Dell - WD19DCS not connecting to AMD Desktop.

Dorfink

In all there are 3 different systems I use on a daily basis, an M1 Macbook Air (for college and programming), a Dell Latitude 7530 (for Work), and my Gaming PC (R5-5600x, RTX 3070, 16 GB). I got a Dell - WD19DCS Dock so all I need to do is swap the cable between systems, and change inputs on the monitor. This works for both laptops but when I connect to my PC it just does not work. The peripherals dont connect, no ethernet, nothing.

I was under the impression that the dock would essentially just act as a regular usb hub if plugged unto a regular usb-c port. Am I correct in this assumption or am I dead wrong?

Any Ideas for what might be causing this?

20240428_055507.jpg

Its most likely a thunderbolt dock, not "backwards" compatible with plain usb. Thunderbolt has a different signaling system. Usually thunderbolt docks have a whole pci-e usb controller in them so it is more than a hub.

On 4/28/2024 at 10:09 AM, Pesukarhu said:

Its most likely a thunderbolt dock, not "backwards" compatible with plain usb. Thunderbolt has a different signaling system. Usually thunderbolt docks have a whole pci-e usb controller in them so it is more than a hub.

I see. I was under the impression that thunderbolt dock act as usb hubs when they are plugged into ordinary usb-c ports. My solution I came up with is to just get a KVM to swap between sending my peripheral signal to the dock and the pc.