So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

6 hours ago, TahoeDust said:

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-raja-koduri-will-seeking-new-horizons-intel/

So a few days ago it is announced that AMD agreed Intel using onboard Radeon graphics and now Raja announces he will be going to work for Intel.  What is AMD doing?

gg

Why was my thread that began with this post merged into the thread.  Raja Koduri moving to intel really has nothing to do with this?...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

Just now, Hackentosher said:

Oh i've been tagged, @ARikozuM TLDR of the thread?

Raja has joined Intel's graphics division; we're excited. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Oh i've been tagged, @ARikozuM TLDR of the thread?

Intel is going to start making discrete GPUs also. Sounds like they will making both compute and consumer graphics cards

edit: @Hackentosher seriously no joke lol

Just now, zberry7 said:

Intel is going to start making discrete GPUs also. 

lol there's no way they would do that. I don't think they have any reason to. Their CPU division is already super strong, they just suck ass at integrated graphics. I bet that's what Raj is there to do. Also, I'm sure Raj signed a 1.4 gazillion year NDA with AMD to protect their IP... soooo Raj can share his knowledge, but not AMD's tips, not even for a minute.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

lol there's no way they would do that. I don't think they have any reason to. Their CPU division is already super strong, they just suck ass at integrated graphics. I bet that's what Raj is there to do. Also, I'm sure Raj signed a 1.4 gazillion year NDA with AMD to protect their IP... soooo Raj can share his knowledge, but not AMD's tips, not even for a minute.

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/raja-koduri-joins-intel/

They officially announced they are making discrete graphics cards

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

Maybe it is but it's buried :ph34r:

I'm sure it does, AMD isn't that stupid, right?

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

dude, i found that article. check my status updates xD 

that being said I didn't really read it because ain't nobody got time.

Here’s all you need to know :) 

Koduri will expand Intel’s leading position in integrated graphics for the PC market with high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments.

What a time to be alive

1 minute ago, zberry7 said:

Here’s all you need to know :) 

Interesting. I guess we'll see how this plays out over the next 5 years.

also this: 

With Raja at the helm of our Core and Visual Computing Group, we will add to our portfolio of unmatched capabilities, advance our strategy to lead in computing and graphics, and ultimately be the driving force of the data revolution.”

Sooo it sounds like they want to make graphics cards if they want to "lead in graphics." However, knowing what Intel usually focuses on, the cards they produce will probably be more for data computation, so like a GV 100 competitor, not the GTX-1080ti killer. That being said, it would be great to get another player in the game on the gaming market because AMD has yet again been caught with their dicks in their hands with Vega.

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I'm sure it does, AMD isn't that stupid, right?

Maybe a limited one from the time when they brought him over? The IP is under NDA, for certain, but maybe his contract to come over was really sweet, given the time frame it happened. He's listed as a Senior VP and "Chief Architect" of a new division.

Though the "high-end, discrete" GPU stuff just means compute cards against Nvidia. That's the area that Team Green has cut into Intel's sales. The deal with AMD solves most of their consumer GPU issues.

37 minutes ago, zberry7 said:

Really don’t think all of these should have been merged, the Raja news and the Intel/AMD APU are separate topics

Very much agree, the news are separate topics, can they be.. unmerged? 

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Sooo it sounds like they want to make graphics cards if they want to "lead in graphics." However, knowing what Intel usually focuses on, the cards they produce will probably be more for data computation, so like a GV 100 competitor, not the GTX-1080ti killer. That being said, it would be great to get another player in the game on the gaming market because AMD has yet again been caught with their dicks in their hands with Vega.

Only catch is the person most responsible for Vega is now heading up Intel's new division.

But there's two rather significant issues for whatever Intel is going to produce: 1) by the time anything is ready, Intel's nodes won't be ahead and 2) Nvidia pays a lot for customized manufacturing changes to suit their GPUs. High performance GPUs are a very different beast than CPUs, so this is going to be interesting to watch.

Oh, there is a 3rd issue. Apple has been hiring up everyone in the GPU space they can find, so Intel isn't going to like the price tag to fill out the staffing needs.

6 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Only catch is the person most responsible for Vega is now heading up Intel's new division.

But there's two rather significant issues for whatever Intel is going to produce: 1) by the time anything is ready, Intel's nodes won't be ahead and 2) Nvidia pays a lot for customized manufacturing changes to suit their GPUs. High performance GPUs are a very different beast than CPUs, so this is going to be interesting to watch.

Oh, there is a 3rd issue. Apple has been hiring up everyone in the GPU space they can find, so Intel isn't going to like the price tag to fill out the staffing needs.

Intel also has a lot of money they can throw at this problem.

ASU

12 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I think we are going to see a lot of headhunting over the next year, intel pealing gpu architects from the big three, red, green and a rather fruity computing company.

6 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

I very much agree, intel could really cause some headaches for Nvidia, RTG and maybe even Apple if they are motivated enough.

My Folding Stats - Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! - If someone has helped you out on the forum don't forget to give them a reaction to say thank you!

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing. - Socrates

Please put as much effort into your question as you expect me to put into answering it. 

• CPU
    Ryzen 9 5950X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-AX370-GAMING 5
  • RAM
    32GB DDR4 3200
  • GPU
    Inno3D 4070 Ti
  • Case
    Cooler Master - MasterCase H500P
  • Storage
    Western Digital Black 250GB, Seagate BarraCuda 1TB x2
  • PSU
    EVGA Supernova 1000w 
  • Display(s)
    Lenovo L29w-30 29 Inch UltraWide Full HD, BenQ - XL2430(portrait), Dell P2311Hb(portrait)
  • Cooling
    MasterLiquid Lite 240

Oh man I am excited now. Intel making discrete cards, I wonder if Raja took some of RTG with him? Nvidia is gonna plop volta on us. Intel is gonna dump money into Raja's department if they want in, even for AI because I've heard he will be focusing on AI.

What does this mean for Navi, and more importantly post-Navi?

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

Oh man I am excited now. Intel making discrete cards, I wonder if Raja took some of RTG with him? Nvidia is gonna plop volta on us. Intel is gonna dump money into Raja's department if they want in, even for AI because I've heard he will be focusing on AI.

What does this mean for Navi, and more importantly post-Navi?

40 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Also, I'm sure Raj signed a 1.4 gazillion year NDA with AMD to protect their IP... soooo Raj can share his knowledge, but not AMD's tips, not even for a minute.

we talked about this a few posts up.

ASU

we talked about this a few posts up.

No I I understand about that, even if he can't share AMD's IP this is going to be crazy. Intel will spend because they have deep pockets, they want "high-end discrete" which means nvidia just got put on notice.

Edit: I have new theory, Lisa knew Intel could spend more on Raja's mad fantasy and let him be free.

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

3 minutes ago, Swatson said:

No I I understand about that, even if he can't share AMD's IP this is going to be crazy. Intel will spend because they have deep pockets, they want "high-end discrete" which means nvidia just got put on notice.

I doubt we'll see anything from Intel in the next two or three years that can match whatever Nvidia architecture will be [available]. I see Intel trying to go for the AI and computational spaces rather than gaming first. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I doubt we'll see anything from Intel in the next two or three years that can match whatever Nvidia architecture will be [available]. I see Intel trying to go for the AI and computational spaces rather than gaming first. 

Trickle down just like Nvidia has been, they wont be able to resist the miners at the very least :^ )

14 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/AMDA-1XAJD4/5533880902x0x953561/F850D328-4AEF-479F-B0B6-88703C81A28A/Rev_by_Mkt_Qtrly_Trend_Q218.pdf

Nvidia's revenue on the year is going to be about 8 Billion USD. Intel can't invest too much money into the area, as there'll be no return otherwise. Main place Intel can put in a chunk of money is the Data Center space that Nvidia is moving into. That's less than 2 Billion USD right now, but looks poised to increase over the years. A hard investment there can bring HPC and other tasks fully into Intel's ecosystem, which is I think the reason to bring on Raja.

6 minutes ago, Ben Quigley said:

I think we are going to see a lot of headhunting over the next year, intel pealing gpu architects from the big three, red, green and a rather fruity computing company.

I very much agree, intel could really cause some headaches for Nvidia, RTG and maybe even Apple if they are motivated enough.

They'll have to. There ain't a lot of them and Intel is quite behind the ball right now.

17 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD has no reason to leave the 50-400 USD market. Nvidia actually took a gamble in designing their GPU for high-end business applications then cutting down the design, but it paid off. This makes owning the really high-end GPU market much easier for Nvidia. That's fine. The real money is in the mid-range for Gaming and, now, high-end Compute. 

AMD used to be good in the mid segment, that is no longer the case. Mining and price gouging is not helping them much.

19 minutes ago, Ezilkannan said:

AMD used to be good in the mid segment, that is no longer the case. Mining and price gouging is not helping them much.

Weirdly, I guess we'll finally see the "Big Polaris", sort of, with HBM from the Intel collaboration. While the 1080 is a mid-range GPU, it's really the massive delay in a 1070 competitor that's caused AMD the problems. But we also can't deny that for significant chunks of time over the last 5 years, AMD GPUs have not been available at price competitive levels for the normal buyer. That causes problems on its own.

I see this being bad for Amd as the new division will need staff. 

I am actually disappointed, how does the head of a division decides to resign and go work for the biggest competitor doing the same job, and then make a post for his fellow coworkers on how he wanted to do something different.