So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

47 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Those clauses are almost always illegal

As they should be, as well as port termination NDAs that don't deal with patents.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Humbug said:

Bad for AMD if true.

I'm waiting to see if there is some background reason for this, did just Intel offer him more money, did he have a fallout with AMD or is this due the collaboration between the two companies. It may not be bad for AMD, per se. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

"the only loser here is NVIDIA" 

no not really... no serious gamer does anything on integrated graphics. doesn't matter how powerful the gpu is, you'll be using system memory instead of VRAM... 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

"the only loser here is NVIDIA" 

no not really... no serious gamer does anything on integrated graphics. doesn't matter how powerful the gpu is, you'll be using system memory instead of VRAM... 

If you had looked at what Intel is doing with the Radeon integration, you'd know that not only is this not exactly "integrated graphics" but the Vega cores have their own HBM2 right next to them for dedicated VRAM.  Check the specs first: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

his appearances on stage were always painful to watch, but if he is really going to intel then he is a liar because:

"I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions"

i read that as if he is leaving chip design and related stuff but would be a waste of his talent i guess.

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

1 hour ago, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

I hope so, ever since AMD bought ATI they haven't done anything good with them, just empty promises.

what are you talking about, the 290 was a excellent gpu, the 290x was as well, the 480 was good also the 470/570 was the value king by a long shot (before mining boom), the reason amd is able to get most consoles is the fact that they have ati,

and now that the cpus are getting very good again it would be very stupid to trow away one of their biggest advantages.

3 minutes ago, LogicWeasel said:

If you had looked at what Intel is doing with the Radeon integration, you'd know that not only is this not exactly "integrated graphics" but the Vega cores have their own HBM2 right next to them for dedicated VRAM.  Check the specs first: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12003/intel-to-create-new-8th-generation-cpus-with-amd-radeon-graphics-with-hbm2-using-emib

oh okay. sorry. 

i ddn't know specs were already available.

She/Her

15 hours ago, dizmo said:

Haha, no. The consumer market isn't even that big when you compare the corporate one, where AMD doesn't really have a standing at all.

I don't think that'd help them that much. Sure they could own it, but the profits are a lot smaller down there, and really how many people are buying 550/560 GPUs? I'd imagine not many.

I got a 460 when they came out because my old GTX 500 series card died. Though if that card died today I'd probably just wait for raven ridge so I could make an SFF system. My problem with this is AMD needs to go beyond mITX in SFF design like Intel has with products such as mini-STX motherboards

2 minutes ago, VegetableStu said:

words didn't come from raja.

i guess i got confused since it was "signed" by him. usually it woiuld say lisa su, amd or something not raja.

text in question

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

what are you talking about, the 290 was a excellent gpu, the 290x was as well, the 480 was good also the 470/570 was the value king by a long shot (before mining boom), the reason amd is able to get most consoles is the fact that they have ati,

and now that the cpus are getting very good again it would be very stupid to trow away one of their biggest advantages.

Check ATI's history of what they produced before AMD bought them and you'll realize AMD stagnated ATI from achieving their true potential.

Just now, NvidiaIntelAMDLoveTriangle said:

Check ATI's history of what they produced before AMD bought them and you'll realize AMD stagnated ATI from achieving their true potential.

only if you forget the fact that ati could not keep innovating as they were running out of money, 

7 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I don't get why Intel would do this, it seems like they have nothing to gain.

They're eliminating their own iGPU line while giving a slice of their own profit margin direct to the competition. Seems like a very bad business move from Intel to me.

Plus Vega is shite, they should have gone down the Pascal route and made something people would actually want to buy.

intel would do this even if they lost money in the process, intel will go to extreme lengths to make their competitors lose money, in this case they are trying to puch nvidea out of the market, as right now nvidea is a bigger threat than amd, vega isnt shit at all its actually very effecient just that at max size (which is 64 rops 64 cus) the 64 rops become a bottleneck many times (supposed to change with newer games), at lower clocks and smaller sizes its very efficient

10 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

only if you forget the fact that ati could not keep innovating as they were running out of money, 

Shhh

So Vega is that bad huh

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Just now, Spenser1337 said:

He made it.

1st he made nothing...2nd, it made him leave.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

7 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

1st he made nothing...2nd, it made him leave.

Crazy how random internet forumers know so much about the inner workings of billion dollar corporations

9 minutes ago, Spenser1337 said:

Crazy how random internet forumers know so much about the inner workings of billion dollar corporations

he was a spokesman, a salesman...his job was to look good on stage and tell how good the engineers did.

And since they did bad, and sank the ship...he took of.

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

he was a spokesman, a salesman...his job was to look good on stage and tell how good the engineers did.

And since they did bad, and sank the ship...he took of.

Senior Vice President and chief architect 

1 hour ago, cj09beira said:

intel would do this even if they lost money in the process, intel will go to extreme lengths to make their competitors lose money, in this case they are trying to puch nvidea out of the market, as right now nvidea is a bigger threat than amd, vega isnt shit at all its actually very effecient just that at max size (which is 64 rops 64 cus) the 64 rops become a bottleneck many times (supposed to change with newer games), at lower clocks and smaller sizes its very efficient

I'm sorry, I can't take anybody who claims Intel & AMD are trying to push Nvidia out of a market they're not even involved in seriously at all.

Other than Nvidias own Tegra series name me one other SoC that contains Nvidia GPU technology in it? One processor that has Nvidia iGPU technology in it?

Yeah, you can't because none exist because Nvidia doesn't care about low power devices or integrated GPUs at all.

Like I said, I can't see a reason why Intel would agree to this deal, ultimately it only hurts them.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I'm sorry, I can't take anybody who claims Intel & AMD are trying to push Nvidia out of a market they're not even involved in seriously at all.

Other than Nvidias own Tegra series name me one other SoC that contains Nvidia GPU technology in it? One processor that has Nvidia iGPU technology in it?

Yeah, you can't because none exist because Nvidia doesn't care about low power devices or integrated GPUs at all.

Like I said, I can't see a reason why Intel would agree to this deal, ultimately it only hurts them.

it could be a push to force Nvidia out of the laptop space, besides high end gaming laptops (1070 +). if Nvidia loses sales on the sub $1500 range it can impact them a good amount.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I've been thinking about this quite a bit... What if Raja goes to the Blue Team? It would be crazy seeing Intel dGPU's alongside Nvidia and AMD. 3D Xpoint could be a good choice for a high-bandwidth GPU as it offers lower latency. Intel could properly thread their graphics driver for their CPU's like Vega and Ryzen from AMD. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

it could be a push to force Nvidia out of the laptop space, besides high end gaming laptops (1070 +). if Nvidia loses sales on the sub $1500 range it can impact them a good amount.

At this point the only logical answer I've had is because Apple wants it for Macs and I'm struggling to believe that's true.

Nvidias laptop sales are exclusively that weird form factor that's full desktop but smaller so yeah, I suppose you've got a point. Vega can hold up against the 1050s & 1060s but then you gotta ask if it's worth cannibalising Intel's entire iGPU lineup just to spite Nvidia in the mid range laptop market?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)