Google Ditching a Planned Walking Calorie Counter in Google Maps Because of... Shaming?

PlayStation 2
58 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

- Thread Cleaned -

Leave the politics at the door. 

Only warning.

party poop

Meh I guess because people can't be pleasant to each other if they have different opinions it kinda ruins that for us who want to have legitimate discussion.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

19 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

I don't get why people got triggered over this. Don't like it? Don't use it. I also don't get why Google is going to ditch it, IMO, they should add this feature, but they should let you disable it if you don't want it.

They should just build it in disabled by default and let people enable it if they deside to to do so.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

21 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

913.gif

Why would they add this feature to a route planner, it is supposed to give you the fastest/shortest path. Instead of something useful like probability of rain (for people who can't look outside or at a weather report) they add this?

It probably took 5 minutes to program in the simplest way eg distance * constant . Furthermore for those who would actually care , it would be horribly inaccurate either way.

And yet there's options of multiple routes and the ability to completely avoid certain types of travel (motorways, A roads, boats, planes etc)... so why not ?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

20 hours ago, Deli said:

Walking doesn't burn much calories. It's better than nothing. But please do some real exercise like running and fast cycling.

If people think because they walk half an hour or one hour a day, that gives them the right to eat an extra burger. Think again.

You're right, but walking for 40 minutes+ is a better way to burn fat and it's a good starting point for many unhealthy Americans that may have developed diabetes or cardio vascular disease. 

4 minutes ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

You're right, but walking for 40 minutes+ is a better way to burn fat and it's a good starting point for many unhealthy Americans that may have developed diabetes or cardio vascular disease. 

I personally don't consider walking as exercise. Unless you're walking 30 Km or more.

It's sad health organizations have to resort to suggest walking instead of real exercise to improve health, because so many people sit in their office chairs and then their couches in front of the TV the whole day.

1 hour ago, Noctus said:

And yet there's options of multiple routes and the ability to completely avoid certain types of travel (motorways, A roads, boats, planes etc)... so why not ?

Hmm, it would be interesting to have a feature which gives you the estimated time by plane (with and without travel to airport overhead) to places nearby.

Google Maps: Estimated travel time - 0.004 seconds (4 hours including airport time)

16 hours ago, ScratchCat said:

Hmm, it would be interesting to have a feature which gives you the estimated time by plane (with and without travel to airport overhead) to places nearby.

Google Maps: Estimated travel time - 0.004 seconds (4 hours including airport time)

Google maps have that lol..... that's why i typed it as an example :D

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I have a small belly myself but normal weight. I would be ashamed with some of the enormous beer bellies I see here daily in the swimming bath.

On 10/18/2017 at 3:08 PM, AresKrieger said:

Why would it take 12 minutes to walk a little over half a mile, that is incredibly slow even for a fat person (such as myself) a full mile shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to walk, assuming the person isn't limping or something.

2 street crossings, presumably both at lights. Probably assumes 4-5 minutes of waiting around for the light to turn.

Folks: please stop assuming that this would just affect "fat shaming."  Think about people with eating disorders who'll see a calorie count as an excuse to lose weight they really can't afford to lose.  Yes, the likelihood of an anorexic getting directions, seeing that count and going on a walk that does serious damage is slim, but Google might not want to take that chance.

As it stands, I think it'd be somewhat arbitrary to include a calorie count no matter what.  Most people know that walking will burn more energy than driving; most people that care about calories are already using a fitness app.

5 hours ago, Commodus said:

Folks: please stop assuming that this would just affect "fat shaming."  Think about people with eating disorders who'll see a calorie count as an excuse to lose weight they really can't afford to lose.  Yes, the likelihood of an anorexic getting directions, seeing that count and going on a walk that does serious damage is slim, but Google might not want to take that chance.

As it stands, I think it'd be somewhat arbitrary to include a calorie count no matter what.  Most people know that walking will burn more energy than driving; most people that care about calories are already using a fitness app.

I can't tell if you're serious or not... By that logic we should not include calorie counts on anything, because it might make anorexic people choose options with less calories.

To say that we should withhold information that might be useful for a lot of people, simply because a very small minority might use that information to cause self-harm, is incredibly stupid.

You might as well be saying we should ban all information about the harmful effects of smoking, because someone who wants to get cancer might learn about it and start smoking.

What world do we live in... This is a good idea for a south park episode like... what?

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

19 hours ago, LAwLz said:

I can't tell if you're serious or not... By that logic we should not include calorie counts on anything, because it might make anorexic people choose options with less calories.

To say that we should withhold information that might be useful for a lot of people, simply because a very small minority might use that information to cause self-harm, is incredibly stupid.

You might as well be saying we should ban all information about the harmful effects of smoking, because someone who wants to get cancer might learn about it and start smoking.

No, I'm saying that it's a bit much to make calorie counts mandatory in an app that many people will use without any need for and intention of seeing calorie counts.  Of course you should see calorie counts in fitness and food apps.

And it's important to stress that I'm not ridiculously upset about the concept of incorporating calories.  I just think it's ridiculous to get so worked up about cancelling the feature, and that many people are using this as an excuse to attack fat people ("aw, fatties don't want to feel guilty!") without thinking that there are people who genuinely suffer from guilt-tripping, whether it's people with eating disorders or medical conditions that prevent them from exercising.

On 10/18/2017 at 11:53 AM, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personally, it seems a little stupid that people were getting all riled up at this. Honestly I think this would've been a neat feature. But that's just me; what do you think about it?

SJW twits are a major part of the reason why we can't have nice things.  I'm personally a tad on the....rotund side, shall we say.  I doubt I would have used this feature, but I have no issue with it existing even if it wasn't optional.  Having said that, if they made it optional they could probably satisfy all sides.

That said, I think we need to put all the SJW crybabies in a corner and let them whine there instead of bothering the rest of us.  Sort of like putting a child in a "timeout" (which, for the record, I still prefer the application of 'the board of eduction to the seat of learning' instead, but I doubt that would work on the SJW's).

On 10/18/2017 at 11:35 PM, Swatson said:

I can express that I find the use of the word triggered to be dumb, I have that much freedom of speech even on here.

So, you're saying you're triggered by the word triggered? ;) 

Why remove it completely, surely just having it as an option would have been fine,  not because the information is "bad for some", but because screen real estate is a commodity on some devices and the last thing you need is more information than necessary when trying to get somewhere new.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Why remove it completely, surely just having it as an option would have been fine,  not because the information is "bad for some", but because screen real estate is a commodity on some devices and the last thing you need is more information than necessary when trying to get somewhere new.

It'll probably be added later when the morons complaining about it find something else to complain about and set their sights on something equally ridiculous like how water is too clear and people could drown because they can't see it so companies need to start dying their water for safety.

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

'the board of eduction to the seat of learning' instead

But then they would nag about being educated corporally. 

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

It'll probably be added later when the morons complaining about it find something else to complain about and set their sights on something equally ridiculous like how water is too clear and people could drown because they can't see it so companies need to start dying their water for safety.

Gatorade is WAY ahead of you. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Gatorade is WAY ahead of you. 

But the profits go towards alligators which eat small children and puppies... xD

-KuJoe

Just now, KuJoe said:

But the profits go towards alligators which eat small children and puppies...

Oh no, not the children... ... /s 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

38 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

But the profits go towards alligators which eat small children

Good.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Thanks Google. You've demonstrated to the entire world in the past few months, why the world can't have nice things anymore. Any chances of firing the project manager for daring to do something like this?

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

14 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Thanks Google. You've demonstrated to the entire world in the past few months, why the world can't have nice things anymore. Any chances of firing the project manager for daring to do something like this?

Combine that decision with their crazy stance on affirmative action hire and you got a company willing to sacrifice quality tech advancement for social feels.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.