So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

Just now, LAwLz said:

I wonder where he is going. Apple again? They are designing their own GPUs now so it would make sense.

I've heard several people say this but I don't get why. Raja re-joined AMD in 2013.

He was at AMD for years before Fiji was done, and even longer before Vega was done. AMD were not sitting on a finalized GPU for 2-4 years before releasing it.

It takes at least a full year from finished architecture to a product on the shelf in stores. If Raja had any influence on the architecture of Fiji I doubt it was a lot. Then again, if he was responsible for using HBM on Fiji, then he is definitely to blame for most of the problems with that chip. AMD's focus (fixation) on HBM has sabotaged their high end cards a lot.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

*Insert two GPUs duct taped together* 

Hide contents

I spent the last five minutes looking for a picture, but I just couldn't find one.....so use your imagination. 

You mean the R9 295X2? That thing had to be welded together. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

25 minutes ago, JobbelsNL said:

I am also team blue dont worry but since games are getting more optimalized by the day team red will slowly start winning with more Threats and cores

Haha, no. The consumer market isn't even that big when you compare the corporate one, where AMD doesn't really have a standing at all.

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

They could do it if they targeted the low- and mid-tier (entry and mainstream to some) rather than the high-end for a while. The sales could buy them the time required to get a CCX-like GPU (Crossfire 2.1) that uses the same cores for the high-end. I'd be stoked to see the Ryzen engineers make something out of Polaris chips.

I don't think that'd help them that much. Sure they could own it, but the profits are a lot smaller down there, and really how many people are buying 550/560 GPUs? I'd imagine not many.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It's like going to Walmart, you have the electronics section and clothing section. Entirely different products but still Walmart. (I'm im Walmart currently so it was first to mind lol)

Except those departments don't run independently of Walmart. Whereas Radeon Technologies Group has at least some independence.

Besides, who in their right mind would turn down a deal like this because of some weird grudge?

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

2 minutes ago, PPCs-Kat said:

Personally I think Lisa Su will be a better head to RTG than Raja so no major loss..

Doubt it. She said it herself that it is too much for her to oversee. She will probably do great as an interim, but I'm sure AMD will find a proper replacement soon.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Just now, dizmo said:

I don't think that'd help them that much. Sure they could own it, but the profits are a lot smaller down there, and really how many people are buying 550/560 GPUs? I'd imagine not many.

The top selling range for graphics cards is ~$100 to ~$350 (from past years). If AMD can own that space, without a question like 1070 versus 580 (AMD can literally just drop their naming scheme down by 10), they would get a very large portion of the market. 

I think they could make two single chips like the 560 and 570 (labeled as 550 and 560) leaving the 570 and 580 to be two of those GPU cores. 

Obviously we, the forum, aren't a good representation part of that market. Also, I'm surprised how many of us have 1080's. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

19 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

I wonder where he is going. Apple again? They are designing their own GPUs now so it would make sense.

is it for the next Mac Pro that's rumored to have a Vega chip? 

20 minutes ago, Notional said:

It takes at least a full year from finished architecture to a product on the shelf in stores. If Raja had any influence on the architecture of Fiji I doubt it was a lot. Then again, if he was responsible for using HBM on Fiji, then he is definitely to blame for most of the problems with that chip. AMD's focus (fixation) on HBM has sabotaged their high end cards a lot.

Even if we assume that that's true, then he still had a lot of time. He didn't sit and roll his thumbs for an entire year. Depending on when development started he might even have been involved in the beginning, worked for Apple in the middle of development, and then gotten back for the last year.

He also worked on the earlier versions of GNC which Fiji was heavily based on.

I think saying that he had very little to do with Fiji is a very big assumption that's most likely wrong.

4 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

is it for the next Mac Pro that's rumored to have a Vega chip? 

Apple don't really need Raja for that. Even if they needed to do some custom design (for like the slot design they used in the trash can) it would be cheaper to just include that work in their contract with AMD.

My guess is that if he goes to Apple it's to design GPUs for their mobile SoCs.

50 minutes ago, JobbelsNL said:

AMD needs a year or 2 then intel will be overgrown by AMD

Intel makes more than just desktop cpus

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

8 minutes ago, PocketNerd said:

Except those departments don't run independently of Walmart. Whereas Radeon Technologies Group has at least some independence.

Besides, who in their right mind would turn down a deal like this because of some weird grudge?

I wasn't going to go too in-depth as I said, I was in walmart at the time. My point was more so that many companies have different divisions within them, even Intel themselves has division that operate separately. "Radeon Technologies Group" is a name that AMD applied to a specific division within the company. A better example would be Intel and their divisions for CPU, Storage, Modems, and etc or even Microsoft with Windows, Xbox, Cloud, Surface and so on. The company I work for even has many different divisions but all of them operate as one entity and company.

You are correct though it was a chance for AMD and Intel both to make money and most likely AMD had the lower bid so they went that route. With the way Intel has it set up they theoretically could put any GPU with it, including NVidia.

Wasnt it posted already?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 hours ago, cj09beira said:

ya, the feasibility of navi in my mind really needs hbm3 to be ready for action because some cards will end up with only one hbm stack, which needs to be as fast as possible.

vega is top of the line the issue is that its bottleneck in other parts of the pipeline while rendering games, its compute perf is actually really good, been basically as fast as p100 while being a smaller die, it seems amd is focusing more on the markets where they think vega will sell for its merits more often.

not exactly intel is developing its own igpus the deal with nvidea (now with amd) was just so that intel doesn't get sued, as right now amd and nvidea have so many patents that its impossible to make a  fast efficient gpu without inflicting on those patents 

It's not top of the line, compared with the 1080ti.

I don't mean top of AMD's line, I mean top of the market line. As in "the most powerful gaming card out today". Perhaps I should have been more specific. Also non of it matters when the card just isn't available.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

topics merged, again

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Let's just hope they can find someone who actually knows what the company needs to do.

Stop talking and marketing, and just make a great friggin GPU. Not Vega, just make a badass R9 590 or 690 or whatever fucking number you want to call it, and have it actually be a realistic competitor to the 1080ti or whatever Nvidia has out when the AMD GPU comes out.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

So I guess the real question comes down to, are they going to have the gall to put a vega 64 die and the 18 core die on one.

12 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

So I guess the real question comes down to, are they going to have the gall to put a vega 64 die and the 18 core die on one.

xD I highly doubt it.  That kind of hardware in a laptop is just unheard of even in the thickest of beasts

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

Let's just hope they can find someone who actually knows what the company needs to do.

Stop talking and marketing, and just make a great friggin GPU. Not Vega, just make a badass R9 590 or 690 or whatever fucking number you want to call it, and have it actually be a realistic competitor to the 1080ti or whatever Nvidia has out when the AMD GPU comes out.

amd really needs marketing as most people are oblivious to their products 

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

They could do it if they targeted the low- and mid-tier (entry and mainstream to some) rather than the high-end for a while. The sales could buy them the time required to get a CCX-like GPU (Crossfire 2.1) that uses the same cores for the high-end. I'd be stoked to see the Ryzen engineers make something out of Polaris chips.

navi is that, and no, they should not focus on the lower end as their main problem is lack of a good halo product and mind share.

56 minutes ago, Notional said:

hbm isn't keeping back amd cards at all, its actually helping to reduce power consumption by a good amount, the problem with gcn right now is that at 64 cus the rest of the gpu can't keep up, after 290x the rest of the gpu hasn't been increased in any significant way because they need to redo a big part of the gpu to allow for more than 4 pipelines, they probably would need 6 to make vega a great gpu/ 8 smaller ones,

and also most gpus from amd right now are bottlenecked by memory,

I'm not remotely surprised in the least you don't take extended leaves for vacation after all, now I don't think this will change anything as AMD is in a situation on the gpu market side I do not think they can escape, as Nvidia unlike intel plans ahead with performance so they can quickly respond to whatever amd does.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

xD I highly doubt it.  That kind of hardware in a laptop is just unheard of even in the thickest of beasts

Hey, I never said it had to be in a laptop lol. I just want to see some try to cool it with them that close together.

29 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

topics merged, again

lol, I have now gotten six separate notifications just for this thread.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

50 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

Even if we assume that that's true, then he still had a lot of time. He didn't sit and roll his thumbs for an entire year. Depending on when development started he might even have been involved in the beginning, worked for Apple in the middle of development, and then gotten back for the last year.

He also worked on the earlier versions of GNC which Fiji was heavily based on.

I think saying that he had very little to do with Fiji is a very big assumption that's most likely wrong.

Apple don't really need Raja for that. Even if they needed to do some custom design (for like the slot design they used in the trash can) it would be cheaper to just include that work in their contract with AMD.

My guess is that if he goes to Apple it's to design GPUs for their mobile SoCs.

so i did some light duckduckgoing (like googling) and the fury x was released in 24/06/2015 and raja joined in 22/04/2013

that is 2 years before launch, we know that the gpu architecture is finished around a year earlier than the release of the final product, (given by the announcement of Vega's design finished around june 2016) so that means he had only a year to have any effect in the design at all, and considering the fix involves big design changes by increasing the amount of pipelines from 4 to 6/8 its not something they do in the last minute, no excuses for vega not having them though, and i would like to know why this wasn't done, maybe not enough R&D 

9 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

I'm not remotely surprised in the least you don't take extended leaves for vacation after all, now I don't think this will change anything as AMD is in a situation on the gpu market side I do not think they can escape, as Nvidia unlike intel plans ahead with performance so they can quickly respond to whatever amd does.

their plan is to do the same they did with ryzen and have multiple gpus connected together, the difference is that in this case it actually kills two birds with a single strike as it allows for increased amounts of rops/cus, hbm3 will have a big impact on how good each die can be as they probably going to do what they did with ryzen where each die has one hbm3 stack,