So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

37 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

At this point the only logical answer I've had is because Apple wants it for Macs and I'm struggling to believe that's true.

Nvidias laptop sales are exclusively that weird form factor that's full desktop but smaller so yeah, I suppose you've got a point. Vega can hold up against the 1050s & 1060s but then you gotta ask if it's worth cannibalising Intel's entire iGPU lineup just to spite Nvidia in the mid range laptop market?

The more basic issue is there is a need for a lot more GPU power in a bunch of low-power spaces that Intel can't provide due to GPU Patents. AMD & Nvidia control that market almost completely. So,what is Intel to do? They will likely make more money, and open up further space in Mobile/Low-power, by this deal with AMD. Those 1060 through 1080 GPU modules for laptops are running in the 150-400 USD range to the OEM. That's a market Intel would like to keep Nvidia shoved away from. Even if that market is also fairly new.

Other this is that it prevents Apple from going too far away from Intel for the near future. Apple is bringing almost all production in-house over the next decade, which probably should worry AMD more than Intel, but it's a product that Apple has a use for it. I also expect it to show up in a bunch of 2-in-1s, along with Intel's NUC line. (Those NUCs are a lot more popular than people think.)

On 11/6/2017 at 10:50 AM, Abyssal Radon said:

Awesome, but have to wait for benchmarks... final performance numbers is going to matter. AMD time to step up your shitty ass video card drivers.

both sides have equal drivers based on my experience with a mixture of older and new cards from both teams. 

(were talking from 9800gtx-970 on one side and hd5750s and an even older one on a laptop.)

Edited by GDRRiley

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

I very much doubt Raja was "fired" for Vega. AMD has been having trouble keeping vega in stock due to crypto's increase in demand, and vega looks to be a success on the low/mobile to mid end. It was a disappointment for enthusiasts who wanted to see AMD compete at the highest levels with Nvidia but AMD seems to be printing money right now either way.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The more basic issue is there is a need for a lot more GPU power in a bunch of low-power spaces that Intel can't provide due to GPU Patents. AMD & Nvidia control that market almost completely. So,what is Intel to do? They will likely make more money, and open up further space in Mobile/Low-power, by this deal with AMD. Those 1060 through 1080 GPU modules for laptops are running in the 150-400 USD range to the OEM. That's a market Intel would like to keep Nvidia shoved away from. Even if that market is also fairly new.

Other this is that it prevents Apple from going too far away from Intel for the near future. Apple is bringing almost all production in-house over the next decade, which probably should worry AMD more than Intel, but it's a product that Apple has a use for it. I also expect it to show up in a bunch of 2-in-1s, along with Intel's NUC line. (Those NUCs are a lot more popular than people think.)

OK that's a very eloquent explanation that makes sense, sort of. I still don't see why Intel cares about Nvidias share of laptop GPUs but I see your overall point. Intel wants in to the game and the only way to get in is with a competitor. Fair enough.

As for the Apple discussion, there's been rumors of Apple switching consumer Macs over to ARM for a while now and hackers found the beginnings of ARM specific code in macOS back when Sierra launched.

I think Apple will have a more powerful variant of its iPhone SoC (like Tegra Vs Tegra X) in all its consumer products quite soon anyway. It's kills so many birds for them, in house control over hardware, iOS and macOS inter compatibility and it kills the hackintosh scene dead.

Sure the Mac Pros will always need desktop CPUs but iMacs could easily be converted to ARM without to much hassle.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

I've been thinking about this quite a bit... What if Raja goes to the Blue Team? It would be crazy seeing Intel dGPU's alongside Nvidia and AMD. 3D Xpoint could be a good choice for a high-bandwidth GPU as it offers lower latency. Intel could properly thread their graphics driver for their CPU's like Vega and Ryzen from AMD. 

3D Xpoint is slower than RAM

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

13 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

OK that's a very eloquent explanation that makes sense, sort of. I still don't see why Intel cares about Nvidias share of laptop GPUs but I see your overall point. Intel wants in to the game and the only way to get in is with a competitor. Fair enough.

As for the Apple discussion, there's been rumors of Apple switching consumer Macs over to ARM for a while now and hackers found the beginnings of ARM specific code in macOS back when Sierra launched.

I think Apple will have a more powerful variant of its iPhone SoC (like Tegra Vs Tegra X) in all its consumer products quite soon anyway. It's kills so many birds for them, in house control over hardware, iOS and macOS inter compatibility and it kills the hackintosh scene dead.

Sure the Mac Pros will always need desktop CPUs but iMacs could easily be converted to ARM without to much hassle.

High-end Compute has shifted over to banks of GPUs. That's part of why Nvidia is making so much money suddenly. Nvidia & Intel compete in a bunch of end-user & consumer-product spaces now. (See the stuff going on with Tesla and Autonomous Driving.) So Intel has an important value in keeping Nvidia out of as many spaces as possible.  This move brings on new products Apple can sell, along with the "light gaming laptop" market, and higher margins for Intel. It's also a good first product to roll EMIB out on for Intel. (Smaller production line, higher margin. Good place to roll out new tech.)

As for Apple, it's going to be a couple of years. ARM-based desktops are still pretty far away, and that's going to take them years to get enough of a code base to run a full desktop on. They're headed there, definitely, but that's more of a 2022 range, as Apple is just now starting to build out a full Graphics group. This is going to be a long process for Apple, but they may get to the point of doing everything except fabrication by the time they're done.

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-raja-koduri-will-seeking-new-horizons-intel/

It would appear that Intel is gunning against NVIDIA in more ways than one. Raja Koduri was essential in the development of Vega and his experience as an engineer could prove to be critical for Intel’s recent ventures. Intel recently signed a deal with AMD to house their dedicated Radeon GPUs inside their KBL-G lineup which means synergy with its x86 rival is at an all time high. While Intel will profit from the sales of the full processor, AMD will profit from the deal as well, as it will get a piece of the pie. The only looser in this equation becomes NVIDIA.

So a few days ago it is announced that AMD agreed Intel using onboard Radeon graphics and now Raja announces he will be going to work for Intel.  What is AMD doing?

gg

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

I'm not too sure whats more questionable, what Intel hopes to achieve or the wccftech article itself?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Whoa! Wonder if this will be as part of the Intel/AMD combine or permanent

Use this guide to fix text problems in your postGo here and here for all your power supply needs

New Build Currently Under Construction! See here!!!! -----> 

Spoiler

Deathwatch:[CPU I7 4790K @ 4.5GHz][RAM TEAM VULCAN 16 GB 1600][MB ASRock Z97 Anniversary][GPU XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB][STORAGE 250GB SAMSUNG EVO SSD Samsung 2TB HDD 2TB WD External Drive][COOLER Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo][PSU Cooler Master 650M][Case Thermaltake Core V31]

Spoiler

Cupid:[CPU Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz][RAM 3 GB DDR2][750GB Samsung 2.5" HDD/HDD Seagate 80GB SATA/Samsung 80GB IDE/WD 325GB IDE][MB Acer M1641][CASE Antec][[PSU Altec 425 Watt][GPU Radeon HD 4890 1GB][TP-Link 54MBps Wireless Card]

Spoiler

Carlile: [CPU 2x Pentium 3 1.4GHz][MB ASUS TR-DLS][RAM 2x 512MB DDR ECC Registered][GPU Nvidia TNT2 Pro][PSU Enermax][HDD 1 IDE 160GB, 4 SCSI 70GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 3]

Spoiler

Zeonnight [CPU AMD Athlon x2 4400][GPU Sapphire Radeon 4650 1GB][RAM 2GB DDR2]

Spoiler

Server [CPU 2x Xeon L5630][PSU Dell Poweredge 850w][HDD 1 SATA 160GB, 3 SAS 146GB][RAID CARD Dell Perc 6i]

Spoiler

Kero [CPU Pentium 1 133Mhz] [GPU Cirrus Logic LCD 1MB Graphics Controller] [Ram 48MB ][HDD 1.4GB Hitachi IDE]

Spoiler

Mining Rig: [CPU Athlon 64 X2 4400+][GPUS 9 RX 560s, 2 RX 570][HDD 160GB something][RAM 8GBs DDR3][PSUs 1 Thermaltake 700w, 2 Delta 900w 120v Server modded]

RAINBOWS!!!

QUOTE ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLYS!!!!

5 minutes ago, Memories4K said:

HAHAHAHAHAHA

VEGA.

poorvega.png.d90c47a85f3223b855d95928e07b18b3.png

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

poorvega.png.d90c47a85f3223b855d95928e07b18b3.png

I can't help but wonder if Somnum Industries has had any calls in the last year regarding GPU's.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

IDK what AMD is doing right now.  Giving up some of their best IP and talent to their competition.  

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

1 minute ago, Memories4K said:

I remember when Raja took a short sabbatical after VEGA's disappointing release, and on WAN show Linus thought we were all conspiracy theorists lmao

In all honesty, things turning out to be right and the predictor being inherently knowledgeable and not just guessing based on surface observation, are two different things.

2 hours ago, Swatson said:

I very much doubt Raja was "fired" for Vega. AMD has been having trouble keeping vega in stock due to crypto's increase in demand, and vega looks to be a success on the low/mobile to mid end. It was a disappointment for enthusiasts who wanted to see AMD compete at the highest levels with Nvidia but AMD seems to be printing money right now either way.

What Vega low/mobile to mid end? Do you mean Polaris, am I forgetting something big, or do you have info or speculation about future parts?

What's interesting is that they did the same thing with Keller. So it's probable this has nothing to do with Vega's performance on release at all and was the plan all along. Wonder if they're doing this to get access to EMIB.

2 minutes ago, ravenshrike said:

What's interesting is that they did the same thing with Keller. So it's probable this has nothing to do with Vega's performance on release at all and was the plan all along. Wonder if they're doing this to get access to EMIB.

Keller jumps around to different companies to work on top notch CPU projects, I don't think Raja does the same.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Interesting, I have had nothing but head aches from AMD's graphics drivers. So I made a vowel to myself to never buy one of their GPU's again... 

Yup.  Try Crossfire and watch how even the windows desktop glitches out.  Ditched 5850's for 680's and never left team NV.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

26 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

IDK what AMD is doing right now.  Giving up some of their best IP and talent to their competition.  

RTG will soon belong to Intel. AMD will be a CPU only company. Which is good, because Intel will actually challenge NVidia. How cool would it be to have an Intel branded dGPU in your rig?

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

14 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

RTG will soon belong to Intel. AMD will be a CPU only company. Which is good, because Intel will actually challenge NVidia. How cool would it be to have an Intel branded dGPU in your rig?

I do hope AMD is forced to sell the assets of RTG so that a competent company can take their IP and actually do something with it. All the people who keep saying you should buy RTG GPUs to spite Nvidia should really be telling people to boycott RTG and force RTG to go under. Once Intel, Samsung, or whoever picks up the IP, then Nvidia might get real competition again.

4 minutes ago, S.Stephenson said:

Vega 56 is better than the GTX 1070 though........ and cheaper.

And hotter and draws 2x the power and relies on AMD drivers....

I promise I'm not an AMD hater, I recommend Ryzen a lot but Vega is just a bad product.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)