Google Ditching a Planned Walking Calorie Counter in Google Maps Because of... Shaming?

PlayStation 2

Original article: https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/17/google-maps-calorie-ios-test-dump/

XRWVXng.png

Google is ditching a feature that was in the works for Google Maps due to users complaining on Twitter saying that it would shame or even trigger someone for showing the calorie count of a comparable walking route to a destination.

Google is ditching a planned feature for Maps following criticism on social media. The update was tied to directions and displayed how many calories you'd burn if you were to walk to your destination. By clicking on the walking option, you'd even be shown the calories in equivalence to mini cupcakes (of all things). Chances are, the search juggernaut was trying to encourage people to take the active route as opposed to driving. But, its attempt at promoting a healthy lifestyle didn't go down well online. A number of people lambasted the feature on Twitter, claiming it would "shame" and even "trigger" those with eating disorders.

Taking note of the negative reaction, Google is now dumping the experiment. It confirmed to Engadget that the update was briefly tested on iOS, and has been abandoned based on user feedback.

Taylor Lorenz, a reporter from The Hill first noted this feature, and apparently, you wouldn't have been able to turn it off.

As The Hill's Taylor Lorenz noted in her tweets, there was no way to turn off the feature. Lorenz also claimed that using pink cupcakes as the unit of measurement was "lowkey aimed at women." Others pointed out that Maps wasn't the appropriate place for the update. After all, there are plenty of fitness and calorie counting apps that keep track of your activity and consumption -- again emphasizing how misplaced the feature was.

Personally, it seems a little stupid that people were getting all riled up at this. Honestly I think this would've been a neat feature. But that's just me; what do you think about it?

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personally, it seems a little stupid that people were getting all riled up at this. Honestly I think this would've been a neat feature. But that's just me; what do you think about it?

Several people nowadays read about someone crying about something, and they will follow trying to jump on the i-need-attention train.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X Cooler: Corsair H100i Platinum SE Mobo: Asus B550-A GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 XC RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16CL 4x8GB (DDR4) SSD0: Crucial MX300 525GB SSD1: Samsung QVO 1TB PSU: NZXT C650 Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow Monitor: Asus VG259QM (240Hz)

I usually edit my posts immediately after posting them, as I don't check for typos before pressing the shiny SUBMIT button.

Unraid Server

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Mobo: Asus B650E-i RAM: Kingston Server Premier ECC 2x32GB (DDR5) SSD: Samsung 980 2x1TB HDD: Toshiba MG09 1x18TB; Toshiba MG08 2x16TB HDD Controller: LSI 9207-8i PSUCorsair SF750 Case: Node 304

What, this would be a good feature for people managing their calorie in take and burn. with this you would know if getting the burger is OK if you walked to pick it up. (for example)

EDIT: the article stated other app already track fitness so it is not need, but this feature doesn't track it provides a estimation of calorie burn.

I also don't get how this is seen as targeting woman.

Couldn't google make it off by default, and have it user activatable.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Shit, then Samsung ought to get rid of S Health, and another other company with a health app.

But I mean hey Google, doesn't have a dedicated health app. Maps could be where they add that functionality.

I mean they allow you to share your driving route on social media, why shouldn't you be able to share the route of and steps/calories you burnt a hike or walk you took.

Maybe they should've made a switch instead of dumping it all together to sooth those precious feelings of the goons who feel "shamed" or "triggered" for a readout of any form of energy be it kCal, Joules, Calories

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I think if this was an option that was originally off and users will only enable it if they want to, then people would not care as much. 

fat shaming works. Deal with it.

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Sounds correct from today's victim culture.

Nothing is safe from being labeled a personal attack.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

27 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you think that's stupid, I had someone on facebook say they would delete people if you didnt post a trigger warning when using the trending hashtag #metoo...

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

I'm in the boat of fitness trackers being stupid (mainly because of their inaccuracy and false sense of accomplishment) so I'm fine with this.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Just now, AHaskin14 said:

I'm in the boat of fitness trackers being stupid (mainly because of their inaccuracy and false sense of accomplishment) so I'm fine with this.

alright, but I mean sure they're not accurate but you can't deny that they don't give you an idea of what you're doing.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I'm on board with Calorie Counting being fairly dumb and a fairly poor tool for a healthy lifestyle but pulling something like this is next level stupid. I doubt Google pulled the feature exclusively because of a few SJWs and Buzzfeed complain about it though, there was assumable more business grade thought behind the action.

A bunch of the reporting on this seems like TRIGGER bait for people being TRIGGERED over people getting TRIGGERED.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

2 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

It's simple human psychology. We are very objectively driven and we like to see a short term goal / checkpoint over the long term one.

Call it stupid of w/e but its been proven to work

12 minutes ago, xtroria said:

It's simple human psychology. We are very objectively driven and we like to see a short term goal / checkpoint over the long term one.

Call it stupid of w/e but its been proven to work

ya it tells people they did something and they feel good but the problem is that they then go an eat a bowl of ice cream because they "deserved" it after their long walk. It often hurts people more than it helps.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

24 minutes ago, AHaskin14 said:

ya it tells people they did something and they feel good but the problem is that they then go an eat a bowl of ice cream because they "deserved" it after their long walk. It often hurts people more than it helps.

Studies show they're proven to work.

All studies brought to you by the wonderful people at FitBit.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

Now I'll never get into shape.

Kappa.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

913.gif

Why would they add this feature to a route planner, it is supposed to give you the fastest/shortest path. Instead of something useful like probability of rain (for people who can't look outside or at a weather report) they add this?

It probably took 5 minutes to program in the simplest way eg distance * constant . Furthermore for those who would actually care , it would be horribly inaccurate either way.

More on topic, I actually calorie count and it works well for me. I still dont exercise as much as I should probably (aka at all) but I am losing weight. My hair isn't falling out and I feel fine, even better than before when I was just shoveling shit into my mouth. This wouldn't incentivize me to walk more because I'm lazy but I think it would be helpful for people that aren't lazy shits like me.

MOAR COARS: 5GHz "Confirmed" Black Edition™ The Build
AMD 5950X 4.7/4.6GHz All Core Dynamic OC + 1900MHz FCLK | 5GHz+ PBO | ASUS X570 Dark Hero | 32 GB 3800MHz 14-15-15-30-48-1T GDM 8GBx4 |  PowerColor AMD Radeon 6900 XT Liquid Devil @ 2700MHz Core + 2130MHz Mem | 2x 480mm Rad | 8x Blacknoise Noiseblocker NB-eLoop B12-PS Black Edition 120mm PWM | Thermaltake Core P5 TG Ti + Additional 3D Printed Rad Mount

That does look like a cool feature, maybe they could make a special version of the Maps app, with the subtitle "for people without frail feeling"

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I don't get why people got triggered over this. Don't like it? Don't use it. I also don't get why Google is going to ditch it, IMO, they should add this feature, but they should let you disable it if you don't want it.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

She previously wrote for the Daily Mail....

Disregard her opinion xD 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III