So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

34 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

If I recall correctly, AMD's CPU Division and Radeon are not the same.

being two different divisions of the same company is the same enough for me

13 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

being two different divisions of the same company is the same enough for me

It's like going to Walmart, you have the electronics section and clothing section. Entirely different products but still Walmart. (I'm im Walmart currently so it was first to mind lol)

'To my AMD family,

Forty is a significant number in history.  It is a number representing transition, testing and change. I have just spent forty days away from the office going through such a transition. It was an important time with my family, and it also offered me a rare space for reflection. During this time I have come to the extremely difficult conclusion that it is time for me to leave RTG and AMD.

I have no question in my mind that RTG, and AMD, are marching firmly in the right direction as high-performance computing becomes ever-more-important in every aspect of our lives.  I believe wholeheartedly in what we are doing with Vega, Navi and beyond, and I am incredibly proud of how far we have come and where we are going. The whole industry has stood up and taken notice of what we are doing. As I think about how computing will evolve, I feel more and more that I want to pursue my passion beyond hardware and explore driving broader solutions.

I want to thank Lisa and the AET for enabling me to pursue my passion during the last four years at AMD, and especially the last two years with RTG. Lisa has my utmost respect for exhibiting the courage to enable me with RTG, for believing in me and for going out of her way to support me.  I would also like to call out Mark Papermaster who brought me into AMD, for his huge passion for technology and for his relentless support through many difficult phases.  And of course, I want to thank each and every one of my direct staff and my indirect staff who have worked so hard with me to build what we have now got.  I am very proud of the strong leaders we have and I'm fully confident that they can execute on the compelling roadmap ahead. 

I will continue to be an ardent fan and user of AMD technologies for both personal and professional use.

As I mentioned, leaving AMD and RTG has been an extremely difficult decision for me.  But I felt it is the right one for me personally at this point.  Time will tell.  I will be following with great interest the progress you will make over the next several years.

On a final note, I have asked a lot of you in the last two years.  You've always delivered.  You've made me successful both personally and professionally, for which I thank you all from the bottom of my heart.  I have these final requests from you as I leave:

. Stay focused on the roadmap!
. Deliver on your commitments!
. Continue the culture of Passion, Persistence and Play!
. Make AMD proud!
. Make me proud!

Yours,
Raja

Full story and analysis Here

This isn't a surprise, given his leave. And i dont think they are going anywhere (see amd/ intel deal) but i do think a major directional shift is about to happen with the product design and focus.

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Whoa. That's interesting, any news on why he left?

Just unsubstantiated rumors, so far. People speculating Vega's performance in market etc.

I think we all sort of suspected something was up when he took that "vacation" a while back.  I guess it's final now.

3 minutes ago, JobbelsNL said:

AMD needs a year or 2 then intel will be overgrown by AMD

xD no, I don't think so :P Intel's a bit bigger than you think, I think

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think we all sort of suspected something was up when he took that "vacation" a while back.  I guess it's final now.

xD no, I don't think so :P Intel's a bit bigger than you think, I think

I am also team blue dont worry but since games are getting more optimalized by the day team red will slowly start winning with more Threats and cores

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Whoa. That's interesting, any news on why he left?

Given when he went on a break, my first instinct is to say someone is sick, either Raja or a family member. It's pure speculation, but there's very few situations someone takes a "break" as a high level executive and then resigns. 

Can someone turn the bag into the RTG logo?

Related image

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, JobbelsNL said:

I am also team blue dont worry but since games are getting more optimalized by the day team red will slowly start winning with more Threats and cores

Post-apocalyptic AMD, C0NF1RM3D!

Also, better story than CoD: Infinite Warfare.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Both Fiji and Vega have been extremely disappointing from a consumer view. Sure Raja is not necessarily to blame for that since at least Fiji was already designed when he joined. But splitting up AMD and RTG to run a meta company only works if you get results. That has not happened yet. Too much emphasis on HBM, which was (and still isn't) really ready for consumer markets.

Idk if Raja left because he couldn't achieve what he wanted (limited funds for drivers and two forks of GPUS) or if he just couldn't deliver and deemed unfit for the job. 

Either way, I hope RTG finds their way just like AMD with with Ryzen/epyc/TR. We need RadeOn to be competitive again. Especially in the high end.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

What i need to know is who is going to take his place, thats what is the most important thing right now for RTG.

I sure hope RTG wont be sold to Intel that would be a very sad future.

I need answers from AMD and fast they must have a replacement for RTG CEO 

8 minutes ago, Reavantos said:

Just unsubstantiated rumors, so far. People speculating Vega's performance in market etc.

He had little to do with vega, it's development was far along by the time he arrived.

I doubt it's that. It could be a family issue.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

6 minutes ago, JobbelsNL said:

I'm not even promoting a certain "team", just stating the facts.  AMD has about $3.3B in assets, Intel has $113B, they're just on totally different scales.  AMD isn't gonna make that up in a few years :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Terryv said:

He had little to do with vega, it's development was far along by the time he arrived.

I doubt it's that. It could be a family issue.

Hence the "unsubstantiated"..

5 hours ago, cj09beira said:

amd and intel will not b best friends as intel has tried (and almost succeded) to kill amd countless of times, plus with amd's own cpus getting better i don't see this "partnership" lasting too long, 

I'm by no means saying they will be best friends. More so that in the eyes of the government they could try and slap them on the wrist if they get too integrated in co-branded products at some point. Again, this is me just picking apart the situation and is a lot of "what ifs", which I find fun. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k 3.7Ghz MOBO: AsRock Z370 Extreme4

RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4) Storage: Crucial MX300 275Gb | WD Blue 1Tb

GPU: XFX RS RX480 8Gb Case: Corsair 270R PSU: Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Monitors: HP 22cwa | BenQ BL2420PT  Cans: ATH-M50x 

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm not even promoting a certain "team", just stating the facts.  AMD has about $3.3B in assets, Intel has $113B, they're just on totally different scales.  AMD isn't gonna make that up in a few years :P

They could do it if they targeted the low- and mid-tier (entry and mainstream to some) rather than the high-end for a while. The sales could buy them the time required to get a CCX-like GPU (Crossfire 2.1) that uses the same cores for the high-end. I'd be stoked to see the Ryzen engineers make something out of Polaris chips.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Notional said:

Both Fiji and Vega have been extremely disappointing from a consumer view.

It's been disappointing from a gaming point of view. From a productivity point of view it's pretty damned awesome.

1 minute ago, ravenshrike said:

It's been disappointing from a gaming point of view. From a productivity point of view it's pretty damned awesome.

Indeed, but most consumers don't buy these cards for productivity. Mostly pro's do for workstations. That's either fully or partly professional use, which is not consumer market anymore.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I wonder where he is going. Apple again? They are designing their own GPUs now so it would make sense.

8 minutes ago, Notional said:

Sure Raja is not necessarily to blame for that since at least Fiji was already designed when he joined

12 minutes ago, Terryv said:

I've heard several people say this but I don't get why. Raja re-joined AMD in 2013.

He was at AMD for years before Fiji was done, and even longer before Vega was done. AMD were not sitting on a finalized GPU for 2-4 years before releasing it.

wonder how much of this is because of how his child Vega isnt amazing... anyway a bit to sad to see him go because he seemed like an interesting guy, kind of expected when Su already steped in for him as head of RTG some months ago i guess. will be extremely interesting to see what way RTG goes from here

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

10 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They could do it if they targeted the low- and mid-tier (entry and mainstream to some) rather than the high-end for a while. The sales could buy them the time required to get a CCX-like GPU (Crossfire 2.1) that uses the same cores for the high-end. I'd be stoked to see the Ryzen engineers make something out of Polaris chips.

*Insert two GPUs duct taped together* 

Spoiler

I spent the last five minutes looking for a picture, but I just couldn't find one.....so use your imagination. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.