So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

Right before AMD signed a deal with Tesla for compute chips for AI, a bunch of engineers resigned and were hired by Tesla for the same project.. .

This is some of the most interesting news we’ve had in a while imo. Can’t wait to hear what Linus has to say on this topic. I wish intel was able to get into full discrete GPUs, it would be amazing to have a third competitor in the space. Then have nvidia start making CPUs and we will have a computing revolution lol.

edit: just saw a news article from annandtech that intel will make high end discrete gpus!! This is sweet :) 

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12017/intel-to-develop-discrete-gpus-hires-raja-koduri-as-chief-architect

Can't help but think that the dumpster fire of Vega is what caused him to jump ship, PR language aside.

At this point I don't recommend Vega to anyone at all. Having used Freesync myself for the better part of a year, I'll contend that it is overrated. It does not prevent choppiness and microstutter, which is much MUCH more noticeable than tearing (YMMV of course). Both of the former issues I had been plagued with when I had my R9 Fury. 

I mean don't get me wrong... adaptive refresh rate is nice and all that, but Freesync should not be the sole deciding factor to make one purchase an inferior GPU. 

Currently saving up for a high end ultrawide G-sync monitor myself, though it might have to wait until I actually get into my desired career field next year.

New Build (The Compromise): CPU - i7 9700K @ 5.1Ghz Mobo - ASRock Z390 Taichi | RAM - 16GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200CL14 @ 3466 14-14-14-30 1T | GPU - ASUS Strix GTX 1080 TI | Cooler - Corsair h100i Pro | SSDs - 500 GB 960 EVO + 500 GB 850 EVO + 1TB MX300 | Case - Coolermaster H500 | PSUEVGA 850 P2 | Monitor - LG 32GK850G-B 144hz 1440p | OSWindows 10 Pro. 

Peripherals - Corsair K70 Lux RGB | Corsair Scimitar RGB | Audio-technica ATH M50X + Antlion Modmic 5 |

CPU/GPU history: Athlon 6000+/HD4850 > i7 2600k/GTX 580, R9 390, R9 Fury > i7 7700K/R9 Fury, 1080TI > Ryzen 1700/1080TI > i7 9700K/1080TI.

Other tech: Surface Pro 4 (i5/128GB), Lenovo Ideapad Y510P w/ Kali, OnePlus 6T (8G/128G), PS4 Slim.

26 minutes ago, The Owl said:

So this was a trade, Raja for AMD + Intel partnership :|

I'd say intel got the best of that deal

thCSaDS.gif?noredirect

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, Phentos said:

Can't help but think that the dumpster fire of Vega is what caused him to jump ship, PR language aside.

At this point I don't recommend Vega to anyone at all. Having used Freesync myself for the better part of a year, I'll contend that it is overrated. It does not prevent choppiness and microstutter, which is much MUCH more noticeable than tearing (YMMV of course). Both of the former issues I had been plagued with when I had my R9 Fury. 

I mean don't get me wrong... adaptive refresh rate is nice and all that, but Freesync should not be the sole deciding factor to make one purchase an inferior GPU. 

Currently saving up for a high end ultrawide G-sync monitor myself, though it might have to wait until I actually get into my desired career field next year.

RX Vega is simply clocked too high and a bunch of the new tech simply isn't turned on, beyond the HBM2 issues and, apparently, yield problems as well. The Vega 56 is a good purchase at MSRP, but the 64 just isn't much uplift for the cost difference. 

But those points are also probably why Raja is pursuing other opportunities.

Nvidia recently released their Star Wars-inspired Titans and when Raja had to decide, he chose Blue! [GASP]

Raja Koduri, the clumsy, lovable nerd we all know, has recently stepped down from AMD's Radeon Technologies Group. We all laughed at the possibility of him joining the blue team, but he actually went with the flow and took a job at Intel. He will be leading Intel's discrete graphics division. 

"Raja is one of the most experienced, innovative and respected graphics and system architecture visionaries in the industry and the latest example of top technical talent to join Intel,” said Dr. Murthy Renduchintala, Intel’s chief engineering officer and group president of the Client and Internet of Things Businesses and System Architecture. “We have exciting plans to aggressively expand our computing and graphics capabilities and build on our very strong and broad differentiated IP foundation. With Raja at the helm of our Core and Visual Computing Group, we will add to our portfolio of unmatched capabilities, advance our strategy to lead in computing and graphics, and ultimately be the driving force of the data revolution.”

This is exciting news for Intel as the division might be able to bring Intel their second wind into the consumer or professional space. Does this mean that Apple and Intel's relationship will be solidified? What about the age-old question of "what GPU is better"? What about iSync? Will Intel have to fight Apple for the right to use "i" before a technology? I'm thoroughly excited as Intel could produce enough competition for Nvidia to push their hardware further than ever before. 

Raja will begin his post in December of this year. I wish him the best of luck and success.

Source: https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/raja-koduri-joins-intel/

Shout-out to @Hackentosher for the link! Thank you!

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Honestly, I didn't really know about Raja Koduri until I dug up some articles on him this week with his departure. I will say, this is pretty interesting. I am very interested to see what the future brings in the computer market. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

3 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

So... If he gives AMD tech to Intel, that is totally legit? Like.. Le Phek?

I think giving insider info is illegal, but using the knowledge and expertise that you have is not. Obviously, if he makes a GCN-like GPU, Intel is... f#cked. 

Example: Building a non-Ford car as a Ford mechanic is not illegal, but building a Ford car for a non-Ford company is illegal.

@Sakkura, @LAwLz,and @Enderman, do you guys happen to know the legality of this? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

I see Windspeed in the "recently browsing" and it worries me...

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Dude I have done crossfire systems many times before. Dual 5870s, dual 6950s, and dual 7970s. What a nightmare, granted when the games properly supported crossfire the performance was amazing. But now I am still enjoying my 980 Ti's. So yeah, I cannot wait for Volta to hit the market, gonna get a badass 1180 Ti... but only a Lightning card. I have taken another vowel, MSi Lightning cards are the only graphics cards I will grab. 

so you like to only buy one team and then one of the most expensive models that any brand makes. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I think giving insider info is illegal, but using the knowledge and expertise that you have is not. Obviously, if he makes a GCN-like GPU, Intel is... f#cked. 

Example: Building a non-Ford car as a Ford mechanic is not illegal, but building a Ford car for a non-Ford company is illegal.

@Sakkura, @LAwLz,and @Enderman, do you guys happen to know the legality of this? 

Yeh pretty much, but it's a grey area what is "his" and what is "AMD's" intellectual property, which is why there are so many law suits about this stuff.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

Yeh pretty much, but it's a grey area what is "his" and what is "AMD's" intellectual property, which is why there are so many law suits about this stuff.

Does IP belong to the creating company or the creating individuals? 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, CUDA_Cores said:

who will be the figurehead for radeon technologies now :/

For now, Lisa Su is the interim head. I'm sure Raja recommended a few employees to step up to his position. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Does IP belong to the creating company or the creating individuals? 

Depends what it says on the papers he signed.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

9 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

I see Windspeed in the "recently browsing" and it worries me...

It worries all of us No. Not worried at all. Nothing bad, all good here. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

5 hours ago, loculus said:

What Vega low/mobile to mid end? Do you mean Polaris, am I forgetting something big, or do you have info or speculation about future parts?

Vega 56 is decent and raven ridge seems to be great based on the few benchmarks we have seen. Plus intel is putting Vega with their new mobile CPUs as was recently announced

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

8 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

I'm surprised AMD didn't have a non-compete clause in his contract. 

REALLY surprised. Like how the fuck did AMD let this happen surprised.....

AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

1 minute ago, Swatson said:

REALLY surprised. Like how the fuck did AMD let this happen surprised.....

I don't think non-competes can be used to bar someone from their profession entirely. It can be used to stop a person from disclosing certain technologies or ongoings. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I don't think non-competes can be used to bar someone from their profession entirely. It can be used to stop a person from disclosing certain technologies or ongoings. 

He's going to head graphics development at Intel, that seems like something he would have a non-compete for considering he was at RTG with AMD. Direct competitor doing the same design work as he did for AMD.

1 minute ago, zberry7 said:

Really don’t think all of these should have been merged, the Raja news and the Intel/AMD APU are separate topics

Yep it is quite confusing now, Raja moving to intel doesn't even have anything to do with this from what I gather at least not directly anyway

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful