Amazon New world Killing GPU's yet again

darknessblade

Summary

Amazon new world shows yet again issues with GPU's getting damaged, if you do not limit the FPS.

Quotes

{Translated}

While the hype train is rolling, the downside of the new Amazon MMORPG New World is showing up for a few users. Again you can read about the destruction of vulnerable Nvidia graphics cards (RTX 3080/3090). We ourselves are affected by the "brick" problems.

My thoughts

This was to be expected, if the original beta already has this issue, why would you take the risk  playing it without FPS limiter

Sources

https://store.steampowered.com/stats/

https://winfuture.de/news,125475.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/newworldgame/comments/px2dhy/new_world_fried_my_graphics_card_3080ti_anyone/

╔═════════════╦═══════════════════════════════════════════╗
║__________________║ hardware_____________________________________________________ ║
╠═════════════╬═══════════════════════════════════════════╣
║ cpu ______________║ ryzen 9 5900x_________________________________________________ ║
║ GPU______________║ ASUS strix LC RX6800xt______________________________________ _║
║ motherboard_______ ║ asus crosshair formulla VIII______________________________________║
║ memory___________║ CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 ______________________________________║
║ SSD______________║ Samsung 980 PRO 1TB_________________________________________ ║
║ PSU______________║ Corsair RM850x 850W _______________________ __________________║
║ CPU cooler _______ ║ Be Quiet be quiet! PURE LOOP 360mm ____________________________║
║ Case_____________ ║ Thermaltake Core X71 __________________________________________║
║ HDD_____________ ║ 2TB and 6TB HDD ____________________________________________║
║ Front IO__________   ║ LG blu-ray drive & 3.5" card reader, [trough a 5.25 to 3.5 bay]__________║
║ OS_______________ ║ Windows 10 PRO______________________________________________║
╚═════════════╩═══════════════════════════════════════════╝

That pretty much points to a design flaw in those cards.

But it could be a case where people didn't get the fixed version from EVGA and continued using the cards rather than a new flaw/unfixed flaw.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Yeah im wondering, if software can break the hardware, how well was the hardware built to begin with?
Cant they just lock those cards to a limit that wont fry the thing?

I mean its not like overclocking and its cooling are a new concept.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

These could be failures caused by New World, or these could just be normal failures attributed to New World because people are hypersensitive to it after the whole EVGA mess. Hundreds of thousands of people are playing New World. It's guaranteed that some of their GPUs were going to fail anyway, and happened to fail while they were playing New World.

For what it's worth, my money is on the latter.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

got an evga 3090 ftw3 ultra and was playing new worlds earlier and got black screen with 100% fans had to restart using the case button, after first hearing the issue when new world was in beta i used nvidia control panel to put on a 300FPS cap for all games, also i tried the open beta and never had any issues but some of the temps were getting high(evga precision x1 program can view the iCX temp sensors) think one of the modules went up to 70+c?, after the restart i sent off a ticket to evga to see what they say before launching any games incase something dies just hope they respond soon

Just now, BobVonBob said:

It's guaranteed that some of their GPUs were going to fail anyway,

But new GPUs that were released in the past year?

It's very unlikely unless there is a flaw in them.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

But new GPUs that were released in the past year?

It's very unlikely unless there is a flaw in them.

And if they're dying so soon, there was a flaw in them. There are always units of every product that will have crib deaths, it's why warranties exist. That some of those crib deaths happened while playing New World was inevitable with the number of people playing on launch day.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

4 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

There are always units of every product that will have crib deaths, it's why warranties exist. That some of those crib deaths happened while playing New World was inevitable with the number of people playing on launch day.

Considering the fact that only 30 series cards died this way - it's probably not the case here.

That doesn't make sense at all to me though. It only kills two gpu models, the 3080 and 3090, so everything else is fine. From my perspective it looks like the issues lies within the graphics cards rather than within the game. There clearly is a design issues with those GPU's if they are the only ones dying while playing this game.

Graphics cards shouldn't just die while being used in normal scenarios, regardless of workload, and you shouldn't have to cap your frame rate in any game to prevent your gpu from bricking itself. This to me just looks like incompetence from the manufacturers of these cards, since it seems like the cards having issues are from board partners rather than NVIDIA themselves.

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

But it could be a case where people didn't get the fixed version from EVGA and continued using the cards rather than a new flaw/unfixed flaw.

It's far more likely that a significant amount of people didn't know, and only joined New World after their friend/streamers started talking about it.

Like watching a four streamers yesterday wait in queues for three hours was probably not going to discover bricking issues.

could say there are different issues.

but also the fact that newer cards are more power hungry, bigger and demands more cooling.

So a problem with hardware, while this software is seemingly pushing it a bit more than "normal" like with the unlimited FPS issue (working for more frames than needed).

So yes, this problem could be experienced in other titles. However it was noticed with this game, it seems to be more often and what temps it might push.

If I hadn't killed my HD7970 when re-pasting it, I'd have a crack at seeing if it could kill my PSU...because I doubt it was capable of being overstressed enough to fail.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, ouroesa said:

This has been covered, I think.

Believe it was poor soldering on the VRAM that caused the issue.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/poor-soldering-killed-24-evga-geforce-rtx-3090-gpus

This isn't exclusive to EVGA cards though, according to the reddit thread the GPU was a Gigabyte 3080Ti. I also remember Jayztwocents saying it affects AMD cards too. I think the blame is both on manufacturers possibly using cheaper components, and New World pushing cards too much as there isn't a frame limiter.

Crazy how it's pretty much only this game that's killing these "faulty" GPUs.

Even if the soldering is poor, you'd think the cards would break themselves left and right on any other games.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Crazy how it's pretty much only this game that's killing these "faulty" GPUs.

Even if the soldering is poor, you'd think the cards would break themselves left and right on any other games.

This is why I'm in two minds about it. Why is it just this one specific game that seems to disproportionately kill gpus. What is it about this game that pushes a gpu to the point of burning out just because it has an uncapped frame rate?

Yes the soldering may also be bad, but these cards have been out for a while and people don't always play with vync or a frame limiter on, so it should have happened to many other games by now

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

11 hours ago, Vishera said:

Except these weren't all EVGA GPUs...

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Sadly i am the next victim. I regret that i didn't watch last JayzTwoCents video earlier. I bought EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA early this year at January (i know i was lucky bastard that found one at MSRP price). Even i put EK GPU waterblock on it. Everything was fine until today morning. I started New world. After 10 minutes i heard my fans went 100% so went to graphics settings and set it to medium. After apply the monitor went black, but PC was still working. So i rebooted the PC and heart BIOS VGA error beep sound. After second reboot everything was working. Even i ran 3D mark Port royale and 10 minutes Heaven benchmark. I knew about new world beta GPU issues but i was thinking the problem was hotfixed long time ago so i started the game again. When i got to character screen and pressed continue, the monitor went black again and i heard pop sound (like the fuse break) and felt metallic smell from my PC. I immediately turn the PSU power switch off. After few minutes i tried to boot, but no luck. After 10 tries followed by BIOS VGA error beep sound i knew, its 100% dead. I am really hoping the EVGA will claim my warrant despite of fact i got GPU water block on it (i switched original heatsing before claim). This game is cursed!

14 minutes ago, wolf1438 said:

I bought EVGA GeForce RTX 3090 FTW3 ULTRA.

Even i put EK GPU waterblock on it. Everything was fine until today morning.

When i got to character screen and pressed continue, the monitor went black again and i heard pop sound (like the fuse break) and felt metallic smell from my PC. I immediately turn the PSU power switch off. After few minutes i tried to boot, but no luck. After 10 tries followed by BIOS VGA error beep sound i knew, its 100% dead. I am really hoping the EVGA will claim my warrant despite of fact i got GPU water block on it (i switched original heatsing before claim). This game is cursed!

it wasn't your PSU? but yeah, when you hear the pop or smell. RIP.

Not sure why you reduced the fan speed though.

Also don't you use any monitoring software when playing? while it's not needed, it's great to have when playing "demanding" games. Even though new world can be a bit too demanding, hopefully nothing due to DRM or other background processes.

Edited by Quackers101

25 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

it wasn't your PSU? but yeah, when you hear the pop or smell. RIP.

Not sure why you reduced the fan speed though.

Also don't you use any monitoring software when playing? while it's not needed, it's great to have when playing "demanding" games. Even though new world can be a bit too demanding, hopefully nothing due to DRM or other background processes.

I have Corsair RM850x not some explosive cheap Gigabyte and as i said the PC was still running, just the monitor went dark. And about the cooling. I got custom CPU and GPU watercooling with reservoir and 2 280 radiators running 7 140mm Noctua fans on 800 RPM because i wanted silent machine. OFC i have fan curve set to crank up if the temperatures are over 70 degree Celsius, but other games were running just fine. I passed 70 degree only during synthetic benchmark CPU and GPU stress test. Yes i am running monitoring software when i am setting up the graphics of new game but i turned it off after 2 hours waiting in queue and then i was so excited to finally log in that i spend first 10 minutes with gaming, not monitoring.

Yeah by all accounts it's not just GPU's but Servers it's killing :p.

On 9/29/2021 at 12:17 PM, AndreiArgeanu said:

That doesn't make sense at all to me though. It only kills two gpu models, the 3080 and 3090, so everything else is fine. From my perspective it looks like the issues lies within the graphics cards rather than within the game. There clearly is a design issues with those GPU's if they are the only ones dying while playing this game.

Graphics cards shouldn't just die while being used in normal scenarios, regardless of workload, and you shouldn't have to cap your frame rate in any game to prevent your gpu from bricking itself. This to me just looks like incompetence from the manufacturers of these cards, since it seems like the cards having issues are from board partners rather than NVIDIA themselves.

Amazon has managed quite the accomplishment, they've created a game that works like a power virus using a modified Crytek engine. The fact of the matter is the 'faulty graphics cards' are only failing due to the complete incompetence of Amazon programmers creating conditions that no one who wanted good graphics or any other real world GPU intensive application would ever do because it produces no useful output.