Adobe - stop using ‘Photoshop’ as a generic term

ahhming
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I am locking this thread as it is misleading and just getting people heated up over nothing.

Adobe is not asking people to stop using Photoshop as a generic term, they are not actively trying to change the way people use the word.

Someone just found that clause buried in Adobe's legal documentation and is trying to make a big deal out of it. This is a standard legal clause all companies must have to protect their trademarks, otherwise if Adobe officially allowed the term "Photoshop" to be used generically then other software could be legally called "Photoshop" software. Adobe doesn't really care if you use the term Photoshop, they just can't officially endorse its generic use.

GIMP is better for many reasons, first of all it's free, features almost everything that photoshop has, is easy to make plugins for, is more logical to use and is libre

I agree, but it's that almost that could make the difference for someone making money out of it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

From now on I will just say "this image has been GIMPED"

iE8KnDK.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I agree, but it's that almost that could make the difference for someone making money out of it.

Well, since that's not the difference for me, I'd rather not get cucked by Adobe

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

That's not fair to ps (I feel so evil), it DOES have features that gimp lacks or doesn't do as well - depending on what you need that may or may not concern you (for 99% of people gimp is more than fine of course).

Where there is a missing feature, there is a plugin.

Stop using ‘Photoshop’ as a generic term

Untitled_zpsekotugfc.png

See I'm a 21st century digital boy,
I don't know how to live but I've got a lot of toys. 

YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, DAD!

Seriously, that is silly of them. They can't control this any more than any other name brand company can control their products being used as a verb.

"Googling"

"Youtubing"

the list goes on.

"Googling"

"Youtubing"

the list goes on.

"Nerf" comes to mind for me. You know those soft foam bullets? People now use the term in gaming for when a class or weapon suddenly becomes soft. It becomes "nerfed". 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

if I can "Google" a search word then I can "Photoshop" an image

Agreed its like velcro, hoovers etc they are brand names but people use them as generic terms

"just velcro them together" etc - is a perfectly accepted piece of speech between normal people

If anything it PROMOTES photoshop 

You made a huge point I missed, half the reason it pisses me off is the need to sit back and enjoy this brand association, which is so rare in the world of software. 

We will do what we damn well please Adobe

GIMP is better for many reasons, first of all it's free, features almost everything that photoshop has, is easy to make plugins for, is more logical to use and is libre

The issue is that well :

"That picture looks photoshopped!"

"That picture looks Gimped!"

Which sounds right?

Gimp is better, but in the eye of the consumer, Photoshop is better because it is paid.

Where there is a missing feature, there is a plugin.

Look, I respect gimp. And before I did stuff to the level I do now, I used it semi-exclusively. 

It's very robust for something just available under a gpl, very impressive really. 

However, it is no replacement for photoshop. Photoshop is so much better on many levels. 

I don't like Abobe. I don't like a lot of the things they do, and I don't like most their software. But photoshop is much more capable than gimp. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Look, I respect gimp. And before I did stuff to the level I do now, I used it semi-exclusively. 

It's very robust for something just available under a gpl, very impressive really. 

However, it is no replacement for photoshop. Photoshop is so much better on many levels. 

I don't like Abobe. I don't like a lot of the things they do, and I don't like most their software. But photoshop is much more capable than gimp.

I understand, each program has its pros and cons, each trading equally painful blows.

(Free VS $850 U.S. Year, FOSS vs licensing)

Why do they care? Publicity.

Because this is a problem.. apparently.  :blink:

because the way american trademark works, if the word becomes generic they can't trademark it, and if they already did but someone infringes on it there's a chance that they might loose the case, because the word is generic. this happened with the word 'cola', the coca-cola company could not trademark the it as a brand because it has become generic.

you see them trying to stop it no?

big biznuess pay them a whole lot of $$$$

just like ms doesn't give 2 shits if you pirated windows.

the enterprise  $$$ makes most of these companies money.

Maybe it's because I just woke up, but I didn't understand this at all.

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

I understand, each program has its pros and cons, each trading equally painful blows.

(Free VS $850 U.S. Year, FOSS vs licensing)

A lot of people bootleg photoshop for personal/non commercial use, and I have no problem with that personally. But a lot of people bootleg it and use it for commercial purposes. I'm not OK with that. 

For me it's free vs free if you aren't doing paid things. Just my opinion though. 

I'm sorta glad adobe does monthly now, more obtainable for people that want it semi-casually.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

A lot of people bootleg photoshop for personal/non commercial use, and I have no problem with that personally. But a lot of people bootleg it and use it for commercial purposes. I'm not OK with that.

For me it's free vs free if you aren't doing paid things. Just my opinion though.

I'm sorta glad adobe does monthly now, more obtainable for people that want it semi-casually.

It is nice to know that my 1,000th post will be in a fanboy war, or in an instance that isn't civil.

Well, I get where you are coming from, but one thing: 85% of my clients run Linux on their Workstations (mostly number crunching, and edit photos, as well as encoding (not editing, just encoding)) But the issue is that Adobe doesn't support Linux anymore, let-alone for free.

It is nice to know that my 1,000th post will be in a fanboy war, or in an instance that isn't civil.

Well, I get where you are coming from, but one thing: 85% of my clients run Linux on their Workstations (mostly number crunching, and edit photos, as well as encoding (not editing, just encoding)) But the issue is that Adobe doesn't support Linux anymore, let-alone for free.

Damn shame too. I mean idk what the hell they are thinking, not taking advantage of potential customers on linux. 

Interesting that you have that many linux clients. 

muh specs 

All parts black

Damn shame too. I mean idk what the hell they are thinking, not taking advantage of potential customers on linux. 

Interesting that you have that many linux clients.

Most of my clients are aboard the FOSS movement.

That's the problem when your brand is too successful and you end up a generic term for both yourself and all of your competitors. Just ask Kleenex or Hoover.

I am locking this thread as it is misleading and just getting people heated up over nothing.

Adobe is not asking people to stop using Photoshop as a generic term, they are not actively trying to change the way people use the word.

Someone just found that clause buried in Adobe's legal documentation and is trying to make a big deal out of it. This is a standard legal clause all companies must have to protect their trademarks, otherwise if Adobe officially allowed the term "Photoshop" to be used generically then other software could be legally called "Photoshop" software. Adobe doesn't really care if you use the term Photoshop, they just can't officially endorse its generic use.