Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

1 hour ago, PandaCopyRight said:

i guess you have never seen a true mazda ?

but its not just jap cars ... its like nearly all cars of that era ... some where better some where worse 

The evo's I've seen were terrible lol, and they've been imported already. Which means someone was like yeah the rust isnt that bad. And my mazda sat for 3 years on a road, that's why she need rust repair... Interesting. 

Around here mazdas aren't nearly that bad, but we rarely see them. It's usually the farmer Joe trucks,but unlike other states mine doesn't allow that on the road so... That's probably why I don't see that. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

10 minutes ago, veldora said:

The evo's I've seen were terrible lol, and they've been imported already. Which means someone was like yeah the rust isnt that bad. And my mazda sat for 3 years on a road, that's why she need rust repair... Interesting. 

Around here mazdas aren't nearly that bad, but we rarely see them. It's usually the farmer Joe trucks,but unlike other states mine doesn't allow that on the road so... That's probably why I don't see that. 

yeah, people care about evos here too much to let them rust ... mainly since you cant easily import one from japan where i am

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

On 9/16/2019 at 10:17 PM, Ross Siggers said:

Aside from having the rust repaired and a new spoiler(not pictured), I have to admit that I'm a bit of a nerd for factory options. No scrap that, a total fucking nerdI've been sourcing parts and wiring looms for all sort of rarer factory options, for years now. All boxed up and labelled, waiting for the day they can all get fitted.

And seeing as I've also decided to give black interior a go, it was the perfect time. The whole white/grey interior came out, carpet and all, so everything electrical could be properly retrofitted; wiring under the carpets, mounts for new modules etc. Some looms I had were complete, but some had to be cut out of donor cars. So auto electrician buddy helped me out, manufacturing me new looms using the original connectors. Aside from the electrical, I also added some less common interior trims

List of parts added;

- Heated seats
- Electric seats
- Cruise control
- Headlight washers
- Harmon Kardon soundsystem
- Electric rear pop-out windows
- Parking sensors

- Roller blind parcelshelf

- 'Extended'(leather trimmed) dashboard

It was a good spec car before, as E36's go...but now, I can safely call it 'mega' :D:D 

PepperyRectangularLeafcutterant-size_restricted.gif

I also downloaded a pdf file with all the E34's factory options. I was quite mermerized looking at it xD I do recognize those passenger reading lights from it tho ahahah and the Nardi Woodline wheel, very nice build dude!

On 9/17/2019 at 6:21 PM, Ross Siggers said:

I'm so very tempted to pick up an E46 M right now...they're probably at the lowest they'll ever be. Regarded as one of the best M3's, and they start at around £6-7k these days which is bonkers. But I'd have to sell my 36 to afford one. Sell a car that's already appreciating...to get a car that is still depretiating, but with more potential as a classic, way down the line?  

Personally as much as I'd love to I don't have the time or money to store/run an E46 M to the standard I'd want to.

E46 M3's are now being listed for 40k€ here. Which I find absolutely ridiculous. But the used car market here is absolute shit so... I was entirely not expecting it. But yeah, selling that E36 for an M3, although desirable, I don't think it would be such good a deal.

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

6 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

E46 M3's are now being listed for 40k€ here. Which I find absolutely ridiculous. But the used car market here is absolute shit so... I was entirely not expecting it. But yeah, selling that E36 for an M3, although desirable, I don't think it would be such good a deal.

The E46 M3 is a better car, in almost every single way, as well as being a genuine M car which mine isn't... GAH they're so affordable right now! But I'm also poor af so it's not affordable enough xD If it were the same value as my car, then I'd strongly consider it, but even if I returned my car to stock and sold all the extra parts individually, it wouldn't be enough to get a good example.

I'd probably want to put £8-9k into an E46 M3, which over here is enough to get you a very nice standard one...but not a modded one, or a 'garage queen' that you'd be scared to drive; It's a happy medium price. My car standard is probably £2-3k, and all my spares and parts total around £3k. But it's hard to put an exact price on the car itself, the market is a bit volatile right now; they're in that funny space, where they're starting to appreciate in value...but people don't want to accept that, so there's always huge arguments when you see a strongly priced example xD 

6 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I also downloaded a pdf file with all the E34's factory options. I was quite mermerized looking at it xD I do recognize those passenger reading lights from it tho ahahah and the Nardi Woodline wheel, very nice build dude!

I'm always amazed at seeing high spec E38 7-series....I mean, electric heated seats, radio controls, TV's, tables, electric blinds on the side doors...and this is just the REAR. They're super baller, maybe I'll just get one of those and cruuuiise :D 

You'd probably be interested in the other electrical thing I had fitted. I didn't mention it on the other post because it's not finished, but it's an electric rear blind, which was never an option on the E36. It's a combination of parts from FOUR different cars; E31, E34, E36 and E46 :o 

⠀⠀⠀⣴⣴⡤
⠀⣠⠀⢿⠇⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⢷⡗
⠀⢶⢽⠿⣗⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⡧⠂⠀⠀⣼⣷⡆
⠀⠀⣾⢶⠐⣱⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣤⣜⣻⣧⣲⣦⠤⣧⣿⠶
⠀⢀⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠛⠿⣿⣿⣷⣤⣄⡹⣿⣷
⠀⢸⣿⢸⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠙⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿
⠀⠿⠃⠈⠿⠆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⠿⠿⠿

⠀⢀⢀⡀⠀⢀⣤⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⡀
⠀⣿⡟⡇⠀⠭⡋⠅⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢰⣟⢿
⠀⣹⡌⠀⠀⣨⣾⣷⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⢈⠔⠌
⠰⣷⣿⡀⢐⢿⣿⣿⢻⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⡿⡤⣴⠄⢀⣀⡀
⠘⣿⣿⠂⠈⢸⣿⣿⣸⠀⠀⠀⢘⣿⣿⣀⡠⣠⣺⣿⣷
⠀⣿⣿⡆⠀⢸⣿⣿⣾⡇⠀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣗⣻⡻⠿⠁
⠀⣿⣿⡇⠀⢸⣿⣿⡇⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁

3 minutes ago, Ross Siggers said:

You'd probably be interested in the other electrical thing I had fitted. I didn't mention it on the other post because it's not finished, but it's an electric rear blind, which was never an option on the E36. It's a combination of parts from FOUR different cars; E31, E34, E36 and E46 :o 

Holy, that's a nice addition :D

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

I don't appreciate these memes I've been seeing on Instagram. 

Screenshot_20190919-135030_Instagram.thumb.jpg.817a6643f57f5e37878c63c7311d911c.jpg

On the other hand, has anyone else been watching Rob dahm? He's getting closer to running his 26b on his engine stand! Wild.i can't imagine the costs lol 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

On 9/16/2019 at 5:02 PM, chaozbandit said:

@warmmilk

I love Kels!

On 9/18/2019 at 10:10 AM, MEC-777 said:

This is going to be an awesome racing series. Can't wait. And just listen to that glorious V8 music! :D

@chaozbandit @warmmilk

I never expected to see a Coyote V8 in an open wheel race car... this thing is awesome!

HP something | 5600X | Corsair  16GB | Zotac ArcticStorm GTX 1080 Ti | Samsung 840 Pro 256GB | OCZ Agility 3 480GB | ADATA SP550 960 GB

Corsair AX860i | CaseLabs SM8 | EK Supremacy | UT60 420 | ST30 360 | ST30 240

Gentle Typhoon's and Noctua's and Noiseblocker eLoop's

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

I Have not noticed rust issues on Toyotas. I see plenty of 2000's/late '90s Corollas and Camrys around here (which while we don't have the harshest winters, they still salt like there's no tommrow) and I have not noticed rust on them, though that's just from what I see passing them. I also see a Geo Prizm almost every day without noticeable rust, though that doesn't move much if at all.

The only Mitsubishis I see here are their newer CUVs, so can't say anything about that.

Rust can be a problem for ALL old cars. It's up to the owner to look after the car properly, many manufacturers sprayed rust protection agents on their vehicles but after so long it looses its effectiveness and does nothing to protect the car. The owner should ideally get the car sprayed regularly to prevent critical rust forming but of course they don't and therefore end up with rust buckets. At the end of the day many manufacturers did all they could to prevent rust, heck even dealers offered to do regular resprays as part of the guarantee but many people simply refused the service. I think many manufacturers are sometimes unfairly blamed for rust issues, yet you can always spot the good owners driving around in original un-restored 20 odd year old cars even cars that are well known to have bad rust problems. Heard of Rover? Cars under this marque were well known for bad rust issues yet I still see many R8 200's/R3 200's/25's, R6 Metro's/100's, R8 400's/HH-R 400's/45's & 75's on the road with only a few minimal scabby rust areas. Just shows you how far a bit of caring goes. 

Edited by LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

1 hour ago, Kaloob said:

I Have not noticed rust issues on Toyotas. I see plenty of 2000's/late '90s Corollas and Camrys around here (which while we don't have the harshest winters, they still salt like there's no tommrow) and I have not noticed rust on them, though that's just from what I see passing them. I also see a Geo Prizm almost every day without noticeable rust, though that doesn't move much if at all.

The only Mitsubishis I see here are their newer CUVs, so can't say anything about that.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

2 minutes ago, Kaloob said:

Forgot about the tacos, I'll edit my post to reflect that. 

Any body on frame toyota is rust prone. Their cars aren't bad though. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

1 minute ago, vetali said:

Any body on frame toyota is rust prone. Their cars aren't bad though. 

not mine!

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

1 hour ago, warmmilk said:

I love Kels!

I never expected to see a Coyote V8 in an open wheel race car... this thing is awesome!

Apparently he ripped it at Mosport midweek and noone was around to know about it. >:

Faster than a GT3 Cup Platinum driver with no assists in the porker.

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

2 hours ago, FuzzyYellow said:

not mine!

*2nd frame

honestly not sure what I should do

I can borrow up to $5,000 pending income verification, however I wanna keep my costs below around $300 between insurance and loan.

The reason I'm taking out a loan for a car is that I want to be able to maybe have more incentive to start driving if I'm financially responsible for it.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

3 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

how hard do you all think it'd be to repair this rust and staining? jn6top.png

It's probably pretty fucked behind the plastic running  board skirt things on both sides. I doubt you'd be able to lift it to change a flat tire without the body collapsing and crushing from all the rust. Slide under it and start tapping the body with a small hammer, it should go clank, maybe thud, but shouldn't punch holes or knock off huge chunks of car. But from the photo it's probably already fucked.

2 minutes ago, Bitter said:

It's probably pretty fucked behind the plastic running  board skirt things on both sides. I doubt you'd be able to lift it to change a flat tire without the body collapsing and crushing from all the rust. Slide under it and start tapping the body with a small hammer, it should go clank, maybe thud, but shouldn't punch holes or knock off huge chunks of car. But from the photo it's probably already fucked.

interesting good to know

9 hours ago, pinksnowbirdie said:

how hard do you all think it'd be to repair this rust and staining? jn6top.png

that is gonna be expensive .... or not ... only can tell if you start taking the car apart to check the damage 

seems like you need to look for some less rust prone car models ... or just settle for a rusty car ... or get a rust free one from a climate where you can find a rust free one in your budget

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

It’s alive! 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

I know its a longshot but, anyone here has tuning experience with Kess v2 clones? or tuning an NA engine with turbo slapped to its side using a stock ecu? I cant get original Kess V2 and nobody here has enough experience (also has a genuine kess v2) with tuning to let them tune it for me.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

or get a rust free one from a climate where you can find a rust free one in your budget

well that's not gonna happen because I don't have money for that.

that is gonna be expensive .... or not ... only can tell if you start taking the car apart to check the damage 

seems like you need to look for some less rust prone car models ... or just settle for a rusty car ...

meh

I guess I see this really often at work because some of our customers are low income and they get trapped. They can't afford a decent car so they get a really cheap one that they're constantly pouring money into fix, can't ever get caught up fixing it, and in the end when they finally give up or it breaks beyond their ability to afford they've dumped in more money than if they'd just bought something decent to begin with. I've seen people spend, over 2-3 years, $5,000 on a $1000 car when they could have just spend $6000 up front and gotten a car that wouldn't have milked $5k out of them like that. $1000 car has shit tires, spend $400 on tires now it's a $1400 car. Needs a radiator, now it's a $1700 car. Brake lines rusted out and burst, now it's a $2200 car. Caliper seized up, now it's a $2500 car. Trans took a shit, now it's a $4000 car. So on and so on until something un-repairable rusts through or they've sunk so much money into it that they can't afford to keep fixing it and throw away the car AND all the money they've spent on it as it's too broken to re-sell to anyone but a junk yard for $75.

You don't have to move to a warmer climate to get a clean car, take a car shopping vacation lol. I'm sure you've got friends or family who live down south? Go visit, pick out a good car, take it to a local shop to check it out, drive it home. Because used cars last longer down south there's more for sale and they're cheaper. Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. All states without salt, with pretty much no winter, and where flooding isn't a huge thing to watch out for used cars since they have no salt water coasts. Even Southern IL and IN are fine, pretty much south of Indy and Springfield out in the country you can get a cheap used car that's solid.

Post up what you're considering, tag me, I'll give you my opinion about it and if I think they're asking a fair price.

7 minutes ago, Bitter said:

I guess I see this really often at work because some of our customers are low income and they get trapped. They can't afford a decent car so they get a really cheap one that they're constantly pouring money into fix, can't ever get caught up fixing it, and in the end when they finally give up or it breaks beyond their ability to afford they've dumped in more money than if they'd just bought something decent to begin with. I've seen people spend, over 2-3 years, $5,000 on a $1000 car when they could have just spend $6000 up front and gotten a car that wouldn't have milked $5k out of them like that. $1000 car has shit tires, spend $400 on tires now it's a $1400 car. Needs a radiator, now it's a $1700 car. Brake lines rusted out and burst, now it's a $2200 car. Caliper seized up, now it's a $2500 car. Trans took a shit, now it's a $4000 car. So on and so on until something un-repairable rusts through or they've sunk so much money into it that they can't afford to keep fixing it and throw away the car AND all the money they've spent on it as it's too broken to re-sell to anyone but a junk yard for $75.

You don't have to move to a warmer climate to get a clean car, take a car shopping vacation lol. I'm sure you've got friends or family who live down south? Go visit, pick out a good car, take it to a local shop to check it out, drive it home. Because used cars last longer down south there's more for sale and they're cheaper. Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc. All states without salt, with pretty much no winter, and where flooding isn't a huge thing to watch out for used cars since they have no salt water coasts. Even Southern IL and IN are fine, pretty much south of Indy and Springfield out in the country you can get a cheap used car that's solid.

Post up what you're considering, tag me, I'll give you my opinion about it and if I think they're asking a fair price.

you'd laugh at the civic I bought. Honestly was sort of a mistake I went a bit too cheap.

At least there's no rust and I can fix it myself lol

also car taxes are awful here if you're honest about them

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

You wouldn't believe some of the cars I see at the shop. Sometimes I post pictures of the nice ones not the clunkers and we get some clunkers. Some of them I can only service on the drive on rack because there's nothing solid enough under them to use as lift points for the 2 post lifts. Not even joking.

IMG_20190911_143242.jpg

IMG_20190911_143204.jpg

IMG_20190911_143153.jpg

10 minutes ago, Bitter said:

You wouldn't believe some of the cars I see at the shop. Sometimes I post pictures of the nice ones not the clunkers and we get some clunkers. Some of them I can only service on the drive on rack because there's nothing solid enough under them to use as lift points for the 2 post lifts. Not even joking.

-snip-

Guessing inspection places just slap new stickers on cars there without actually inspecting them like they do here

Spoiler