October 18th Apple Event - Unleashed - Apple Silicon, MacBook Pro upgrades, HomePod mini, AirPods 3rd Generation

BondiBlue
Go to solution Solved by BondiBlue,

Summary

The Apple Unleashed event is over! Here are the new products that were announced:

• AirPods
    • New AirPods 3rd Generation: MagSafe wireless charging, Adaptive EQ, and longer battery life
  • HomePod mini
    • In addition to Space Gray and White, HomePod mini now comes in Blue, Yellow, and Orange
  • Apple Music
    • New Voice Plan starts at $4.99/month, allows for Apple Music through Siri, including new custom playlist
  • And yes, new Macs and Apple Silicon
    • The M1 chip is now part of a lineup of three SoC designs, including the M1, M1 Pro, and M1 Max
    • The MacBook Pro has been redesigned, bringing back more ports, MagSafe charging, better battery life, and more
      • The 14" MacBook Pro starts at $1999, and the 16" starts at $2499. The 13" M1 MBP is now the base model
      • Support for up to 64GB of unified memory and 8TB of flash storage
      • M1 Pro and Max both have 10 CPU cores, and M1 Max can have up to 32 GPU cores
      • Fast charging has been added to the MacBook Pro, allowing for up to 50% charge in only 30 minutes

My thoughts

I'm really excited for the new MacBook Pros. I plan on upgrading to a new 16" MacBook Pro within the next couple months, and I can't wait. 

Sources

Apple Events

The Verge

40 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

See the graphics on the “not nvidia” model is interesting as the 11850H has an Intel UHD based iGPU so the Xe GPU in there looks to be a dedicated professional GPU unless the website is wrong.

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/laptops/HP-ZBook-Studio-G8-7th-Gen-Laptop-Intel-Core-i7-11th-Gen-11800H-Intel-Integrated-Iris-Xe-32GB-256GB-SSD-Windows-10

Intel Integrated Iris Xe

And that's even the most low end integrated Iris Xe out there, with only 32 EUs instead of the 96 EUs found in the Intel's G7 CPUs.

40 minutes ago, Imbadatnames said:

Oh and the Zbook isn’t actually one line it’s an overarching brand with separate product lines. Some of which are workstation platforms some aren’t. 

image.png.1a1043db87e57ad7998af8bcd3d9ae0d.png

Let me zoom a little bit here to make it clearer just in case:

image.png.4377232d7d808673eafbad406e90df5c.png

image.png.e3df3615aa0249623070c3a7cc1a7728.png

But do as you please mate, keep telling yourself stories to justify your own ideas and ignore any other arguments against your points, for sure a laptop with a Xeon CPU is meant for gaming with integrated graphics, and not a workstation.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

39 minutes ago, igormp said:

But do as you please mate, keep telling yourself stories to justify your own ideas and ignore any other arguments against your points, for sure a laptop with a Xeon CPU is meant for gaming with integrated graphics, and not a workstation.

Just FYI your picture shows 3 CPU options with Integrated iGPU UHD and 1 with the slightly enhanced integrated iGPU Xe (which is still low end as hell). Regardless it shows perfectly what you stated, a dedicated workstation laptop product line that can be configured/optioned without a dedicated GPU because as we both know not everyone needs or wants one especially if you have to pay extra for it. Also the ZBook product line has AMD and Nvidia RTX options as well as professional RTX GPU options, as well as CPU options all the way down to i5.

And the idea that a workstation MUST come with either a Xeon or a professional GPU, or both, to be a "workstation laptop" is best case an assumption misinterpretation.

Far as I care as long as the product fits your needs for the price you are willing to pay and offers the performance you require then I couldn't care if the OEM/ODM labels it as "workstation" or not.  There is no point listing off professional applications and declaring these are required software to be running to have a "workstation" or "workstation needs" as everyone's projects are different sizes with different requirements and a fabrication workshop building horse floats is no less professional than an archecturual firm designing the next Olympic stadium. Or how about a laptop that is used to run a portable X-Ray or Ultrasound machine which is equipment you'll find in dental trucks that go to schools in my country, which I've had to provide support for. The laptop used for that are just HP Elitebooks not even ZBooks and I say operating an X-Ray is about as professional as you can get.

4 hours ago, HenrySalayne said:

This is by definition the meaning of the word "optimization". 

That’s ridiculous, sorry.

Using x86 software on an x86 CPU is not merely an “optimization”.

Using ARM software on an ARM CPU is not merely an “optimization”.

Using RISC-V software on an RISC-V CPU is not merely an “optimization”.

Using PS2 software on a PS2 instead of using GameCube software is not merely an “optimization”.

Using the Glide API on a Voodoo 2 instead of using Direct3D is not merely an “optimization”.

Unless we’re playing with words.

Those are called big bold in your face watershed software design choices, they aren’t masterfully crafted trickeries to prop-up performances that require years of getting to know the ins and outs of obscure hardware. 

Early PS2 titles vs late PS2 titles, that’s optimization.

Early PS3 titles vs late PS3 titles, that’s optimization. 

That required years, it couldn’t be fast tracked.

Not so much using an M1 Mac as intended. 

11 minutes ago, leadeater said:

because as we both know not everyone needs or wants one especially if you have to pay extra for it

Sadly it seems that it's only both of us that think that while the rest of the world thinks otherwise, and that there's only a single definition of workstation for a single use case as defined by some user before :old-sad: 

(/s)

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

28 minutes ago, leadeater said:

And the idea that a workstation MUST come with either a Xeon or a professional GPU, or both, to be a "workstation laptop" is best case an assumption misinterpretation.

Even desktop workstations don't always have a need for powerful CPU and GPU combos. For example: I own a Dell Precision T3500 workstation that shipped from Dell with dual Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 cards. Those cards are so weak that a Radeon HD 5450 looks like a powerful beast in comparison. However, they weren't intended for intensive workloads. They were chosen because they each offered dual DisplayPort outputs, and combined enabled the system to drive four displays. The motherboard has no integrated graphics. 

The idea that a workstation laptop (or desktop) must have powerful graphics hardware alongside a powerful CPU is just silly. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

3 hours ago, leadeater said:

Just FYI your picture shows 3 CPU options with Integrated iGPU UHD and 1 with the slightly enhanced integrated iGPU Xe (which is still low end as hell). Regardless it shows perfectly what you stated, a dedicated workstation laptop product line that can be configured/optioned without a dedicated GPU because as we both know not everyone needs or wants one especially if you have to pay extra for it. Also the ZBook product line has AMD and Nvidia RTX options as well as professional RTX GPU options, as well as CPU options all the way down to i5.

Far as I care as long as the product fits your needs for the price you are willing to pay and offers the performance you require then I couldn't care if the OEM/ODM labels it as "workstation" or not.  There is no point listing off professional applications and declaring these are required software to be running to have a "workstation" or "workstation needs" as everyone's projects are different sizes with different requirements and a fabrication workshop building horse floats is no less professional than an archecturual firm designing the next Olympic stadium. Or how about a laptop that is used to run a portable X-Ray or Ultrasound machine which is equipment you'll find in dental trucks that go to schools in my country, which I've had to provide support for. The laptop used for that are just HP Elitebooks not even ZBooks and I say operating an X-Ray is about as professional as you can get.

"Workstation" computer is the new "pro".

Just as my computer without a pro in its name is a professional computer because I use it in my profession. My non workstation computer is an actual workstation because I do my work on it.

Tech forums are silly a lot of the times.  

20 hours ago, Imbadatnames said:

MacBooks can be used for general compute, as a hobbyist or for work as a self employed startup requiring a high performance computer. Workstation laptops aren’t for that use case. 

It's like you understand the flaw in your argument but you'll go down fighting anyway.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.