Adobe - stop using ‘Photoshop’ as a generic term

ahhming
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I am locking this thread as it is misleading and just getting people heated up over nothing.

Adobe is not asking people to stop using Photoshop as a generic term, they are not actively trying to change the way people use the word.

Someone just found that clause buried in Adobe's legal documentation and is trying to make a big deal out of it. This is a standard legal clause all companies must have to protect their trademarks, otherwise if Adobe officially allowed the term "Photoshop" to be used generically then other software could be legally called "Photoshop" software. Adobe doesn't really care if you use the term Photoshop, they just can't officially endorse its generic use.

post-9623-0-17842900-1440637776.png

Adobe says terms like “The photoshop”, “photoshopped,” “Photoshopped” and "Adobe Photoshopped” are all things you cant use. In addition, the company says you shouldn’t use its trademark as a generic term — “A photoshopper” — nor in possessive form: “Photoshop’s new features are impressive,” .

Proper use of the Photoshop trademark

Trademarks help protect corporate and product identity, and the Photoshop trademark is one of Adobe’s most valuable trademarks. By following these guidelines, you can help Adobe protect the Photoshop brand name.
You must never use the Photoshop trademark as a common verb (‘to photoshop an image,” as an example of such incorrect use) or as a noun. Since Photoshop is a trademark, you should always use it as an adjective only to describe the Adobe products associated with the Photoshop brand. And you should always use the Photoshop trademark with an initial capital letter “P.” . Please see the examples of the proper use of the Photoshop trademark in the “General trademark guidelines ” section above.

It doesn’t want to see you abbreviating “Photoshop” as PS, either.

Source:
http://www.adobe.com/legal/permissions/trademarks.html?PID=7104715

post-9623-0-17842900-1440637776.png

YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, DAD!

Seriously, that is silly of them. They can't control this any more than any other name brand company can control their products being used as a verb.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yeah.... This will change literally nothing lol

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"That kid is a photoshopper." Oh, I feel like such a rebel now.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I just Photoshoped

post-25688-0-00881700-1440638107.jpg

post-25688-0-00881700-1440638107.jpg

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

I use Manga studio I mean Clip Studio Paint Pro.. 

That is literally straight off their legal page on their website. There's a 99.99% chance its only there "because lawyers". And the fact that trademarks can be lost if not protected. But yeah, I completely doubt Adobe actually gives a flying shit, at all. It's more obligatory/formality than anything.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

That is literally straight off their legal page on their website. There's a 99.99% chance its only there "because lawyers". And the fact that trademarks can be lost if not protected. But yeah, I completely doubt Adobe actually gives a flying shit, at all. It's more obligatory/formality than anything.

I agree 100% - I doubt very much that they will try and enforce this in any meaningful way, since that task is pretty much impossible.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Do you call a rotary cutter a dremel? Probably. It will happen more than not.

Let me dremel the handle off that rotary cutter for you.

Is Adobe a language company now? Until they start printing language arts books and stuff like that, who are they to tell us how we should speak?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Because this is a problem.. apparently.  :blink:

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

Like other members pointed out this is probably because of laws and stuff.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

They use it themselves, in "PS Touch" - haha

Spoiler

Everyday build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X99 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Intel 750 Series 1.2TB + 4TB WD Black - Case: Corsair 760T White - PSU: SeaSonic 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Pro - Wireless Adapter: TP-Link Archer T9E - Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB - Mouse(s): Corsair Gaming M65 RGB + Logitech MX Master - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WhyK99 https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/474247-r8-my-build/

Weekend build:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5930k - GPU(s): 2x EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified ACX2.0+ (SLI) - Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 - Motherboard: ASUS X99-Deluxe - RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4 4x8GB (2666MHz) - Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB m.2 & 2TB Samsung 850 Evo - Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv - PSU: SeaSonic SnowSilent 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified - OS: Windows 10 Home - Monitor: Dell S2716DG 144hz - Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB - Mouse: Corsair Gaming M65 RGB - Headphones: Sennheiser PC363D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YYK93C

Don't tell what to do Photoshop. I purchased you now your mine bitch! Don't nag at me what I can and can't do! May as well having signs plastered saying this was  "Photoshopped" because they are.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

While it looks and sounds silly what they are doing, they must show that Adobe is protecting their trademark, else it becomes public property, and also it won't stand in court, even if someone creates a photo editor called "Photoshop", as it is now public.

Showing that they do steps to protect their trademark, provide validity to a judge that PhotoShop is properly a trademark, and privately owned, and no one else can use it without permission.

Lol, and they really think that people will give 2 shits? Lol.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol, and they really think that people will give 2 shits? Lol.

Read the posts me and GoodBytes already made on this thread. Adobe doesn't actually care if people say it or not, they just need to be able to show that they make efforts to protect their trademark or else they can lose it.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

This image was enhanced using software associated with the Adobe® Photoshop® trademark published by Adobe® Systems inc.*

*Adobe® Photoshop® is either a registered trademark or a trademark of Adobe® Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries. The Adobe® Photoshop® trademark must only be used in compliance with the Adobe® Trademark Guidelines. Adobe® Systems inc. is not associated with the building material called adobe.

THIS FORUM POST IS NOT AUTHORIZED, ENDORSED OR SPONSORED BY ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED, PUBLISHER OF ADOBE PHOTOSHOP