So apparently, the Intel/Radeon marriage is a thing that's happening

jasonc_01
Go to solution Solved by captain cactus,

sauce: https://newsroom.intel.com/editorials/new-intel-core-processor-combine-high-performance-cpu-discrete-graphics-sleek-thin-devices/

The new product, which will be part of our 8th Gen Intel Core family, brings together our high-performing Intel Core H-series processor, second generation High Bandwidth Memory (HBM2) and a custom-to-Intel third-party discrete graphics chip from AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group* – all in a single processor package.

It’s a prime example of hardware and software innovations intersecting to create something amazing that fills a unique market gap. Helping to deliver on our vision for this new class of product, we worked with the team at AMD’s Radeon Technologies Group. In close collaboration, we designed a new semi-custom graphics chip, which means this is also a great example of how we can compete and work together, ultimately delivering innovation that is good for consumers.

So this was the semi-custom design AMD talked about a while back. But it has happened. Here's Intel's video:

So yeah. We now have an Intel CPU with an AMD RTG GPU in the 35-55W TDP range.

Here's how they did that:

Intel-8th-Gen-CPU-discrete-graphics.jpg

That's a single HBM2 stack so we're likely limited to 4GB of video RAM. The details of the AMD GPU are unknown at this point, likely to be a Vega-based GPU, but things as SP count and clock speeds are not known yet.

34 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

And hotter and draws 2x the power and relies on AMD drivers....

I promise I'm not an AMD hater, I recommend Ryzen a lot but Vega is just a bad product.

210W is not 150W x 2 = 300W, it is only 40% more

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I promise I'm not an AMD hater, I recommend Ryzen a lot but Vega is just a bad product.

It's only the Vega 64 that approaches 2x the power. The 1070 vs Vega 56 isn't that far apart. OC'd Vega 64? That's different.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

210W is not 150W x 2 = 300W, it is only 30% more

40%....but why be accurate when correcting someone else's inaccuracies...

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

9 minutes ago, Paparachipupopep said:

I do hope AMD is forced to sell the assets of RTG so that a competent company can take their IP and actually do something with it. All the people who keep saying you should buy RTG GPUs to spite Nvidia should really be telling people to boycott RTG and force RTG to go under. Once Intel, Samsung, or whoever picks up the IP, then Nvidia might get real competition again.

AMD has little reason to sell RTG/ATI. And do you honestly think Intel would do better? Intel, the company that's spent 10s of billions on acquisitions to only write them off?

41 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Keller jumps around to different companies to work on top notch CPU projects, I don't think Raja does the same.

Keller also went over to Tesla this time. The guy actually made his money ages ago, so he just hops around to the interesting projects that are out there. Can you really blame the guy? He's a legend for a reason.

27 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

RTG will soon belong to Intel. AMD will be a CPU only company. Which is good, because Intel will actually challenge NVidia. How cool would it be to have an Intel branded dGPU in your rig?

Have you seen a history of how well Intel has done with acquisitions?

I only have one thing to say:

B2DE6BDC-A4A9-4432-99E8-0B0D52ECD708.jpeg

ZamoRIG 2.0:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.9GHz

Cooling: DeepCool Captain 240 RGB + 2x Corsair ML120 fans

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming x2 

Motherboard: Asrock X370 Gaming K4 

RAM: 2x8GB DDR4 G Skill Ripjaws V Grey @ 2800MHz 

SSDs: 2xPatriot Ignite M.2 240GB

HDD: WD Black 1TB + WD Green 2TB

PSU: Corsair RM750

Case: Corsair Carbide 400C

ZamoRIG “Portable”:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 4GHz

Cooling: Corsair H80i 

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350N Gaming WiFi

RAM: 1x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance  @ 2400MHz 

SSD: Patriot Ignite M.2 240GB 

HDD: 2TB 2.5” Seagate HDD 

PSU: Corsair TX650M 

Case: Siverstone SG13

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Keller also went over to Tesla this time. The guy actually made his money ages ago, so he just hops around to the interesting projects that are out there. Can you really blame the guy? He's a legend for a reason.

I don't blame him, he just does it as a hobby vs it being a job.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

4 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I don't blame him, he just does it as a hobby vs it being a job.

Though discussions around Zen tend to praise Keller a bit too much. He didn't bring in the concept, as this was much more Papermaster's work, apparently. Keller's job was to reorganize their workflow and design practices. He also probably brought in a heavy dose of confidence and better outlook, as the Faildozer drags on everyone in a company, especially when they started downsizing as a result.

That type of effect rubs off, as Threadripper didn't exist until some Engineers just decided to do it in their spare time. Result? One of the best launches for a CPU in ages. (It's also a really high margin part for AMD and puts them in a very good Sale vs Mindshare segment. Though it does need to be noted that Threadripper really does seem to actually be selling well above expectations for a HEDT product.)

5 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Though it does need to be noted that Threadripper really does seem to actually be selling well above expectations for a HEDT product.

Is that why the prices were recently cut by most major retailers?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

1 hour ago, VagabondWraith said:

RTG will soon belong to Intel. AMD will be a CPU only company. Which is good, because Intel will actually challenge NVidia. How cool would it be to have an Intel branded dGPU in your rig?

Intel Radeon, that doesn't sound right and I don't like it. 

But it wouldn't hurt if Intel gave AMD some money for RTG for some access to RTG IPs so that RTG can put more money into R&D so that RTG can punch back at Nvidia better.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Is that why the prices were recently cut by most major retailers?

AMD doesn't have the strict pricing requirements that Intel does, though that's more down to market position. Given the expected margin, $800USD would still be profitable for the retailer at a fairly hefty premium. That's part of the reason for the sales. Retailer is getting better margin on a $1000 USD 1950X + Mobo than the similarly priced Intel offers.

7 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

AMD doesn't have the strict pricing requirements that Intel does, though that's more down to market position. Given the expected margin, $800USD would still be profitable for the retailer at a fairly hefty premium. That's part of the reason for the sales. Retailer is getting better margin on a $1000 USD 1950X + Mobo than the similarly priced Intel offers.

If they are selling better than expected as you claim, why reduce your profit by lowering price?

To me, the more sound logic says that they lowered price to stimulate sales.  Deciding to make less profit per unit in hopes of increasing sales volume enough to overcome.

I also wonder if they are doing to to move as many units as possible before Coffee Lake and HCC x299 become more readily available.

40 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

If they are selling better than expected as you claim, why reduce your profit by lowering price?

To me, the more sound logic says that they lowered price to stimulate sales.  Deciding to make less profit per unit in hopes of increasing sales volume enough to overcome.

I also wonder if they are doing to to move as many units as possible before Coffee Lake and HCC x299 become more readily available.

Considering we haven't seen across-the-board cuts for the TR line, it's just retailers doing retailer things. People love Microcenter because of the low prices on CPUs and a few other things, but it works to Microcenter's business model. They make low margin on the Intel CPUs, but good margin on the rest of the computer you're highly likely to buy. (Which is why most of their deals seem to be CPU + Mobo; and, yes, I don't live near one either.)

As for Ryzen, they have, seemingly, cut the price a bit on AMD's side, though that has more to do with early margin that was available. At launch, the Ryzen 7 really was going up against the 6900, for about 20% less performance and 50% less cost. 

Back to the actual topic, I guess my speculation that someone was ill in Raja's family was incorrect. He either lost support of the rest of the management or other issues cropped up.

It seems to me the most logical reasoning and the one requiring the least amount of jumps is that Navi is internally complete. So Raja no longer has to be there to oversee it, and they need someone to grease the rails for the new Radeon GPU Intel APUs that are now in the works. I won't say this was always the plan but I believe it was an amicably and mutually arrived upon decision that put Raja in the place he would be most beneficial. To AMD and Intel.

Raja koduri said, and I quote “

I will continue to be an ardent fan and user of AMD technologies for both personal and professional use.” and then goes to intel. How will he use AMD in intel? Also, will intel make a gaming GPU?

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 MOBO: MSI Tomahawk B350 GPU: Reference cooled GTX 980 Storage: Intel SSD5 256Gb RAM: 8gb Geil EVO Potenza Case:  Phanteks p300 PSU: EVGA 500 watt CPU Cooler: AMD wraith spire

Steam: maxarooni4

Battle.net: MAX

If you have an Oculus HMU in dead and buried   

1 minute ago, HalGameGuru said:

It seems to me the most logical reasoning and the one requiring the least amount of jumps is that Navi is internally complete. So Raja no longer has to be there to oversee it, and they need someone to grease the rails for the new Radeon GPU Intel APUs that are now in the works. I won't say this was always the plan but I believe it was an amicably and mutually arrived upon decision that put Raja in the place he would be most beneficial. To AMD and Intel.

hqdefault.jpg

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I don't believe it, this may be as a strategy to destroy intel products with making them at High TDP

And i believe Vega will be consistently developed only in Radeon Technologies Group (RTG)

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

6 minutes ago, AMDPRO said:

Also, will intel make a gaming GPU?

no. he most likely cant use much of the GPU tech he knows and so on. he will probably be working on the iGPU tech side, but just because the man that made Vega happen goes to Intel dosent mean that their GPUs will become a massive amount better, nor worse for that part

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Trying to read between the lines on the TechReport announcement of this, it's sounding like this could be interesting... Not sure how much this will play into improved iGPU for future Core processors and how much will be more directed to data center GPU and specialized solutions....

http://techreport.com/news/32811/raja-koduri-joins-intel-as-head-of-new-core-and-visual-computing-group

In that role, Intel says Koduri will bolster Intel's leadership in integrated graphics processors and—incredibly—complement those products with "high-end discrete graphics solutions for a broad range of computing segments."

Intel says Koduri will be responsible for delivering "differentiated IP across computing, graphics, media, imaging, and machine intelligence capabilities for the client and data center segments, artificial intelligence, and emerging opportunities like edge computing

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Muuuh freesync.

its not really any hotter the cooler it’s pretty good, powerdraw wise it means my 1200W PSU has to try I have 2 mind you. 

Vega 56 is slightly better than the 1070, but if you take into account the cost of GSync Vega 56 looks much better.

Vega 64 however makes no sense I’ll give you that.

Did not see that coming, but it makes sense I guess.

Hopefully we will see some interesting products gets released in the future.

So here is the formal Intel Press Release on this with a quote from Raja on joining Intel starting in early December...

https://newsroom.intel.com/news-releases/raja-koduri-joins-intel/

“I have admired Intel as a technology leader and have had fruitful collaborations with the company over the years,” Koduri said. “I am incredibly excited to join the Intel team and have the opportunity to drive a unified architecture vision across its world-leading IP portfolio that help’s accelerate the data revolution.”

I'm thinking that with the greater resources that Intel can throw at whatever Raja is working on that there could be some interesting stuff on the horizon.