October 18th Apple Event - Unleashed - Apple Silicon, MacBook Pro upgrades, HomePod mini, AirPods 3rd Generation

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Summary

The Apple Unleashed event is over! Here are the new products that were announced:

• AirPods
    • New AirPods 3rd Generation: MagSafe wireless charging, Adaptive EQ, and longer battery life
  • HomePod mini
    • In addition to Space Gray and White, HomePod mini now comes in Blue, Yellow, and Orange
  • Apple Music
    • New Voice Plan starts at $4.99/month, allows for Apple Music through Siri, including new custom playlist
  • And yes, new Macs and Apple Silicon
    • The M1 chip is now part of a lineup of three SoC designs, including the M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max
    • The MacBook Pro has been redesigned, bringing back more ports, MagSafe charging, better battery life, and more
      • The 14" MacBook Pro starts at $1999, and the 16" starts at $2499. The 13" M1 MBP is now the base model
      • Support for up to 64GB of unified memory and 8TB of flash storage
      • M1 Pro and Max both have 10 CPU cores, and M1 Max can have up to 32 GPU cores
      • Fast charging has been added to the MacBook Pro, allowing for up to 50% charge in only 30 minutes

My thoughts

I'm really excited for the new MacBook Pros. I plan on upgrading to a new 16" MacBook Pro within the next couple months, and I can't wait. 

Sources

Apple Events

The Verge

18 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

Fullscreen? Applications that use the whole menu bar (I'd argue probably crappy UI design to begin with, but it is a valid use case)? The top middle of the display is less important on macOS than Windows, but it's not unimportant.

Fullscreen on these devices will not grow up into the notch area by default the os just blanks outage pixels at the top, they will stay below it (unless the developer opts into growing above).   

12 minutes ago, TheFlyingBanana said:

Wow, these new MacBook Pros sound like really good machines that won't have any comparable laptop alternatives for many months to come, especially in the fit and finish, raw performance, built-in audio and display quality sections!

I'm just gonna cry somewhere else for now because the prices of these things in Portugal are, well, what you get for selling an arm and a leg......

20211018_223332.jpg

Cinzento sideral sounds way cooler than pt-br cinzento espacial.

About pricing: damn.

Spoiler

_20211018_185123.JPG.5c31d354619913af164429d367722186.JPG

VW Polo (about the same price as a Golf, Fox, etc)_20211018_185139.thumb.JPG.5e38d90866a91e3d07dd3b2539023e3b.JPG

21 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

Actually they also compared it with the current M1 so it gives a better idea of its overall power. That's around 50% more power if I recall correctly for the M1 Pro

My viewpoint is from an x86 perspective. Comparing with the M1 doesn't help people like me.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

15 minutes ago, Forbidden Wafer said:

Cinzento sideral sounds way cooler than pt-br cinzento espacial.

About pricing: damn.

Hide contents

_20211018_185123.JPG.5c31d354619913af164429d367722186.JPG

VW Polo_20211018_185139.thumb.JPG.5e38d90866a91e3d07dd3b2539023e3b.JPG

At least they thought of a nice synonym for this "extraterrestrial grey" finish.

Holy bananas, 5155€ as the starting price in Brazil for the 16' version!? As soon as you start upgrading the individual parts you'll quickly approach the full price of that car .-....

I always find these luxury technology companies global pricing plans hilariously dark and unjust:

Lower monthly average wages = far higher costs;

Higher monthly average wages = "relatively" low costs.

I wonder if prices for these new MacBook Pros in places like Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Finland, etc. are similar to the ones for Portugal (if so, that would be beyond iniquitous and truly devilish).

I've got an intel macbook. For all of us who are now officially and completely deprecated, a little song to drown your sorrows in:

2 minutes ago, TheFlyingBanana said:

Holy bananas, 5155€ as the starting price in Brazil for the 16' version!? As soon as you start upgrading the individual parts you'll quickly approach the full price of that car .-....

I always find these luxury technology companies global pricing plans hilariously dark and unjust:

Brazil is special because they have MASSIVE import taxes on such goods, like "double the price" massive.

That's to push companies to manufacture in Brazil, but... if the companies don't consider worth it as a buyer you're stuck with the import tax.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Samsung has just announced its new laptop!

samsung.png.873b3b6c6568d24fdbec8de2efd8ac31.png

The Samsung Galaxy Book 360 S3

Features new notch design to fit a 1080p camera with Windows Hello facial recognition and Bixby Microphone Technology (TM)

It also feature 2 forward facing speakers on the display via its side display notches.

Samsung says that not only they have this new 3 notch design, they are also 50% larger than the newly announced MacBook Pro

The company will release it, right after its coming up ad campaign making fun of the notches on Apple new MacBook Pro.

26 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

I think you're confused on what I was comparing. I'm not comparing the specs at all. I'm comparing the price for the screen. If you wanted the 15" MBP in 2015, you could get one for as low as $1999. Here in 2021 that price is $2499. Yes, I know the 16" MBP has more hardware than the base model 2015 15" MBP. That's not the point. My point is that if you want the larger screen regardless of the hardware inside, you're paying more for it now than in 2015. Not sure why that's hard to understand. I'm completely aware of the fact that the components inside aren't comparable. Some people just want the larger display, and these days it costs them more to get that. 

No, I'm not confused. You originally quoted me pages back when I said these have been priced the same for a long time. And they have been... 

You then try to correct me using a product category that was never equal and hasn't existed since 2015. You're hung up and moving goalposts to keep up this ridiculous logical fallacy so you can win an argument.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Brazil is special because they have MASSIVE import taxes on such goods, like "double the price" massive.

Only if imported directly by the end-user (60-90%). If a company imports it, taxes are much lower (20-40%).
There was an exemption from such taxes if the product price was below 5k BRL, and that never was the case for Apple stuff. Dells that used to be 2.5-3k BRL skyrocketed to 6-7k BRL. With the pandemic's demand, 8-9k. 😢

30 minutes ago, Roswell said:

No, I'm not confused. You originally quoted me pages back when I said these have been priced the same for a long time. And they have been... 

You sure as hell seem to be confused. I don't know how to explain this any other way. The lowest end 15" and 16" MacBook Pros have NOT always been equal in price. 

31 minutes ago, Roswell said:

You then try to correct me using a product category that was never equal and hasn't existed since 2015. 

The product category for the 2015 MBP I'm referring to is "15" MacBook Pro". The iGPU vs. dGPU comparison doesn't matter. Yes, the 2015 MBP I'm referring to is a lower end device. I don't care about that because I'm talking about the screen size. If the average person in 2015 wanted a MacBook Pro, but they wanted a 15" screen as well, then they could pay $1999 to get that combination. 

If the average person today wanted a MacBook Pro, but they wanted a 16" screen as well (the 16" is the direct replacement for the 15"), then they have to pay $2499 to get the lowest end MBP with a 16" screen. Yes, it's a more powerful device, but it's still the lowest end option. I don't know what you don't understand about that. 

34 minutes ago, Roswell said:

You're hung up and moving goalposts to keep up this ridiculous logical fallacy so you can win an argument.

LMAO. Moving goalposts? I'm the one who has tried over and over to explain my comparison here. You're the one who is refusing to compare the iGPU MBP to the current 16" MBP because the internals aren't comparable. I know that. Some people don't buy the larger machine because they want a more powerful computer. Some buy the larger machine because they want the larger screen. In that case, my argument is absolutely valid. Refuse to believe it if you want, but don't accuse me of trying to move goalposts. Instead, please try to understand the comparison I'm making here. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

The guy in the intro used a dongle

I have an ASUS G14 2021 with Manjaro KDE and I am a professional Linux NoOB and also pretty bad at General Computing.

ALSO I DON'T EDIT MY POSTS* NOWADAYS SO NO NEED TO REFRESH BEFORE REPLYING *unless I edit my post

1 hour ago, TheFlyingBanana said:

I'm just gonna go cry somewhere else for now because the prices of these things in Portugal are, well, what you get for selling an arm and a leg......

That same machine is 4300 Euro in Germany and Spain, both countries have around 20% of VAT - why is hardware so expensive in Portugal? Might even make sense to order it in Spain and pick it up when traveling there. Totally legal to move goods around within the EU without any tax/toll.

Edit: Wait, somehow the same machine in the .pt store is "only" 4.400 when I configure it:

grafik.thumb.png.e33241cd268250782f4d71f7c558ce35.png

4 hours ago, GDRRiley said:

the notch is stupid. only making replacement screens harder to get.

happy to see magsafe come back

150$ now for the charger+cable, WTF it use to be 80$ for both

64gb of ram is tied to M1 MAX chip not M1 pro ie 24/32 GPU not 16.
love that 1tb of SSD space costs 300-400$ more.

Well it's not like you could replace a screen before, but yeah that 1TB SSD is ridiculous though I doubt most people would need it.

And Apple finally realized what HDMI and a SD card slot is.

57 minutes ago, gjsman said:

"the notch doesn't block anything".

Except full screen content and any app that isn't accounting for a silly notch.

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

Well it's not like you could replace a screen before, but yeah that 1TB SSD is ridiculous though I doubt most people would need it.

And Apple finally realized what HDMI and a SD card slot is.

well it was easier to get screens from LG.
the common use cases for MBP use lots of storage

well yeah, after "Behind the Mac" all showed pros using pre 2016 machines with ports apple realized they had to go back

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

36 minutes ago, Dracarris said:

That same machine is 4300 Euro in Germany and Spain, both countries have around 20% of VAT - why is hardware so expensive in Portugal? Might even make sense to order it in Spain and pick it up when traveling there. Totally legal to move goods around within the EU without any tax/toll.

I really don't know why PC hardware is so expensive and brand availability so limited in Portugal (you can't even get any recent Dell XPS models over here), but it does make a lot more sense to just purchase most laptops somewhere else within the EU, enjoy the journey while at it and return with a fairly priced product.

It's 23% VAT here, which is very close to the nations you mentioned and yet, for wathever reason, there appears to be some sort of 'under the radar' extra fee added on top of the already exorbitant prices being asked nationally. 

Edit: Ahhh, I'm sorry for that not showing up in the screenshot (couldn't fit it), but you're correct that it is 4413,31€ without software included -- the price I showed included Final Cut Pro at 299€.

Still slightly more expensive, but not as crazy expensive as the price listed on the Brazilian website.

5 hours ago, leadeater said:

We could always play a game of who's looks worse, here is the 16" with the M1 Max with 64GB

image.png.c18d7b783a38f7f9e2cc74c5ec81e43c.png

Waiting for yourself or someone from Japan to crush my number lol

I honestly didn't think it was that bad... Compared to the i9s we had in the past. I was expecting 8-10k.

1 hour ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

No way, finally Apple engineers figured out that they can fit more than USB C ports on their macbooks, thank god.

Actually, that was an error. The guy responsable sending the cad design to Foxconn to make the laptop sent out the age old MacBook Pro design. That is why you have a notch, missing touchbar, and no longer has the tapered base, it's boxy again.

Apple noticed the screw up, and was like, screw it, millions were built already.. just shipped it. Our marketing team will take care of it.

/joking

1 hour ago, BondiBlue said:

You sure as hell seem to be confused. I don't know how to explain this any other way. The lowest end 15" and 16" MacBook Pros have NOT always been equal in price. 

The product category for the 2015 MBP I'm referring to is "15" MacBook Pro". The iGPU vs. dGPU comparison doesn't matter. Yes, the 2015 MBP I'm referring to is a lower end device. I don't care about that because I'm talking about the screen size. If the average person in 2015 wanted a MacBook Pro, but they wanted a 15" screen as well, then they could pay $1999 to get that combination. 

If the average person today wanted a MacBook Pro, but they wanted a 16" screen as well (the 16" is the direct replacement for the 15"), then they have to pay $2499 to get the lowest end MBP with a 16" screen. Yes, it's a more powerful device, but it's still the lowest end option. I don't know what you don't understand about that. 

LMAO. Moving goalposts? I'm the one who has tried over and over to explain my comparison here. You're the one who is refusing to compare the iGPU MBP to the current 16" MBP because the internals aren't comparable. I know that. Some people don't buy the larger machine because they want a more powerful computer. Some buy the larger machine because they want the larger screen. In that case, my argument is absolutely valid. Refuse to believe it if you want, but don't accuse me of trying to move goalposts. Instead, please try to understand the comparison I'm making here. 

You need to go back to my original post you quoted and evaluate how absurd your tangent is.

I say to another poster: "They've been this expensive"

You then go on some extended tirade about a model from 6 years ago which was not comparable. It's illogical, irrelevant to my original comment and serves zero purpose. Yet you continue to argue in fallacies because you can't handle someone correcting you on the internet. 

You do you, I'm not replying to this anymore. I'm done wasting my energy trying to wrap my brain around your mental gymnastics.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I watched the presentation, I was impressed, I ordered a 14 inch, supposed to be here a week from tomorrow, guess Ill give my hands on thoughts then but over all Im excited for this machine

I was hoping for the rumored high end mac mini. Thats about the only other mac I'd get. My M1 MBP is fine for my uses. Plenty fast enough.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 64GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Razer Deathstalker v2 / Razer Basilisk v3 Pro / Sennheiser HD 600

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / iPhone 15 Pro Max

42 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Actually, that was an error. The guy responsable sending the cad design to Foxconn to make the laptop sent out the age old MacBook Pro design. That is why you have a notch, missing touchbar, and no longer has the tapered base, it's boxy again.

Apple noticed the screw up, and was like, screw it, millions were built already.. just shipped it. Our marketing team will take care of it.

Not sure if serious...

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

35 minutes ago, Roswell said:

You need to go back to my original post you quoted and evaluate how absurd your tangent is.

I say to another poster: "They've been this expensive"

Here's what you said: 

And I responded that the 2015 15" MacBook Pro started at $1999 for the base model. $1999 =/= $2499. 

38 minutes ago, Roswell said:

You then go on some extended tirade about a model from 6 years ago which was not comparable. It's illogical, irrelevant to my original comment and serves zero purpose.

All I'm doing is presenting the facts as they are. How the hell is the base model 2015 15" MBP not comparable in price to the 16" MBP when looking at price alone? You're the one making statements here that are completely irrelevant to what I said. I do understand what point you're trying to make. I've tried to say that multiple times. 

40 minutes ago, Roswell said:

Yet you continue to argue in fallacies because you can't handle someone correcting you on the internet. 

I don't see the fallacy I've used. The price for the base model 15" 2015 MBP was $1999. That's a fact. The price for the base model 16" 2021 MBP is $2499. That's also a fact. I don't care about others correcting me online. Everyone learns something every day, and I don't claim to know everything. However, I do know my Mac models pretty well, including their pricing. 

You, on the other hand, have continued to ignore the iGPU 15" MBP and instead continue to compare the new 16" MBP to an upgraded 15" 2015 MBP. The model with dedicated graphics WAS NOT the base model. You're the one doing mental gymnastics trying to ignore the existence of the lower end 2015 models for my comparison. 

43 minutes ago, Roswell said:

You do you, I'm not replying to this anymore. I'm done wasting my energy trying to wrap my brain around your mental gymnastics.

I mean, it's simple numbers and words. They can't be that hard to understand, right? I made my point, you made your response based on a different argument that was irrelevant to my point. Whatever. If you'd like to actually have a proper discussion you can just read what I wrote. I've made it plain as day multiple times over. 

I get that you may have been comparing the higher end 2015 15" MBP with the new base model 16" MBP with someone else, but that's not what I was doing. You're the one who brought up the higher end models, not me. My comparison is totally valid whether you want to realize it or not. If not then fine, go on with your life. It doesn't matter to me. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I only watched the part specific to the Max and Pro, and I am not impressed at all. It was just a bunch of graphs with ambiguous number claims. I do want competition. I want it to do well. Really well!  But I want to see real world metrics, based on real professional workflows that span multiple software packages, file formats, and API's. Esp. when it comes to GPU claims.  As a 3D artist I'm locked into CUDA or Optix by force. So no one wants to see real competition more than me. I really want to be wrong, but it smells and sounds like a Hyposaurus Rex to me.