Adobe - stop using ‘Photoshop’ as a generic term

ahhming
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

I am locking this thread as it is misleading and just getting people heated up over nothing.

Adobe is not asking people to stop using Photoshop as a generic term, they are not actively trying to change the way people use the word.

Someone just found that clause buried in Adobe's legal documentation and is trying to make a big deal out of it. This is a standard legal clause all companies must have to protect their trademarks, otherwise if Adobe officially allowed the term "Photoshop" to be used generically then other software could be legally called "Photoshop" software. Adobe doesn't really care if you use the term Photoshop, they just can't officially endorse its generic use.

Read the posts me and GoodBytes already made on this thread. Adobe doesn't actually care if people say it or not, they just need to be able to show that they make efforts to protect their trademark or else they can lose it.

I know that, but will people actually care? No.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I use Photoshop. Therefore, the images which come from me are Photoshopped. End of story. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I use Photoshop. Therefore, the images which come from me are Photoshopped. End of story. :P

Doesn't matter if you care or not. What they do care is to show something to the judge if they take someone to court for genuine trademark infringement. The one brought to court by Adobe, can't say "Yea i called my software 'PhotoShop' because it a word commonly used, might a s well be part of the English dictionary". Now Adobe lawyers can basically say: "No, we do our best to protect our trademarks. We do this, this, and that, and that as well, plus we try and educate people, and therefor we take a fairly active stance in protecting our trademarks, despite being is used a lot in the field".

Its like adobe doesn't even know how the internet works

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Its like adobe doesn't even know how the internet works

Please read my and RH00D posts.

This is more like Adobe lawyers, Why? mentioned posts talked about it. Read them.

The term "photoshopped" may have it's origin from Adobe's software but it does not belong to Adobe. The term "photoshopped" refers to photo and shop, as in work shop and Adobe's software is named Photoshop as in "a workshop for photographs." Adobe is making the misconception that they can Trademark a loose concept.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

They are doing it to prevent it being a generic term and therefore preventing them from having it as a trademark of Adobe.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Did Adobe running out of idea??? <_<

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Seriously, that is silly of them. They can't control this any more than any other name brand company can control their products being used as a verb.

Many brands have actually done it to some level of success.

That photo was photoshopped.

That photo was Paint.net'ed

._.

AMD A8-5500•••ASUS GTX 660•••MSI MS-7778 Mobo•••2x4GB DDR3 RAM•••CoolerMaster v550 Semi-Modular PSU•••1.5TB HDD•256GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD•••Optical Drive•••Phanteks Enthoo Pro

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS THEN?!

1041px-Adobe_Photoshop_CS6_icon.svg.png

exactly my point.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

So Adobe's butthurt about us using Photoshop generically... I feel as if they should be more butthurt about the fact that so many people pirate their fucking software

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

"We don't have a trademark for all this other stuff, but people might think we do so nobody's ever allowed to use any of them."

Even if an image is "Gimped", people will call it Photoshopped, good luck trying to kill something that's so buried in the Internet culture.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

So Adobe's butthurt about us using Photoshop generically... I feel as if they should be more butthurt about the fact that so many people pirate their fucking software

*Because its so expensive

PMSL

Adobe should be thrilled about people using the term generically.  It's like people saying "google this" for searching stuff online. 

so fucking salty.

*Because its so expensive

^

Sally: l Intel i5 4690k | | Corsair H55 | | Zalman z12 plus | | Hitachi 2TB HDD | | Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB | | ASRock Fatal1ty z97 Killer | | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | | EVGA SuperNova 750 watt | | MSI 390 | | Windows 10| 

2022882.jpg

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

While it looks and sounds silly what they are doing, they must show that Adobe is protecting their trademark, else it becomes public property, and also it won't stand in court, even if someone creates a photo editor called "Photoshop", as it is now public.

Showing that they do steps to protect their trademark, provide validity to a judge that PhotoShop is properly a trademark, and privately owned, and no one else can use it without permission.

So it's silly. Gotcha.

................................................................................................................Is a corporation REALLY trying to tell us what language we can use in our daily lives?

u9fVpSi.gif

Seriously?.....copyrights have gone too far.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Yay for retarded american trade marking laws. After all, they will lose the right to the name Photoshop, if it becomes a generic term. It might have gone too close to that already, since they released this crap.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

well oxford dictionary uses the term photoshop loosely so i think adobe cant really just change it, you would have better luck getting the Americans pronouncing Aluminium

To edit, manipulate, or alter (a photographic image) digitally using Photoshop image-editing software.

Its all about those volumetric clouds

well oxford dictionary uses the term photoshop loosely so i think adobe cant really just change it, you would have better luck getting the Americans pronouncing Aluminium

Straight up, I tend to ignore American definitions of words since spelling is normally butchered.

PMSL

you see them trying to stop it no?

big biznuess pay them a whole lot of $$$$

just like ms doesn't give 2 shits if you pirated windows.

the enterprise  $$$ makes most of these companies money.

Their management must be totally Gimped.

PS:

Adobe... Why is this bothering you at all? You won't escape from this!