freeze frame, nothing weird, cleared it, took it into work today and my cat is weak but not bad. If I get it hot quickly it looks OK but if I let it cool off and run the engine gently it starts looking worn out, I'll worry about it later on when the light comes on again or more frequently. I'll grab a good high flow high metals converter and have a good exhaust shop weld it in. I'm not great at exhaust welding.

The Dunlop Z3 are super suction cup noisy on smooth cement roads, it's hilariously so much worse than the Z2's were. The do stick nice, haven't pushed it but did give it a couple quick turns and harder stops and they feel nice. I can't wait till the 100 mile probation is up and I can find something twisty to try them on.

RE-71R’s are extremely noisy. The noisiest tire I’ve driven on actually 

but  glued to the road you shall be. Guess it’s just a price you pay 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

1 hour ago, 711jrp said:

spacer.png

That thing is just ugly, what is it. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

52 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

RE-71R’s are extremely noisy. The noisiest tire I’ve driven on actually 

but  glued to the road you shall be. Guess it’s just a price you pay 

They're otherwise fairly tame tires, they take up highway joints well and aren't any louder than other tires for the most part...until you get them on something really smooth. Worn cement, probably glossy worn asphalt, and the sealer tar they use on cracks. The Z2's made the sucker noises on the last two but not the cement, these sucker noise on the cement. It sounds like a cartoon octopus rolling down the road. And I'm stuck to the road like a cartoon octopus too.

16 hours ago, veldora said:

Are you sure those are the only places it's on? It's pretty easy to fix it yourself, not worth paying someone because they're reconstructing a good part of the car at that point. 

that was my largest question was do y'all think that it's something I can more easily repair following something like this

I'm sure there's some underbody rust.

7 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

do not buy mazdas of that and previous generation... unless you can find one from a salt/winter free place ... you will spend like 100x the car is worth on rust repair 

even if I did it myself?

Getting one up here from the southern part of the country would be way too costly tbh

Seriously any car up here, I'd be better off getting down south.

Minnesota's winters absolutely molests cars.

there was a Dodge Dakota that one side of the bed was just horribly rusted. I see lots of 3rd gen 4Runners with rusted away bumpers.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

7 minutes ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

that was my largest question was do y'all think that it's something I can more easily repair following something like this

even if I did it myself?

Getting one up here from the southern part of the country would be way too costly tbh

there was a Dodge Dakota that one side of the bed was just horribly rusted. I see lots of 3rd gen 4Runners with rusted away bumpers.

It's really just knowing the extent. My car had holes in the quarter panels of rust, but no rust anywhere else. Fixing it yourself would be the cheapest option. There's tons of info. But how far you want to get with working on a car you just bought is up to you. I don't think you really wanna work on a car right away after buying it. Especially rust repair, it's not fun work. You're at the mercy of weather if you don't have a garage. 

You'll have to add the cost of grinder wheels(or some power tool to cut off the old metal) and you'll need access to a welder because that's getting into the door jamb. Metal to replace the rust, seam sealer, bondo, primer, paint, clear coat. Not everyone flocks to do it for a reason. 

Wheel wells aren't fun to recreate, because of all the curves you need to bend the metal and bond it to the car. 

Not trying to discourage you, unless you can get the car for cheap. It's a job to fix rust. Especially that much. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

9 minutes ago, veldora said:

It's really just knowing the extent. My car had holes in the quarter panels of rust, but no rust anywhere else. Fixing it yourself would be the cheapest option. There's tons of info. But how far you want to get with working on a car you just bought is up to you. I don't think you really wanna work on a car right away after buying it. Especially rust repair, it's not fun work. You're at the mercy of weather if you don't have a garage. 

You'll have to add the cost of grinder wheels(or some power tool to cut off the old metal) and you'll need access to a welder because that's getting into the door jamb. Metal to replace the rust, seam sealer, bondo, primer, paint, clear coat. Not everyone flocks to do it for a reason. 

Wheel wells aren't fun to recreate, because of all the curves you need to bend the metal and bond it to the car. 

Not trying to discourage you, unless you can get the car for cheap. It's a job to fix rust. Especially that much. 

see yeah, the amount of rust on that one discourages me because well it's beyond what I wanna do.

I found another one that I presume has sold that had way less rust that needed to be taken care of.

Trust me, it sucks living in a northern state and people not taking the best care of their cars and manufacturers not coating their cars right

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

6 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

Trust me, it sucks living in a northern state and people not taking the best care of their cars and manufacturers not coating their cars right

OH I know lol, I live in PA. My car had a bag of salt leak in it with leaky gaskets from my great grandma ?. So imagine water and salt in a trunk. I know. ?

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

7 hours ago, veldora said:

That thing is just ugly, what is it. 

It's an MG ZT, a sporty version of the Rover 75. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

18 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

even if I did it myself?

That DIY rust repair video is mainly on small holes on non structural parts of the car ... or just surface rust ... and IMO not fully the right way to fix rust
the car looks like it will need a lot of rust cut out and new metal welded in and that is not easy or cheap ... and is super time consuming if you want to do it right
this video would be quite good representation on what needs to be done ... if its anywhere nearly as bad as i think the mazda 6 you posted is

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

The thread is back!! Wooohooo

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

And no one posts anything lol

Spoiler

Nothing much going on honestly. Honda came up with this awesome system where they sent us all stripped down samsung galaxy s9+s that use a Honda app to verify proper installation of passenger inflators. You have to use it otherwise your warranty claim is denied. Uses the 3d cameras or whatever. Kinda pointless. The inflators are so fool proof to install. Just unnecessary hoops to jump through because luber goobers that are some reason allowed to install inflators messed up a bunch. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

1 hour ago, vetali said:

Nothing much going on honestly. Honda came up with this awesome system where they sent us all stripped down samsung galaxy s9+s that use a Honda app to verify proper installation of passenger inflators. You have to use it otherwise your warranty claim is denied. Uses the 3d cameras or whatever. Kinda pointless. The inflators are so fool proof to install. Just unnecessary hoops to jump through because luber goobers that are some reason allowed to install inflators messed up a bunch. 

Pretty serious thing if you get it wrong tho so I can see why they are being extra careful 

Spoiler

33 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

Pretty serious thing if you get it wrong tho so I can see why they are being extra careful 

Its fool proof. There are tabs and blockers to prevent installing backwards, upside down, crooked, or any other way. If you can't figure that out, then maybe find a different career because you're gonna screw up a lot worse things that actually will cause an accident. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

5 minutes ago, vetali said:

Its fool proof. There are tabs and blockers to prevent installing backwards, upside down, crooked, or any other way. If you can't figure that out, then maybe find a different career because you're gonna screw up a lot worse things that actually will cause an accident. 

Reminds me of the kid in my brakes class that got the box end of the wrench stuck on the line while he was working on a car. Teacher took him aside and gently suggested he find a different career path.

21 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Reminds me of the kid in my brakes class that got the box end of the wrench stuck on the line while he was working on a car. Teacher took him aside and gently suggested he find a different career path.

I remember when I was in school we had basic tasks that had to be done every quarter. One was drilling a hole in 3/8 steel and tapping it then torquing it. This dude drilled it fine. Then he put the tap on the drill and I stopped him because I didn't feel like extracting it.

Another time in school I was putting a transmission in a ranger, which was harder than I thought it would be. Anyway I had my partner go to the front and guide me to the bell housing because the converter studs. Dude says hold on so I figure hes gonna adjust something. He takes the torque convertor and pulls it to the flexplate, detaching it from the pump. 

Our school was attached to the welding shop too, and of course every welder ever has to drive a big lifted piece of shit diesel. One guy happened to bring his 30 foot trailer along with him and parked it pretty far back from our bays. Enough to maneuver cars in and out at least. Somebody takes the car out full send in reverse right into the trailer. 

None of those people made it past their first quarter. 

29 minutes ago, vetali said:

Then he put the tap on the drill

A small part of me died when I read that.

Though I would have gently warned him that if he got it stuck he'd have to extract it himself. Then see if he picks up or not

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I mean they do make those drill and tap in one step bits. I hear they're kind of awesome!

I’m by no means a mechanic but at least I know a tap isn’t really meant to be used with a drill, lol. 

Spoiler

I just learned that you basically cannot get an aftermarket rebuilt steering wheel with heating.

That means that if I were to get an aftermarket wheel (chiefly as a way of adding paddles) I would have to give up my heated steering wheel.

That's kind of depressing.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I mean they do make those drill and tap in one step bits. I hear they're kind of awesome!

Still can't use them on a drill ?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

21 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

I’m by no means a mechanic but at least I know a tap isn’t really meant to be used with a drill, lol. 

Dude wasn't bright. One of those guys that finished high school, took on a career of smoking weed and call of duty for 5 years before somebody forced him to get a job/go to school. By then his brain was already fried. 

3 hours ago, vetali said:

I remember when I was in school we had basic tasks that had to be done every quarter. One was drilling a hole in 3/8 steel and tapping it then torquing it. This dude drilled it fine. Then he put the tap on the drill and I stopped him because I didn't feel like extracting it.

Another time in school I was putting a transmission in a ranger, which was harder than I thought it would be. Anyway I had my partner go to the front and guide me to the bell housing because the converter studs. Dude says hold on so I figure hes gonna adjust something. He takes the torque convertor and pulls it to the flexplate, detaching it from the pump. 

Our school was attached to the welding shop too, and of course every welder ever has to drive a big lifted piece of shit diesel. One guy happened to bring his 30 foot trailer along with him and parked it pretty far back from our bays. Enough to maneuver cars in and out at least. Somebody takes the car out full send in reverse right into the trailer. 

None of those people made it past their first quarter. 

We had a lad drain the oil out of a car without a drainer or anything beneath him. His solution? Try and catch it with his hands . . .

This same guy also tried putting a complete suspension strut in through the top mount hole

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h