Car Enthusiast Club [Now Motorcycle friendly!] - First thread to 150k! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

techswede
Go to solution Solved by techswede,
26 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't lump me in with them. I'm an enthusiast of mechanic design, be it engines, weaponry, or productive machinery. Not a guy with a wrench that reads the marketing garbage AFE/insert other "enthusiast" brand that can't legally warranty half of their products.

I fail to see a correlation between people screeching variations of "forced induction is more efficient!!! Reclaimed energy!!!" and anything I've said.

If you can't be civil. Please leave

Edit. That goes for everyone in the thread

3 minutes ago, veldora said:

Just bought this seam sealer for 15 bucks. I didn't have a chaulk gun the right size so I cut the top off, and used what I needed. 

I think I got a dollars use out of er. 

But I spent a couple hours filling a hole so I figured I might as well plug it right. Didn't know sealing seams would cost me so much. 

- snip -

Kinda off-topic, but that looks like you bit into your ice-cream..

The application is uh, done. 

20190831_155836.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

Many hours of research :D 
as a bit of a saab fan .. i quite like these, especially the facelift ones so might seem biased xD 

Some were available AWD ... or XWD as Saab called it.
Depending on what power output it has ... it either has the bigger or smaller turbo (which are mostly interchangeable and should be reliable)
Garett GT2052s for the smaller turbo and Mitsubishi TD04-14T for the larger one ... there was a smaller mitsubishi one for some other middle models but i dont remember much about that 
the TD04 has many different versions ... 15T being used on the 2.8T V6 saabs ... with a 18T or 19T being a common performance upgrade 

B207 engine is know to be able to hold a ton of power reliably in case you want to go into tuning them.
I think the highest output one was 210hp but not fully sure, while the lower ones were 150 (these were labeled as 1.8t but still the same 2.0L B207 engine) or 175hp
All of those power stages can get like 250hp with the biggest turbo and an ecu remap :P 

shouldnt be difficult to get parts since its still mostly a GM car even after saab changed everything :D 

Maybe @RevoltTrain has something to add since he owns one 

How's fuel economy? :D

And thank god about the spare parts.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

How's fuel economy? :D

And thank god about the spare parts.

with a 6 speed ... better than the subarus :D

with a 5 speed ... not as good, still should be better ... 

sadly cant tell exact numbers ... @RevoltTrain is the one to ask real life numbers 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

sadly cant tell exact numbers ... @RevoltTrain is the one to ask real life numbers 

I think the listing is for an AT one :(

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

they had both 5 and 6 gears as automatic and manual ... dont remember what years and models got which ...
so that shouldnt really mater 

Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Formula Ram - Kingston HyperX Fury 1866mhz CL10 16GBCPU - Intel i7 4790K ;

GPU - Gainward RTX 2070 Phantom ; PSU - Corsair RM750x Cooler - CM Hyper 212 EVO

WTH ?!? A car thread on LTT... Awesome !!

My Car:

Porsche 964 C4 1990

I have had the car for almost 7 years.

When I bought the car it had a few issues with the engine and suspension.

I did a lot of work to the car during the first winter.

Adjustable coil-overs front and back + new bushings in the front suspension.

RS engine mounts, Oxygen sensor, Oil pressure sensor, Rebuilt the alternator (did not do the alternator myself).

Replaced the engine covers on front+left+rear (these covers direct the air coming from the engine fan).

Replaced the entire exhaust (except the exhaust manifold) with 100 cell cat, cup pipe (rear muffler delete pipe), rear sport muffler.

Also replaced my original D90 wheels and upgraded the stereo (for long journeys you need some good music ?).

For the next new years I only did some small mods (cup mirrors, front splitter, intake for brake cooling) and just regular maintenance like oil changes, valve adjustments, etc..

This last winter I wanted to replace my clutch and flywheel but I ran into a few problems during the removal of the engine.

To be able to fix the car myself I needed a lot of tools/equipment that I did not have in my own garage (welding gear, engine jack + stand, etc).

And I didn't really have the time to fix it due to a few personal reasons so I contacted a mechanic who owns a workshop that specializes in older Porsches.

I shipped the car down to his workshop and while the car was there I decided to let him do a complete rebuild of the engine.

He told me that the engine was in decent condition with only small wearing on the engine bearings but of course everything was replaced anyway. 

With the new clutch and flywheel it feels much better to drive.

My old dual mass flywheel was completely locked up and the clutch totally worn out.

Love this car !

It is not my dream car but close.

My real dream car is a black Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo (Bad Boys) but that is a bit to expensive for me.

IMG_1230.JPG

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

5 minutes ago, Boyohan said:

My Car:

Porsche 964 C4 1990

I have had the car for almost 7 years.

When I bought the car it had a few issues with the engine and suspension.

I did a lot of work to the car during the first winter.

Adjustable coil-overs front and back + new bushings in the front suspension.

RS engine mounts, Oxygen sensor, Oil pressure sensor, Rebuilt the alternator (did not do the alternator myself).

Replaced the engine covers on front+left+rear (these covers direct the air coming from the engine fan).

Replaced the entire exhaust (except the exhaust manifold) with 100 cell cat, cup pipe (rear muffler delete pipe), rear sport muffler.

Also replaced my original D90 wheels and upgraded the stereo (for long journeys you need some good music ?).

For the next new years I only did some small mods (cup mirrors, front splitter, intake for brake cooling) and just regular maintenance like oil changes, valve adjustments, etc..

This last winter I wanted to replace my clutch and flywheel but I ran into a few problems during the removal of the engine.

To be able to fix the car myself I needed a lot of tools/equipment that I did not have in my own garage (welding gear, engine jack + stand, etc).

And I didn't really have the time to fix it due to a few personal reasons so I contacted a mechanic who owns a workshop that specializes in older Porsches.

I shipped the car down to his workshop and while the car was there I decided to let him do a complete rebuild of the engine.

He told me that the engine was in decent condition with only small wearing on the engine bearings but of course everything was replaced anyway. 

With the new clutch and flywheel it feels much better to drive.

My old dual mass flywheel was completely locked up and the clutch totally worn out.

Love this car !

It is not my dream car but close.

My real dream car is a black Porsche 964 3.6 Turbo (Bad Boys) but that is a bit to expensive for me.

that is one beautiful car!

1 hour ago, Boyohan said:

My Car:

-snip-

Reminds me of the Yellowbird

2017-RUF-CTR-4.jpg

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Reminds me of the Yellowbird

the yelowbirds body is based of the 964.
At least the one you posted is ;) 

1 minute ago, PandaCopyRight said:

I knew there was a resemblance!

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I knew there was a resemblance!

there were 2 versions of the Yellowbird IIRC
one based on the 930 and the other on 964
image.png.8283908d9c1eb5527d68aaa2516f63c7.png

21 minutes ago, PandaCopyRight said:

That’s one of my favorite colors on early Porsches ??

CPU: i9 9900K   Cooler: NH-D15   RAM: Kingston Fury 4 x 8GB 3600MHz CL17   Mobo: ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F   GPU: ASUS 3080 TUF   Case: In Win D-Frame   PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (OS), 500GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe (Games), 2TB Crucial BX500 SSD (Storage)   Monitor: Samsung Odyssey Neo G9. 

Those are some beautiful porsche babies. 

Seam sealer takes 24 hours to cure enough to sand, ugh. And earlier when I was painting the other side of my car, the primer didn't fully cure. So I peeled off the masking tape, and the top white coat was dried on top of the wet primer and came with the tape. ? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

On 8/21/2019 at 12:59 PM, iDeFecZx said:

Pfft, we've had them for years

Yeah but you never get to drive them because the gas is too expensive :P

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

5 hours ago, arnavvr said:

Yeah but you never get to drive them because the gas is too expensive :P

Youd be surprised how much some larger engined cars get driven over here.

Needs money for car parts :P

System specs: Core i7 9700k, Dark Rock Pro 4 , MSI Z390 PRO, 16GB CORSAIR VENGENCE DDR4 3000, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair AX860, Seagate 1TB, Sandisk 240GB SSD, Corsair 400c

My Steam Profile (from SteamDB)

• Worth: £654 (£221 with sales)
  • Games owned: 62
  • Games played: 52 (83%)
  • Hours on record: 2,980.7h

Who said you had to have a fast car to have fun...

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

BMW or no car.

I have an E38 730d with an E60 535d injectors and turbos. Makes about 300hp(not dynod but beats the 735i e38 easily). Auto trans holds well.

My diy rust repair is done, it didn't turn out bad. I had to pick up more paint and I picked up a different white that actually matches better and it looks great. Now it just has to dry. Though it's only going to get 21 hours less than what it calls for before I drive it... I think it'll be fine. 

I think masking areas off just creates harsh lines. I do better without tape, and I just clean up over spray. 

20190901_122144.jpg

20190901_122156.jpg

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

On 8/31/2019 at 12:26 PM, Energycore said:

You seem to know your stuff.

Got any dirt on this one?

It's a 2008 Saab 9-3, 2.0 Turbo. Been eyeing it because it's around $5k and seems(?) to be in good condition

Honestly, depending on mileage and options, that could be a very nice deal

On 8/31/2019 at 2:03 PM, PandaCopyRight said:

Many hours of research :D 
as a bit of a saab fan .. i quite like these, especially the facelift ones so might seem biased xD 

Some were available AWD ... or XWD as Saab called it.
Depending on what power output it has ... it either has the bigger or smaller turbo (which are mostly interchangeable and should be reliable)
Garett GT2052s for the smaller turbo and Mitsubishi TD04-14T for the larger one ... there was a smaller mitsubishi one for some other middle models but i dont remember much about that 
the TD04 has many different versions ... 15T being used on the 2.8T V6 saabs ... with a 18T or 19T being a common performance upgrade 

B207 engine is know to be able to hold a ton of power reliably in case you want to go into tuning them.
I think the highest output one was 210hp but not fully sure, while the lower ones were 150 (these were labeled as 1.8t but still the same 2.0L B207 engine) or 175hp
All of those power stages can get like 250hp with the biggest turbo and an ecu remap :P 

shouldnt be difficult to get parts since its still mostly a GM car even after saab changed everything :D 

Maybe @RevoltTrain has something to add since he owns one 

Parts are still honestly very easy to find, especially go fast bits, and tunes :D

Still been holding off on tuning the 9-3 

21 hours ago, PandaCopyRight said:

With the 5 speed A/T my 9-3 has I can still get higher 30's if not lower 40's in highway MPG, which isn't bad at all

21 hours ago, Energycore said:

Mine has the 5 speed A/T, and honestly, it's really responsive, never hunts for gears, and shifts fairly quickly

17 hours ago, vinyldash303 said:

Got this thing running right with a local tuner. Final numbers, 295 horse and 300 pounds of torue at the wheels. 

Damn, thing sounds good for a just normal old Tahoe. Stoked you got that thing back on the road, now the real test is to bring it out this way sometime :P

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

21 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

With the 5 speed A/T my 9-3 has I can still get higher 30's if not lower 40's in highway MPG, which isn't bad at all

Miata 5 speeds have a 5th gear that’s geared longer than the 6th gear in the 6 speeds. 

So 5/6 speed really isn’t better or worse for gas mileage. Just matters what the final speeds gear ratio is and the diff

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

10 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Honestly, depending on mileage and options, that could be a very nice deal

I don't have the dough to pay for it upfront right now but I'm thinking very hard about it.

It's a 2008 with 77000km (48k miles) though I've heard that people can trick the mileage meter to show less than it actually is, so the listing might be deceitful. And it's $4.5k. https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-703972261-saab-9-3-20-turbo-_JM

(exchange rate for mexican peso is 20:1 though cars are generally cheaper here)

There's a 2003 model for just under $3k also

10 hours ago, RevoltTrain said:

Mine has the 5 speed A/T, and honestly, it's really responsive, never hunts for gears, and shifts fairly quickly

Stop or you'll make me buy this thing lol

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

When you think the Focus RS is a “small” car and you see this

26AB079E-13C4-4C9B-B58F-A9861A796F29.jpeg

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

51 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I don't have the dough to pay for it upfront right now but I'm thinking very hard about it.

It's a 2008 with 77000km (48k miles) though I've heard that people can trick the mileage meter to show less than it actually is, so the listing might be deceitful. And it's $4.5k. https://auto.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-703972261-saab-9-3-20-turbo-_JM

(exchange rate for mexican peso is 20:1 though cars are generally cheaper here)

There's a 2003 model for just under $3k also

13 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Stop or you'll make me buy this thing lol

I paid a little less than 4K for my 05 with ~60K Miles on it. That is a very solid deal. I've not personally seen anyone able to trick the odometers in these cars. Saab was very good about preventing that kind of thing. Absolutely love mine, just have to fight the urge to modify it, until I've got another daily around. If you end up with the means to bring it home, at least definitely take it on a test drive. I love the way mine drives. Especially the way the torque comes in and carries all the way to redline, you never really have to ring the car out to get it moving

58382593_282976595984999_8473208208507273216_n.thumb.jpg.b9c76bec5d576c7f0a2ec8138c89fe62.jpg

828241200_37765314_2063452727059641_1110758914468610048_o(1).thumb.jpg.b71658a7ae5f1c3f8b1c1c754d156fb3.jpg

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

38 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

When you think the Focus RS is a “small” car and you see this

26AB079E-13C4-4C9B-B58F-A9861A796F29.jpeg

I know that feeling. I think my Celica isn't that small until I'm next to modern 'sporty' small cars and I'm like...damn my Celica is small but then I park next to a MR-2 Spyder or a Miata and I'm like damn THAT is a small car!

The first time my GF's mother saw my car was in Chicago, they ended up driving together in the mothers car behind me for a bit and her mother kept saying how tiny my car was, they could see clear over the top of my car from their Ford Edge. Makes me nervous when a Semi truck pulls up behind me like if they're not paying attention they probably can't even tell I'm there over the hood of their truck.